Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Lost In Space: The Complete Classic Series - formatted for widescreen

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-19, 03:53 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Lost In Space: The Complete Classic Series - formatted for widescreen

All 3 seasons. New release from February 5, 2019. Only $27.99 at amazon right now.

This customer review perhaps best explains the reformatting. But it does look like the review was posted a day before it went on sale, so maybe he's just going based on what he thinks it look like.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/631764389X/
Serious Critic
5.0 out of 5 stars LOST IN SPACE: THE CLASSIC SERIES -- IN WIDESCREEN DVD

February 4, 2019

Format: DVD

For those of you who are concerned about the cropping that was done -- in order to adapt "Lost in Space" from its original "square" aspect ratio to the more modern "widescreen" format, please know this: the original "Lost in Space" was shot in 35mm and the original aspect ratio was 1.37::1. 1960s TV sets showed LIS in 1.33::1 (more square) so, in that respect, they were ALWAYS SLIGHTLY CROPPED on the sides. In 2015, the original 35mm elements were painstakingly remastered, color-corrected and digitally restored in 2K (which was state-of-the-art at that time). A Blu-ray version was released by Fox that same year in a lavish package and with lots of bonus elements. The original 1:37::1 aspect ratio was preserved -- giving fans an even wider picture than they ever saw on 60s TV sets or on the previous (and highly inferior) DVD release of the 90s. The new "Widescreen" DVD release was made from the 2K masters and was slightly cropped on the top and bottom (but not the sides) so that it would fit within the aspect ratio of today's 16x9 widescreen televisions. So, instead of LIS being shown with black bars on the sides (aka, “pillar boxed”) which many younger viewers hate - LIS will look better (and, hopefully, "newer") on modern TV sets. Of course, a 16x9 Blu-ray release would be ideal, but Fox wanted this release to be released at a very low cost. This is why many of the bonus extras from the Blu-ray set are not included in the DVD release. Bottom line: for perfection, buy the Blu-ray. For great new packaging and a 16x9 release — plus the now out-of-print 1998 Syndicated TV special, "Lost in Space Forever" (which features Jonathan Harris, Bill Mumy and Bob May performing together for the last time) — you cant beat the low-cost DVD version.
Old 03-01-19, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Lost In Space: The Complete Classic Series - formatted for widescreen

Oh yuck.

I hated pan-and-scan even in the 1980s. I also hated the ends of the picture cut off (just a little bit!) to make it fit on a 1.33 screen.

Now we're going to get the heads of actors cut off to make 1.33 ratio pictures fit on 16x9 screens. What I've seen of it looks worse than cutting off the ends, because the top center of the picture was often the center of interest for composition, and was always a 'safe zone' for cinematographers worried about cropping.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 03-01-19 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-01-19, 07:55 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Oh yuck.

I hated pan-and-scan even in the 1980s. I also hated the ends of the picture cut off (just a little bit!) to make it fit on a 1.33 screen.

Now we're going to get the heads of actors cut off to make 1.33 ratio pictures fit on 16x9 screens. What I've seen of it looks worse than cutting off the ends, because the top center of the picture was often the center of interest for composition was always a 'safe zone' for cinematographers.

Good points by you all around. It's a shame that they did that.
Old 03-02-19, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Oh yuck.

Now we're going to get the heads of actors cut off to make 1.33 ratio pictures fit on 16x9 screens. What I've seen of it looks worse than cutting off the ends, because the top center of the picture was often the center of interest for composition, and was always a 'safe zone' for cinematographers worried about cropping.
There’s an incredible irony here, where, after going through the letterbox wars, we’re now seeing material being modified from native 4:3 to widescreen.

I remember a few years back, having this debate over Buffy the Vampire Slayer when people wanted it released in widescreen (the later seasons were filmed in widescreen) despite Joss Whedon, the creator of the series, voicing his preference that it be relessed 4:3.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (03-10-21)
Old 03-02-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

The thing is that many TV shows can be converted to WS with little information lost. Lots of the cinematographers came from movies and were quite used to protecting for WS. As a result the framing of many shows allows for conversion with very good results. While I'm a purist where aspect ratio is concerned I'm generally OK with such conversions *if* shot integrity can be maintained. Often it can. Of course my preference is to have *both* a 4:3 and 16:9 in the package and let me decide.

