Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search problems

Old 07-11-01, 05:22 PM

Search problems

I was trying to search for "universal remote" and it couldn't find anything for me. And it would only find 3 thread with that in the text, and it didn't even bring up that large thread in HTH with the title, paraphrased "My HTH setup is complete except for ...." that had a lot of posts about remotes.

I was looking to buy a new one that would work with my SHARP VHS, Panasonic RP91, and my Philips TV.
Old 07-14-01, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=125348

No two charactor searches? What about Pi?
Old 07-14-01, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate to say this, but this new engine so far sucks.

I miss the old one. It was the best. Now I can't find crap either. I tried looking for one of my threads "Bloodsport on dvd?" and no matter how much I came up with ways, no avail. This engine is not working for me at all either.
Old 07-14-01, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't make many specific complaints, but I have to agree that it is just generally difficult to find things with the new search engine. I had to try several times to find a mention of the game boy advance in the video game forum. The highlight feature is fun to play with, though...
Old 07-14-01, 04:43 PM
Mod Emeritus

Bump.

Is this being addressed? The feature does seem to be flawed.
Old 07-14-01, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have to say the search engine on this software version sucks. Searches turn up no results sometimes when i knwo for certain there are titles of threads with those words. Its really frustrating cause i use the search feature alot, and being able to accuratly search cuts down on double posts.
Old 07-14-01, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
I have to say the search engine on this software version sucks. Searches turn up no results sometimes when i knwo for certain there are titles of threads with those words. Its really frustrating cause i use the search feature alot, and being able to accuratly search cuts down on double posts.
I have to agree. It makes my job harder, too.
Old 07-14-01, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is NOT GOOD!!!

Otherwise, we are going to start seeing double post threads because posts of the same manner cannot be found or dug up because search is sterile.
Old 07-14-01, 06:56 PM

Here is an example which pissed me off last night

[brag] With all this flooz i've gotten thanks to DVDtalk [/brag] I'm looking to get a Game syetem... SO i was looking up info.

A search for Xbox turned up No results... yet.. uh oh.. here is a thread right here with Xbox in the title...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=120573

Whats up with that?

Anybody else notice at the bottom of the thread listing, where you can configure which threads yo see and in what order.. In one pull down menu it says:
view all threads since:
The last month
Thelast 6 months
The last year
THE BEGGINING

Last edited by ClarkKentKY; 07-14-01 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-14-01, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Quote from search engine:
The search term you specified (on) is under the minimum word length (3) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.
My search is 5-10 words long!!!!!!!

Old 07-14-01, 11:18 PM

Another thing i find slightly annoying is this:

I used to have a search for all forums i've posted in, Bookmarked. That way i could keep an eye on threads i've been involved in by just clicking on my favorites. HOWEVER with the new software each search is identified by a number, so it wouldn't update that search. So now i have to manually go and type "search for posts by user: Clarkkentky" each time i want to check my active threads.... i know, boo hoo, but it was somethign i used to use alot on here. Anyone know a fix to that?
Old 07-14-01, 11:55 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Pestilence
Quote from search engine:

My search is 5-10 words long!!!!!!!

I think they want each word to be more than 3 letters long. Very frustrating when I was searching for the movie "Yi Yi". Argh!
Old 07-15-01, 05:04 AM
Mod Emeritus

<SMALL>
Originally posted by ClarkKentKY I used to have a search for all forums i've posted in, Bookmarked. That way i could keep an eye on threads i've been involved in by just clicking on my favorites. HOWEVER with the new software each search is identified by a number, so it wouldn't update that search. So now i have to manually go and type "search for posts by user: Clarkkentky" each time i want to check my active threads....
</SMALL>I had the same system in place that checked the last few days of threads I'd participated in. As you say, the shortcut no longer works and it requires a new search each time. It would be interesting for the programmers to explain what they were thinking of on this particular "improvement"! That said, aside from the one or two bugbears, the software is pretty impressive.
Old 07-15-01, 01:23 PM

Well if i'm right in thinking that each search is assigned a new number, then its more than likely for tracking or loging purposes. But it would be sweet if a mod had a workaround for this. It's such a handy way to see the activity in threads you're in.
Old 07-16-01, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=125788

Member having problem. Hope this issue gets addressed. It means a lot to the forums and to how it can avoid clogging of duplicate threads. This is my last voiceing on this issue since I don't want to irritate or annoy Geoff with my whining.

Peace out.
Old 07-16-01, 02:33 AM
Stealth Moderator

i had a really hard time doing a search for "x10" in the other bargains forum.
Old 07-16-01, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try searching for user reviews of Hitchcock's The 39 Steps.
Old 07-16-01, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn even the Mods are complaining! So do we have to live with this? Im sure will get by somehow.
Old 07-17-01, 01:35 AM
Registered

Here's the deal.

The Search sucks. No it doesn't suck per say, but it's the weakest link of the new upgrade

When we upgraded the database it had to create a search index, it took 5 hours and doubled the size of the database. To make it even work we had to limit the index to only do 5 letter or more words. Yep that sucks.

But once we upgraded and indexed we changed it to index 3 letter or more words. So.... there are a lot of posts that have been posted that have 3 letter key words which aren't indexed. I know sukkkee.

But going forward, it should be better, for newer threads it should do a reasonable job. Also you can use combo words like

sound and surround

There are a number of bitch and moan threads on the developers forum about the search issue and I am sure they will work on optimizing it more in future releases.

Hope this helps clarify things
Old 07-17-01, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The "sticky" thread at the top of the DVD Talk forum will solve alot of problems, thats the forum youre most likely to get the Do A Search comments. Thats a perfectly good short term solution IMO.
Old 07-17-01, 03:09 AM

Thanks for the post Geoff!
Old 07-17-01, 03:14 AM
Stealth Moderator

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
Thanks for the post Geoff!
Really. That explained a lot. Nice to know that the problem really isn't the search engine itself. I gues with time, the search process will be much better.