Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Proliferation of Bogus MOD DVDs on eBay?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-17, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

More and more I seem to see out-of-print DVD titles being sold on eBay as burned DVD-Rs under the guise of being studio-legal MODs (Movies on Demand).

I've Googled many of these titles and realized there are no studio-authorized versions of many of these titles that are being sold.

It seems there are a lot of unscrupulous vendors out there capitalizing on the MOD trend set forth by the studios who are selling legitimate burned DVD-Rs such as Warner Archives, Universal Vault Collection etc. I guess they are hoping no one can differentiate between the fakes and licensed titles.
Old 03-04-17, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Proliferation of Bogus MOD DVDs on eBay?

I've seen stores like Amoeba sell DVDs that have covers scanned from the VHS sleeves. They try to make them look legit by shrinkwrapping them, though I've never watched an actual disc.
Old 03-07-17, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by orangerunner
I guess they are hoping no one can differentiate between the fakes and licensed titles.
I encountered that once on Amazon when trying to buy a pressed copy of an Image Entertainment noir that had gone DVD-R. I may have even written about it here. The item that arrived had cover artwork which included the snap case closure in the design. In fact, it appeared to be Amazon's original product image, downloaded and printed! Some sellers are shameless. Obviously I returned it pretty quickly, unopened.
Old 03-09-17, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by thetao
I encountered that once on Amazon when trying to buy a pressed copy of an Image Entertainment noir that had gone DVD-R. I may have even written about it here. The item that arrived had cover artwork which included the snap case closure in the design. In fact, it appeared to be Amazon's original product image, downloaded and printed! Some sellers are shameless. Obviously I returned it pretty quickly, unopened.
It's getting pretty bad and they seem to be getting away with it. Usually eBay is pretty savvy when it comes to this.

The seller usually mentions that if you have a problem, contact ME personally, don't leave a negative feedback.

Surprisingly not a lot of buyers leave them negative feedback. When they do get negative feedback, the seller usually retorts "I gave them their money back, why the bad feedback?"

The same sellers often appear as different names etc.

Here's a prime example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Folks-DVD-To...cAAOSw2gxYrjKz
Old 03-09-17, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

After partially cleaning up their act, eBay has given up trying to police CD and DVD sellers in any large-scale manner. The site is rife with pirates and bootleggers. It's not as bad as it was ten years ago, but is much worse than it was 5-6 years ago.

It's hitting a lot of categories. The Chinese are knocking off toys, action figures, pretty much any American pop culture items that sell decently.
Old 03-09-17, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

That's why I liked it when they had those stickers over the top of the cases with the name of the movie printed on them. That made it easy to stop legit vs. copied discs, as the copies didn't have them.