DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2018 Horror Challenge

Old 11-11-17, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2018 Horror Challenge

Here's everything taken from the wiki:
  • Recently deceased seems unruly with so many names and a lot of them don't seem to have big horror outputs, maybe trim it down to just watch a movie by a recently deceased contributor.
  • Remove 'masters of commentary,' it's too specific when most participants don't emphasize commentary tracks anyway.
  • Consider alternating out 'tales place on lake/water' because variety.
  • Be cool with multiple viewings of same movie.
  • The checklist feels routine and most people who watch 100 films might automatically complete it anyway, maybe alter checklist to include subtle things like grimy walls, white dresses, axe, flickering lights, or other tropes more like a scavenger hunt.
  • Maybe allow for multiple day themes - for example, there are tons of zombie or vampire films so maybe there could/should be multiple zombie days (or maybe an Undead week with linked themes alternating each day)
  • Scarecrows for a theme or checklist item (or maybe merge it with mummies, not sure if they're similar enough)
  • Future Theme or Checklist Ideas: Victims sleeping through chaos and/or sleep related, Mirrors, Takes Place in a Mall checklist item, Psychiatric Theme Day, Sealed Room theme day (a room or building that is sealed away is catalyst), Electronic voice phenomena and/or cameras/technology showing truth, Jocks/Bullying, Redemption/Soul Harvesting, burgomaster present, horror movie playing on television, dogs, countess bathory, apocalypse
  • Maybe we could extend the chronological horror theme day to include 75th anniversary as well.
  • Shall We Play a Game? Theme Day - films that revolve around a game or contest (Saw films, Would You Rather, Cube, Most Dangerous Game). Didn't check but not sure if we have had something like this as a theme before.
  • Master of Commentary: Herschel Gordon Lewis, George Romero
  • Future Actor/Actress Ideas: Brian Cox, Caroline Williams, Helga Liné, Lauren Ashley Carter
  • Director/Writer: Micheal Keating
Old 11-11-17, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2018 Horror Challenge

Also, I regret to say that on July 2 every single image in the 13 year history of the horror challenge will turn into this:

With the exception of the banners from 2011 - 2013 that used ImageShack (and are now gone) every single image file has been hosted via those greedy bastards at Photobucket. I currently have the lower-tier $4.99 a month plan and all 3rd party hosting is going away after one year, that is, unless it's upgraded to the $400 a year plan. Yeah, that won't be happening.

So any recommendations for new image hosting sites? And remember, it has to accommodate the challenge needs such as a) handling the bandwidth, b) being able to accommodate larger png images like the banner, and without downgrading the quality, and c) they can't miraculously disappear like the ImageShack ones because there are literally hundreds of images.

Coincidentally, thirteen seems like a good solid number to announce my retirement as host, so good luck to the poor sap who has to deal with this!
Old 11-11-17, 05:50 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

This isn't April 1st Chad!
Old 11-11-17, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Coincidentally, thirteen seems like a good solid number to announce my retirement as host, so good luck to the poor sap who has to deal with this!
Old 11-11-17, 07:03 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

For image hosting I would go with https://imgur.com/ it's free and is stable and I don't think there are any bandwidth limits.

I hope that last bit is a joke.
Old 11-11-17, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 354 Likes on 227 Posts

This was more horrific to read than anything I viewed last month.
Old 11-11-17, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Wow. Way to drop a bombshell; if true it's been a spectacular run and much appreciated. I cannot imagine who could fill those shoes.
Old 11-12-17, 12:27 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mallratcal
For image hosting I would go with https://imgur.com/ it's free and is stable and I don't think there are any bandwidth limits.

I'll second Imgur. I've been using it since I started the challenge, and don't think there has been any issue with quality. It's also used all over Reddit, so definitely no bandwith issues.

OK Chad, it's been a few hours now... you can tell us you were only joking!

...please?
Old 11-12-17, 01:14 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

I recently had to kick the (Photo)bucket because of the same issues. I use Flickr now, which is free for me I think because of my Yahoo email account. Don't know the limitations on size, etc but that may be worth checking out.

