Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WillieMLF
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- Unknown if multi-use or if will work on 40% Off Items
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp ?? (III)

15% Single Item exp 11/6 2:59am ET -- if these are all used I can post some more.
New codes added below at least to make the bots and lurkers work a little harder. Used codes removed 3:30pm. New Codes added
Spoiler:

HAXMEZYU7FLZ6
GNLBSJZQGPR9P
X5Z8R8XWAKJP1
JD5P9RSPTEDS7
33S8AB64EUME8
T25JYEX4UAB24
LNTSFDZE8NYUA
FTA9M2GEUC1L3
5DWYS67A3RNKC
9WGF8LVSL5FVL
D8ECEK8SFWJDS
LN5726AE4DMT1
C3U1LKYGLZCX3
VUDRA2JC25KMK
8XS6GUTSXDS7S
QF467L793K3QP
RTGC3VZGZGDN7
UY2JAJ8EQTZT5
466K2XS75CPYL
JTWKS2PM3GNRK
MPJZ5TWBZM55L
1LCJA9G6DK13A
R2SYXPPPL9GS4
Y1D7UL6QEDS8S

Some possible upcoming codes
STACKED
YESANDYES
DAYMAKER
TAKEFIVE

"New Member" Welcome Coupons
Welcome coupons may be dead -- or at least the type that have been available for nearly a decade. The latest set now have what appears to be single use codes so these probably no longer will be generic/multiple use style.
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-17, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

I've been slowly working my way through the Resident Evil series this month, and only have The Final Chapter left, having just finished a first time view of Retribution. I wasn't impressed by Afterlife, considering it rather dull after the first three movies. As such, I didn't have high hopes for Retribution. I was pleasantly surprised however, since I rather enjoyed it. I've heard the last movie isn't very good, so I'm not sure if I am looking forward to finishing the series.
Old 10-21-17, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

It's really hard for a film like The Omen to have the same impact on today's viewers that it had in the 70s. Not because it's ineffective, but because it's so revered and has become a pop culture icon that expectations reach unrealistic heights. I'm familiar with some of the more iconic scenes thanks to parodies or 'greatest moments of horror' lists. When everybody keeps telling you that you have to see this amazing horror classic, it's hard to go into a viewing with the proper mindset. If you're not totally blown away you're going to wonder what all the fuss is about.

I saw The Exorcist on the big screen when I was 13 when they released the version you've never seen before, and it freaked me the hell out. At 31, I know if I watch the Omen it probably won't scare me, but I could probably appreciate for its quality production and acting, but I know it will probably never impact me the way it did people who saw it in the 70s. The more people tell me I have to see it, the more I kind of want to wait until I know I'm in the right mindset.
Old 10-21-17, 12:57 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
It's really hard for a film like The Omen to have the same impact on today's viewers that it had in the 70s. Not because it's ineffective, but because it's so revered and has become a pop culture icon that expectations reach unrealistic heights. I'm familiar with some of the more iconic scenes thanks to parodies or 'greatest moments of horror' lists. When everybody keeps telling you that you have to see this amazing horror classic, it's hard to go into a viewing with the proper mindset. If you're not totally blown away you're going to wonder what all the fuss is about.

I saw The Exorcist on the big screen when I was 13 when they released the version you've never seen before, and it freaked me the hell out. At 31, I know if I watch the Omen it probably won't scare me, but I could probably appreciate for its quality production and acting, but I know it will probably never impact me the way it did people who saw it in the 70s. The more people tell me I have to see it, the more I kind of want to wait until I know I'm in the right mindset.
Good points. It's obviously different for everyone, but some movies can maintain their impact even decades later. I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks The Exorcist still packs a punch, probably still ranks as my scariest film. The dark narrow confines for most of the film perhaps adds to that, while The Omen is slightly more bright and airy. Also, for those with strong religious feelings, the realism of The Exorcist is probably stronger than The Omen.
Old 10-21-17, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 659 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I've been slowly working my way through the Resident Evil series this month, and only have The Final Chapter left, having just finished a first time view of Retribution. I wasn't impressed by Afterlife, considering it rather dull after the first three movies. As such, I didn't have high hopes for Retribution. I was pleasantly surprised however, since I rather enjoyed it. I've heard the last movie isn't very good, so I'm not sure if I am looking forward to finishing the series.
I watched Retribution earlier today. Like you, I thought it was actually rather good, especially so after Afterlife. I've heard the same about the final film but it'll be a while before I see it as I don't yet own a copy. I plan to watch them all in order once I finally purchase a copy of that one.
Old 10-21-17, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 659 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Good points. It's obviously different for everyone, but some movies can maintain their impact even decades later. I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks The Exorcist still packs a punch, probably still ranks as my scariest film. The dark narrow confines for most of the film perhaps adds to that, while The Omen is slightly more bright and airy. Also, for those with strong religious feelings, the realism of The Exorcist is probably stronger than The Omen.
I think you're right on target. In spite of my not being Catholic, I feel the religious undertones add a certain gravitas to The Exorcist that absolutely makes it play better.
Old 10-21-17, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

