Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Hanna-Barbera Diamond Collection TV show re-release - many titles

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-17, 01:30 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Re: Hanna-Barbera Diamond Collection TV show re-release - many titles

Just so no one gets disappointed if they buy season 1 of The Smurfs (which I myself have not bought, and don't plan to buy)...

This is the most well known opening sequence, which is usually used for most episodes in syndication. However, during the original broadcast, this intro (a slightly longer version, actually) was only used during season 4:

This is the opening from the original broadcast of season 1. I'm guessing (but don't know for certain) that this is the version on the DVD for season 1:

Last edited by grundle; 07-31-17 at 01:38 AM.
Old 07-31-17, 01:52 AM
Banned

The 16 episodes being sold as season 3 of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!, are, in fact, the same 16 episodes as season 3 of The Scooby-Doo Show.

Meanwhile, the 16 episodes from season 1 of The Scooby-Doo Show are available on The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour set, which is being re-released on October 3.

Season 2 of The Scooby-Doo Show has never been released on DVD, although a few individual episodes have been released as bonus material on other sets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._You!_episodes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Show_episodes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sc.../Dynomutt_Hour

Last edited by grundle; 07-31-17 at 01:58 AM.
Old 07-31-17, 02:06 AM
Banned

Fantastic Four is the only part of Hanna–Barbera's World of Super Adventure that has never been released on DVD. I was born in 1971, so this is how I was introduced to these shows:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanna%...uper_Adventure

Hanna–Barbera's World of Super Adventure

Hanna–Barbera's World of Super Adventure is a 30-minute animated anthology wheel series produced by Hanna-Barbera which was broadcast in first-run syndication from 1980 to 1984.

The series was similar in scope to Hanna-Barbera's 1977–78 syndicated rerun anthology, Fred Flintstone and Friends. It was packaged together by Hanna-Barbera and featured a combination of the following seven Hanna-Barbera action-adventure Saturday morning cartoons that were originally broadcast by the various networks from 1966 to 1970:

Birdman and the Galaxy Trio
Fantastic Four
Frankenstein Jr. and The Impossibles
The Herculoids
Moby Dick and Mighty Mightor
Shazzan
Space Ghost and Dino Boy
Old 07-31-17, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by grundle
The 16 episodes being sold as season 3 of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!, are, in fact, the same 16 episodes as season 3 of The Scooby-Doo Show.

Meanwhile, the 16 episodes from season 1 of The Scooby-Doo Show are available on The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour set, which is being re-released on October 3.

Season 2 of The Scooby-Doo Show has never been released on DVD, although a few individual episodes have been released as bonus material on other sets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._You!_episodes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Show_episodes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sc.../Dynomutt_Hour
That's because the DVDs are released as they originally aired. The Scooby-Doo Show was a later re-packaging of reruns.
Old 07-31-17, 11:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by joltman
That's because the DVDs are released as they originally aired. The Scooby-Doo Show was a later re-packaging of reruns.
OK. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 07-31-17, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Is there any more useless contribution to a conversation than people saying they got the same titles at Big Lots in a one-time illegal sell-off many years ago?
It's nice reliving the greatest DVD bonanza of all time every once in a while.

I knew people that were driving several hours each way just to hit another Big Lots during that chaos.
Old 07-31-17, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was really looking forward to these releases. It's a shame about the quality (or lack thereof) of them. I think I'd rather hunt down the older releases.

Side note, I can't be the only one who was hoping that Warner would acquire the rights to release the rest of the Scooby-Doo Movies.
Old 07-31-17, 04:05 PM
Banned

Supposedly, this is the opening from the original broadcast of at least one episode of Scooby Doo Where Are You?, but it's not on the DVD.

Old 08-01-17, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Thinking now of ordering the last 2 seasons of the Flintstones I don't have while the original packaging is still available.
Old 08-01-17, 04:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rjh_54
I was really looking forward to these releases. It's a shame about the quality (or lack thereof) of them. I think I'd rather hunt down the older releases.
Probably better to do it sooner than later, as supplies are dwindling. I actually wrote to WB and said as much, that while I appreciate them keeping these titles in print, the major effect of releasing new sets with more compression and no extras will be a run on the old sets.

One upside is that WB's quality control today is much better so there's less chance of receiving a coaster.
Old 08-18-17, 08:08 PM

Hello there. I just made an account to post here because of what I am about to say.
I just got the complete "Yogi Bear" series from a local Walmart, and I will say this: Unless you are really strapped for cash, do not buy this edition.

Upon first glance, the front/back cover art is fantastic, and - although under a Boomerang streaming advert - the episode list looks nicely-made. (I have a hunch that it is a redesign of the old four-disc edition, and they pulled it off kind-of well - The text is very small, not bothering for any word wrapping, but the art is nicely positioned - Yogi and a pic-a-nic basket cover blank space on Disc 1's area, and Snagglepuss and Yakky cover a good chunk of the back. Ask any questions, and I will answer).

The discs, however, are stacked, the center lock being tougher than usual (with visible stress/wear marks around the very center of the discs), and with forest-green screened art on each clear disc (Yogi/Boo Boo on the first, Ranger Smith on the second, and Yakky Doodle on the third - No Snaggle love?). Just saying to say at this point, there was a small hair on the top disc as well. If you think this disc situation is a bad move, it's a relatively minor quibble compared what the next words I'm typing are.

Loading up any disc brings up a usual Warner Bros. logo, before openly and warmy greeting you with this:

(Image: http :// i.imgur .com/ rbTlQ9Q .png - Sorry about that.)

Ugh. So many questions. Besides the freshman-ish DVD menu (the subtitles menu looking slightly better for the layout alone), the episode text formatting is also laughable (Excess spaces, some hyphens removed ("Droop A Long Yogi", anyone?), the different parts of "Yogi's Birthday Party" being labeled as Title: P1, Title: P2, etc.).

