Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WillieMLF
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- Unknown if multi-use or if will work on 40% Off Items
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp ?? (III)

15% Single Item exp 11/6 2:59am ET -- if these are all used I can post some more.
New codes added below at least to make the bots and lurkers work a little harder. Used codes removed 3:30pm. New Codes added
Spoiler:

HAXMEZYU7FLZ6
GNLBSJZQGPR9P
X5Z8R8XWAKJP1
JD5P9RSPTEDS7
33S8AB64EUME8
T25JYEX4UAB24
LNTSFDZE8NYUA
FTA9M2GEUC1L3
5DWYS67A3RNKC
9WGF8LVSL5FVL
D8ECEK8SFWJDS
LN5726AE4DMT1
C3U1LKYGLZCX3
VUDRA2JC25KMK
8XS6GUTSXDS7S
QF467L793K3QP
RTGC3VZGZGDN7
UY2JAJ8EQTZT5
466K2XS75CPYL
JTWKS2PM3GNRK
MPJZ5TWBZM55L
1LCJA9G6DK13A
R2SYXPPPL9GS4
Y1D7UL6QEDS8S

Some possible upcoming codes
STACKED
YESANDYES
DAYMAKER
TAKEFIVE

"New Member" Welcome Coupons
Welcome coupons may be dead -- or at least the type that have been available for nearly a decade. The latest set now have what appears to be single use codes so these probably no longer will be generic/multiple use style.
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-17, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Meant to say earlier that I especially enjoyed your videos this year.
Hey thanks! I've got a couple more to go to finish up (the last few days I just didn't feel like doing much in the way of writing/reviewing).
Old 11-01-17, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
No health problems or equipment failures, but an even bigger cause for concern was i ran out of cigars during the challenge
We almost had a problem free challenge!!
Old 11-01-17, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

I just took today to veg out and watch tv. I have to edit my list tonight or tommorow. I hit a hundred... but it was another lower year. Every year im saying.. im done with a hundred and every year i go back to it. I failed with my videos... agai .
Old 11-01-17, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Anyone else have a huge backlog on the DVR because you wanted to maximize your tv viewing for just horror?

My list is finalized with an annoying un-round total of 101.25 (with 61 first time views). By popular demand I've star ratings to all my movie mini-reviews! Well ... there was absolutely no demand by anyone for this But when looking at other lists, I find I like seeing an easy rating in addition to comments.

Last edited by brainee; 11-01-17 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-01-17, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Hey, I survived another one! Thanks as always to everyone participating and keeping this challenge thriving year after year. And for putting up with a host who's barely been in here as of late.

This is the first time in recent memory I've actually gotten through the bulk of my to watch pile, and it was a big one. That can only mean November will be full of obsessing over supplemental material that I'll never get around to finishing. The list is a week behind, but looks like I'll hit my main goal of 100 first time views.

Originally Posted by brainee
Anyone have a huge backlog on the DVR because you wanted to maximize your tv viewing for just horror?
My TiVo exceeded its hard drive capacity and recordings were lost, so yeah.
Old 11-01-17, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Anyone else have a huge backlog on the DVR because you wanted to maximize your tv viewing for just horror?

My list is finalized with an annoying un-round total of 101.25 (with 61 first time views). By popular demand I've star ratings to all my movie mini-reviews! Well ... there was absolutely no demand by anyone for this But when looking at other lists, I find I like seeing an easy rating in addition to comments.
I didn't lose any recordings, but I have a lot to watch on my DVR this month. Including sporting events.
Old 11-01-17, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

That's part of my challenge tradition. I always have a massive backlog that takes me pretty much the rest of the year to catch up on. It's sort of fun to have some stuff to binge. The clearing out process has already begun.
Old 11-01-17, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The inevitable reminders shamelessly copied from the wiki...

Best List Voting is open.

PM or email.

Lists are due 11/7.

This is if you wanna be eligible for certain prize categories -- 50 & under, 100 & under, the optional lists, and whatever else I'm probably forgetting.

Winners Addresses are due 11/10.