This is a fun 1980s sales video for my theme movie for today.

Last edited by Gobear; 10-21-17 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-21-17, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

I'll echo the positive comments on The Autopsy of Jane Doe. That was horror done right, and easily my favorite watch of the challenge thus far. Brian Cox is quickly becoming a genre legend. Reminds me a bit of a modern day Donald Pleasence.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I'm fairly certain, like the Saw series, I stopped after the third one. Too much CGI and emphasis of action over horror. Then again, they're good dumb fun and might have to give them another shot.
Old 10-21-17, 04:21 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

All this Omen talk made me watch part II and III. I grew up with them, so I love them, especially the first one. They do get progressively worst, but still fun to watch.
Old 10-21-17, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 308 Posts

I went to a horror triple feature at a local theater last night, I made it through two of the movies before going home. Tales from the Hood was a lot of fun, I enjoyed all the stories. Even with its SJW bent it was so over the top and ridiculous I just had fun with it. Then I saw another movie I never heard of called Waxwork. I guess this was the other cult movie Zach Galligan was known for from the 80s, but I never heard of it. I might seek out the Vestron Video Release bluray that included the sequel packaged together.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 10-21-17 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-21-17, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I went to a horror triple feature at a local theater last night, I made it through two of the movies before going home. Tales from the Hood was a lot fun, I enjoyed all the stories. Even with the SJW bend it was so over the top and ridiculous I just had fun with it.
Old 10-21-17, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

So, what are some of the best Scream Factory releases for somebody just starting out? I like me lots'o'features
Old 10-21-17, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Their releases and features vary depending on the movie. I have

The Thing
Lifeforce
Day of the Dead
Cabin Fever(2016)
Teen Wolf
The Return of the Living Dead
Texas Chainshaw Massacre 2
The Halloween 10 disc Bluray set

Out of these handful of movie I have I would say The Thing is the best, Teen Wolf has a documentary thats 2.5 hours long. I have yet to watch Lifeforce. I bought it after watching Electric Boogaloo. I'm also pretty excited for the Silent Night Deadly Night release this December.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 10-21-17 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-21-17, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Re-watched Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 today; I think that's a film that exemplifies VHS era horror as much as anything else even if it's not distributed my Media Home Entertainment - it's amazing how good the artistic balance of oddball humor and gore is. I'll admit the VHS distributor theme day isn't my favorite because it's seems arbitrary who distributed a film.

House on Willow Street was really good.

First time viewing of I Drink Your Blood didn't impress me much, maybe it's one of those movies that hasn't aged well (...but The Omen is timeless).
Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
So, what are some of the best Scream Factory releases for somebody just starting out? I like me lots'o'features
I think some of the most essential Scream Factory releases are: Ginger Snaps, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, Return of the Living Dead, Evil Dead, Lady in White, The Thing... but there are a lot of good ones and that's easily overlooking some greats.
Old 10-21-17, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts

I received my prize pack from Hamilton Books yesterday. As I opened the box, I could have sworn I heard a chorus of angels sing out. Well, considering the contents, maybe they weren't really angels ... Anyway, I've taken it as a sign that I should catch up on some Scream Factory releases. I thought The Evictors was pretty good and did a pretty fair job evoking a particular era. I thought the lead actress in Deranged lived up to its name. And hey, that's Harry Reems! I'm dipping into the Slumber Party Massacre double feature now.

