DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Two Guys and A Girl - bootleg set?

Old 01-31-19, 02:23 PM
Cool New Member

Two Guys and A Girl - bootleg set?

I finally picked up the "Two Guys & A Girl" complete series set from Shout Factory, but I'm pretty sure my set is a bootleg. Can any of you who have this confirm that disc 1 should be a dual layer disc? Mine is not. (When I put it in my computer's dvd drive and right click on "Properties" it shows as a 4.65gb disc.) The crazy thing is the packaging all looks legit. There's no real "tell" from the outside that this isn't the real deal.
Old 01-31-19, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Two Guys and A Girl - bootleg set?

I don't have the set, but I haven't encountered a huge amount of Shout Factory counterfeits in the wild. The counterfeiters tend to go after more visible properties than a slow-selling show like Two Guys.
Old 01-31-19, 03:22 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I don't have the set, but I haven't encountered a huge amount of Shout Factory counterfeits in the wild. The counterfeiters tend to go after more visible properties than a slow-selling show like Two Guys.
Right, which is why the $22 I paid for this on eBay I figured was a liquidator trying to get rid of legit unsold copies. Not so, I guess. Ugh.
Old 01-31-19, 04:37 PM

It might be legit, the quality of the video on the earlier seasons isn't great according to the DVDTalk review.

The DVDs
The four seasons of Two Guys and a Girl are spread over 11 DVDs, which are packed into a pair of clear, standard-width keepcases (one dual-hubbed) with two trays each, held in a thin slipcase. The DVDs offer static anamorphic widescreen menus with options to play all the episodes and select shows. There are no audio options and no subtitles.

The Quality
The full-frame transfers on these discs are inconsistent and disappointing. Early episodes are soft and somewhat dull in terms of the color, while later seasons are much sharper, but appear to suffer from edge enhancement, as well as distracting artifacting or noise throughout. None of this renders the episodes unwatchable, but it's too obvious to not notice.

An Amazon 3 star review says the UK version is better.
Old 01-31-19, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I own a copy of Two Guys and a Girl.

Disc 1 - 7.8GB

You have a bootleg.
Old 01-31-19, 11:20 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
I own a copy of Two Guys and a Girl.

Disc 1 - 7.8GB

You have a bootleg.
Thank you, sir. I appreciate the info.
Old 02-07-19, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by mitch079 View Post

An Amazon 3 star review says the UK version is better.
Only problem there would be that, being in PAL, it would be affected by the episodes running 4% faster than they should (most noticeable in the audio), so that would be trading one set of problems for another. Depends on whether the video issues would be more distracting than higher-pitched audio.