Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: caligulathegod
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016


The following have unknown expiration -- these are old coupon that has been active online for months Please let me know if it's active
15% Off One Item A
15% Off B
15% Off C


ONLINE CODES
25% off single item
None

20% Off Online Single Item
UM2JEPTJDFNG4 - exp 6/19 2:59am ET


15% off One Item Online -- All Customers -- re-usable online. Unknown Expiration
9DAWJ1Z88Z134
NKMMWDZJXAE73
VP5ZZ6QN15VUU
UKTSTGZRDURTL
SLDJ4YKZSZKPA
SQ63RKJ3FTF48
N1BBG1DNGW6AF
3DFK58XQZ9AC4
9FBB4LT8D32KS
CN2QAS5VJSQ54
DEXWXAT2199K1
EASTWGZS8XJP4
QR59YQMGEANX8


MOREISMORE
10% off $35 or more, 15% off $60 or more
valid from May 15, 2017 at 12:01am to May 18, 2017 at 2:59am Eastern Time



"New Member" Welcome Coupons ONLINE ONLY EXPIRES February 27, 2016 2:59am ET
Looking for a new member who got these via Joining Email

"New Member" Printable In-Store Member Only Coupons Expires end of business February 26, 2017
Print Wikipost

Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

Old 06-01-17, 09:50 AM
  #51  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Cardsfan111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 18,524
Likes: 0
Received 386 Likes on 243 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

Gave Parkland a first-time watch this morning. Thought it was well done, giving a new perspective (to me) on the JFK assassination.
Old 06-01-17, 07:22 PM
  #52  
Senior Member
 
numbercrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: new orleans
Posts: 836
Likes: 0
Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

I started the Hollow Crown British TV Show starting with Richard the 2nd. Pretty compelling stuff. i recommend it
Old 06-02-17, 07:40 AM
  #53  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,670
Received 290 Likes on 224 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

On TCM tonight at 6:30 PM (EST) is Anthony Mann's THE TALL TARGET (1951), about a New York City policeman who gets wind of a conspiracy by military men and industrialists to send a team of riflemen to Washington to assassinate President-elect Abraham Lincoln in 1861. The cop leaves his post and boards a train traveling from New York to Washington to root out the suspects. (Does the assassination plot sound familiar?). Dick Powell plays the cop, whose name is--get this--John Kennedy!
Old 06-02-17, 01:42 PM
  #54  
DVD Talk Legend
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,524
Received 684 Likes on 492 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
I started the Hollow Crown British TV Show starting with Richard the 2nd. Pretty compelling stuff. i recommend it
Oooo... I picked that one up a few months back and totally forgot about it! I may have to dig it out for the weekend. Thanks!
Old 06-02-17, 07:09 PM
  #55  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,392
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

I just finished a very interesting episode of Copycat Killers, on Reelz, about a real life Jigsaw. It wasn't so much the topic that was interesting, though it was mildly interesting. What made it so interesting to me, was that it was a local murder case, that happened right in Erie, Pennsylvania. I still remember hearing all the news coverage about the Erie Collar Bomber when it happened.
Old 06-02-17, 08:47 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Millville, New Jersey
Posts: 3,038
Likes: 0
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

How about a few NFL highlight seasons from NFL Network.. 1968 Jets, 1971 Dolphins?
Would these be acceptable?
Old 06-03-17, 12:21 AM
  #57  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
Thread Starter
 
caligulathegod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Grove City OH
Posts: 3,857
Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

Originally Posted by JOE29
How about a few NFL highlight seasons from NFL Network.. 1968 Jets, 1971 Dolphins?
Would these be acceptable?
I would think so. We need to maybe limit them to the classic NFL Films to keep in the spirit of the challenge. Maybe at least 10 years old, perhaps? This can be a rolling 10 years, so it gets updated every year. This would allow up to the 2007 Patriots 16-0 regular season.
Old 06-03-17, 06:33 AM
  #58  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,891
Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

I'm notoriously loose in my Challenge rules following, but I've always used this month for watching any sports, mostly my Minnesota sports highlight dvds. (If they're Minnesota related highlights, they're at least 10 years old, sadly.)
Old 06-03-17, 02:53 PM
  #59  
Senior Member
 
numbercrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: new orleans
Posts: 836
Likes: 0
Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

checking out the french connection today. roy scheider has a much bigger role in this movie than i remembered. very good film
Old 06-03-17, 04:52 PM
  #60  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,670
Received 290 Likes on 224 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

Tomorrow, June 4th, will be the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Midway. There's at least one good Hollywood film about the battle, MIDWAY (1976), plus numerous documentaries. Plus, at least one good Japanese film, I BOMBED PEARL HARBOR (1960), which spends more time on Midway than anything else and accurately pinpoints the Japanese blunders which contributed to their defeat.
Old 06-03-17, 08:04 PM
  #61  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,392
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

I decided to start to revisit Ancient Aliens, since I hadn't watched any episodes in a long time, and the entire series is available on Sling TVs History Channel On Demand. I decided to start over with in my opinion, the best episodes, Season 1, so just finished the first episode.
Old 06-04-17, 07:59 AM
  #62  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
pacaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,219
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

