DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

10th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-17, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: 10th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by LJG765
Watched Jurassic Park: The Lost World tonight. It's definitely the least of the 4 movies, but it's not quite as bad as I remember. Jurassic Park III is always a fun watch if only for William H. Macy's mustache. May have to pop that one in too.
I'll be watching (rewatching the first 3) the series soon as I picked up a Lightning Deal on Prime Day with all 4 films on BR (~$20 - which is quite acceptable). I only own the first on DVD (it's the only one I can tolerate) and the last on BR (was a low enough price on BF) but haven't yet watched that latest film. I took my son to see the first one when it came out and had to suppress laughter as he was totally caught up in the film (he was 11 at the time). To me, it was just another lame story from Michael Crichton and highly derivative of "Westworld" (The movie - one he rewrote several times as a "new" story, changing only the way of getting to the main point - a theme park gone rogue/wrong). I like the visuals, but the story... let's just say it's lacking (like all the prior versions). I don't expect much from the 4th film, but we'll see.
Thinking Jeff Goldblum might be a good addition to the list next year as well. Thoughts?

Think I'll definitely have to pare down the actor's list or at least really change it up before it gets impossibly long for next year...
Goldblum would be a very good swap out person. I agree on the actor list needing a bit of paring, as do some of the others.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 07-18-17 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-18-17, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

A couple weeks ago, I bought Wolf's Rain off of the Xbox Store, as part of their month long anime sale. I had planned to save it for next month, but it just occurred to me to check IMDb. It actually is a sci fi anime, as it takes place in a post apocalyptic world, 200 years in the future. I haven't seen it since it used to be on Adult Swim, Saturday nights, many years ago.
Old 07-18-17, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If anyone is interested, I was browsing Netflix, and saw Rogue One was recently added. I'm surprised none of the other Star Wars movies are on there.
Old 07-18-17, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
If anyone is interested, I was browsing Netflix, and saw Rogue One was recently added. I'm surprised none of the other Star Wars movies are on there.
Nah, those movies are a license to print nerd money so why make them available for "free." It's more of a surprise that Rogue One is there, but I expect it's just because it's the newest movie and subject to new-release cycles.
Old 07-18-17, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'll be watching (rewatching the first 3) the series soon as I picked up a Lightning Deal on Prime Day with all 4 films on BR (~$20 - which is quite acceptable). I only own the first on DVD (it's the only one I can tolerate) and the last on BR (was a low enough price on BF) but haven't yet watched that latest film. I took my son to see the first one when it came out and had to suppress laughter as he was totally caught up in the film (he was 11 at the time). To me, it was just another lame story from Michael Crichton and highly derivative of "Westworld" (The movie - one he rewrote several times as a "new" story, changing only the way of getting to the main point - a theme park gone rogue/wrong). I like the visuals, but the story... let's just say it's lacking (like all the prior versions). I don't expect much from the 4th film, but we'll see.

Goldblum would be a very good swap out person. I agree on the actor list needing a bit of paring, as do some of the others.
Huh, I actually liked the book. I can see where you would be annoyed at the re-working of the story over and over again, though. I have never seen Westworld so it may also just be that-I don't have something to compare it to. Also, have you ever heard the theory that there really are just a few different stories out there? That most of literature is just a different takes on the basics? I find that if you look closely at any movie, you can see a lot of similarities between it and other movies/shows.

As to your other comment, I want to cut some of the actor list and maybe the sub-genre list as well. If I have enough time at the end of the month, which is totally coming up quickly here, I am going to rework it so it's ready to go with maybe one or two additions next year.

So, if anyone can think of changes they'd like made, please say them now!
Old 07-18-17, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just revisited a movie I hadn't seen in years, Dragon's World: A Fantasy Made Real. I bought it at Wal-Mart so many years ago, that I don't even remember when I bought it, and other than watching it a few times after I bought it, it just sat unwatched in my DVD cabinet. Tonight, I was thinking about it, so I dug it out. I loved it. In fact, I don't know why I quit watching it, unless maybe it was just having it for so long that I basically forgot about it. It's an Animal Planet show that is set up like a documentary that deals with examining a dragon carcass found in Romania, and through the examination, many facts are learned about how dragons lived.
Old 07-18-17, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Huh, I actually liked the book. I can see where you would be annoyed at the re-working of the story over and over again, though. I have never seen Westworld so it may also just be that-I don't have something to compare it to. Also, have you ever heard the theory that there really are just a few different stories out there? That most of literature is just a different takes on the basics? I find that if you look closely at any movie, you can see a lot of similarities between it and other movies/shows.
I, too, have read the novel and find it far superior to the movie, but that's not all that uncommon. His novel, The Andromeda Strain, was also much better than the film. I don't think Westworld was ever a book or short story - just the film. It's essentially Jurassic Park in a different setting.

