Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

about bannings / suspensions in general . . .

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

about bannings / suspensions in general . . .

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-01, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLEASE - do not mention individual names - i'm looking for an answer/discussion, not a quick lock-up

geoff,

i have a request. i'm asking that when another dvdtalk member asks about someone else's suspension/banning, we get a straight-forward reply. and not just in email, a reasonable post somewhere that answers the question for everyone to see. i think this goes well for two reasons:

firstly, as a preventative measure - so that we can assertively understand what goes on behind a suspension/banning and hope not to overstep those boundaries

secondly, as an assurance measure - so that we can believe in you, your site, your beliefs. giving an archaic one-line reply to someone who inquires about a suspension does not really lay the calm for everyone else who may fret that they are the next to go.

at the end of the day, your site, is your site; you could reasonably ban someone for liking pepsi if you felt like it. but we know you wouldn't and that's a big reason we like to come here.

i trust you find this request a reasonable one, and you can at least consider it. if nothing else geoff, i'm hoping for the same thing you are, to make this forum a better place for everyone.

-qbert
Old 05-08-01, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or maybe there could be a thread listing people who were banned (and maybe the suspensions also), listing the general reason (e.g. personal attack, was advertising his own site repeatedly despite warnings, kept trolling despite warnings, etc).

As you know, a number of banned members return under different user names. When people know who was banned, they would know who to look for as well as what activities to avoid at this site.

Edited to add: Ah, I see why the thread was started. My comments were meant to be general comments, not specifically about any recent bans.

[Edited by Heat on 05-08-01 at 08:32 AM]
Old 05-08-01, 10:57 AM
Registered

In general we try to make it as clear as possiable who is banned and why. The tough thing is that Banning and Suspending members is often a very complicated issue and sometimes people are banned because we discover 2 accounts, or trolling activity.

Sometimes it's based on info that we discover which doesn't make sense to disclose.

Also if you remember a while back I posted a note to this forum asking people to give the mods a break and not call them to task on every administrative action they do, having constant lists of people who are banned and suspended just throws the issue up for debate.

The truth is, it's our job to 'keep the peace' here, and so we do what we can to remove abusive and abrasive members from our forum. DVD Talk is a membership organization, while membership IS FREE it's not a God given right, some people forget that.

Old 05-08-01, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<B>Geoff:</b> Sure, we understand that. But it seems like <i>whenever</i> an Other gets suspended or banned, it's almost INEVITABLE that a "Why was <b>(x)</b> banned?" thread shows up.

Perhaps it would be a better policy for an administrator to head this off at the pass, and whenever a member is suspended/banned, have someone post an explanation in Other? Just a simple "Admin action: <b>Junaid</b> has been banned" thread with an explanation. <i>Even if</i> you don't want to disclose the reason, just putting a "This user has been banned. Unfortunately, we feel that we should keep this matter private and won't share the reason." sort of thread would help a lot.

Not only would this stop all the dumb speculation that always crops up anyway, but it would serve as an example to others about what <i>not</i> to do.

Just my $0.01.

- David Stein
Old 05-09-01, 12:42 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by sfsdfd
<B>Geoff:</b> Sure, we understand that. But it seems like <i>whenever</i> an Other gets suspended or banned, it's almost INEVITABLE that a "Why was <i>(x)</i> banned?" thread shows up.
Unless I don't know something, or my lowercase sibling has been banned, please don't use me as an example. "X" is not the only variable, you know. You could use "safdsf" for instance.
Old 05-09-01, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by X
Unless I don't know something, or my lowercase sibling has been banned, please don't use me as an example. "X" is not the only variable, you know. You could use "safdsf" for instance.
but you are suspended. whoa.

(this is why we need a "what happened?" thread )

DJ
Old 05-09-01, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wuh Duh Fuh? I could have sworn he wasn't suspended an hour ago
Old 05-09-01, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now what happened to X?
Old 05-09-01, 07:58 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by SnoopDogg
Now what happened to X?
\

I was wondering the same thing... maybe something was deleted or took place "behind the scenes".
Old 05-09-01, 08:09 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
i always want to know why someone has been suspended/banned because

a) I think it's a good learning tool for everyone as to what is and what is not acceptable in the forums

b) I'm a noisy bast*rd !
Old 05-09-01, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

X doesn't appear suspended to me. What are you guys talking about???
Old 05-09-01, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Bushdog
Up until about half an hour ago, his status was showing up as "Suspended"... and all of a sudden, it just changed back again
Old 05-09-01, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by TheyCallHimJim
Up until about half an hour ago, his status was showing up as "Suspended"... and all of a sudden, it just changed back again
I was being droll. For whatever reason it said suspended by his name and I fixed it after he emailed me. I think it may have been a glitch. That or someone took administrative action and didn't mention it to me.
Old 05-09-01, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was being droll. For whatever reason it said suspended by his name and I fixed it after he emailed me. I think it may have been a glitch. That or someone took administrative action and didn't mention it to me.
D'oh...

