DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Upgrading to Blu-Ray (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/650016-upgrading-blu-ray.html)

MrVette99 03-07-20 11:03 AM

Upgrading to Blu-Ray

What do you do with the DVDs? I am trying to keep both disks, and have to decide on which packaging to keep. Lots of my DVDs have excellent packaging so I put the Blu-Ray in the main slot and slip the dvd into the side where there is no holder. If there is a product page, then that helps protect the surface, and I can add some paper to protect if not.

What about the Blu-Rays that come with DVDs. Give them to the library, to family, friends, or toss them? Selling them seems to much effort, as used DVDs sell (or don't sell) at a $1 each. I know I have bought a lot of them at that price, movies that I might only watch once a decade if even that.

urrutiap 03-07-20 12:15 PM

Re: Upgrading to Blu-Ray

I still keep my older DVDs of movies because of certain bonus features that the blu rays just dont have.

also the only time i really get into and buy a blu ray that i want is when there's a fancy special collectors anniversay blu ray for old 1980s horror movies from Poltergeist II to whatever.

as for new movies today, i can find a 2 disc DVD of It Chapter 2 at a grocery store where I cant even find the 2 disc DVD at frikkin Walmart or Target and I have looked.

Plus i prefer buying tv shows for DVD instead of blu ray. I have my reasons

MrVette99 03-07-20 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by urrutiap (Post 13699703)
I still keep my older DVDs of movies because of certain bonus features that the blu rays just dont have.

also the only time i really get into and buy a blu ray that i want is when there's a fancy special collectors anniversay blu ray for old 1980s horror movies from Poltergeist II to whatever.

as for new movies today, i can find a 2 disc DVD of It Chapter 2 at a grocery store where I cant even find the 2 disc DVD at frikkin Walmart or Target and I have looked.

Plus i prefer buying tv shows for DVD instead of blu ray. I have my reasons

I can't believe that I regularly find Blu-Ray movies that come with DVDs, that is less expensive then the DVDs by themselves. Lots and lots of DVD users out there, and I guess they keep the market alive, unknowingly paying more for less.

The 4K is bundling Blu-Rays, but the price is still high for the 4k, but interesting how the industry prices things. I do really like streaming, but only as a subscriber, not a buyer of streaming movies. Perhaps one day it will all be streaming, but as of now the shows and movies are all with different providers.

urrutiap 03-07-20 09:57 PM

speaking of those 4K releases of certain movies, just like the special anniversary stuff from Shout/Scream i'd only buy a 4K blu ray release if they have actual brand new bonus features for the regular blu ray or a combination of older blu ray bonus features.

For example, the 4K blu ray of John Carpenter's Halloween, the regular blu ray has good bonus features including a trivia track

SterlingBen 09-22-20 12:59 AM

Yeah, no need to upgrade to Blu-Ray at this point. 4K has been out almost half a decade.

Upgrading to Blu-Ray now would be like "upgrading" to DVD in 2011.

MrVette99 09-22-20 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen (Post 13809906)
Yeah, no need to upgrade to Blu-Ray at this point. 4K has been out almost half a decade.

Upgrading to Blu-Ray now would be like "upgrading" to DVD in 2011.

4K is still at premium prices. I can stream 4k via amazon to my Samsung UHD Tv, and with few exceptions, can notice no difference in quality. In a few cases the quality is Wow!!!, but then the movie or show stands on its own regardless of the extra quality. I suppose if one had a HUGE screen then the difference might be obvious and important, but for us poor people with <50" sets, it hardly matters.

milo bloom 09-22-20 10:53 AM

Yeah, 4K still has a price premium and plenty of Blu titles are at bargain prices and the visual difference between Blu and 4K isn't always worth it.

As for keeping older versions, the extras have to be really worth it. EPKs and such aren't worth watching over and over.

Obi-Wanma 09-22-20 11:04 AM

There isn't always a premium on 4K. I'm still on Blu, and I own several UHD/Blu combos because buying them was the same price or cheaper than the regular Blu release.

orangerunner 09-22-20 11:59 AM

I have a lot of DVDs along with the Blu-ray and face a similar dilemma. Strictly from a audio/video perspective the Blu-ray is better but as a "product" the DVD is often better with nicer packaging and more special features. With DVD there just seemed to be more thought and care put into them. As a product, Blu-ray packaging and design seems more dump-bin minded.

Since purchasing a projector a couple of years ago I find, oddly enough, that the gap in quality between the Blu-ray and DVD has shrunk compared with the HDTV I have. With the projector I find the DVDs to be very watchable and less inferior-looking.

milo bloom 09-22-20 12:49 PM

Is it your projector or is your Bluray player a newer one with better upscaling?

I'm using a 60" regular display, and there's still a lot of DVDs that look pretty darned good, either from better mastering or better upconverting nowadays.

orangerunner 09-22-20 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 13810168)
Is it your projector or is your Bluray player a newer one with better upscaling?

I'm using a 60" regular display, and there's still a lot of DVDs that look pretty darned good, either from better mastering or better upconverting nowadays.

Most of my equipment is almost ten years old now. I have a 40" SONY Bravia 1080p with the SONY BDPS1100 Blu-ray player which upscales DVDs quite well. For the projector, it's a Sanyo PLC-ZM5000L 1080p hooked up to the same Blu-ray player.

I find comparing the HDTV to the projector difficult to do because they each have their strengths and weaknesses. The HDTV has much stronger black levels but the projector seems to produce less mosquito noise and jaggies. I have watched some pretty crappy Mill Creek 3-movies-on-a-disc DVDs and the projector seems to make them look way better than they should look - even at 100 inches.

MrVette99 11-20-20 08:26 AM

Finally!!! 4K at DVD prices and with Blu-Ray included. BestBuy was selling yesterday the Joker in 4K with Blu-Ray and the digitial included for -- $7.99. Yeah, Baby!!!

Amazon was still HIGH for 4K and no surprise their Prime Video was the highest.