Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Mods need to be anonymous

Old 04-17-01, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the idea of knowing who exactly the Mods are. It adds to the sense of community here, and it allows you to address them on a one on one basis if you have problems with them or vice versa. The key to any problem is to handle it like adults and not go to extremes if a mod happens to disagree with you. The moderators have a hard enough job as it is, with many of the deadbeats and trolls who come here to post. If members follow the forum rules for the most part, everything runs smoothly. Problems occur when users try to push the limits.

J
Old 04-17-01, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think people will see this as mods hiding behind a curtain of anonymity. It would further damage the relationship between moderators and members.

- David Stein
Old 04-17-01, 01:42 AM
Retired

Originally posted by randyc
in other posts by dvder and other mods.
I think you misunderstood a basic point (and I could have very well failed to make it clear). I did not mean accountable to Geoff. I meant to the user base.

Sure Geoff would stop a mod run amuck. I am not talking about that. I am talking about the constant little things that might change when handled by an anon mod. [/B][/QUOTE]

No I caught that. Members would still hold you accountable. You would just be mod 7 to them instead of randyc. In reality we are all anonymous, except for those like me and you that use our name, or part of it, as our Id's. I mean Bushdog is just as anonymous as Mod 7. I don't think mods need to be held accountable as members. They should be able to have seperate identitys. If you screw up as Mod 7, you lose that role and keep your member account. Your still accountable, the members could say Mod 7 is unfair, etc. and get your mod resposibility taken away. I won't argue any further, as it's not that big a deal. I just don't want to see you, or bushdog, or any of the other mods ran off in an unfortunate event like what happened to kenwood.

sfsdfd,

I agree that it would further seperate mods and members. That could be a good thing though. Maybe they could be a little sticter. If they are too strict now, no one will treat them as a normal member when they are just posting like a normal member. If we didn't know what mod was what member, that wouldn't be an issue. Maybe they could even cut down on the banality in other. Hey, we can dream can't we?

MasterJ,

If they all had a unique anonymous name, say Mod 1, Mod 2, Mod 3, you could still talk to them on a one-to-one basis. Say bushdog is mod3, and he closes your thread. You're pissed about it and want to talk to him about it. The only difference would be that in the e-mail you would say "Hey Mod 3" instead of "Hey Bushdog." The key is to have unique, anonymous mod id's. I wouldn't want everyone to just show up as "DVD Talk Moderator" You have to keep them different so each mod can be held accountable for their action. However, by being anonymous they can post as a normal member. If we had this in place Kenwood could have resigned his Mod x id and stayed as Kenwood. We wouldn't have known that he was Mod x so there would be no problem with it. Though there would have to be a policy of mods not getting involved in threads/attacks involving their normal id, in this case Mod x(kenwood) would/should e-mail another mod to deal with it. Otherwise the anonymous mod power could be abused.

[Edited by joshhinkle on 04-16-01 at 10:48 PM]
Old 04-17-01, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think on occasion the mods or geoff do this any way, quietly close down a thread. I think we need to have a person to go to, Email RandyC since he is not all seeing and knowing, and on first glance something may not catch his attention, but upon closer examination after being brought to his attention may see that there is a problem. I think that most of this what this suggestion is suggesting can be accomplished in other ways

#1 Respect the moderators, Do not lash out at them in open discussion for an action they have taken. If you have a problem (hey they are human, they don't get paid, and they are just as capible of crossing the line) Email them, Another moderator, or Geoff. Insult only makes things worse, this started out simple enough, had it not been componded by open discussion about the inablity of the moderator to reason.

#2 For the Moderators, Generally there is more then one mod to a fourm, i would think from their standpoint it would be wise in a situation that personally effects them to Let another moderator or Administrator deal with the situation. Step back and move on. If needed Quietly close the thread with out dicussion then take it up with another moderator when they are avalible.

Knowing who the moderators are is a good thing, they are more then policemen steping in to Ticket you, they are there to help you. Help you get acustomed to the fourm, like for the newbies I don't know where this belongs type stuff. If we see them as the cop that Might be hanging around the corner waiting for us to cross the line, we cannot respect them, we simply fear them.

I think it is up to us as fourm members to, Self moderate, if we know we have crossed the line or will cross the line fix it. If someone else has crossed the line let the moderartor know, if we think the moderator has crossed the line let geoff know and then DROP IT. No matter what Retain respect for what the moderator is trying to do. There was a reason be it well thought out or not that they closed the thread, susspended the member moved the thread or what ever, they are simply trying to keep this an enjoyable fourm where we can discuss what we want to with out worrying that troll is going to start a fight with us and make our stay unpleasant.

And Remeber this you can Please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time but you cannot please all of the people all of the time, This is a comunity of around 18000 posters (1-2000 who post somewhat regularly) Thats a lot of toes to step around, the mods are bound to mis-step once in ahile, thats no reason to publicly bash them. And certainly no reason to send them nasty emails. Be Polite.

uh shutting up
Old 04-18-01, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I disagree with this idea.

I like the idea of moderators both participating
and cleaning house when necessary. Some threads
are also locked because the thread starter is personally
picking on a particular moderator, just to sass
him/her, e.g. RandyC: race car driving is not a sport!
or :how many can post here before Bushdog sees it?
I think this sort of relationship would be destroyed
by anonimity. Also, it would spawn 600 'who locked
my thread and why?' threads. Its easier now to see
who locked the thread, and then email that moderator
if they feel a problem exists.

I think knowing who our moderators are and where they
stand is more important than the *rare* blurring of
power...
Old 04-18-01, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You would still be able to tease RandyC. You would still be able to e-mail the mod that closed the thread.

I am not really surprised the mods are against this, they don't get paid. The only benefit I can see to being a mod is that when posting as a member you are less likely to be disagreed with. The problems seem to outweigh the advantages in my opinion.

Old 04-18-01, 05:28 PM
Registered

Mods are people and we pick them because of the relationship they have with the people in the forum they moderate. I'd hate to see a day where a nameless faceless mod came in and closed a thread, it's just not the same as having one closed by someone you know and trust.