The premise is there's a new theme park with areas based on the old west, medieval times, and ancient Rome. You book time and can visit the west as it used to be, complete with gunfights/shootouts. There are androids programmed to do gunfights with guests using weapons designed to not be able to hurt humans. But things go wrong and the guns can now kill humans. The "bad" knights in Medieval World can now skewer guests with their swords, etc. The technicians try to shut things down but get trapped in the control center, helpless to prevent the killings. Sound familiar? A few years later it was reworked to make Futureworld, a direct sequel to Westworld, although reportedly without Crichton's participation, but the story is essentially the same. I didn't care for either of those films which is why I didn't much care for Jurassic Park. It's just too similar.

Yes, I've heard that theory. It's generally true but the proof is in the pudding, so to speak. Things can have the same base essentials and resolution but also be very different in how they get there. Those three films are pretty much derived from the same detailed outline and, IMHO, are essentially "formula" films designed with practically identical, and very deliberate, steps getting from start to finish.
Old 07-18-17, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks to your description of The Magic Sword, LJG, I decided to watch the Rifftrax version on Amazon Prime. I'm ignoring the commentary, and watching the movie for it's own merits, and I have to say, I am enjoying it so far.
Old 07-19-17, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

I, too, have read the novel and find it far superior to the movie, but that's not all that uncommon. His novel, The Andromeda Strain, was also much better than the film. I don't think Westworld was ever a book or short story - just the film. It's essentially Jurassic Park in a different setting.

The premise is there's a new theme park with areas based on the old west, medieval times, and ancient Rome. You book time and can visit the west as it used to be, complete with gunfights/shootouts. There are androids programmed to do gunfights with guests using weapons designed to not be able to hurt humans. But things go wrong and the guns can now kill humans. The "bad" knights in Medieval World can now skewer guests with their swords, etc. The technicians try to shut things down but get trapped in the control center, helpless to prevent the killings. Sound familiar? A few years later it was reworked to make Futureworld, a direct sequel to Westworld, although reportedly without Crichton's participation, but the story is essentially the same. I didn't care for either of those films which is why I didn't much care for Jurassic Park. It's just too similar.

Yes, I've heard that theory. It's generally true but the proof is in the pudding, so to speak. Things can have the same base essentials and resolution but also be very different in how they get there. Those three films are pretty much derived from the same detailed outline and, IMHO, are essentially "formula" films designed with practically identical, and very deliberate, steps getting from start to finish.
I wasn't crazy about WESTWORLD when it came out, but I loved FUTUREWORLD. When JURASSIC PARK came out, my immediate thought was..."This is WESTWORLD, but with dinosaurs!" Not impressed. I really hated THE LOST WORLD and never saw another JURASSIC PARK sequel.
Old 07-19-17, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Apparently I am in the minority here. I actually enjoy the Jurassic Park movies. I have the first three in a box set, and access to Jurassic World, on Max GO. I plan to watch all four movies this month.
Old 07-19-17, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

A couple weeks ago, I bought Wolf's Rain off of the Xbox Store, as part of their month long anime sale. I had planned to save it for next month, but it just occurred to me to check IMDb. It actually is a sci fi anime, as it takes place in a post apocalyptic world, 200 years in the future. I haven't seen it since it used to be on Adult Swim, Saturday nights, many years ago.
That's one of my favorite television series. Compelling characters and a genuinely thought-provoking plot. I'm waiting for the BD set to go on sale. It's been such a long time since I watched the series that I may have to revisit it soon!
Old 07-19-17, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I wasn't crazy about WESTWORLD when it came out, but I loved FUTUREWORLD. When JURASSIC PARK came out, my immediate thought was..."This is WESTWORLD, but with dinosaurs!" Not impressed. I really hated THE LOST WORLD and never saw another JURASSIC PARK sequel.
I'm glad I'm not the only person who saw that direct connection! To date, you're the only one I've found! Everyone else gives me a blank stare or asks "The TV show?", which I've not watched due to my dislike for the original movie, this in spite of lrend (a coworker) constantly telling me I should give it a shot as it's "good."

