Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Subset construction is officially underway!

Previously used subsets used can be found on post 3.

2018 themes list can be found here.

Subset volunteers needed: 3

IMDB advanced title search

Horror Films by year starting 1895

Print Wikipost

Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-18, 06:43 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Great list, very excited. I hope people don't mind that my pick Who Can Kill a Child?
That's one of the ones I'm most looking forward too.
Old 09-11-18, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Wow, that's a really nice list. I just need a DDD %15 sale, or eBay coupon to hit in order to pick up the last few titles. Down really needs to drop in price like The Lift has.
Old 09-11-18, 07:59 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

A great list! And I'm looking forward to revisiting Peeping Tom.
Old 09-11-18, 08:00 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

edit to add: streaming check complete, subject to change of course

Below count not current
Amazon = 8
Shudder = 5
Netflix = 2, plus 1 disc only
Hulu = 1
HBO = 0
Fandor = 0
Kanopy = 1 (library dependent)
Hoopla = 1 (library dependent)
Vudu free = 0

Pretty awesome subset list! Somehow, it looks like I watched almost every single one of them in the last year, but I知 looking forward to them all just the same. I知 working on a Where are they streaming list, below is a first draft.edit to add: now updated multiple times, thanks everyone

Dressed to Kill (1980) - Criterion - Amazon & Hulu & Epix

1. Lifeforce (1985) - NOTLD 50th - Chad - Starz until 10/1
2. The Zero Boys (1986) - Cheesy '80s - TheBigDave - Amazon
3. Marrowbone (2018) - Supernatural - jholmes - Hulu
4. The Lost Boys (1987) - Vampires - tarfrimmer - Netflix
5. A Quiet Place (2018) - Apocalyptic - arw6040
6. Blue Sunshine (1977) - Studies in Terror - ororama - Shudder
7. Repo! The Genetic Opera (2008) - Modern - PCBreakdown - Shudder
8. Terrifier (2018) - Slashers - Mondo Kane - Netflix
9. Antropophagus (1980) - Video Nasties - WillieMLF
10. Inside (2007) - Euro Passport - Bladz
11. Dr. Cyclops (1940) - Universal - shellebelle
12. Down (aka "The Shaft") (2001) - Elevator - Gobear - Flix on Demand
13. Dr. Caligari (1989) - Frankenstein/Mad Doctors - clckworang
14. Burial Ground: Nights of Terror (1981) - Zombies - Darkgod - Amazon & Shudder
15. Son of Dracula (1943) / Fangs of the Living Dead (1968) - Amazon & TubiTV / The Washing Machine (Vortice mortale) (1993) - Chrono - numbercrunch
16. Who Can Kill a Child? (1976) - Blood on the Beach - DaveyJoe
17. Maximum Overdrive (1986) - Joe Bob/Fango - Darth Maher - Amazon & Hulu & Epix
18. Brainscan (1994) - Mind Games - Undeadcow
19. Peeping Tom (1960) - IMDB Highest Rated - Shack - TubiTV
20. The Toxic Avenger (1984) - Up All Night - jacob_b - Amazon
21. Hereditary (2018) - Atmospheric - mallratcal
22. Evil Toons (1992) - 1980's Video Company Spotlight - SterlingBen
23. Cujo (1983) - Dog/Bogs/Logs - orlmac - Starz until 10/1
24. Silver Bullet (1985) - Werewolves - JAX036
25. Blood Beach (1980) - Jawsploitation - indiephantom
26. Blood on Satan's Claw (1971) - Rocktober Blood - Trevor - Amazon
27. Demon Wind (1990) - Demonic - alyxstarr - Amazon & Shudder
28. Kwaidan (1964) - Anthologies - hbsvb - Kwaidan
29. Happy Death Day (2017) - Bloody Birthday - Elliot57 - Cinemax on Demand
30. Tenebre (1982) - Horrorspondents - SethDLH - Shudder
31. Sleepy Hollow (1999) - Halloween - cwileyy - Starz

Dave Made a Maze (2017) - Comedy - Netflix disc only & Kanopy & Hoopla & Hulu

Last edited by Trevor; 09-15-18 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-11-18, 10:05 AM

Thanks for that, Trevor. Seems like the toughest to get are Blood Beach (only on out of print DVD, $$$) and Dr. Caligari. I may resort to YouTube for those.