***Please don't abandon this thread immediately after Halloween!*** I'll also post the winners on the Facebook page, but don't rely on the post to make it to your news feed/wall. Check the OHMC Page directly.

If you already own some of the prizes, let me know and I'll see what I can do. As usual, no guarantees I can accommodate your request.

Old 11-01-17, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My list is finalized, Chad.
Old 11-01-17, 10:38 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Being the newb, do we have do anything with our list checklist etc.... when we're finished, or it's all good as long it's all posted in our spot on the List thread? thanks.
Old 11-02-17, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

(I'll finalize my list later)
160 movies on the dot. Im pleased with that. Got off to a bad start pre-challenge (My youtube account got deleted--Which explains the missing vid of mine that Chad posted in his excellent banner) and (Despite the great weather) the Trick-Treaters were mostly a no-show. Still can't call this a total disappointment though.

On to my usual observances before I get to the awards:

That damn hand on the shoulder gag-My 14th challenge and this EASILY contained the most "Hand-on-the-shoulder" false alarm/jump scares. Still hard to believe they're doing this in the 2010s!

Thick Gals Represent-Another challenge milestone for me was that this marathon contained the most (Nekkid) plus-size women I've seen (Appearing in The Hospital, Babysitter Massacre and The Curse of Blanchard Hill) As you might expect, you have to go to the no-budget horrors to find these women (The bigger studios would never allow this) but I was pleased to see so much variety for once!

IFC FILMS/IFC MIDNIGHT rules the horror world-I mentioned in the discussion thread how I seemed to constantly run into IFC films. Thankfully, they all turned out to be worthwhile.

Opera overdose-Opera music tested my patience this year with The Climax and Argento's Phantom of the Opera. There was also a heavily-used opera tune in From Within and then there was the self-titled, The Vampire of the Opera. No singing in that one, thank god.

Minor Italian Gems-I saw a trio of much-lesser known 60's Italian Gothic Horror: Crypt of the vampire, Dungeon of Torture and The Vampire of the Opera. I liked all three. Please direct me to more like these for next year!

Weak on the extras-If you check out my lists, I always include random Halloween youtube vids in between movies. While it was great to see the return of the usual suspects (Seth,RetroHorror,DarkGod) the "Search > Halloween > Today" filter was a massive disappointment this year. Gone were all the cool vids of top 10 haunts/vlogs/scary stories/movie lists and DIY décor. In their place were tons of Pennywise tutorials and constant video game crap.

Groovier social media-Although it happened late in the month, I loved Instagram's added feature of including an additional person (Skype style) for a livestream of watching horror movies. Beats out always typing shit.

Best Audio Commentary-The Mummy (Scott Essman, Steve Haberman, Bob Burns, and Brent Armstrong)

Best FX-Gerald's Game (Only FX that made me flinch)

Best death/kill-Dream Home (Involving a stick)

Favorite Rubber Monster-The Haunted Sea

Favorite Cast-Out of the Dark: Karen Black, Tracey Walter Geoffrey Lewis, Bud Cort and a cameo by Devine!

Pre-Twilight sighting: Blood and Chocolate

Most annoying scream-Barbara Stanwyck in The Night Walker

Best HD makeover-Dracula (Spanish version)

Would have liked them more as shorts:
The House of Flies
Gerald's Game

Best Foreign movie-Julia's Eyes

Wouldn't mind seeing it remade-The Asphyx

Awards time!

Best Movie(s) (First time viewing)
The Babysitter-Loved the humor and just about all of it's violent gags.
A Ghost Story-The one that stuck in mind the longest.
The Autopsy of Jane Doe-Aside from most of the jump scares not working and an uneven performance by Emille Hirsch, I loved this.
Bad Moon-No other movie breezed by as fast as this one did.
Tales of Halloween-A few misses with the stories, but the good mightily outweighed the bad.
The Black Room-I need more perverted ghost/demon movies in my life!
Close calls:
The Devil's Candy-The finale felt tacked on to me. It didn't match the grim & disturbing tone that preceded it.
The Boys in the Trees-Totally loved it's look & ideas. WAY too heavy with the innocence-lost theme, however.
+1-Hmmm. Now that I think of it, my complaints seemed to have drifted away. Elevate this one higher!