I've almost purchased a copy of Westworld several times just to have it to loan to people so they can see what I'm talking about but my dislike for the film is enough that I can never pull the trigger.
Old 07-19-17, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

The astronauts in 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY use tablets that look a lot like iPads:

Old 07-19-17, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The astronauts in 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY use tablets that look a lot like iPads:

https://youtu.be/-3949GAIokg
Even before such devices were available I wondered why they were on "profile" mode rather than "landscape." It just didn't look "right" to me. I always thought of it as a TV screen that'd been cut off on the sides. I could see that orientation for videophones or reading but not the way they were using them - as portable TV units.
Old 07-19-17, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love Contact. I love it so much. That is all.
Old 07-19-17, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I'm (re)watching it tonight to combat also watching the new Power Rangers movie.
Old 07-19-17, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by popcorn
I'm (re)watching it tonight to combat also watching the new Power Rangers movie.
The difference in tone, quality, and ambition may give you whiplash! I found Power Rangers to be a fun, silly romp but haven't really thought about it much since watching it in the theater. Hope you enjoy it!
Old 07-19-17, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks to your description of The Magic Sword, LJG, I decided to watch the Rifftrax version on Amazon Prime. I'm ignoring the commentary, and watching the movie for it's own merits, and I have to say, I am enjoying it so far.
Glad to hear that! It's a fun one, I think.

You're making me curious about this! I'll have to see if my library has Westworld. I've always enjoyed the Jurassic Park movies for themselves (though the second is definitely the weakest). I totally agree that they definitely have a formula, but for me, it works. *shrugs* Now, if you were talking about Transformers movies? That I would hold up as a bad example of formulaic movies. The first one grabbed my attention, but the rest of them really are the same movie over and over again, just a few details changed.

The Lost World is truly the worst of the 3 original movies (and still the worse including the new one). Three is much better, but still not the greatest. It's worth watching, though, I think. It brings back Alan Grant which I appreciated. I also recommend Jurassic World. It is a lot more fast paced, but I've really grown to appreciate Chris Pratt in that type of role. Are they Oscar worthy? Nope, but they are fun popcorn movies!

Apparently I am in the minority here. I actually enjoy the Jurassic Park movies. I have the first three in a box set, and access to Jurassic World, on Max GO. I plan to watch all four movies this month.
I'm with you! I like them and will re-watch the first and third periodically. Like I mentioned, the 2nd is not my favorite-think it's the Ingen parts. I am not a fan of huge corporations but even I think their ignorance is a little too over the top. Most companies, even big ones, would be worried about the gigantic lawsuits waiting to happen over the deaths and the injuries/deaths that haven't happened yet when they bring the T-Rex to the mainland.
Old 07-19-17, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Looks like some new Netflix releases I'm just noticing qualify for the challenge. Anyone recommend any of the following:

They Call Me Jeeg (Italian superhero)
The Truth is in the Stars (Star Trek doc with Shatner)
Bokeh ("everyone vanishes" story in Iceland)
Extraordinary: the Stan Romanek Story (alien abduction doc)
Here Alone (post apocalyptic horror)
The Void (80s style horror/sci-fi)
American Fable (sounds like a farm-based fantasy)

Last edited by brainee; 07-19-17 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-20-17, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watched Star Wars: The Force Awakens tonight and realized I never thought about adding Carrie Fisher to the "He's Dead, Jim" list this year. D'oh!
Old 07-20-17, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Watched Star Wars: The Force Awakens tonight and realized I never thought about adding Carrie Fisher to the "He's Dead, Jim" list this year. D'oh!
To be fair, it's not like she has a huge catalog.

Originally Posted by brainee
Looks like some new Netflix releases I'm just noticing qualify for the challenge. Anyone recommend any of the following:

Old 07-20-17, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
To be fair, it's not like she has a huge catalog.
True, but what there is of it, it is pretty important to the Sci-fi genre! I wouldn't want to make her a permanent part of the list because of that, but I think this year would have been appropriate.
Old 07-20-17, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just used my final Wild Card, by watching a documentary on Encore On Demand about midnight movies, called Midnight Movies: From The Margin To The Mainstream. It didn't cover just Sci-Fi films, so I didn't think it was right without a wild card, but it gave two sci-fi films a lot of coverage, Night Of The Living Dead, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show. It was also what I watched in order to honor the great George Romero.
Old 07-20-17, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

You are definitely NOT alone! My family was raised on the original Jurassic Park trilogy movies and watch any and all of them every chance we get.

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Me too!
Old 07-20-17, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee

I recently watched The Truth is in the Stars. It was decent enough of a sci-fi documentary... more science than fiction, despite starring Shatner.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.