Washing Machine is available in a funky tin from the UK on eBay. I bought one this morning. Picked up Evil Toons because the BR was around $15 and the new Fangs of the Living Dead.
Old 09-11-18, 11:51 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jholmes
Thanks for that, Trevor. Seems like the toughest to get are Blood Beach (only on out of print DVD, $$$) and Dr. Caligari. I may resort to YouTube for those.

Washing Machine is available in a funky tin from the UK on eBay. I bought one this morning. Picked up Evil Toons because the BR was around $15 and the new Fangs of the Living Dead.
Agree, thanks Trevor. Besides Blood Beach, Caligari and Washing Machine, Inside and Dave Made a Maze looks like dvd only or a burn on demand disk.
Old 09-11-18, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
Agree, thanks Trevor. Besides Blood Beach, Caligari and Washing Machine, Inside and Dave Made a Maze looks like dvd only or a burn on demand disk.
Netflix has Dave Made a Maze on DVD.
Old 09-11-18, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Yes, thanks a bunch Trevor.

There seems to be a few blus of Dave/Maze on ebay, but I'm not really seeing anything but the DVD everywhere else.
Old 09-11-18, 12:56 PM

Received 96 Likes on 36 Posts

Also, if you have a library card, check whether your local library is partnered with Hoopla and/or Kanopy. Both of them currently have Dave Made a Maze available for streaming.

(That seems to be the only subset title available for streaming on either one, but they both have a fair number of horror titles listed, including some stuff that's not on Amazon Prime or Netflix. But it is totally dependent on whether your library is connected with them -- I don't think you can get an independent subscription to either.)

(Your local library can also be good for renting hard copy DVDs/blu-rays, of course. Last year, I even had a couple shipped over from other branches that they didn't have at my branch.)
Old 09-11-18, 01:10 PM

Rules question here -- So if the challenge ends at dawn on Nov 1, technically the comedy movie(s) won't count as part of the 100, right? Unless you happen to watch it before dawn? But the Criterion movies can count if you watch them after dark.
Old 09-11-18, 01:18 PM

My Hoopla doesn’t have Maze, it’s a library specific thing, but Kanopy has it. Thanks! Hopefully it’s still there come October.
Old 09-11-18, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Rules question here -- So if the challenge ends at dawn on Nov 1, technically the comedy movie(s) won't count as part of the 100, right? Unless you happen to watch it before dawn? But the Criterion movies can count if you watch them after dark.
It's all based on solar rhythms. The crossover films only count during the narrow dusk/dawn timeframes you discussed.

This should clarify it:
https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/sunrise?month=9
Old 09-11-18, 01:21 PM

Yes, they count for October if watched after dusk on 9/30 or before dawn on 11/1. So roughly 5-7 hours of bonus time on each end for October credit, and potential double Challenge credit too of course.
Old 09-11-18, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
If you're ok with digital purchase/rental then Vudu has Inside (2007) for $7.99 (vs $12.99 on Amazon digital) and Dave Made a Maze is $9.99 in high definition on either; or rentals for $3-4.

Inside (2007):
https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/.../Inside/602578

Dave Made a Maze:
Amazon Amazon
https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...-a-Maze/874395
Old 09-11-18, 01:30 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
If you're ok with digital purchase/rental then Vudu has Inside (2007) for $7.99 (vs $12.99 on Amazon digital) and Dave Made a Maze is $9.99 in high definition on either; or rentals for $3-4.

thanks
Old 09-11-18, 01:47 PM

Received 96 Likes on 36 Posts

For the crossover films, assuming you are trying to be true to their nature (that is, watch them during the time when both challenges are active), then you really have somewhere in the neighborhood of a 12 hour window for each one -- because you can take into account not only when this challenge starts/ends, but when the other two challenges do.

The Criterion challenge ends Oct 1 at dawn, so you could watch Dressed to Kill anytime between dusk on 9/30 (7pm-ish, depending on where you live) and dawn on 10/1 (7am-ish, again location-dependent), and it would count for both challenges.