There are zero bonus features on any disc, and any opening/closing bumpers has been removed, leaving only the individual segments (which I can assume are Digi-Boomerang-ready isolated segments stitched together). It just cuts to the opening "Yogi" title card, and returns to the menu after the ending Yakky segment is over. I've only previewed a few seconds of "Yogi's Birthday Party", but, if it's of any importance, it opens directly with the green curtain title-card and the announcer before going to the opening with Ranger Smith and the hanging letters.

Picture and audio quality, I'm guessing, are the exact same as before, and I don't think there's any cut content inside the episodes themselves (as a Japanese stereotype in "Major Operation" stayed in).

You're welcome for this verbose warning.

Last edited by Justadoo444; 08-18-17 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Better phrasing
Old 08-19-17, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

^FWIW the original Yogi Bear DVDs didn't have the open/close bumpers either. Neither did The Huckleberry Hound Show release. Just the individual cartoons in original order made up an "episode." IIRC that was a major complaint about those two sets. While I'd love to have those shows fully intact I'm happy enough to have the cartoons unedited (unlike Jonny Quest which received the "PC Police" treatment). At least those original releases have slightly better packaging. I very much dislike digipak cases but they're superior to stacking hub type cases every time.
Old 08-19-17, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Isn't there an issue with Magilla Gorilla missing bumpers and openings?

I don't have Hong Kong Fuey yet. Somehow I missed it when I was able to get all the rest at Big Lots
for 50 cents a piece ten years ago.
Old 08-26-17, 03:34 PM

Ah Big Lots. Back when they were illegal and relevant.

I once drove up from VA through MD over to WV and back to VA hitting all the Big Lots along the way. Good times.
Old 09-06-17, 12:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

While I do think that some the changes are cost cutting, most people are not buying these for extras. I don'tl like stacked discs, but at least they are not double sided. The original Scooby Doo season 3 set had a double sided disc. I happily bought the new one. I also like the standard DVD case (outside of the stacking,which the Scooby Doo season 3 set does not have).

I really didn't like the packaging of the old sets. The plastic cover was ridiculous to get on and off at times. I ultimately had to keep them off and it looks stupid and overall, they take up more space.
Old 09-07-17, 01:32 PM

I can guarantee that I hate stacked or overlapping single-sided discs more than anyone hates 2-sided discs.
Old 09-07-17, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I can guarantee that I hate stacked or overlapping single-sided discs more than anyone hates 2-sided discs.
I've been buying thin DVD cases from Amazon (100 for $20) just for this reason. I threw out the original packaging of Tales From the Darkside and Friday the 13th the TV show, rehoused the discs in thin cases, and printed out artwork for each case. I did the same thing with the TCM Greatest Classic Legends sets I bought at Big Lots, which have 4 discs stacked on one spindle.
Old 12-01-17, 05:13 PM

Does anybody have any updates on more of these sets? I thought we were supposed to get more this month but I can't seem to find anything (not too interested in these cheap re-releases, but moreso the new-to-DVD sets we were promised a while back)
Old 12-02-17, 08:38 PM

Haven't heard of any new titles, but gotta remind myself to get the remaining seasons of The Flintstones in the original packaging before they're gone.
Old 12-02-17, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Haven't heard of any new titles, but gotta remind myself to get the remaining seasons of The Flintstones in the original packaging before they're gone.
I've been dragging my feet with those too. I found original release of the first season last year in a thrift shop for $6 and haven't bought any since. I think after the holidays I'll finish up that collection, replace my S1 & S2 set of Scooby Doo, in addition to buying the other series I haven't gotten around to.
Old 12-04-17, 01:18 AM
Banned

Birdman & The Galaxy Trio: The Complete Series - December 5, 2017:

https://www.amazon.com/Birdman-Galax...ywords=birdman

Space Ghost & Dino Boy: The Complete Series: new 3 disc release, but no date specified:

https://www.amazon.com/Space-Ghost-D...rds=B0783Z4L8M
Old 12-06-17, 04:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by grundle
Birdman & The Galaxy Trio: The Complete Series - December 5, 2017:

https://www.amazon.com/Birdman-Galax...ywords=birdman

Space Ghost & Dino Boy: The Complete Series: new 3 disc release, but no date specified:

https://www.amazon.com/Space-Ghost-D...rds=B0783Z4L8M

That must have been an error on amazon's part, as it is now listed at amazon as having been released on December 5, 2017.

More info on both at:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bir...e-Series/23847

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Spa...e-Series/23848
Old 12-08-17, 08:56 PM

Got both of those cheap at Big Lots as well- on one hand the discs are overlapped which I hate, but at least they're 2-sided so you don't get stuck with FOUR overlapping discs instead of just 2. They were too lazy to put any printing on side 2 though.
Old 02-14-18, 06:35 PM

Has anyone picked up the Complete Series re-releases of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? or The Flintstones? They both seem to be packaged in standard-sized thick DVD cases. Looking at the packaging, The Flintstones seems to be barebones, while the Scooby-Doo set seems to have ported over all the bonus features from the original sets, which is weird considering the individual season set re-releases are barebones. Anyone know what's up with that?
Old 03-26-18, 05:04 PM

For those who are wondering - I bit and got the new Scooby-Doo Complete Series set. For $30 it seemed like a no-brainer. All bonus features remain intact, and disc contents (menus, etc) are idential to the original releases, so these aren't the Diamond discs. The only modification to the discs is that Season 3 is now spread across 3 discs. It's pretty much identical to the previous Complete Series set, only omitting the bonus disc (whose existence I only just found out about, otherwise I would've considered ordering that one).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.