Worst Movie(s)
Zombie Massacre 2: Reich of the Dead-About a total of 9 minutes of zombie action. I think this actually beats out Zombie Lake for worst Nazi-zombie movie.
Below Ground-A hopeful first minute or so. Completely boring shit after that.
Vampire Conspiracy-CUBE with vampires. No where near as cool as it sounds.

Imagine My Surprise! (aka "holy shit, I actually enjoyed that!")
Siren-A spin-off from an anthology didn't seem promising, but I ended up liking this a lot.

Biggest Disappointment(s)
Under The Shadow-I was expecting it to be like Devil's Backbone, but got more of a Poltergeist vibe. This also felt like "Too little, too late".

Best "Better on a 2nd viewing" movie
A Virgin Among The Living Dead-Thanks mostly to Tim Lucas' commentary for deciphering the surrealness

It's Cheestastic! (Bringing back a category Chad started!)
Freeway Maniac
The Haunted Sea
Hack-O-Lantern

"WTF did I just watch?"
Sorority Girls and the Creature from Hell
Zombie Nation
Female Werewolf

*FAVORITE HORROR BABES*

Asskickers/Final Girls
Shannon Whirry-The Granny
Sarah Dumont-Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse
Krista Allen-The Haunted Sea

Bad Girls/She Beasts
Susana Beltrán-Blood of the Virgins
Samara Weaving-The Babysitter (Although Hana Mae Lee was more my type)
Darian Crane-Fist of the Vampire

The Boobage Award!
Quite a bit to choose from this year:
The Hospital
American Nightmare
Babysitter Massacre
Disco Exorcist
Vampire Ecstasy

I guess I have to go with Babysitter Massacre. Couldn't get more gratuitous than that!

So I guess that does it! Thanks to Chad (Condolences for your cat) and the kickass sponsors who outdid themselves. And thanks to all who participated in keeping this baby alive!!!

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 11-02-17 at 04:32 AM.
Old 11-02-17, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

My list is final.

53 Total Views
27 First Time Views

Not as good as last year (80 something), but who's counting...

The challenge was once again a pleasure and another big thanks to Chad and all the sponsors.
Old 11-02-17, 07:39 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Mondo Kane, I wish more people would do a detailed overview like this! I definitely agree that IFC Films/IFC Midnight rules. I did not want to like their films and yet they (and I also ran into quite a few) never disappointed. I think I will copy your post to the beginning of next years challenge listing so that I will have a ready-made listing of movies to consider. I might even consider Zombie Massacre 2: Reich of the Dead just to see what could possibly beat out Zombie Lake for worst Nazi-zombie movie!
Old 11-02-17, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

My list is finalized!

I really like that overview as well Mondo Kane. This makes it easier to find things that I will checkout/pickup over the next year.

I'm gradually reentering society, but I've started going through the list thread. I do have some free time on my hands....
Old 11-02-17, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Having some more fun- even after the challenge; (From my viewing list only)

Ones that I liked Outpost, Long Hair of Death, The Witch, Slaughter of the Vampires
Ones that I didn't like- It Follows..It blows!- It was so bad- had to write a post only on this one.
Best Rating that I gave- The Omen 1976. 10/10- for nostalgic porpoises.
New movies that I haven't used for the challenge before- Plague of Zombies, Mark of the vampire, Dargentos Dracula, Tremors ( seen it many times but not used for the challenge ), Alien- Covenant ( new release )..Again, these are just for the ones that I used for this years challenge. Not overall bests.
Old 11-02-17, 10:05 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

My list is final.

Total watched: 51
First time viewings: 42

Not bad for starting Oct 22! I look forward to being able to keep up with the theme nights next year.
Old 11-02-17, 10:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

I did my stats and I watched a record 182. That is, and will be, my personal best because I won't be trying to beat that! I think since it was "Year 13" I went all out.

As always it was terrific fun so thank you Chad and thank you sponsors.
Old 11-02-17, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
I did my stats and I watched a record 182. That is, and will be, my personal best because I won't be trying to beat that! I think since it was "Year 13" I went all out.