Last year the comedy challenge started at dusk on 10/31, so assuming the same this year, you'd have a similar window from dusk on 10/31 to dawn on 11/1 where both challenges are active and Dave Made a Maze could count for both. You don't have to wait until after midnight to start it.

(Maybe that was clear already from others' comments, but I just wanted to clarify in case it wasn't.)

Of course, if you're not doing the other challenges, you could technically watch them whenever you want during the month of October. But personally, I feel like I should watch them in their intended window even if I'm not doing the other challenges, at least if I want to count them toward the subset total. I'm also a "watch the subset film on the theme day it's linked to if at all possible" person, so maybe that's just me.
Old 09-11-18, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by alyxstarr
For the crossover films, assuming you are trying to be true to their nature (that is, watch them during the time when both challenges are active), then you really have somewhere in the neighborhood of a 12 hour window for each one -- because you can take into account not only when this challenge starts/ends, but when the other two challenges do.

The Criterion challenge ends Oct 1 at dawn, so you could watch Dressed to Kill anytime between dusk on 9/30 (7pm-ish, depending on where you live) and dawn on 10/1 (7am-ish, again location-dependent), and it would count for both challenges.

Last year the comedy challenge started at dusk on 10/31, so assuming the same this year, you'd have a similar window from dusk on 10/31 to dawn on 11/1 where both challenges are active and Dave Made a Maze could count for both. You don't have to wait until after midnight to start it.

(Maybe that was clear already from others' comments, but I just wanted to clarify in case it wasn't.)

Of course, if you're not doing the other challenges, you could technically watch them whenever you want during the month of October. But personally, I feel like I should watch them in their intended window even if I'm not doing the other challenges, at least if I want to count them toward the subset total. I'm also a "watch the subset film on the theme day it's linked to if at all possible" person, so maybe that's just me.
That's helpful--thanks. I want to watch the subset films on the theme day too as much as I can. I'll be travelling for 5 days in Oct so I'll have to front and post load some things. But I should be able to watch at least one movie while on the road.
Old 09-11-18, 02:29 PM

Yes, nice thorough post alyxstarr. Reminds me of me before I got old and lazy. Sigh.

And for your trip jholmes, if you have Prime and a tablet, be sure to take advantage of their download option. I’m downloading all I can from Prime, to save me from potential bandwidth or buffering problems next month. I think Netflix and Vudu may allow downloads too.
Old 09-11-18, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yes, nice thorough post alyxstarr. Reminds me of me before I got old and lazy. Sigh.

And for your trip jholmes, if you have Prime and a tablet, be sure to take advantage of their download option. I知 downloading all I can from Prime, to save me from potential bandwidth or buffering problems next month. I think Netflix and Vudu may allow downloads too.
Thanks for the reminder. I have Netflix and they do let you download. That would be smart instead of depending on hotel internet speeds. Prime too. I'll load up my laptop. I wish i had more space on my iPad. Too many games!
Old 09-11-18, 03:10 PM

Thanks for the reminder. I have Netflix and they do let you download. That would be smart instead of depending on hotel internet speeds. Prime too. I'll load up my laptop. I wish i had more space on my iPad. Too many games!
Remember that iOS now allows you to offload apps, where it keeps all your settings and saves, but uninstalls the bulk of the app.
Old 09-11-18, 03:24 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Great list, very excited. I hope people don't mind that my pick Who Can Kill a Child? was remade as Come Out and Play, which was one of our subset picks a few years ago (2013?). I thought it'd be fun to go back and watch the original this year, and Mondo Macabro just put it out on Blu-ray.

I'm almost finished with the montage for last year's subset challenge.
Whoa! That was a good video!
Old 09-11-18, 04:05 PM

Great list, very excited. I hope people don't mind that my pick Who Can Kill a Child? was remade as Come Out and Play, which was one of our subset picks a few years ago (2013?). I thought it'd be fun to go back and watch the original this year, and Mondo Macabro just put it out on Blu-ray.