A huge thank you to Hamilton Books and Goldenwheels!

I also watched Nail Gun Massacre. I thought it was a fun watch. It seemed very self-aware in a delightfully cheesy way.

Last edited by clckworang; 10-21-17 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10-21-17, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Their releases and features vary depending on the movie. I have

The Thing
Lifeforce
Day of the Dead
Cabin Fever(2016)
Teen Wolf
The Return of the Living Dead
Texas Chainshaw Massacre 2
The Halloween 10 disc Bluray set

Out of these handful of movie I have I would say The Thing is the best, Teen Wolf has a documentary thats 2.5 hours long. I have yet to watch Lifeforce. I bought it after watching Electric Boogaloo. I'm also pretty excited for the Silent Night Deadly Night release this December.
Shout's The Thing! That is a such a package of beauty. I just don't know how Arrow is going to beat it.
Old 10-21-17, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

The Eureka Fright Night is a disk of beauty. It's been a long time since I've seen this one and it all felt pretty new. Finishing up the night with Shelley. Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 10-21-17, 10:46 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a good time with today's theme. There were five movies in my unwatched pile that qualified so I decided to watch them all and I don't think I could have come up with a better pile of cheese and sleaze if I tried. The two I liked best were The Curse (think "The Color Out of Space") and Psychomania (zombie bikers). I also enjoyed the other three just not quite as much. American Nightmare was a very sleazy serial killer story, Devil Times Five covered killer kids, and Demonoid followed a severed hand as it tried to find a good home. What a great way to spend a Saturday!
Old 10-21-17, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Demonoid is a blast. What a bizarre film.
Old 10-22-17, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope the rumors of James Woods retirement are not true. Jack Crow in Vampires, is one of the purest most masculine badasses ever put on film. I wish he would make another horror movie. I'm finishing the night with The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I think I prefer watching it at home over seeing it in theaters. I had one experience with a shadowcast and didn't really enjoy it to much. More annoyed by it than anything else.
Old 10-22-17, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A nearby theater was showing the restored Night of the Living Dead as well as Mario Bava's Blood and Black Lace so I decided to make it a double feature tonight. I've seen both movies many times but it was a blast seeing them on the big screen. Tuesday is a Texas Chainsaw Massacre double feature which I plan on seeing as well.

Horror movies are great.
Old 10-22-17, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched the first two Warlock movies this week. I always found Julian Sands to be terrifying as the Warlock. He's kind of like the Terminator of fantasy horror, unstoppable and willing to kill unceremoniously to achieve his mission. The Vestron Video collection comes with part three, which I've never seen. Does anybody know if it's worth watching?
Old 10-22-17, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts

As I was inputting the contents of the prize pack into my collection, I was reminded of something that I have noticed before. I'm sure other collectors here have noticed as well. Each Scream Factory release contains the numbers 666 because every Scream Factory title has a bar code that starts with 826663. It's just something I've always found amusing and very appropriate.
Old 10-22-17, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

I've always wondered why 976-EVIL of all things didn't capitalize on the 900 number hotline fad of the 80s/90s. Why wasn't there a 1-900-976-EVIL with a satanic Robert Picardo reading you your doomed horoscope for $2.00 the first minute and 45¢ each additional minute?

<iframe width="400" height="250" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UbSKrsj6K6M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> <iframe width="400" height="250" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pdQiSGb4Luw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="400" height="250" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WNAJhfT_dSc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> <iframe width="400" height="250" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OzT8xse_FHo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="400" height="250" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k4-ftZyb4rw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-22-17, 07:44 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

^ Are 900 numbers still a thing? Asking for a friend.
Old 10-22-17, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I watched the first two Warlock movies this week. I always found Julian Sands to be terrifying as the Warlock. He's kind of like the Terminator of fantasy horror, unstoppable and willing to kill unceremoniously to achieve his mission. The Vestron Video collection comes with part three, which I've never seen. Does anybody know if it's worth watching?
I thought it was pretty bad. It was very low budget and had a different guy playing the Warlock. I usually only watch The Armageddon if I watch any of them. I did like the first as well, but the third was a waste of time, IMO.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.