Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Problem with the search feature

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-01, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been maintaining a thread entitled "Spanish Language Movie List (R1 DVD)":

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=102547

I need to find it occasionally to make updates. But whenever I do a search for "Spanish", "Language", or whatever in the thread title, I have never been able to get it to show up in the search results.

The only way I find this thread is by doing a search on "Amores Perros", but even then I have to say to search for over 3 months ago (even though the thread was last responded to on August 14).

The problem is that if somebody is interested in Spanish language movies, they would not be able to find the list by doing a search on "Spanish".

Any ideas?
Old 08-17-01, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've noticed problems like that before. I always set the date to "Any date" so that it finds what I'm looking for.
Old 08-17-01, 12:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To sum it up...the search feature on the new forum software.... sucks. It's all about server load.

There was a thread last month about this and has all the details from Geoff.
Old 08-18-01, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Save the bookmark to the thread. Since the search returns a longish HTML url, you will have to take it apart a little to get the standard short HTML version.

An example of a standard dvdTalk thread URL is:

www dvdtalk com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134854

After you find the original thread via Search, look at the URL displayed in your browser's taskbar and find the corresponding thread ID number. Use that number along with the example posted above to redisplay the thread in a new browser window. Once displayed, save that URL to your favorites.

Or you could simply try putting some unique keywords in one of the thread's messages and search for that keyword.

The problem reminds me about Altavista's search engine. Depending on the time of day, it would return different search results based upon how busy it was.