Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WillieMLF
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- Unknown if multi-use or if will work on 40% Off Items
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp ?? (III)

15% Single Item exp 11/6 2:59am ET -- if these are all used I can post some more.
New codes added below at least to make the bots and lurkers work a little harder. Used codes removed 3:30pm. New Codes added
Spoiler:

HAXMEZYU7FLZ6
GNLBSJZQGPR9P
X5Z8R8XWAKJP1
JD5P9RSPTEDS7
33S8AB64EUME8
T25JYEX4UAB24
LNTSFDZE8NYUA
FTA9M2GEUC1L3
5DWYS67A3RNKC
9WGF8LVSL5FVL
D8ECEK8SFWJDS
LN5726AE4DMT1
C3U1LKYGLZCX3
VUDRA2JC25KMK
8XS6GUTSXDS7S
QF467L793K3QP
RTGC3VZGZGDN7
UY2JAJ8EQTZT5
466K2XS75CPYL
JTWKS2PM3GNRK
MPJZ5TWBZM55L
1LCJA9G6DK13A
R2SYXPPPL9GS4
Y1D7UL6QEDS8S

Some possible upcoming codes
STACKED
YESANDYES
DAYMAKER
TAKEFIVE

"New Member" Welcome Coupons
Welcome coupons may be dead -- or at least the type that have been available for nearly a decade. The latest set now have what appears to be single use codes so these probably no longer will be generic/multiple use style.
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-17, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by hbsvb
The wait was finally over as I got out to see It in the theater today. I have to go on a slight rant here as I have been going to the theater more since I joined MoviePass. Why is it that there are always people around me who can't stay off their phones for 2 hours? Why do they want to pay $10 for a movie then not pay attention to it? Also, the theaters that I go to have had assigned seats for a few years now, but it still seems that at every show, people have to be asked to vacate seats that are not theirs. They have to know they are assigned seats as you have to pick your seat when you purchase your ticket.
You are going with the wrong crowd. For the last several years I have been going to the early bird matinees and the caliber of the audience is solid.
Old 10-01-17, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 13th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

According to Google, Texas Chain Saw Massacre is a fantasy/thriller. That's one way to describe it.

After that I started watching Djinn but it just put me to sleep instead. Kind of like the lady's baby, only I woke up again.
Old 10-01-17, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My work shirt for tomorrow

It predates the remake by almost 4 years, hence the old clown.
Old 10-01-17, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
After that I started watching Djinn but it just put me to sleep instead. Kind of like the lady's baby, only I woke up again.
Mick Garris said on his Postmortem podcast there's an alternate cut in existence from Tobe Hooper's personal collection that is [according to him] a "beautifully made film" that will probably never see the light of day. He definitely deserved to go out with a better last film.
Old 10-01-17, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Just finished up Attack the Block. Pretty fun movie. Just the something lighter I needed after an all-day Chainsaw Massacre marathon.

Last edited by MysterioMan007; 10-01-17 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-01-17, 09:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

It'd be cool if everyone added a link to their list in their sig.
Old 10-01-17, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Good idea. Added mine.

Starting up Invaders From Mars now to end Tobe Hooper day. Never seen this one before.
Old 10-01-17, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Done!

I watched two more movies today, both for the first time. First up, The Ghoul, a 30s flick with Boris Karloff as an Egyptologist who wants to use an ancient jewel to rise from the dead. There are lots of shady people who want the jewel, a couple of forgettable heirs, and a comic relief roommate. Standard, fun stuff.

Then I watched The Texas Chain Saw Massacre which was so frightening and surreal that I'll admit I had to turn on a lamp. Every year I try to watch a classic horror slasher since it's a genre outside of my comfort zone. I ended up enjoying it, especially the more surreal aspects and the oddly emotive masked killer. Also, as a vegetarian, I assume this is what happens when people eat meat for too long! (just kidding)
Old 10-01-17, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Sunday Night Trivia Question: Banner Edition + Bonus Giveaway

All you have to do is NAME 10 MOVIES USED IN THE BANNER. There's hundreds of images used, so plenty to choose from.

Easy access for the lazy:

Spoiler:

Hints:
1. A few images are from other sources other than film posters.
2. Some films have multiple images used (usually no more than two per film).
3. Some images have been slightly altered.
4. Occasionally foreign posters are used.
5. There's a few repeats from past banners.

Everyone that gets at least 10 correct answers will be entered into a drawing and Random.org will decide the outcome.

Submit your answers to me via PM or email (one entry per person).

You'll be playing for the very large HamiltonBook.com Prize Pack #1: Scream Factory Edition:

Spoiler:

One extremely lucky winner will receive (USA only):

The House Where Evil Dwell / Ghost Warrior
White of the Eye
Contamination .7
The Manster
Psycho (1998)
The Screaming Skull
The Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake
I Bury the Living
Invasion of the Bee Girls
Island of Terror
The Bat People
The Vampire
Species
Child's Play
Firestarter
Dementia
Windows
House on Willow Street
Dreadtime Stories
Slumber Party Massacre II & III
Poltergeist II
Poltergeist III
The Exorcist III
The Lawnmower Man
The Spell

Courtesy of...

