Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Technical question about time skipping

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-21-19, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a strange one about standard DVD/vob format. I have an old burned DVD (ripped from a laser disk,at some point, I believe) and I have managed to rip it to vob files in a folder on a hard drive. I can play the DVD using VLC. The progress bar displays correctly and the total and elapsed time both display. But when I attempt to jump forward by clicking on the progress bar, it will not jump past ~25 minutes. This seems to be the start of VTS_02_2.VOB. I have tried playing each vob individually and they play fine and are able to jump forward and backwards inside of each of their timespans. It is only when playing the entire folder as a DVD that jumping with the bar stops working. I went back and tried it from the optical disk, and it had the same issue, so it's some problem with the original formatting of the files.

I'm assuming it has something to do with the .bup files, but I don't know how to read those. Does anyone know what could be causing this and how I might attempt a manual repair?
Old 03-17-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Technical question about time skipping

Your best bet is to checkout the forums at Videohelp.com. They can get more into the authoring/software questions. This forum is more about commercial releases.
Old 03-23-19, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts
Re: Technical question about time skipping

The forum below is ten times better for discussion of technical issues involving DVD rips:

https://forum.doom9.org/