Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

A moderator stepping over the line ...

Old 04-15-01, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Heh sorry WOOD, looks like SKIPPY put you in your place once he posted the picture of the shirt, you didnt seem really mad until after that post. Gimmie a break I love all of you guys but lets play nice. Im actually wondering if damn skippy is black which would have meant he took high offense to the first post about being a damn slave I dunno. Kind of a bad call if he is. But again I dont know.
Old 04-15-01, 10:05 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Bust
...I think the post that got him suspended was probably the one with the pic of his shirt
Originally posted by JUGhead
...like SKIPPY put you in your place once he posted the picture of the shirt...
I've got a Polo like that too. You can own one too for $38.00.

Old 04-15-01, 11:21 AM
Retired

Originally posted by FREEJG
Why do I think that a member with a lower post count would have been banned?
If some one is new, and has a low post count, and posts offensive stuff, they are probably a troll. However, if someone has been here a long time, posts a lot, and has never caused a problem before, that should be taken into consideration. They have a history of being a good, contributing member, the new person has no history, and is already causing trouble. It could easily be construed that this member came here to cause problems. Especially with the high rate of losers we have coming back after be banned.
Old 04-15-01, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would just like to add my .02

Kenwood, Namja, randyc, Bushdot, etc, all have a very tough job. Each day they routinely have to deal with 1000+ users, most with very different opinions. And I have to say they do a very good job.

Maybe damn_skippy stepped over the line? I mean, Kenwood did give him a warning, and he continued.

Ive no problem with damn_skippy, nor do I have one with Kenwood, I just think this whole problem is being blown out of proportion.

Old 04-15-01, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Calm down, fellas. I'm sure damn_drunk can handle a week without posting. He's not that much of a loser(I think.)

P.S.-I'm not gona choose a side because if I pick Kenwood's side, I would look like a kiss ass and if I picked damn_skippy's side, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. So, I just say you both are big dorks.
Old 04-15-01, 12:51 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Personally, I think anyone who gets this worked up over a forum and its keepers really SHOULD take a week or more break from the scene. Just to reconnect with reality. Maybe even go outside.
Old 04-15-01, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by joshhinkle
Why do I think that a member with a lower post count would have been banned?
If some one is new, and has a low post count, and posts offensive stuff, they are probably a troll. However, if someone has been here a long time, posts a lot, and has never caused a problem before, that should be taken into consideration. They have a history of being a good, contributing member, the new person has no history, and is already causing trouble. It could easily be construed that this member came here to cause problems. Especially with the high rate of losers we have coming back after be banned.
If someone has a post count of aroundd 400 but has been registered since mid-2000, they are probably not a troll. In that circumstance from bannings I've witnessed in the past, they'd be gone.

Mods, what's that magic number of posts one must hit to gain near immunity?
Old 04-15-01, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If someone has a post count of aroundd 400 but has been registered since mid-2000, they are probably not a troll. In that circumstance from bannings I've witnessed in the past, they'd be gone.
Really? Who?

Mods, what's that magic number of posts one must hit to gain near immunity?
No magic number, no immunity. When we consider suspensions/bannings we consider who the poster is, as well as what they posted. If they have a history it is easier to see if this action was out of the ordinary and was just some weird situation that came up.

Having posted a lot doesn't buy you a damned thing from us. It does give us a basis to contextualize an offending post though.
Old 04-15-01, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

FreeJG... there is no magic number. That would be simplistic thinking if there was. I have looked at members with less than 10 posts and reviewed what they posted and concluded that have added value to the forums...and I take that into consideration. Someone that posts only crap, will get less consideration. And someone can (and has) gotten suspended/banned even with a large post count. NOFX is one example. Another was Istagi. And there are many more...

I think some of the perception is skewed because a larger number of newbies are banned than veterans...but does not that make sense? Logic would tell you that a veteran is still a veteran because they have not been banned. And they understand the rules. A troll or someone that is causing problems....will not be around long enough to be a veteran.

There is no immunity.

Noel..
Old 04-15-01, 02:47 PM
Registered

Thanks for voicing your thoughts on this issue. I've stepped in here and spoke to both parties in this matter.

Without going into a lot of detail here are some of my concluding thoughts on this:

- Regaurdless of what might be construed as a personal attack here, the thread obviously broke down to a member v. member 'whose got the better access' thread. Without assesing blame I think it's important to point out that all involved should have realized that the thread was heading towards a fight.

- If a member attacks another member, moderator or not, they should expect some form of administrative response. In this case there HAS been administrative response. I've addressed the situation with all parties involved.

- My e-mail address is [email protected], if there's something going on in the forum that needs my attention, e-mail me and I will give it my full attention. Threads like this can end up making things more inflamed.

Thanks