The Bonus Giveaway

Name at least 1 of the 3 the films (from posters) used in the creation of this abomination from hell ...this mysterious she-creature where every second it lives is pure agony:

You're playing for a copy of Phenomena on Blu-ray:

Spoiler:

Courtesy of...

Random.org will determine the winner.

Contest is open until next Sunday's trivia question begins.

Good luck.

Old 10-01-17, 09:59 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I watched The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 and couldn't believe how long it took me to realize which character Bill Moseley was playing. After watching the film I definitely see where Rob Zombie got some of his characters and character traits for House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects. There are definite similarities but it doesn't make me like them less. I found this to be a fun film and more comical than scary. The female lead got on my nerves with all of her unnecessary screaming. It became a little ridiculous after she was screaming for 5 minutes...or at least it felt that long.
Old 10-01-17, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Done
Old 10-01-17, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

I am starting off with my first unwatched Scream Factory movie "The Return of the Living Dead". Its been a fun watch and have caught up on what was referenced in the The Simpsons Treehouse of Horrors #3.
Old 10-02-17, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

So far biggest surprise for me has been Sleep Tight (2011) which is a thriller but rewards patience and is pretty intense from checklist writer Jaume Balagueró (of Rec fame).
Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
My work shirt for tomorrow
Great shirt; you must have one laid back work environment.
Originally Posted by mrcellophane
My experiment to see mentally figure out if I would survive the movie is... disheartening! My survival rate isn't great... May need to find some psychological or G-rated horror so I can report making it out alive at least a few times!
It's not if you live or die, it's how much fun you have doing it. For example, I started C.H.U.D. and so far in the first 35 minutes (nothing has happened yet) I'm sure I'd live but also not sure I'd want to - just homeless people and sewer crawling.
Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
Starting up Invaders From Mars now to end Tobe Hooper day. Never seen this one before.
I tried to introduce my kids to Invaders from Mars today and my older daughter just screamed about how alien movies are boring and she'd rather use the tv to play Minecraft; blasphemy. Invaders from Mars is a winner.
Originally Posted by clckworang
Anyone seen Sadako? I'm always tempted to blind buy 3D titles, but I'd rather not get burned if the movie is really bad.
I own Sadako 3D, I can't comment on 3D effects and while I personally enjoyed the film I also remember realizing it wasn't an objectively good movie - I'm a sucker for cheap atmosphere but a lot of it came across as more hammy than eerie. If you're interested Fry's (or frys.com) has Sadako for cheaper at $6.99 but it's not worth much more.

Agggh... back to C.H.U.D...
Old 10-02-17, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Started off yesterday with the first couple of episodes of the new season of American Horror Story. Was worried it was going to be too crazy political, but it's actually rather fun and I think you can enjoy it regardless of your feelings about the past US election. Tribute to the writers if they manage to keep it that way. I don't think a Trump supporter would have blue hair, though. Everything I've read suggests that is a style of young liberals. I didn't keep up with season 6 of AHS, so it was nice to come back and find the current story line more captivating.

I next watched something I'd never seen by Tobe Hooper. It was the very last episode of NBC's Amazing Stories. That was Spielberg's anthology series which was contractually obligated to complete a two-season run on Sunday nights. Ratings were pretty bad, throughout and it didn't continue beyond that. The show is pretty mixed bag with some great episodes and many not-so-great ones, but lots of talented director names offering curiosities.

Hooper's episode was called "Miss Stardust" and was very bizarre. An intergalactic beauty pageant feature creatures that look like they should be performing in Mos Eisley."Weird Al" plays a guy named Cabbage Man, or something. Odd humor that also reminds me of Coneheads. I didn't care much for it, but I had to pay tribute to Hooper and wanted to see something new to me.

Started today with another good episode of AHS...now time to eat and consider what is next for marathon viewing.
Old 10-02-17, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Started with an all time favorite: Castle of the Walking Dead, with Christopher Lee, Karin Dior, and Lex Barker. My DVD is a crappy VHS rip and I still watch it every year. It's very PG at the end of the day but I consider it a classic.

Caught Full Moon of the Virgins after that. I was sitting there like, man, this movie is familiar. Then Rosalba Neri rose out of her crypt naked, dripping in blood, and I was like, OH, now I remember ( )....this is the Devil's Wedding Night! I've seen this already!

Damn you Euro-horror and your multiple titles!
Old 10-02-17, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Caught Full Moon of the Virgins after that. I was sitting there like, man, this movie is familiar. Then Rosalba Neri rose out of her crypt naked, dripping in blood, and I was like, OH, now I remember ( )....this is the Devil's Wedding Night! I've seen this already!

