DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

10th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-17, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: 10th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I watched LUCY (2014) on Fox on Demand and was dismayed to read the text at the beginning saying it was "edited for content." When the action scenes occurred, I could tell that there were pieces missing. Why would they do that?
Fox isn't like HBO or Showtime ... they won't show R-rated content unedited.
Old 07-11-17, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
Fun fact: The DVD for It Came From Beneath the Sea has an octopus printed on it-except there are 10 arms, not 8!
I'll see your Fun Fact and raise you one:

Harryhausen was only given enough money to animate six of the octopus' eight tentacles; two were eliminated on the final shooting miniature. Harryhausen jokingly named his giant octopus "the sixtopus."
Old 07-11-17, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched LUCY (2014) on Fox on Demand and was dismayed to read the text at the beginning saying it was "edited for content." When the action scenes occurred, I could tell that there were pieces missing. Why would they do that?
You pretty much answered that by stating it is Fox. They have perhaps the lowest regard for their catalog than any other studio. If it's a Fox release I always expect there to be issues. I'd actually be somewhat surprised if it was a WS image as they like to release almost everything from their catalog in 4x3 AR. I believe they take whatever transfer they have laying around because it might cost extra to make a new, proper, one.
Old 07-11-17, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I saw THE MAGIC SWORD back in 1962 with a Saturday matinee crowd of all the neighborhood kids. We all loved it and played games based on it for days afterwards. It had more gruesome parts than kids' movies normally had and that left a big (favorable) impression.
Fun memory! I originally saw it on Comedy Central in the MST3K format, but at the time, only the DVD of the actual movie existed. I picked it up and learned to like the movie for itself and not the commentary, though it is still my favorite MST3K movie. It's a B-movie, but it's fun to watch. The movie is even pretty creative with the 7 challenges even.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'll see your Fun Fact and raise you one:

Harryhausen was only given enough money to animate six of the octopus' eight tentacles; two were eliminated on the final shooting miniature. Harryhausen jokingly named his giant octopus "the sixtopus."
Ha! Next time I watch, I'll have to keep count. Maybe that's why there are 10 on the disc? The 2 he cut ended up there?
Old 07-11-17, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks to a price war between WM and Amazon I picked up The Herculoids for a super price (~$15!) making the MOD aspect less of an issue. It came in yesterday so I've been marathoning it. I have 3 episodes left. I've not seen this one since it stopped airing in the 60s and am enjoying it almost as much as I did back then!
Old 07-11-17, 06:22 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Speaking of Harryhausen, I just got that new Sinbad set today and am plunging in!
Old 07-11-17, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Old 07-11-17, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How would people like the addition of "Christmas in July" to the checklist next year? I was looking for something to catch my eye and saw all my Christmas films...most of which would qualify for Fantasy.
Old 07-12-17, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Works for me. Another "Should have thought of that long ago" additions.
Old 07-12-17, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Herculoids was great! My grandson came in while I was on the last couple of episodes and also enjoyed what he saw.

So... after the last episode I'm trying to decide what to watch next (I also got in a copy of It's About Time, a Sherwood Schwartz SF/Fantasy/Comedy from 1966) when I remembered S7 of Game of Thrones starts Sunday and I still hadn't watched my S6 set. I normally watch the series from the beginning before a new season starts but kept forgetting this time and there's absolutely no way I can watch 60 episodes before Sunday. So... I started S6 last night. It's the first time I've seen the episodes since they aired over a year ago so they're very fresh as I'd forgotten lots of little things.
Old 07-12-17, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I loved The Herculoids when growing up, and enjoyed it just as much when I caught a few episodes on the Saturday Morning Cartoons release a few years back. I missed any price drop on that Herculoids set. May have to keep my eye open for it again.
Old 07-12-17, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Lufthansa had free on-demand movies for my cross-Atlantic flight, so I watched Life, The LEGO Batman Movie, and Kong Skull Island. Life was intense and freaked me out quite a bit.

So... after the last episode I'm trying to decide what to watch next (I also got in a copy of It's About Time, a Sherwood Schwartz SF/Fantasy/Comedy from 1966) when I remembered S7 of Game of Thrones starts Sunday and I still hadn't watched my S6 set. I normally watch the series from the beginning before a new season starts but kept forgetting this time and there's absolutely no way I can watch 60 episodes before Sunday. So... I started S6 last night. It's the first time I've seen the episodes since they aired over a year ago so they're very fresh as I'd forgotten lots of little things.
I'm rewatching S6 as well (usually this happens for the action challenge, but the July airing works for this one).
Old 07-12-17, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Works for me. Another "Should have thought of that long ago" additions.

