7th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2018

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

7th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2018

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-18, 01:43 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: 7th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2018

Originally Posted by davidh777
I haven't seen that in years but should revisit. I got it in a BD three-pack with Se7en and Taking Lives (which I've never seen).
I have the same set and need to re-visit Taking Lives. I know I've seen it, but can't remember much more than a couple scenes (which probably says something).
Old 03-09-18, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 7th Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime/Mystery Discussion Thread March 2018

I’ve been watching episodes of Voltron today. Between episodes I have on Digital and DVDs, I have both the complete Lion series, and complete vehicle series. It was always a favorite when I was a kid, and I think it still holds up today. The music is awesome in the show too.
Old 03-09-18, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
My viewing's been rather boring - variety wise that is - so far... This week has consisted of Rockford Files, Hawaii Five-O, and Daniel Boone episodes. I've yet to watch a "stinker."
Rockford Files holds up! I watched a few episodes with my grandparents a few months ago. James Garner is so much fun to watch, and he and Noah Beery Jr. play off each other really well. Fun fact: James Garner was born in Norman, Oklahoma, and there is a statue of him downtown.
Old 03-09-18, 05:30 PM

Received 516 Likes on 372 Posts

I finished up the Fast & Furious series. Those last 4 movies (5-8) were a blast.
Old 03-09-18, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,026 Likes on 846 Posts

I love James Garner! I should watch those Support Your Local movies I got from Twilight Time.

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I finished up the Fast & Furious series. Those last 4 movies (5-8) were a blast.
I gave up on that franchise until the raves for #5 pulled me back in. The shift of focus from street racing to heist was great. Plus Gal Gadot!
Old 03-09-18, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm on the 3rd Bourne movie, Bourne Ultimatum. I liked the 2nd a lot more than the 1st, but 3 is a slow starter for me. Also, not a huge fan of the jerky camera style. I do plan on finishing the last two movies tonight and tomorrow since I'm half done. Might as well finish. I do appreciate the checks at icheckmovie.com. I'll be getting over 20 for these five movies, most of them from the 3rd movie.
Old 03-10-18, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I woke up early today, and decided to start right in on today's Challenge viewing. I started by browsing the Dish Guide, and I came across one of my favorite shows, Lassie, on FETV. It was one of the later episodes, with Corey, where Lassie was trying to save a couple of boys who were walking through a blasting area.
Old 03-10-18, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I watched The Bourne Identity this morning and really enjoyed it. Good action, intricate plot. I didn't get a feeling of "convoluted for convolution's sake" like LJG. I may watch the first sequel later.

I also watched The Punisher for the first time. It, too, was pretty good with some funny one-liners. i enjoyed the whole payback bit and how it was pulled off. Travolta was good in his role. I still have trouble believing how well he reinvented himself following Welcome Back Kotter, Grease, Saturday Night Fever, and Urban Cowboy - it's like it's he's a different person. I need to watch my new (well... I've had it a year or more but just haven't made time to watch it) BR of Pulp Fiction... That's the film that changed my mind and caused me to start taking him more seriously as an actor.
Old 03-10-18, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched The Bourne Identity this morning and really enjoyed it. Good action, intricate plot. I didn't get a feeling of "convoluted for convolution's sake" like LJG. I may watch the first sequel later.
Glad you liked it. Conspiracy theory type movies/shows are never my favorite and I admit I don't have as much patience for them as maybe I should. I'm about to pop in the 4th in a few minutes which I think is not a Matt Damon staring one, someone else is the main focus? Guess I'll find out!