Took the opportunity to cross another 2017 Oscar nominee off my list and watched Martin Scorsese's Silence. last night.
Old 06-04-17, 02:05 PM
  #63  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,765
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

Originally Posted by pacaway
Took the opportunity to cross another 2017 Oscar nominee off my list and watched Martin Scorsese's Silence. last night.
What did you think of it?
Old 06-04-17, 08:35 PM
  #64  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,392
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

I was browsing Crunchyroll, and saw that The Rose Of Versailles was on there, so I decided to sample the first episode. I have to say I was impressed, and I could see myself watching more episodes of that series, as I enjoyed it.
Old 06-05-17, 03:05 AM
  #65  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,392
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

I just saw a surprising movie on Laff. I never would have considered The Three Musketeers to be a comedy. I really enjoyed it, but I didn't consider it funny.
Old 06-05-17, 06:48 AM
  #66  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
pacaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,219
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

Originally Posted by pacaway
Took the opportunity to cross another 2017 Oscar nominee off my list and watched Martin Scorsese's Silence. last night.

Originally Posted by jacob_b
What did you think of it?
Very well done. A little heavy handed near the end, and you need to be ready for the gruesomeness of some of the torture scenes, but I definitely enjoyed it.
Old 06-05-17, 06:51 AM
  #67  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
pacaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,219
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

I know it doesn't count, but my wife and I went to see a live performance of Rock of Ages last night. Great depiction of the music scene on the Sunset Strip back in the late 80's. The movie is pretty good too. I might have to watch it again now!
Old 06-05-17, 01:38 PM
  #68  
DVD Talk Legend
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,524
Received 684 Likes on 492 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I just saw a surprising movie on Laff. I never would have considered The Three Musketeers to be a comedy. I really enjoyed it, but I didn't consider it funny.
Which version? There's one from 1939 which features The Ritz Brothers and tries to be more comedy than action/adventure. It fails simply because The Ritz Brothers just aren't that funny, at least not in that film.
Old 06-05-17, 01:39 PM
  #69  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,392
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

I got a late start to the Challenge today, but when I got home, I turned on the TV, and came across a Martin Scorsese film, called Shine A Light, on Epix 2. It was a very good rockumentary, about the Rolling Stones. It featured both the story of them, told through interviews, combined with concert footage.
Old 06-05-17, 02:25 PM
  #70  
DVD Talk Legend
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,524
Received 684 Likes on 492 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Tomorrow, June 4th, will be the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Midway. There's at least one good Hollywood film about the battle, MIDWAY (1976), plus numerous documentaries. Plus, at least one good Japanese film, I BOMBED PEARL HARBOR (1960), which spends more time on Midway than anything else and accurately pinpoints the Japanese blunders which contributed to their defeat.
I found a free streaming copy (somewhat unusual as it's on archive.org and I'm sure that's not a PD film) of Midway as your comment was too late for me to order a copy (I was surprised I didn't own a copy as I tend to like the ones based on actual battles/engagements). During the viewing I was also surprised to discover that I'd never seen it before.

I was glad I found the streaming copy as I was not very impressed with the film and don't need a copy in my library. It told the story fairly well but had, at least IMHO, some major faults.

The use of Paul Frees to do the voice over work for Toshirô Mifune took me totally out of the story every time he spoke. I love Frees' work but every time Mifune spoke I went into Rocky & Bullwinkle mode as Frees used the same voice he used as the narrator on the "Dudley Do-Right" segments, somewhat emulating/mimicking William Conrad. It really made it hard to take those segments seriously.

I also found the sub-plot with Capt. Garth (Heston), his son, and Japanese love interest somewhat forced and unnecessary. It drug things down every time any of them were on the screen dealing with that situation. I know such things happened during WWII but the inclusion of that story line diluted the main story and didn't add anything to the film.

The constant "Bogey at 3 o'clock!" commentary/warning/narration during dog-fights drove me to distraction. I was constantly wondering just where that plane with someone able to monitor the entire battle and throw out warnings was "parked." If it were to simulate chatter from pilots trying to help each other it failed as it was always the same frenetic voice.

There was more but I'll leave it alone. It just didn't work for me. But it did cause me to take out my unwatched copy of WWII in HD to give it a first viewing. I'm also rather unimpressed with what I've seen of that one so far but am currently 3 episodes in so hopefully it'll improve.
Old 06-05-17, 03:05 PM
  #71  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,392
Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Which version? There's one from 1939 which features The Ritz Brothers and tries to be more comedy than action/adventure. It fails simply because The Ritz Brothers just aren't that funny, at least not in that film.
The 1993 version, with Tim Curry as Cardinal Richilieu. Maybe they figured it as comedy because of one liners between the Musketeers, I don't know.
Old 06-05-17, 03:24 PM
  #72  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,670
Received 290 Likes on 224 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I found a free streaming copy (somewhat unusual as it's on archive.org and I'm sure that's not a PD film) of Midway as your comment was too late for me to order a copy (I was surprised I didn't own a copy as I tend to like the ones based on actual battles/engagements). During the viewing I was also surprised to discover that I'd never seen it before.

