Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How to get rid of scratches on DVDs/Blu-rays?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-23-18, 07:30 PM

Hello,

Can someone buy something to get rid of scratches on DVDs and/or blu-rays?
I have some DVDs with just minor scratches, but a few have major scratches. They still work I would just like them without the scratches and to look brand new.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you very much

P.S. I ran a search and got a few ideas, but I asked this question anyway just in case anyone has any new ideas.

Last edited by sparkles; 10-23-18 at 07:34 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old 10-23-18, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: How to get rid of scratches on DVDs/Blu-rays?

With DVDs, I find rubbing toothpaste works well as a mild sandpaper and then following-up with a mild car wax.

If the scratch is too deep and damages the data-layer there's not much you can do to restore it.

Blu-rays are more difficult as the top layer is thinner than DVDs although they do contain a hard-coated layer that is stronger than that of DVDs. However, if you manage to scratch through the hard-coat there's a very good chance you've damaged the data-layer, which cannot be repaired.
Old 10-23-18, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If the disc plays, just leave it alone.

Anything you do it to “repair” it only runs the risk of further damaging the disc.

I tried the toothpaste trick on an old DVD I was trading in to Best Buy when they were doing that trade in your old DVDs for blu-rays thing a few years ago.

I intentionally scratched an old DVD and then put toothpaste on it. It didn’t take out the scratches, but left the disc looking like shit.
Old 10-24-18, 12:57 AM

If you have a video game store nearby, inquire if they do resurfacing. Gamestop may, but I've never asked, in favor of a local chain. They use $15K professional resurfacing machines (sorry, don't recall the manufacturer), and I take many of my used DVD purchases, new floaters, and the occasional old, abused disk there. They charge $3/disk or 5 for $10. The machine has different settings, starting at "light", and the buffing compound makes the stores smell strongly of floor wax.

I had a problem recently where two disks I dropped off came back still scratched, and I asked if they could run them again. The clerk hesitated a bit but agreed, although at least one came back looking even worse. I then complained to the manager who ran it through at least one more time. So the above advice is good, but only if you're dealing with homemade or non-professional equipment. If all else fails, there are also companies who offer this service through the mail.

Blu-Rays are different, due to the anti-scratch coating. If you have one that won't play, the above process still works, but it's going to change disk surface. In general, I'd leave BD's alone.
Old 10-24-18, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

The toothpaste trick actually worked on one disc, I was surprised. Was almost ready to throw it out but figured I'd try it.

The local record store has a resurfacer that they'll use on your disc for a buck or so, I had them do it on a damaged disc from the library but that didn't help it. I had a small tool made for a car that uses Simoniz and a small motorized pad, I used that on the disc after that and that fixed it.
Old 10-24-18, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
If the disc plays, just leave it alone.
That's the best advice. If it plays without any freezes or skips, just leave it.

I have some discs that have very light scratches all over the surface but playing the movie, you'd never know.
Old 10-24-18, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Blu-rays can't be resurfaced, period. Messing with their polished surfaces interferes with the bonding agent applied to them. If a BD is scratched badly enough to affect play, seek out another copy.

CDs and DVDs can be "fixed" if the scratches aren't that bad. People don't realize that scratches to the top of the disc are far more deadly than scratches on the "playing" surface.
Old 10-24-18, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post
That's the best advice. If it plays without any freezes or skips, just leave it.

I have some discs that have very light scratches all over the surface but playing the movie, you'd never know.
Yes, it is good advice, but all that changes if I change my mind and consider selling them. I would want them to be as perfect and presentable as possible for the customer on eBay or some other market where I could sell them. So the toothpaste trick sounds like something I might try, or maybe gamestop or an online service that gets rid of the scratches as people here mentioned. I would just make more money if I could sell them as "like new" then I would if I said "scratched to hell" right? Right.
Old 10-24-18, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Unless it's a rare title it'll likely cost you more to get the scratches properly removed than you'd realize from the sale.
Old 10-24-18, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sparkles View Post
Yes, it is good advice, but all that changes if I change my mind and consider selling them. I would want them to be as perfect and presentable as possible for the customer on eBay or some other market where I could sell them. So the toothpaste trick sounds like something I might try, or maybe gamestop or an online service that gets rid of the scratches as people here mentioned. I would just make more money if I could sell them as "like new" then I would if I said "scratched to hell" right? Right.
As mentioned above most DVD titles are not worth the effort. Many perfect condition DVDs sell for $.50.