I did watch another movie last night before bed and was pleasantly surprised. I watched Mad Max: Fury Road and really enjoyed it. I have watched the original many years ago and didn't particularly like it, so I've been hesitant to watch this one even with the great reviews it received. It kept me interested and even though it kind of is just one big car chase, I never felt bored. Loved the colors and think that the practical effects were the way to go. It never felt fake to me. There's always at least one moment in a film that relies on CGI that they just go a little too far and it takes me out of the film, but this one did not have that at all.
Old 03-10-18, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LJG765
I did watch another movie last night before bed and was pleasantly surprised. I watched Mad Max: Fury Road and really enjoyed it. I have watched the original many years ago and didn't particularly like it, so I've been hesitant to watch this one even with the great reviews it received. It kept me interested and even though it kind of is just one big car chase, I never felt bored. Loved the colors and think that the practical effects were the way to go. It never felt fake to me. There's always at least one moment in a film that relies on CGI that they just go a little too far and it takes me out of the film, but this one did not have that at all.
I'm a huge fan of the original Mad Max films but didn't care for Fury Road for pretty much the reason you stated. It feels like one big car chase. In all fairness, I've only seen it once and a second viewing could easily change my mind. After all, I didn't care for Beyond Thunderdome the first time I saw it either, although it remains my least favorite of the first 3 films.

You said you watched Mad Max - have you ever seen The Road Warrior (aka Mad Max II)? It's the best of the first 3 films.
Old 03-10-18, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You said you watched Mad Max - have you ever seen The Road Warrior (aka Mad Max II)? It's the best of the first 3 films.
Nope, haven't watched it. Disliked the first so didn't bother watching the 2nd. I also fell out of like of Mel Gibson, so it didn't really give me a reason to watch it. I'll put it on my list to watch, but it'll be pretty far down!

I'm about half way through Bourne Legacy and I think it's my favorite so far. It took a while to pick up speed for me, but I'm enjoying it. I like watching Jeremy Renner so that helps! But honestly, I think I know the big reason I was having trouble with the other movies-the jerky film style. I was reading about Legacy and they mentioned that the original director did not film this one and that that filming style is one he's known for. This movie doesn't have that style so it's easier for me to watch and concentrate on.

As I get older, jerky motions have started making me nauseated. I can't play certain video games which is what keyed me into it.
Old 03-10-18, 05:54 PM

Received 516 Likes on 372 Posts

I agree. I never liked the original Mad Max. The Road Warrior is a completely different film. It's easily one of the best Sci-Fi/Action movies from the 1980's.

Although I wonder how much it appeals to someone that's watching it for the first time now. Back in 1981, the movie blew people away. But it had such a huge impact on popular culture and the genre. Today's viewers probably wouldn't think it's any big deal.

But I would still highly recommend watching it. It's a classic.

Make sure when you watch it, that the video is in the correct 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Some streaming sites have a cropped 1.85:1 version (Vudu). Amazon and Movies Anywhere are OAR.
Old 03-11-18, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished a great documentary on the Smithsonian Channel, called Lost City Of Gladiators . It was all about a city in the Roman Empire that was famous for its gladiators. Besides talking about the city itself, it also spent quite a lot of time showing the battles and in general talking about the life of a gladiator.
Old 03-11-18, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I agree. I never liked the original Mad Max. The Road Warrior is a completely different film. It's easily one of the best Sci-Fi/Action movies from the 1980's.

Although I wonder how much it appeals to someone that's watching it for the first time now. Back in 1981, the movie blew people away. But it had such a huge impact on popular culture and the genre. Today's viewers probably wouldn't think it's any big deal.

But I would still highly recommend watching it. It's a classic.

Make sure when you watch it, that the video is in the correct 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Some streaming sites have a cropped 1.85:1 version (Vudu). Amazon and Movies Anywhere are OAR.
While I like the original Mad Max it's a completely different film than any of the sequels. It's a revenge film in a dystopian future, while The Road Warrior is a post-apocalyptic film that just happens to take place after the events of the first film.

An absolute classic of the genre, along with A Boy and His Dog (which doesn't qualify this month).
Old 03-11-18, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm about half way through Bourne Legacy and I think it's my favorite so far. It took a while to pick up speed for me, but I'm enjoying it. I like watching Jeremy Renner so that helps! But honestly, I think I know the big reason I was having trouble with the other movies-the jerky film style. I was reading about Legacy and they mentioned that the original director did not film this one and that that filming style is one he's known for. This movie doesn't have that style so it's easier for me to watch and concentrate on.