I was glad I found the streaming copy as I was not very impressed with the film and don't need a copy in my library. It told the story fairly well but had, at least IMHO, some major faults.

The use of Paul Frees to do the voice over work for Toshirô Mifune took me totally out of the story every time he spoke. I love Frees' work but every time Mifune spoke I went into Rocky & Bullwinkle mode as Frees used the same voice he used as the narrator on the "Dudley Do-Right" segments, somewhat emulating/mimicking William Conrad. It really made it hard to take those segments seriously.

I also found the sub-plot with Capt. Garth (Heston), his son, and Japanese love interest somewhat forced and unnecessary. It drug things down every time any of them were on the screen dealing with that situation. I know such things happened during WWII but the inclusion of that story line diluted the main story and didn't add anything to the film.

The constant "Bogey at 3 o'clock!" commentary/warning/narration during dog-fights drove me to distraction. I was constantly wondering just where that plane with someone able to monitor the entire battle and throw out warnings was "parked." If it were to simulate chatter from pilots trying to help each other it failed as it was always the same frenetic voice.

There was more but I'll leave it alone. It just didn't work for me. But it did cause me to take out my unwatched copy of WWII in HD to give it a first viewing. I'm also rather unimpressed with what I've seen of that one so far but am currently 3 episodes in so hopefully it'll improve.
I actually agree with your criticisms, esp. the use of Frees' voice for Mifune, which contrasted badly with the unaccented English of all the Japanese-American actors sharing the scene, e.g. Pat Morita and James Shigeta. But I liked the way the actual battle footage was integrated into the recreation. Also, it made a suitable complement to the Japanese film, I BOMBED PEARL HARBOR (1960) which, despite the title, focused mainly on Midway and the Japanese blunders that led to their defeat. I watched the films back-to-back for a previous Historical Challenge and it was fascinating to watch the same event portrayed by the two once-opposing sides and how closely their versions matched some 18 and 34 years after the actual battle.
Old 06-05-17, 03:48 PM
  #73  
DVD Talk Legend
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,524
Received 684 Likes on 492 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I actually agree with your criticisms, esp. the use of Frees' voice for Mifune, which contrasted badly with the unaccented English of all the Japanese-American actors sharing the scene, e.g. Pat Morita and James Shigeta. But I liked the way the actual battle footage was integrated into the recreation. Also, it made a suitable complement to the Japanese film, I BOMBED PEARL HARBOR (1960) which, despite the title, focused mainly on Midway and the Japanese blunders that led to their defeat. I watched the films back-to-back for a previous Historical Challenge and it was fascinating to watch the same event portrayed by the two once-opposing sides and how closely their versions matched some 18 and 34 years after the actual battle.
I agree about the battle footage. With only a few exceptions I thought it was integrated well - it was that added, and unnecessary, running commentary/warnings that I felt were distracting.

I'd like to see the Japanese film for that same contrast. I thought showing the blunders made by the Japanese commanders was good and the actors did a good job of showing that they felt they were making those blunders but were rather helpless to correct them. Whether or not that's how the real commanders felt I thought it added to the film. The sections where they kept changing the bombs to torpedoes and back and getting the returning fighters trapped on deck were very good.

I've seen that crash landing/breakup used in the scene where
Spoiler:

Capt. Garth crashed and died


in many war films. In reading some trivia about the film I discovered the pilot of that plane actually got himself out of the cockpit following the crash and walked away with just a few bruises. That's simply amazing!

Last edited by BobO'Link; 06-05-17 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-05-17, 07:57 PM
  #74  
DVD Talk Legend
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 10,524
Received 684 Likes on 492 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
...WWII in HD to give it a first viewing. I'm also rather unimpressed with what I've seen of that one so far but am currently 3 episodes in so hopefully it'll improve.
I've figured out what bothers me about this series. Well... actually several things.

I don't care for most of the music/soundtrack. It's rather generic tension building fodder that frequently doesn't fit what's on the screen. Many of the scenes with such music would play better without it.

They focus on a dozen or so participants. That's not bad. How how it's handled is. They'll spend 5-7 minutes with one, jump across the globe to the other combat theater, do a short recap, 5-7 minutes here, jump back to the other. Repeat. Lots of wasted time by telling us who we're watching again and getting back into where we left off.

Several of the participants they focus on were still alive at the time of filming and appear on screen. That's great - but they use voice actors to read a script of what those people said when location footage is shown and do a cross-fade, overlapping wording, to get back to the actual person in front of the camera. Why didn't they just use the audio from these people and dump the voice actors for those? It reduces their participation to the short screen time sections and lessens the impact. Really poorly done.

While there's some good, and occasionally interesting, information about areas of the two theaters which haven't received much attention before, the focus jumps around far too much. It's one of those productions that typifies the more recent ADHD leanings in History Channel productions.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 06-05-17 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-05-17, 09:53 PM
  #75  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
pacaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,219
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

Watched Ron Howard's The Beatles: Eight Days a Week - The Touring Years. Man, you think you know everything there is to know about the Beatles but this one shows that you never can! Stood up against segregation, toured until they were ready to drop, and made amazing music in between. Great doc!

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.