Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

How about an end to "Whining" comments?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

How about an end to "Whining" comments?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-01, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a suggestion.

Has anyone else noticed the increasing number of comments from members that certain topics are "stupid" or "petty", and that one side or the other is "whining" or "crying", or should "get a life because there are more important issues" (or some variation of these comments).

I'm drawn to a good healthy debate, so threads that develop into argumentative discussions interest me. Inevitably, someone will jump into the thread with nothing more to offer than an accusation of "whining". To me, this is no different than a personal attack, because it is saying to to other members that their opinions do not matter. I would say most people feel the same, because most "whining" comments seem to attract flames in retaliation.

If someone isn't interested in the discussion, they should simply move along. I would suggest that people making such derogatory comments be "officially" told that more often.

Old 06-22-01, 06:16 PM
Suspended

Agree 100%
Old 06-22-01, 06:40 PM
Suspended

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...3&pagenumber=2

Its comments like this thats making this forum turn real bad real fast, no one can can talk anymore without some jerk coming in and saying crap like this.
Old 06-22-01, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wonder who sparked the creation of this thread.
Old 06-22-01, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by TexasGuy

If someone isn't interested in the discussion, they should simply move along. I would suggest that people making such derogatory comments be "officially" told that more often.

People can still contribute wealth to the conversation even though they consider other people "whining".
Old 06-22-01, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by Bob Dylan
Yes, I am getting sick of people complaining about packaging. Quite frankly, if you complain you are a loser. Seriously, get a fuc*ing life! Go get some exercise or do something productive.
Edited to retract statements to TaTTooD, as I can see them misconstrued and possibly inflammatory. Nothing was meant.

-Matt

[Edited by RMan360 on 06-22-01 at 05:10 PM]
Old 06-22-01, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Originally posted by MJKTool

Its comments like this thats making this forum turn real bad real fast, no one can can talk anymore without some jerk coming in and saying crap like this.
He made another lovely comment, albeit not profane, in the Goonies thread.

Senor Dylan needs a talking to.
Old 06-22-01, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by TaTTooD
People can still contribute wealth to the conversation even though they consider other people "whining".
If they want to contribute, then they should contribute constructively. Telling someone they are whining is rude and inflammatory. For example, saying "I think you are overreacting" is contributing to the discussion, but saying "Stop crying and whining" is being derogatory and insulting.

Something that is important to me may have no importance to you and vice-versa. There is no reason we have to belittle each other just because we don't feel about it the same way.

BTW, I'm not singling out anything you did, TattooD, I brought this up because I read about a dozen threads today with this very same problem.
Old 06-22-01, 11:17 PM

There aren't many people I don't like here but this guy is definitely one of the few trolls that spoils the mood of nearly every thread he replies to. Why he hasn't yet been banned is beyond me.
Old 06-22-01, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm just ducking in to assure you all that the posts of certain members have not gone unnoticed. Action will be taken; sometimes discussion between the mods about what to do has to take place first...

To address the original topic: I, too, find "whining" posts irritating. Eradicating them is nearly impossible, but things have gotten worse lately (at least in the Talk forum) and I've been addressing more members directly as a result.

--Heather
Old 06-23-01, 03:41 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A classic response in some debates about political matters is when the rebuttal <i>"if you don't like things here you ought to go and live in china."</i>

Anyone posting that automatically qualifies for my drongo of the week award.
Old 06-24-01, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Agree 100%

DITTO