As I get older, jerky motions have started making me nauseated. I can't play certain video games which is what keyed me into it.
I've never liked that videography style. It's one of many reasons I generally dislike "found footage" films.

I watched Bourne Supremacy last evening and enjoyed it, but not as much as the first in the series. I may try for Bourne Legacy later today. Up next is War for the Planet of the Apes. A first time viewing.
Old 03-11-18, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like Voltron , but I’ve found out today, that it isn’t exactly a highly bingeable show. I’ve watched a few episodes throughout the course of today, since I was looking for a new show to work on. I’m already getting tired of the show. Maybe it’s one of those shows that are better in small doses.
Old 03-11-18, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've never liked that videography style. It's one of many reasons I generally dislike "found footage" films.

I watched Bourne Supremacy last evening and enjoyed it, but not as much as the first in the series. I may try for Bourne Legacy later today. Up next is War for the Planet of the Apes. A first time viewing.
So far Legacy is my favorite of the 4 I've watched so far. Going to try to finish off the series tonight, I think.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I like Voltron , but I’ve found out today, that it isn’t exactly a highly bingeable show. I’ve watched a few episodes throughout the course of today, since I was looking for a new show to work on. I’m already getting tired of the show. Maybe it’s one of those shows that are better in small doses.
I've found a few older cartoons are like that. Still have a nostalgic factor, but my tastes have changed or the show hasn't aged that well, but either way, not something I can watch more than one or two of in a row...
Old 03-11-18, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So far Legacy is my favorite of the 4 I've watched so far. Going to try to finish off the series tonight, I think.
I just discovered I don't own a copy of Legacy. I'd purchased Jason Bourne sometime last fall during a sale and picked up the Bourne Trilogy during BF sales. I thought that was it - I didn't research it that well. Now I have to decide if I "need" this one - at least right now - or not...
Old 03-11-18, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I've found a few older cartoons are like that. Still have a nostalgic factor, but my tastes have changed or the show hasn't aged that well, but either way, not something I can watch more than one or two of in a row...
My track record on that is somewhat mixed. Some are, many are not.

I can easily binge The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Jonny Quest, Space Ghost, The Herculoids, The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle, George of the Jungle, Family Guy, King of the Hill, and Batman: The Animated Series.

I can not binge Top Cat, Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Woody Woodpecker, anything from Filmation, Magilla Gorilla, Josie and the Pussycats, Scooby Doo, Pink Panther, and a few others.
Old 03-11-18, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

I just streamed War with Jet Li and Jason Statham. Interesting film, didn't see that final twist coming. As far as the checklist is concerned, I'm not sure if it fits under urban cop thriller or assassin/hit man. Even though it takes place in San Francisco, it also feels like it would fit under Hong Kong crime. So many choices for such an odd film.
Old 03-11-18, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I can not binge Top Cat, Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Woody Woodpecker, anything from Filmation, Magilla Gorilla, Josie and the Pussycats, Scooby Doo, Pink Panther, and a few others.
You ought to give Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated a try. It's very amiable to binging, especially season 2.
Old 03-12-18, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watched Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon tonight which I don't think I've seen in about 15 years. Such a relentlessly beautiful flick. I was thinking about watching the sequel on Netflix at some point this month but I remember hearing it was not that great. Anybody have an opinion on it?
Old 03-12-18, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,026 Likes on 846 Posts

I wish I had an opinion. That was on my to-watch list for a previous challenge--maybe this one!
Old 03-12-18, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just realized - today (March 12th) is National Alfred Hitchcock Day! I'm going to celebrate with a first-time viewing of the lesser known Number Seventeen from 1932.

Old 03-12-18, 08:29 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
Watched Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon tonight which I don't think I've seen in about 15 years. Such a relentlessly beautiful flick. I was thinking about watching the sequel on Netflix at some point this month but I remember hearing it was not that great. Anybody have an opinion on it?
Pretty sure I only saw this once, and loved it. If my ‘normal’ films weren’t all boxed away I’d dig it out to watch this month.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.