Oh, by the way, you're not allowed to retire. You signed a lifetime contract in blood... remember?

But seriously, I hope that's not true. That's like Johnny Carson retiring from The Tonight Show.
Old 11-12-17, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by mallratcal

I have been using imgur since imageshack went to crap with no issues (desktop version). I too beseech you to last out the forum (probably only a few more years). But if Chad is out should we jump to somewhere more happening?

Last edited by SterlingBen; 11-12-17 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-12-17, 08:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all your excellent and undoubtedly really hard work over the years, Chad! It has always been a blast.
Old 11-12-17, 12:10 PM

Imgur is awful on mobile, so perhaps we could think about postimage.org or another.
Old 11-12-17, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I guess all good things DO come to an end. I’m sure whoever takes over will do a great job, but you were truly the host with the most Chad.
Old 11-12-17, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

Wow. Hard to believe if true that Chad is stepping down as host. That makes this planning thread all the more critical.
Old 11-12-17, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
Wow. Hard to believe if true that Chad is stepping down as host. That makes this planning thread all the more critical.
If it's true, I vote we don't mess with things much, but just keep things pretty much as is. Maybe a one year break will be all Chad needs.

We can use the themes and subsets that were next up in the voting a couple months ago, just leaving a few days open for industry passings or great last month or two ideas. Either way, I hope we can finalize the themes and subsets way earlier than normal, at least a month before October.
Old 11-12-17, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry guys, I was just having a really off day yesterday. That was honestly meant to be taken as a joke; I just failed to include the "" emoticon. And I'm not so great with keeping up with threads when I don't have email subscriptions to them. So yeah, the poor sap in question is me.

That said, I usually do have some doubts immediately afterwards, but always come around once I start work on the next one. Anyway, *if* I do decide to call it quits, you'll get adequate notice, and I definitely won't go out like a drama queen that leaves everyone hanging.
Old 11-12-17, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

And there was MUCH rejoicing!!!
Old 11-12-17, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Old 11-12-17, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Crisis averted! Thanks again for everything you do for this challenge Chad.
Old 11-12-17, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

-Recently deceased seems unruly with so many names and a lot of them don't seem to have big horror outputs, maybe trim it down to just watch a movie by a recently deceased contributor.
This did make the checklist more difficult this year for me to complete without excessive streaming. So I agree but not to get rid of it just maybe lower the threshold.

-Remove 'masters of commentary,' it's too specific when most participants don't emphasize commentary tracks anyway.
I like this one but I love commentaries too so my opinion might be slanted. But if these are the tracks that people who don't listen to tracks listen to it maybe a gateway special feature. Keep it?

-Consider alternating out 'tales place on lake/water' because
Having "Select 30 of the following" really covers that base doesn't it?

-Be cool with multiple viewings of same movie.
Ehhhhh, with commentary sure but otherwise I am not really feeling this one.

-The checklist feels routine and most people who watch 100 films might automatically complete it anyway, maybe alter checklist to include subtle things like grimy walls, white dresses, axe, flickering lights, or other tropes more like a scavenger hunt.
Definitely not routine, I always watch 100 films and 20-30% are things that I have to watch for checklist that I would not otherwise have watched. But I still like the the extra checks of white dresses and axes.

-Future Theme or Checklist Ideas: Victims sleeping through chaos and/or sleep related, Mirrors, Takes Place in a Mall checklist item, Psychiatric Theme Day, Sealed Room theme day (a room or building that is sealed away is catalyst), Electronic voice phenomena and/or cameras/technology showing truth, Jocks/Bullying, Redemption/Soul Harvesting, burgomaster present, horror movie playing on television, dogs, countess bathory, apocalypse
I am feeling apocalypse out of those.

-Maybe we could extend the chronological horror theme day to include 75th anniversary as well.
Cool with that, more anniversary choices, that was a hard check to hit.

I am still down for bonus days that happen throughout the year. At least every Friday The 13th.

