Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

editing polls

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-01, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
editing polls

is it possible to allow people to edit their own polls? (only mods can do this at the moment) i sometimes makes seplling mistakes or might feel like adding a category.
i can see how this could lead to 'abuse' but lets face it we're not electing a President here. it's just a DVD poll so it won't really matter that much if someone decides to mess with their own poll.
Old 07-26-01, 06:44 AM

^^^

???
Old 07-26-01, 01:52 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This would be a change Geoff would have to make in the software. And given his busy schedule, you'd probably be waiting a while even if he did agree to do it.

Personally, I think it's a bad idea. If you're going to have a poll setup like we have here, then it shouldn't be editable. If you make a mistake you can still delete the thread and start over again. I realize that that's a bit of a hassle, but really, spelling errors happen so frequently here it will just make you seem like part of the "in crowd"
Old 07-26-01, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
wouldnt it cause the percentages to be off, if you edit a poll mid way through it

although bushdog and randy have been good about editing the polls to add choices that more people would vote for
Old 07-26-01, 04:16 PM

it is not really the spelling that i'm worried about tbh. i would like the ability to add categories if there is a request to do so. i'm sure the other forum mods are very good about doing this but i don't hang around in there as much as the rest of the forums. i can see the potential for abuse. it's just that it would become obvious if somebody was doing it and people would inevitably boycott the thread. besides, like i said before, they're just a popularity contest so no big deal if someone did decide to mess about with their own poll.
Old 07-26-01, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Editing a poll in vBulletin gives the editor the ability to alter votes as well. As poll editing is currently implemented, it should be restricted to moderators only. If you'd like to see users have the ability to edit polls, visit <a href="http://www.vbulletin.com">vBulletin</a>'s site and drop them a line.
Old 07-27-01, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by ctyner
Editing a poll in vBulletin gives the editor the ability to alter votes as well. As poll editing is currently implemented, it should be restricted to moderators only. If you'd like to see users have the ability to edit polls, visit <a href="http://www.vbulletin.com">vBulletin</a>'s site and drop them a line.
Not that I don't trust the members (and not that I do either), but any editing permissions will allow the poll starter to manipulate the poll, changing one entry with another. Maybe not be a good thing, unless the ability was limited to the first couple minutes of posting the poll (like how members can edit the subject in the first couple of minutes).
Old 07-27-01, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
now would we really do that?
Old 07-28-01, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by namja

Not that I don't trust the members (and not that I do either), but any editing permissions will allow the poll starter to manipulate the poll, changing one entry with another. Maybe not be a good thing, unless the ability was limited to the first couple minutes of posting the poll (like how members can edit the subject in the first couple of minutes).
yeah- i screwed up up on my title and i was unable to change it because it was a poll ,but namja saved the day

I would love to be able to change the title however if it is tough then just leave it. it is not like there are not more important things to do here-

LIKE TSHIRTS!!

sorry for the shouting
Old 02-23-03, 08:35 AM
Banned

Static Cling knows how to edit polls real nice.

Old 02-23-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Static also edited this poll
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...highlight=dogs
but due to my complaining/curiosity he changed it back.
Old 02-24-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: editing polls

Originally posted by Fur Q
i sometimes makes seplling mistakes