Originally Posted by davidh777
Lufthansa had free on-demand movies for my cross-Atlantic flight, so I watched Life, The LEGO Batman Movie, and Kong Skull Island. Life was intense and freaked me out quite a bit.
How was Kong?
Old 07-12-17, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Alright! Prizes are official! Thanks again to GoldenWheels and HamiltonBooks. GoldenWheels has also thrown in a little bonus to each prize package, so thank him again for his generosity!

Prize pack one: Sword and Sorcery Collection: Roger Corman's Cult Classics, Neverland and The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition

Prize pack two: The Ray Harryhausen Collectible Gift Set and The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition

Prize pack three: Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy, Tim Burton Film Favorites BR and The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Extended Edition
Old 07-12-17, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Works for me LJG, and great prizes. Very generous Goldenwheels.
Old 07-12-17, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I haven't had a lot of time for videos, but on the Warner Archive subscription service I've been watching the 1977 Logan's Run series that was cancelled after 13 episodes. Wow, is it cheesy, but in a fun, nostalgic way.
Old 07-12-17, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Thanks for the prizes, LJG and Goldenwheels/Hamilton!

Originally Posted by LJG765
How was Kong?
It was fine, I guess. There was a climactic battle that was the main point of interest to me. I'm not saying that every Kong movie has to repeat the beauty-and-the-beast theme, but that kind of personal angle seemed to be missing for me. Either that or I just didn't catch it.
Old 07-12-17, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I now own the first eleven Star Trek movies. I was browsing Google Play, and saw the bundle of the first ten original movies available on there.
Old 07-12-17, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If anyone has a Roku, Wednesday nights at 8 and 10 are Sci-fi Cinema on the Roku Channel, B-Movie TV.

I started watching Unsealed: Alien Files, on Netflix this afternoon. I used to watch it long ago, and was thinking about that show, so I did a search and saw it was still on Netflix. So I picked up where I left off, with an episode about the Vatican.
Old 07-12-17, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished the 1989 The Punisher movie, which is available on YouTube. I know it's not a very good version of the Punisher, but to me, it holds a special place in my heart, due to watching it during one of my favorite events in my life.
Old 07-13-17, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
It was fine, I guess. There was a climactic battle that was the main point of interest to me. I'm not saying that every Kong movie has to repeat the beauty-and-the-beast theme, but that kind of personal angle seemed to be missing for me. Either that or I just didn't catch it.
Good to know. Saw a couple previews and it looked...interesting. I like action flicks but I'm curious what they could do that was new with this one...

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I now own the first eleven Star Trek movies. I was browsing Google Play, and saw the bundle of the first ten original movies available on there.
Very fun. Sounds like a Trek marathon to me!
Old 07-13-17, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I broke open, so to speak, my Star Trek bundle from Google Play, and just finished the first movie. I know it is widely considered to be a lesser entry in the series, but I've always enjoyed it anyways.
Old 07-13-17, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I broke open, so to speak, my Star Trek bundle from Google Play, and just finished the first movie. I know it is widely considered to be a lesser entry in the series, but I've always enjoyed it anyways.
Gosh, I love Star Trek: The Motion Picture! It was my first exposure to the Star Trek universe. When I was twelve, my younger brother asked me to watch it on television, and I very reluctantly agreed. It was a late night weekend showing, and my brother fell asleep about half an hour into the movie, leaving me to be transfixed way into the night. I still remember how my imagination was sparked by the film.

I've been plugging along this month, trying to whittle down my unwatched pile and also utilize my Hulu and Netflix subscriptions. So far, the big standout is rewatching The Iron Giant, a film that I liked but never loved until this showing. I don't know if it has to do with our current political situation and world state feeling very tenuous or with the sudden uptick in Cold War-esque activity, but the film felt way more timely than it had previously.

The biggest disappointment has to be Ghost in the Shell which suffers from a terrible script which drags down the stunning visuals. I really wanted to enjoy the film, but it neither captured the nuance of the original or offered anything new or different.
Old 07-13-17, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
The biggest disappointment has to be Ghost in the Shell which suffers from a terrible script which drags down the stunning visuals. I really wanted to enjoy the film, but it neither captured the nuance of the original or offered anything new or different.
I'm so torn! On the one hand its ScarJo, but on the other its a crappy remake... What to do!?!?
Old 07-13-17, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
I'm so torn! On the one hand its ScarJo, but on the other its a crappy remake... What to do!?!?
I will say that it's not unwatchable, and it didn't piss me off - just disappointed me. As a fan of ScarJo, it's great to see her in the action scenes and she gives a good performance despite having to have asinine conversations with other characters. If you're not a huge devotee of the original, I would say give it a watch but go in with low expectations.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.