I'm almost finished with the montage for last year's subset challenge.
Amazing video. Beautifully done. There are a few movies in there that I have to see now, like "Suddenly In the Dark".
Old 09-11-18, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I'm debating how many subset films I intend to buy. I already own 9 of them and was planning to purchase Hereditary for the challenge. Before the list went up, I was telling myself I would be good this year, basically for the first time, and not go crazy purchasing movies, especially subset films. Then you go and put at least 4 or 5 films I've been intending to buy and a few more I was interested in. Ugh. Give me strength.
Old 09-11-18, 04:16 PM

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
edit to add: streaming check complete, subject to change of course
Amazon = 8
Shudder = 5
Netflix = 2, plus 1 disc only
Hulu = 1
HBO = 0
Fandor = 0
Kanopy = 1 (library dependent)
Hoopla = 1 (library dependent)
Vudu free = 0

Pretty awesome subset list! Somehow, it looks like I watched almost every single one of them in the last year, but I知 looking forward to them all just the same. I知 working on a Where are they streaming list, below is a first draft.

Dressed to Kill (1980) - Criterion - Amazon

1. Lifeforce (1985) - NOTLD 50th - Chad
2. The Zero Boys (1986) - Cheesy '80s - TheBigDave - Amazon
3. Marrowbone (2018) - Supernatural - jholmes - Hulu
4. The Lost Boys (1987) - Vampires - tarfrimmer - Netflix
5. A Quiet Place (2018) - Apocalyptic - arw6040
6. Blue Sunshine (1977) - Studies in Terror - ororama - Shudder
7. Repo! The Genetic Opera (2008) - Modern - PCBreakdown - Shudder
8. Terrifier (2018) - Slashers - Mondo Kane - Netflix
9. Antropophagus (1980) - Video Nasties - WillieMLF
10. Inside (2007) - Euro Passport - Bladz
11. Dr. Cyclops (1940) - Universal - shellebelle
12. Down (aka "The Shaft") (2001) - Elevator - Gobear
13. Dr. Caligari (1989) - Frankenstein/Mad Doctors - clckworang
14. Burial Ground: Nights of Terror (1981) - Zombies - Darkgod - Amazon & Shudder
15. Son of Dracula (1943) / Fangs of the Living Dead (1968) - Amazon / The Washing Machine (Vortice mortale) (1993) - Chrono - numbercrunch
16. Who Can Kill a Child? (1976) - Blood on the Beach - DaveyJoe
17. Maximum Overdrive (1986) - Joe Bob/Fango - Darth Maher - Amazon
18. Brainscan (1994) - Mind Games - Undeadcow
19. Peeping Tom (1960) - IMDB Highest Rated - Shack
20. The Toxic Avenger (1984) - Up All Night - jacob_b - Amazon
21. Hereditary (2018) - Atmospheric - mallratcal
22. Evil Toons (1992) - 1980's Video Company Spotlight - SterlingBen
23. Cujo (1983) - Dog/Bogs/Logs - cwileyy
24. Silver Bullet (1985) - Werewolves - JAX036
25. Blood Beach (1980) - Jawsploitation - indiephantom
26. Blood on Satan's Claw (1971) - Rocktober Blood - Trevor - Amazon
27. Demon Wind (1990) - Demonic - alyxstarr - Amazon & Shudder
28. Kwaidan (1964) - Anthologies - hbsvb
29. Happy Death Day (2017) - Bloody Birthday - Elliot57
30. Tenebre (1982) - Horrorspondents - SethDLH - Shudder
31. ??????? (????) - ??????? - Dick Laurent

Dave Made a Maze (2017) - Comedy - Netflix disc only & Kanopy & Hoopla
I found the following additional streaming sources.

Dressed to Kill (1980) - Hulu and Epix
Lifeforce (1985) - Starz
Fangs of the Living Dead (1968) - Tubi TV (with ads)
Maximum Overdrive (1986) - Hulu and Epix
Peeping Tom (1960) - Tubi TV (with ads)
Cujo (1983) - Starz
Kwaidan (1964) - Filmstruck (with Criterion channel)
Dave Made a Maze (2017) - Hulu
Old 09-11-18, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
BTW, I STILL can't believe Silver Bullet hasn't got the special/collector's treatment yet. Friggin' Paramount.
The Umbrella Blu-ray doesn't disappoint, IMO--remastered, a wealth of supplemental material, and region free.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.