You better hope it was the former, though, because if it was the latter... well, the consequences don't even bear thinking about
Old 05-09-01, 10:27 AM
Registered

X was suspened because his e-mail address was invalid and we were getting TONS of bounced e-mail messages from his 'notify me when people respond'.

Old 05-09-01, 12:06 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Thanks everyone for noticing and caring. Or was it just morbid curiosity wanting to see how bad a post I might have made?

We're having mail server upgrading problems and I didn't realize that not having a valid mail server gave DVDTalk hiccups. Geoff explained it to me and I am using another e-mail address temporarily. Live and learn...
Old 05-09-01, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by gkleinman
X was suspened because his e-mail address was invalid and we were getting TONS of bounced e-mail messages from his 'notify me when people respond'.
Hmm... I guess it woulda been too hard to take his name off your <strike>spam</strike> newsletter list...

- David Stein
Old 05-14-01, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

LOL well I guess he did respond as to why X had been suspended...might not be a general policy but it doesn't sound like he's inclined to do that...came here fishing for if Junaid's posts over in studio talk were the reason he was suspended...no biggie to me either way, only curious...I don't get over to this forum much, it seems awfully serious!
Old 05-16-01, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's use the variable "y" from now on.
Old 05-18-01, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Desmondp
b) I'm a noisy bast*rd !
Well quiet down. We're trying to carry on a conversation here.
Old 05-19-01, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think this is actually a good idea, specificaly in the other forum, where people are more friendly, and would like to know why a buddy of theirs got banned.
Old 05-19-01, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Thunderball
I think this is actually a good idea, specificaly in the other forum, where people are more friendly, and would like to know why a buddy of theirs got banned.
If they are such a good buddy, just email them and ask. Sometimes it is best to keep these things quiet for everyone's benefit.
Old 05-28-01, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I could have sworn there was a more recent thread about this, but I can't find it anywhere... so...

I'm gonna also ask politely for a bit more "openness" about banning and the like. Today, for example, I noticed that a new member (Cerberus) had been banned overnight... looked at their posts, nothing, not even a mention of being a formerly banned member. Presumably they were banned for being a formerly banned member who got caught, but nonetheless it doesn;t make the place seem very friendly when people can vanish without so much as a cursory explanation being offered, and without it even being made clear who did the banning...

I'm not asking for a lengthy justification fo the mods' actions, just an informative post so people know what's happened. For example, on banning a member, the mod in question could start a thread in Other entitled "[member]: Bannned." and, inside, present a concise explanation, for example, "[member] banned for being returning banned member [other member]." or whatever. The thread could then be locked to prevent any arguing on the forum, and if anyone had a problem with the banning, then they'd know why the member was banned, and more importantly, who did it, so they can take the matter up in email. If anyone posts in future "Why was [member[ banned???" then a simple link to the thread could be posted.

Just a suggestion. But there seem to be lots of people being banned lately, and it's not very pleasant just seeing people anonymously banned with no explanation or apparent reason offered.
Old 05-28-01, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Jim, the problem is, even as a banned member, they are a member who deserves respect. I'm remiss to make these matters public.

and if anyone had a problem with the banning, then they'd know why the member was banned, and more importantly, who did it, so they can take the matter up in email.
This is actually flawed for two reasons, IMHO. First of all, bannings are rarely unilateral actions by moderators. We discuss it, or at least get some feedback, unless it is an egregious case where we have to act with speed. Such being the case, there is no one moderator to talk to.

Second of all, while a thread closing, etc. . . is arguable, a banning usually isn't. I'm not saying I'm unwilling to listen to arguments, I *am* saying that if we go to the extreme measure of banning someone, it is because we have irrefutable evidence they have committed a bannable offense.

And yes, Cerberus=Orson=Orson F=Junaid. Plus he has a couple of other membernames he thinks I am unaware of.
Old 05-28-01, 04:31 AM
Mod Emeritus

<small>Originally posted by TheyCallHimJim
I could have sworn there was a more recent thread about this, but I can't find it anywhere... so...</small>
I put up a post on Friday which, in part, was asking about what is suggested in this thread. It also included a couple of other questions. After I got a reply (coincidentally mentioning <b>Orson</b> who, I am sorry to say, purports to be a Brit!) I said I'd delete it after a set period unless it was locked in the interim.

Funnily enough, I thought the other guy you mentioned was a returner but had not linked him in my mind with <b>Orson</b>! So it seems like most of those people being banned are actually the same person!

I feel the same as you about "anonymous" bannings and so am in the dichotomy of seeming to question Moderator actions, against Geoff's stated wishes. As it happens I disagree that there should be a duty of confidentiality: isn't that more akin to having secret trials rather than allowing justice to be seen to be done? There would be nothing much wrong with a Hall of Shame which folks could peruse. It could even be mentioned in the FAQ!!

(I won't mention this subject again before July, if at all).

[Edited by benedict on 05-28-01 at 02:35 AM]

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.