Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Looking for Mr. Goodbar

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-19, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for Mr. Goodbar

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I have read some bad reviews about several of the companies whose names come up when you search the movie “Looking for Mr. Goodbar” in order to buy a copy. Is there anyone who is selling a legitimate copy? If so, who? If not, I guess you just buy one of the knockoffs because the studio will not release it? Thanks for all suggestions.
Old 08-24-19, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts
Re: Looking for Mr. Goodbar

Shout Factory has licensed a few Paramount titles so I bet they will put this out eventually.
Old 08-24-19, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's held up because of music rights. Never been released legitimately on DVD or Blu-Ray.
Old 08-24-19, 11:41 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
It's held up because of music rights. Never been released legitimately on DVD or Blu-Ray.
Which is a shame as it's a great movie.
Old 08-25-19, 05:18 AM

This movie regularly plays 35mm rep all over NYC. It seems like it’s back somewhere every year. Yet somehow I keep missing it - the times don’t work out for me, I’m too lazy, etc... so I have never seen it.
Old 08-25-19, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by mallratcal
Which is a shame as it's a great movie.
Thanks much. I had suspected it was likely that issue, which for a lot of old TV shows and movies is probably not worth the time and effort to clear the rights. So, although I’ve been a trademark and copyright lawyer for more than 40 years, I don’t have another 20 years to wait for someone to possibly clear the rights and they’re not going to show it regularly where I live. So, I guess it doesn’t matter which bad bootleg copy I buy, they’re all fairly bad, right? Appreciate all your input and giving me the background.
Old 08-26-19, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As I understand it (and I could be wrong), it could still be broadcast on cable. I think TCM showed it last year. It was made at a time when home video had only barely begun, so when the producers negotiated the music rights at that time, they negotiated for theatrical and broadcast showings. At first, studios assumed that broadcast rights included home video rights, but then the music companies said "Wait a minute, we want our cut, too."
Old 08-26-19, 09:01 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

It gets played on TV for sure. It was on one of the premium HD movie channels here in Canada, recently. That's how I watched it and if they ever put out a Blu-ray I will buy it first day.
Old 08-27-19, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

The "Escape" network showed it fairly recently- I marveled at how their on-screen logo absolutely ruined the ending scene where things go black. Back in the 80s KTXL showed it uncut in prime time, and after every commercial break the general manager came on saying that they "strongly advised" viewer discretion, and to edit any scenes would ruin the movie's integrity- before the last segment I remember him saying something like "OK, this last part is really really bad so if you have any kids or are easily offended please don't watch!" Wish I had taped that.

It was on Amazon Video and Vudu a while ago but isn't right now. Since Shout Factory has started doing Paramount titles I'm betting they put this out eventually.
Old 08-30-19, 06:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
As I understand it (and I could be wrong), it could still be broadcast on cable. I think TCM showed it last year."
Yes, TCM did show it.

I recorded it to the HDD and burned a copy to DVD.