In my experience even a professionally resurfaced disc looks like a resurfaced disc and will never look "like new" again.

These little tricks are meant to make the disc playable again. If you're selling a resurfaced or lightly-scratched DVD on eBay, I would recommend listing them as "acceptable". It won't be as much money but at least you won't have a disappointed customer wanting a refund.
Old 10-25-18, 11:09 PM

YMMV, but aside from the very first DVD's I took to Just Press Play (and they came back showing very faint concentric circles), either every batch has looked brand new or I asked them to fix the issue. IMHO you'd need a microscope to tell the difference.

I will get the name of the maker of their resurfacing machine on my next visit. JPP apparently resurfaces BD's regularly enough with no side effects, and I'm curious what their web site states. One employee did say that the most obvious way to tell a disk had been resurfaced is to look faint marks on the inner ring, where the machine gripped it.
Old 10-27-18, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post
In my experience even a professionally resurfaced disc looks like a resurfaced disc and will never look "like new" again.

These little tricks are meant to make the disc playable again. If you're selling a resurfaced or lightly-scratched DVD on eBay, I would recommend listing them as "acceptable". It won't be as much money but at least you won't have a disappointed customer wanting a refund.
If Iím buying a used CD or DVD, Iíd rather have one that was playable with light scratches than one that was resurfaced. If I want it resurfaced, or the scratches repaired, Iíll do it myself.

As far as Iím concerned, resurfacing a perfectly playable disc just adds more damage.
Old 10-27-18, 11:26 AM

If you have a movie DVD disc that looks scratched up bad but the disc is still playable where you are able to watch the movie until a certain point where the movie starts freezing up then the rest of the DVD is fine to watch since most of the time anyway the bonus features are safe.

Plus you can go buy a new copy of the movie for DVD any other time when you have the time
Old 10-27-18, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have one of those SkipDr things that you can use to manually sand out the scratches on DVDs and CDs.
Old 11-02-18, 05:09 PM

Our local library has a resurfacer and I've always wondered if they'd use it on one of my discs. I mean technically because it was paid for with public funds... ;-)
Old 11-13-18, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by urrutiap View Post
If you have a movie DVD disc that looks scratched up bad but the disc is still playable where you are able to watch the movie until a certain point where the movie starts freezing up then the rest of the DVD is fine to watch since most of the time anyway the bonus features are safe.
I'm sorry, but I didn't get what you're trying to say here.

Plus you can go buy a new copy of the movie for DVD any other time when you have the time
Isn't the whole resurfacing thing done to avoid the expense of doing just this very thing?
Old 11-13-18, 10:13 AM

No not really. and I spoke English clearly so either YOU arent listening or something.

I said if the movie disc has what it looks like a scratch or smudge and that the movie disc freezes up in the middle of the movie or the last few minutes, the movie disc is still fine to watch. Then later on you can go buy a new copy of the movie and replace the scratched up movie disc.

2 disc DVD special Editions for movies are like that all the time where previous owners are careless or they do it on purpose where they keep the 2nd bonus disc of bonus features nice and clean while they get a bit rough with the main movie disc which bugs the heck out of me
Old 11-13-18, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No not really. and I spoke English clearly so either YOU arent listening or something.
Honestly, I didn't find it to be clear...which is why I asked for a rephrase. I didn't think I was being rude about it, unlike your response.

I said if the movie disc has what it looks like a scratch or smudge and that the movie disc freezes up in the middle of the movie or the last few minutes, the movie disc is still fine to watch. Then later on you can go buy a new copy of the movie and replace the scratched up movie disc.
Well, no, the movie disc is NOT still fine to watch if it freezes up. There may be PARTS of the disc that are still okay, but if the main movie has unreadable sectors that could be buffed out, then why not spend a dollar or two and buff them out? I can see replacing a disc if that disc is super-common and/or easily found in Walmart's $3.74 bin, but most people aren't going to shell out the $150 or so to replace a scratched-up copy of Criterion's The Third Man. The only really viable option is to try to buff out the scratches. If it doesn't work, it's only a few dollars lost, and since the disc wasn't playing anyway, you're no worse off than you were before attempting to repair the scratches.
Old 11-13-18, 12:04 PM

Whatever, man.