Damn you Euro-horror and your multiple titles!
That happened to me last year with a movie called "The Grim Reaper." I got all the way to the end and was like...wait a minute...oh hello, Antropophagus
Old 10-02-17, 08:14 AM

^ and ^^
That's one benefit of a poor memory. Every film I watch is new to me!
Old 10-02-17, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I just finished the audio commentary with Tobe Hooper and Gunnar Hanson for TCM 1974 and I have to say I found it quite disturbing when they laughed as Gunnar revealed that he intentionally and actually cut the finger of Marilyn Burns to feed her blood (while she's tied and gagged) since the blood prop wasn't working correctly. Ah, fun memories of on-set assault, H I L A R I O U S ...
Listened to a couple Tobe commentary tracks yesterday and he's a good listen, a nice mix of technical info and anecdotes, and the love of the craft shows through.

I've noticed that audio commentaries and making of documentaries tend to elevate my overall feelings for a film above my initial "blind" impressions. I guess that means I'm easily manipulated, but I'll go with empathetic.
Old 10-02-17, 09:19 AM

In the C.H.U.D. subset film thread Trevor asked about the ruling on counting multiple cuts of a movie.

Personally I don't understand why people can't rewatch the exact same cut of a movie as many times as they want and count it multiple. Is there a reason for this?
Old 10-02-17, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
In the C.H.U.D. subset film thread Trevor asked about the ruling on counting multiple cuts of a movie.

Personally I don't understand why people can't rewatch the exact same cut of a movie as many times as they want and count it multiple. Is there a reason for this?
You know, I never even questioned that. My guess would be diversity in viewing would encourage more discussion and participation.
Old 10-02-17, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by clckworang
You know, I never even questioned that. My guess would be diversity in viewing would encourage more discussion and participation.
That's a good answer.

Another good answer is that it would prevent the temptation of re-watching short films to bump up your numbers. This was perhaps more relevant during the Great Numbering Wars of 2007 and 2012.

But imagine watching a film at home one day this week, and then going to a theater with friends to see it late in the month. Seems kind of off to not be able to count it. But, even though I'm usually the liberal one in these matters, I favor the once only rule. Just trying to remember the ruling on alternate cuts. I know it comes up almost every year, but I can't find the official rule in the OP.

Speaking of the OP, I see your promise for a results thread Chad. Awesome!

Last edited by Trevor; 10-02-17 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-02-17, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

Would it be okay to count some of the Hallmark Channel "Fall Harvest" Season movies? I know they are not horror related movies, but those tv movies are set during the fall season.
Old 10-02-17, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I closed out yesterday by getting one of the subset films out of the way, Hobgoblins. I felt like something funny so broke out the MST3K episode. The set it cones in is out of print. I actually purchased it on eBay years ago. The disc wasn't in the best of condition and tended to get hung up on a couple of spots, but I'm happy to report it played flawlessly on my UHD player. No skips or stutters at all.

I had played with the idea of ordering the Blu-ray, but after revisiting the MST3K episode, I'm glad I didn't. I can't imagine trying to watch it on its own.

So, the good news is that I now have Hobgoblins behind me on the subset, and since the episode originally aired on Sci-fi, it qualifies for the Sci-fi anniversary spot on the checklist. The bad news is that I will now have to watch another of the lowest rated horror movies on imdb when that theme day comes around. It looks like another MST3K is in my future.

That's a good answer.

Another good answer is that it would prevent the temptation of re-watching short films to bump up your numbers. This was perhaps more relevant during the Great Numbering Wars of 2007 and 2012.

But imagine watching a film at home one day this week, and then going to a theater with friends to see it late in the month. Seems kind of off to not be able to count it. But, even though I'm usually the liberal one I these matters, I favor the once only rule. Just trying to remember the ruling on alternate cuts. I know it comes up almost every year, but I can't find the official rule in the OP.

Speaking of the OP, I see your promise for a results thread Chad. Awesome!
I thought runtime might have been a factor as well.

As for alternate cuts, my understanding always was just that they count. Aside from viewing with a commentary, I don't think watching the same movie has come up with me before.

I guess it's ultimately up to you whether the cuts are significantly different enough to count twice or if you just rely on the fact that they are supposed to be alternate cuts.
Old 10-02-17, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Would it be okay to count some of the Hallmark Channel "Fall Harvest" Season movies? I know they are not horror related movies, but those tv movies are set during the fall season.
I would use a wild card for movies that aren't especially horror or halloween related. We get 3 wild cards, I think.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-02-17 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-02-17, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my luck that Surfinhank would have the list above mine. My lists normally look crummy, but now it's going to look like I put zero effort into my list (which is untrue: I put in the minimum amount of effort). Still, there's no denying that Hank does good work (it's "siege," btw).

I began the challenge with Monsters in the Woods. Not an auspicious start to the month.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.