Movies that use real skeletons

Last edited by SterlingBen; 11-12-17 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-12-17, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

Chad is back!
Old 11-13-17, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
-Recently deceased seems unruly with so many names and a lot of them don't seem to have big horror outputs, maybe trim it down to just watch a movie by a recently deceased contributor.
This did make the checklist more difficult this year for me to complete without excessive streaming. So I agree but not to get rid of it just maybe lower the threshold.

-Remove 'masters of commentary,' it's too specific when most participants don't emphasize commentary tracks anyway.
I like this one but I love commentaries too so my opinion might be slanted. But if these are the tracks that people who don't listen to tracks listen to it maybe a gateway special feature. Keep it?

-Consider alternating out 'tales place on lake/water' because
Having "Select 30 of the following" really covers that base doesn't it?

-The checklist feels routine and most people who watch 100 films might automatically complete it anyway, maybe alter checklist to include subtle things like grimy walls, white dresses, axe, flickering lights, or other tropes more like a scavenger hunt.
Definitely not routine, I always watch 100 films and 20-30% are things that I have to watch for checklist that I would not otherwise have watched. But I still like the the extra checks of white dresses and axes.

-Future Theme or Checklist Ideas: Victims sleeping through chaos and/or sleep related, Mirrors, Takes Place in a Mall checklist item, Psychiatric Theme Day, Sealed Room theme day (a room or building that is sealed away is catalyst), Electronic voice phenomena and/or cameras/technology showing truth, Jocks/Bullying, Redemption/Soul Harvesting, burgomaster present, horror movie playing on television, dogs, countess bathory, apocalypse
I am feeling apocalypse out of those.

-Maybe we could extend the chronological horror theme day to include 75th anniversary as well.

I am still down for bonus days that happen throughout the year. At least every Friday The 13th.

Movies that use real skeletons
Pretty much completely agree with Ben here. Love the recently deceased list (well, sadly love), but lower the threshold to "one or more".

Watching the same movie more than once? No!!!

Love the bonus Friday the 13th day, but only when it is in September, and only for actual Friday the 13th content. That puts it during our ramp up to the Challenge period, and is only 24 hours of bonus time every 7 years.
Old 11-13-17, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Movies that use real skeletons[/b]
The master's of Commentary has been the most difficult for me, as I don't think I have most of these, or I just don't have the inclination to want to watch what I have. Don't get me wrong, I love commentary tracks, especially on the old Universal disks.

How do you identify a real skeleton without a DNA test? The medical school over here only uses those plastic ones, and I don't even think I've seen a 'real' skeleton in over 30 years, and that was denuded bone on a partial skeleton.

I sorely missed apocalypse this year, but I watched them anyway and found a new favorite.

Upon hearing Chad was done, I relived my feelings of dread having Thanksgiving dinner with my in laws. This was replaced by elation that dinner was finally over, and Chad was sticking around.

Last edited by WillieMLF; 11-13-17 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-13-17, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Glad to hear Chad is still in; is there anything that can be delegated out to ease any burden of hosting? It does seem like what can be handled democratically mostly is but if there's times it's no fun that's a bummer; if nothing else the work is very much appreciated here.
Originally Posted by Trevor
Watching the same movie more than once? No!!!
In my personal viewing I agree with preferring first time viewings, but if someone wants to count a film however many times I don't see the basis for stopping them. There's no obvious reason for being allowed to count a film only once and rules like this only contribute to policing just for the sake of policing. Is the objection that maybe someone will try to cheat when there's no prize for most watched anyway? No one would be forced to rewatch a movie if they don't want, but it should be allowed for those who do.

Occasionally I'll see some mind blowing gem and think -"wow, I've got to subject my significant other, friends, and anyone else I can find to this amazing film!" but then think to myself "...but then if I watched it with them I couldn't technically count it" and that's kind of a bummer. I know sometimes people who end up seeing a movie theatrically several times when they go with different groups of people.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 11-13-17 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-13-17, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I make a motion that next time Chad wants to give us all a heart attack, he buys life insurance for everyone. Glad to have you back Chad.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.