Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Upgrading to Blu-Ray

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Upgrading to Blu-Ray

Old 03-07-20, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Upgrading to Blu-Ray

What do you do with the DVDs? I am trying to keep both disks, and have to decide on which packaging to keep. Lots of my DVDs have excellent packaging so I put the Blu-Ray in the main slot and slip the dvd into the side where there is no holder. If there is a product page, then that helps protect the surface, and I can add some paper to protect if not.

What about the Blu-Rays that come with DVDs. Give them to the library, to family, friends, or toss them? Selling them seems to much effort, as used DVDs sell (or don't sell) at a $1 each. I know I have bought a lot of them at that price, movies that I might only watch once a decade if even that.
Old 03-07-20, 12:15 PM

Re: Upgrading to Blu-Ray

I still keep my older DVDs of movies because of certain bonus features that the blu rays just dont have.

also the only time i really get into and buy a blu ray that i want is when there's a fancy special collectors anniversay blu ray for old 1980s horror movies from Poltergeist II to whatever.

as for new movies today, i can find a 2 disc DVD of It Chapter 2 at a grocery store where I cant even find the 2 disc DVD at frikkin Walmart or Target and I have looked.

Plus i prefer buying tv shows for DVD instead of blu ray. I have my reasons
Old 03-07-20, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by urrutiap View Post
I still keep my older DVDs of movies because of certain bonus features that the blu rays just dont have.

also the only time i really get into and buy a blu ray that i want is when there's a fancy special collectors anniversay blu ray for old 1980s horror movies from Poltergeist II to whatever.

as for new movies today, i can find a 2 disc DVD of It Chapter 2 at a grocery store where I cant even find the 2 disc DVD at frikkin Walmart or Target and I have looked.

Plus i prefer buying tv shows for DVD instead of blu ray. I have my reasons
I can't believe that I regularly find Blu-Ray movies that come with DVDs, that is less expensive then the DVDs by themselves. Lots and lots of DVD users out there, and I guess they keep the market alive, unknowingly paying more for less.

The 4K is bundling Blu-Rays, but the price is still high for the 4k, but interesting how the industry prices things. I do really like streaming, but only as a subscriber, not a buyer of streaming movies. Perhaps one day it will all be streaming, but as of now the shows and movies are all with different providers.
Old 03-07-20, 09:57 PM

speaking of those 4K releases of certain movies, just like the special anniversary stuff from Shout/Scream i'd only buy a 4K blu ray release if they have actual brand new bonus features for the regular blu ray or a combination of older blu ray bonus features.

For example, the 4K blu ray of John Carpenter's Halloween, the regular blu ray has good bonus features including a trivia track