That is one great looking list Surfinhank! A lot of real nice touches.
Old 11-02-17, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Finished list for my 9th challenge at 197 viewings - completed checklist, theme nights, and subset minimums.

Here's my stab at a few highlights:
  • The Greats: Under the Shadow, Midnight Son, Autopsy of Jane Doe, Lake Bodom, Jack-O, Sleep Tight, Evolution, Sweet Home, Necrophobia, Dark Signal, The Windmill, The Devil's Candy, The Transfiguration, Under the Shadow
  • The Duds: Intruder (2016), Shelley, Hellbenders, Ludo, Beyond Re-Animator, Urban Legends: Bloody Mary, Beyond the Gates, XX, Residue, The Presence, The Visit, I Drink Your Blood, Home Invasion, Murder Weapon, Blood of Irina
  • Biggest Surprises [I wasn’t expecting a lot going in, unexpectedly better than average]: Nina Forever, Knock Knock, Tales of Halloween, Highway to Hell, The Babysitter, Road Games
  • Strangest Creatures: Loreley’s Grasp, Jack-O, Timewalker
  • Most Effective Soundtracks: Let’s Be Evil, Satanic
  • Scariest: Autopsy of Janes Doe
  • Sleaziest: The Black Room
  • Stayed With Me [Thought Provoking or Puzzling]: Under the Shadow, Martyrs, The Disappointments Room
  • Bleakest Films: Martyrs, Eden Lake, Inside
  • Most Kinetic Fast Paced: Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
  • Most Unusual [Not Necessarily Good]: Dave Made a Maze, Antibirth, Patchwork
  • Most Mind Blowing: Belief: The Possession of Janet Moses (finding out this was a true story documentary really confused me; initially I was thinking some of the plot was a little dumb only to find out it really happened tilted my perspective).
  • Prettiest [Most Scenic or Well Staged]: Hounds of Love, The Devil's Candy, Messiah of Evil, Dig Two Graves

Summary Viewing Stats :
Total Watched: 197 items - 298 hours, 32 minutes (90.9 minutes per film average)
By Decade: 108 2010s | 22 2000s | 20 1990s | 28 1980s | 14 1970s | 5 1960s | 4 1950s | 1 1940s | 1 1930s
By Format: 156 Online Streaming | 1 DVD | 38 Blu-ray | 3 Theater
Average Film Star Rating: 5.64 stars out of 10
124 First Time Viewings [63% of viewings] | Themes: 58% (114) viewings matched that day's theme

Last edited by Undeadcow; 11-03-17 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-02-17, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by JOE29
Best Rating that I gave- The Omen 1976. 10/10- for nostalgic porpoises.
Old 11-02-17, 05:40 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfinhank

That looks fantastic! What program did you use? Or is that a state secret? :-)
Old 11-02-17, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Always forget to mention it ...please include how many challenges you've done. Gonna do the '5 or more' and '10 or more' categories again.

Originally Posted by Voorheeshulk
Being the newb, do we have do anything with our list checklist etc.... when we're finished, or it's all good as long it's all posted in our spot on the List thread? thanks.
Putting "list complete" in your actual list is the most helpful.

Going a step further and doing the same in here alongside your total and whatever of the three optional lists you've completed also helps speed up the process.
Old 11-02-17, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chad
Always forget to mention it ...please include how many challenges you've done. Gonna do the '5 or more' and '10 or more' categories again.

Putting "list complete" in your actual list is the most helpful.

Going a step further and doing the same in here alongside your total and whatever of the three optional lists you've completed also helps speed up the process.
I already said my list was finalized, but I noted it on my list, Chad. Even though I already stated here that this was number 10, I also noted it on my list.
Old 11-02-17, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

List is complete, my montage is far from complete. This is my fifth completed challenge. I watched 75 films total(49 FTV). I completed both the theme list and subset list. Thanks to Chad for putting on another great challenge!
Old 11-02-17, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

List finalized.

List finalized --
53 Total Views
27 First Time Views
Participated in 8 Challenges total

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.