DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

How can i fix subtitles?

Old 12-28-17, 12:18 PM

How can i fix subtitles?

Hi guys,
I bought a DVD movie and wish to make a backup copy. I was somewhat successful in doing this but the backup copy disc plays the movie with subtitles.

I went through the DVD menu settings to turn OFF the subtitles but still no matter what, it keeps on playing the movie with the subtitles turned on. I thought there might be a glitch in my DVD player, so I gave it to my brother to try it out on his home system. Same problem. How can I correct this?

Here are the instructions I was given to rip my original disc.
1)
Downloaded DVD Fab - ripped the full contents onto my hard drive. (used the latest version DVDFab_x64_10076)
The Audio_TS folder was empty
The Video_TS folder was about 7.5 GB

2)
Used DVD Shrink to compress both the Audio_TS and Video_TS folder contents and used the application feature to back it up as ISO file.

3)
I then used ImgBurn application to extract iso and burn it directly onto a blank DVD.

These steps worked for another DVD movie in my collection but this one seems to be problematic for some reason.

I have two questions:

1) The ripped contents are still on my hard drive so I was wondering if there is a file I should modify? Perhaps like a VOB or IFO file?

2) If I cannot correct this problem, I'd like to start over. Is there a better ripping application other than DVD Fab? (And yes, I know how to Google but I'd like to know what some of you prefer to use that has proven to be more accurate than DVD Fab.)

I am somewhat new to ripping and know only basics. Any tips would be appreciated!
Old 12-28-17, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: How can i fix subtitles?

We're not allowed to discuss ripping here even though the studios have ceased to pay attention to us.
Old 12-28-17, 02:08 PM

I forgot to mention that in step #2, (DVD shrink software) I unchecked the option to include audio tracks for Spanish and French, and subtitles as well.

Milo - thanks for the response. Looks like you and I were cross posting at the same time. What does this subsection forum allow here then?
Old 12-28-17, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mainly discussing the hobby of collecting. Finding deals and such.
Old 01-01-18, 07:35 AM

Sounds like you might have a DVD w/burnt-in subtitles, meaning that the subs are actually on the print itself and are not being optionally added. If you can't remove the subs with the subtitle button on your remote while the movie is playing then I'd say they're burnt-in.

What title are we talking about and which studio put it out?