That said, the sample WS episode of LIS that's on the BR edition doesn't look all that bad. Since I do have the BR, in its 4:3 OAR, I purchased the DVD WS edition "just because" and to see how it looks reformatted. It was cheap enough at WM (they have it in store for $19.96) to warrant the purchase. Even so, they should have done like Universal did with the Battlestar Galactica Ultimate Edition and provided both versions in the package.
Old 03-04-19, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The whole argument of making a 50-year-old television show widescreen "to appeal to a younger generation" is laughable in and of itself. Very few millennials would even give any show this old sa second glance, let along something as cheesy as Lost in Space.
Old 03-08-19, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I noticed they started doing this on MeTV and it is a real shame. They used to really respect the material and include the full credits and stuff, but now "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" is cropped top and bottom and looks terrible. I've seen all of the episodes many times, but I still enjoy watching many of them, however having everyone's head cut off just above the eyebrows is a huge distraction and makes the show unwatchable. They are not doing it with all their shows yet, but I assume they will eventually.
Old 02-27-21, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quatermass
I noticed they started doing this on MeTV and it is a real shame. They used to really respect the material and include the full credits and stuff, but now "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" is cropped top and bottom and looks terrible. I've seen all of the episodes many times, but I still enjoy watching many of them, however having everyone's head cut off just above the eyebrows is a huge distraction and makes the show unwatchable. They are not doing it with all their shows yet, but I assume they will eventually.
I HAD TO PUT THIS IN UPPER CASE SO NO ONE WOULD MISS THIS. IF THE ABOVE IS NOT BAD ENOUGH ON METV, HAS ANY1 NOTICED ON METV AT LEAST FROM THE STATION IN MIDDLETOWN, NJ(serves NYC too), THAT LIS APPEARS TO NO LONGER BE ON FILM!! BUT ALMOST LOOKS LIVE!! LIKE IT'S ON VIDEOTAPE??!! SAME WITH THE HONEYMOONERS ON METV(& POSSIBLY SOME OTHER SHOWS - I CONFIRM BOTH ARE TRUE, COMPARING TO OLD LIS TAPES FROM SCI FI CHANNEL, & CURRENT WPIX CH 11 NYC ALSO SHOWING THE HONEYMOONERS, RESPECTIVELY - BUT ON FILM AS INTENDED.. HOW!!! the heck did they do that & WHY!!?? What show is next to fall victim??!!
I can't WAIT till they start doing ALL the above to Star Trek TOS & TNG on METV - & those rabid fans go totally beserk. lol
Those 2 shows have NOT been violated either way - yet. Plus TOS on H&I is uncut! Not so on METV tho.
I would think if young people watch cheesy Star Trek TOS, then at least young boys Will's age today are watching LIS - right? - at least LIS has WORKING "props" - the elevator(in the spaceship) & the Chariot!!! What "props" does trek TOS & TNG have that are real?
I wonder if ANY METV station in the country is still showing LIS NOT chopped off top & bottom! - & of course not looking LIVE on videotape.
I would like to move there. lol
& DO ANY OF THE LIS DVD OR BLUERAY SETS LOOK LIKE THEY ARE SHOWN KINDA LIVE ON VIDEOTAPE RATHER THAN ON FILM?
Old 03-03-21, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I'm guessing they are running it to compress the time slot with more ads.
Old 03-03-21, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by richnjdvd
& DO ANY OF THE LIS DVD OR BLUERAY SETS LOOK LIKE THEY ARE SHOWN KINDA LIVE ON VIDEOTAPE RATHER THAN ON FILM?
I noticed Buck Rogers on MeTV has that "videotape soap opera" look too. I'm guessing it's part of the hi-def remastering process for Blu-Ray. I never cared for Buck Rogers anyway, but it does look weird.
Old 03-03-21, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

This just reminds that we were incredibly lucky that Paramount kept Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation in their original aspect ratios for the HD releases instead of cropping them to 16:9.
Old 03-04-21, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

MeTV is one of the worst channels on the air- they have NEVER "really respected the material" as they have always used a logo bug, and most stations put the city they're in under that as well. Whenever I flip by it I ask "What the fuck does this show have to do with Sacramento?" Also feel sorry for anyone who hates the city they're stuck in and might be watching the channel to forget about that. They've been applying some sort of motion-smoothing as well, whether it's part of speeding the show up to save time I don't know but their sister networks including "Start TV" do that also (and also crop for widescreen.) When I first saw that I had to make sure I hadn't mistakenly enabled it on my TV.