Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

2019 Criterion Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-19, 03:27 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: 2019 Criterion Challenge Discussion Thread

Have five Criterions lined up for an all-nighter of double Challenge credit and personal checklist mania tonight.

Videodrome
Godzilla
Carnival of Souls - Rifftrax
The Lure
Cat People
Old 09-30-19, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I started with good intentions at the beginning of the month including subscribing to the Criterion Channel but real life took over and starting a new role in my job, kept me from watching a lot of movies.

However, I was able to watch a few and it was better than my first Challenge but still not satisfied about my total.

I'm hoping to watch at least one tonight before the challenge is over.

Thanks to Travis for running this challenge again!
Old 09-30-19, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I broke out my new copy of Swing Time on BD. I’m mostly digital these days but couldn’t resist this one. Years (probably 10) ago during the heyday of BD, WB guru George Feltenstein said all the Astaire-Rogers films were ready for BD, then nothing actually came out till now.

Film looked good, but I haven’t compared it to DVD or to the digital HD version. I watched a supplement, a 40-minute film-specific making-of that I remember from the 10-DVD set years back.

Swing Time has always been my favorite A-R, even though I admit Top Hat is a better film. I really like the Kern-Fields score and how dance and songs are integrated. I also have fond memories because when Astaire died, I hadn’t seen any of his films (maybe That’s Entertainment clips) so I taped my local station’s tribute broadcast of Swing Time that night and was hooked. Interestingly they cut out the blackface sequence so I didn’t see it till years later, and it still feels unexpected when I see it. Also back in the day, I set out to watch all 10 Astaire-Rogers, but it was tough to find catalog films—Blockbuster didn’t carry more than a few of them—but I eventually found them all.
I actually like Swing Time better than Top Hat. I felt the whole plot of mistaken identity in Top Hat a bit tiresome.

The only thing that I hated about Swing Time was the whole blackface by Astaire and it's the same problem I find with Breakfast at Tiffany's with Rooney's Asian stereotype. I find it hard to overlook now...
Old 10-01-19, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This year's challenge wasn't about completing the checklist. Instead, I got to turn my 22 year old son onto some great movies.I asked him his top five that we watched together. In order, he said...
5. The Game
4. The Graduate
3. My Own Private Idaho
2. Harold and Maude
1. Breathless
As a cinephile (and a dad), I'd say that's a pretty solid list! For me, this was the best challenge I've done in awhile. He's already looking forward to next year's and getting into more Godard, Kurosawa, Truffaut, and more late 60's-early 70's American films. I may have create a Criterion fan!
Old 10-02-19, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
This is the first year that I've completed the checklist even though I didn't see everything I wanted to watch this month.
Very cool! I've only completed the checklist once, and I have never seen everything I wanted to watch in the course of a challenge month.

Originally Posted by popcorn
This year's challenge wasn't about completing the checklist. Instead, I got to turn my 22 year old son onto some great movies.I asked him his top five that we watched together. In order, he said...
5. The Game
4. The Graduate
3. My Own Private Idaho
2. Harold and Maude
1. Breathless
As a cinephile (and a dad), I'd say that's a pretty solid list! For me, this was the best challenge I've done in awhile. He's already looking forward to next year's and getting into more Godard, Kurosawa, Truffaut, and more late 60's-early 70's American films. I may have create a Criterion fan!
This challenge is explicitly not competitive between participants, but if it was, I think I'd have to declare you the winner, popcorn! I've recently gotten a friend into Criterion. She even did this challenge and completed the checklist on her own, though without joining the forum or following along with us here. I'm always keen to talk about them online, like with my fellow DVD Talkers, but it's really nice to have someone offline who has actually seen these things and can discuss them with me in person. I think sharing and comparing has also helped us learn about one another in certain ways, too. I imagine you and your son had a similar experience. I'm genuinely envious of that and I'm thrilled for both of you that you've had it.
Old 10-02-19, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I hope everyone who participated got something out of it, and I hope everyone who had things come up and keep them from participating has a calmer time next year. Speaking of next year, does anyone have any suggestions for revising the checklist? Losing the Themes page on the website hurt. I've been able to manually reconstruct an index to most of the themes that were linked to in previous challenge list threads, but I didn't think to do that until a few days ago. I'd like to add that section back to the checklist. Maybe we could consider restoring the 5 Genres section, either with or instead of Themes?

