Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

New Review Server!

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

New Review Server!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-01, 06:00 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS. I updated the index page for the review page so that there are now 40 reviews listed!!!!!
That's all I really wanted. My intent wasn't to slam Aaron, only to illustrate my frustration ... it's only natural, given the personal time we each invest, to want our reviews to be read. That means spending more than 48 hours on the main review page before slipping into database obscurity -- only to be unearthed by search engine. I have the least reason to squeek than anyone, I suppose, but I'm not ashamed to do so anyway.

Videohound is an excellent outfit. I hope that works out!

Geoff and Aaron rule. I'm in awe of you both.
Old 10-03-01, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What's this about Video Hound? Give us the scoop!
Old 10-03-01, 06:07 PM
Registered

After I iron out the details I'll give you all the scoop about Videohound.

- G
Old 10-04-01, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

New question: The dvd covers at the top of the review page seem to exclusively show Anna Kournikova, Citizen Kane, Godfather, The Simpsons, and Star Wars I now. Didn't they used to pull from a much wider variety of recent reviews?

And how does the New Review linnk on the top of the forum pages work?
Old 10-04-01, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
There's a hidden flag Geoff sets when approving reviews that can mark certain titles as 'featured reviews'. The review loader gets all featured DVD video reviews from the past 30 days and checks to see if that number is less than a certain specified number (4, as things are set now). If the number of featured reviews is three or less, the script randomly selects four titles from the past 30 days and displays those. However, right now, it seems as if exactly four reviews are marked as featured, so the same titles are being displayed.

There are several ways to handle this. I can:
<ol><li>wait until October 11th, after which point, if no additional reviews are marked as featured, things will return to normal<li>I can increase the number of featured reviews to look for before moving onto all recent reviews<li>I can unmark those current reviews<li>I can remove that code outright</ol>Let me know what I should do and I'll do it...
Old 10-04-01, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Assuming you're asking the general public, I wouldn't tell you what to do (it's not my site). I only was wondering because I remember seeing all sorts of random reviews advertised up there and i think it helped bring people to weird movies that they wouldn't have found out about, even reviews that were off the front page at that point. But whatever way Geoff thinks is most effective is the way he should go about doing things. I'm all for diversity.

Spoiler:
I'd love to see Pink Flamingos get earmarked for special posting...

Last edited by Gil Jawetz; 10-04-01 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-04-01, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
I went ahead and unmarked those four reviews. I'll remove that code next time I send Geoff an update.
Old 10-05-01, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ah, that's cool. Now it's pulling a nice mix.

You know, I was wondering if it might be interesting to have one of the images be something like "Classic Review" or something that specifically pulls from older reviews, just to keep them in circulation. I think people do find out about a lot of movies they wouldn't normally know about through these reviews. I dunno.

Another idea I had that no one responded to was adding a Review Search feature to the Price Search box in the forum pages.

Last edited by Gil Jawetz; 10-05-01 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-05-01, 12:07 PM
Registered

I played around with adding a review search box near the price search box, but I couldn't work it where I liked they way it looked. What I DID do was add a link to the DVD Review DB from the pull down menu and we rotate covers for reviews at the top...
Old 10-05-01, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You wouldn't want to do something like this?

The "go" button frees up some space and having the button say search is a little redundant.
Old 10-05-01, 05:44 PM
Registered

That would shfit the main part of the forum down another row, and I've gone to some legnths to keep the forum up to where it is. Also the double search box looks really cluttery in that spot.

Thanks for the idea, I'm open to ideas just trying to find the best fit.