Also: Keep an eye on Criterion's social media feeds or the website itself, because the October flash sale could run at any time. The last two years, it was on 10/16 and the year before that was 10/17, but they've run them as early as 10/1 (2013).
Old 10-02-19, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I didn’t have time to watch as much as I would have liked, but I enjoyed the movies I did watch.
Old 10-02-19, 06:39 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks for the Challenge, Travis and everyone. I met my goal and almost completed the checklist (one language short). I made a significant dent in my unwatchable pile, and finally listened to the infamous and oft-recommended Armageddon commentary. I didn't get to participate in the discussion as much as I'd liked, but there's always next year.
Old 10-02-19, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I have to admit, I totally failed. I was much busier at work than I anticipated and had some family events that took more of my time. Next year, I hope to delve into Criterion again, though!

popcorn Harold and Maude was my treasure find two years ago. I went in thinking I wouldn't like it at all but it really clicked with me and I loved it!

Travis, thanks for running the challenge! I don't have any ideas for the checklist, sorry!
Old 10-02-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Thanks to Trevor Travis for hosting again! I got in some quality watches this year without my usual fallbacks of The Rock and Silence of the Lambs.

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I actually like Swing Time better than Top Hat. I felt the whole plot of mistaken identity in Top Hat a bit tiresome.

The only thing that I hated about Swing Time was the whole blackface by Astaire and it's the same problem I find with Breakfast at Tiffany's with Rooney's Asian stereotype. I find it hard to overlook now...
Mistaken identity is a plot device in nearly every Astaire-Rogers film. They definitely had their formulas.

As I mentioned, the blackface segment almost doesn’t feel like part of the movie to me, and I wish it had never been used, but I find Rooney a lot more offensive. Astaire presents stereotypes but intended as a tribute. Rooney’s role is milking broad stereotypes in an attempt at humor, and it’s a black eye on the whole film. At least Astaire’s is one segment that can be skipped (though he’s still in the makeup as the plot progresses).

Last edited by davidh777; 10-02-19 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-02-19, 12:07 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Thanks to Trevor for hosting again!
Doh!

Personal Pet Peeve Aside: Our Travis is the one person I don’t mind getting confused with. Normally, people calling me Trev or Travis is like nails on a chalkboard. All my life, I’m routinely called Travis by new acquaintances. I’ve discussed it with them and other people with our names, and have a theory. Both are fairly rare names, so it depends on which one you’re more used to. Say you grow up knowing a Travis. You meet me and instantly hear my name as Travis and call me that, even after just hearing me say Trevor. I’ve heard other Travises say they get called Trevor all the time, but forget if I’ve discussed it with our Travis.
Old 10-02-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Rats! I pictured who I was talking about then typed the wrong name! I blame the “improved” software that forces me to use my tablet instead of my laptop.
Old 10-03-19, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
This challenge is explicitly not competitive between participants, but if it was, I think I'd have to declare you the winner, popcorn! I've recently gotten a friend into Criterion. She even did this challenge and completed the checklist on her own, though without joining the forum or following along with us here. I'm always keen to talk about them online, like with my fellow DVD Talkers, but it's really nice to have someone offline who has actually seen these things and can discuss them with me in person. I think sharing and comparing has also helped us learn about one another in certain ways, too. I imagine you and your son had a similar experience. I'm genuinely envious of that and I'm thrilled for both of you that you've had it.
Thanks! He said he really enjoyed watching the movies and now understands my affinity for Criterion releases, especially around B&N/flash sales. Thanks for hosting!