Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

INSTORE CODES -- Click for printable
15% Off Single Item (A) Store Only Exp ??12/31/2017
15% Off Single Item (B) Store Only Exp ??12/31/2017

ONLINE CODES
20% Off Online Single Item
F7V8H7U exp Nov 1, 2016 2:59am ET

15% off One Item Online -- All Customers -- re-usable online. Unknown Expiration
9DAWJ1Z88Z134
NKMMWDZJXAE73
VP5ZZ6QN15VUU
UKTSTGZRDURTL
SLDJ4YKZSZKPA
SQ63RKJ3FTF48
N1BBG1DNGW6AF

5% Off Your Entire Purchase
BNINSURE05 June 20, 2016 at 12:01am to November 1, 2016 at 2:59am Eastern Time

$10 off $75 or more Purchase Online Only
BNOCT75 probably expires 10/15 2:59am ET.

Member Welcome Coupons EXPIRES October 24, 2016 2:59am ET
J9A3P8X $10 off $40+ "Home & Gift" Single Item EXP 10/24/2016
M3B4R7P $5 off $20+ Toy or Game Single Item EXP 10/24/2016
D9X8M7F $5 off $15+ Single Music CD/LP EXP 10/24/2016
H9H3R8P $5 off $50+ total Purchase EXP 10/24/2016
V3F3E9T $8 off $40+ single DVD/BD EXP 10/24/2016

Printable In-Store Member Only Coupons Expires end of business October 23, 2016
Free Latte with Cafe purchase exp 10/23/2016
In store $5 off $15 Single Music CD Exp 10/23/2016
In store $5 off $50 Transaction Exp 10/23/2016
In store $8 off $40 Single DVD/BD Exp 10/23/2016
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-16, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I was thinking for tomorrow's theme I would do a marathon of all four Species films. I've heard very bad things about the third and fourth films, but I bought the double feature BD during Scream's summer sale. Any compelling reason why I should change to a different game plan? As in, would this put a sour taste in my so far quite yummy and scrumptious challenge?

I've only seen the first one.
I won the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th movies on Blu for participating in the July Sci-Fi challenge. I watched the 2nd over the weekend (not bad) and will be tackling the next two soon. So I will join your pain Probably not tomorrow though ... my job has me not getting home until close to 10 pm (and I work the next day). You can tell me how good they are so I have something to look forward to for the weekend
Old 10-04-16, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 12th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by ororama
I got it from the library, expect to watch it some time this week.
Looking forward to your thoughts!

If anyone has seen Fright Night 2: New Blood (and sorry if you did), I really thought they should have cast Bruce Campbell as Peter Vincent. That whole time I could see Bruce playing this character.
Old 10-04-16, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

For tonight, I ended up watching Phenomena. I know it's Argento, but talk about a random movie.

And here was today's theme shirt:

Spoiler:

It glows in the dark, but I didn't try to photograph it that way.

It Came From Outer Space arrived in the mail today. I think I know what will be on tap for tomorrow's theme. It should be fun watching it in 3D.

Blood Diner and Chopping Mall also arrived. The October purchases are starting to pile up. I think it's time I started digging into that pile some more.
Old 10-04-16, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I took advantage of today's theme to watch some kaiju goodness. I just finished the final Showa era Godzilla film, Terror Of MechaGodzilla.
Old 10-04-16, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I took advantage of today's theme to watch some kaiju goodness. I just finished the final Showa era Godzilla film, Terror Of MechaGodzilla.
What about haunted castles and mansions made you think of Godzilla?
Old 10-04-16, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
What about haunted castles and mansions made you think of Godzilla?
It's past midnight for me. I'm in Eastern time, so I put the movie in right after midnight.

Just watched my first ever episode of Ash vs The Evil Dead, and loved it. I look forward to watching more episodes of the show.
Old 10-04-16, 01:40 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm playing a bit of catch-up, so here's some Multiquote Madness!

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Curiously what is 'wrong' with Netflix user ratings? It's hard to find anything horror with more than 2 star user ratings tops; even some of the better movies.
Originally Posted by Chad
Everything. It's the equivalent of getting reviews from the IMDB boards or YouTube comments section.
The ratings you see on Netflix are actually what Netflix believes you'll rate a movie based on your other ratings and viewings, and are exclusive to you. Now, as to whether Netflix is actually able to predict this... well... However, you can find the actual rating by checking out some third party sites like Instant Watcher.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Crimson Peak had a strong cast, beautiful set and cinematography, but was just sort of empty and stale story-wise. But I'll definitely watch it again someday.
I agree with this exactly. I felt like the ghost story was tacked on, and that
Spoiler:
the twist was made painfully obvious early on - so much so that I was surprised it was the film's twist (by the way, I'm usually never able to guess twists in movies!).
However, it was incredibly gorgeous, and I may have gone in expecting more of a horror movie than the "gothic romance" it was, as described by Del Toro. However, Stephen King did say the movie was terrifying, and I kind of wonder if we saw the same movie. I do want to give it another chance, as hopefully the right frame of mind will help.

Shout Factory ScreamShocktober sale is back!
www.screamshocktober.com
If today is anything to go by, these prices don't seem that appealing. I've bought many of these for much less, some even from past years of the Shocktober sale! However, if you're into the IFC B-movies, those are apparently some very good prices!

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Exempting Stand By Me, The Shawshank Redemption, and The Green Mile due to their non-horror status, as far as I'm concerned, we're left with Carrie (the first version, natch), all by itself. I'm not a fan of Kubrick, and I think that The Shining is a bloated mess. The Mist has its moments, but it's not a great film overall. Misery comes close, as the performances are great, but the plot isn't very memorable. I am loathe to admit that I've never seen Cujo and The Dead Zone--I really need to remedy that soon.

So, yeah. Just De Palma's Carrie, as far as I'm concerned (at least for the moment).
I definitely agree about Carrie! Easily the best King adaptation, and probably my favorite DePalma movie. Well, I mean, The Shining is better, to me, but as others have said, not much of King's work is in there.

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
Funny, i am watching that arrow release as well. I have it on the italian track with english subtitles. Seems fine to me. The transfer is pristine too BTW
I'm incredibly excited to watch The Night Evelyn Rose from the Grave on BD! I received the Something Weird DVD as a prize after really taking part in the challenge for the first time (I had mostly lurked before, and wasn't able to watch too much). It'll be great to see it in pristine condition. But, if it wasn't for this challenge, I don't know that I would have ever even heard of it!

Unfortunately, didn't get anything in today... between work and moving into this new place, time has not been on my side, despite really only wanting to watch movies all day. Hopefully soon!
Old 10-04-16, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I'm a huge fan of Crimson Peak and hope to watch my new, shiny BD this evening! I can see why the story doesn't grab some people or is too familiar, but I found it very effective. It reminds me of the ghost stories of Edith Wharton and Henry James: Gothic yet very literary. It captures the feeling of those stories in much the same way The Innocents does, only with the ghosts made more explicit and contemporary.
Originally Posted by cwileyy
The ratings you see on Netflix are actually what Netflix believes you'll rate a movie based on your other ratings and viewings, and are exclusive to you. Now, as to whether Netflix is actually able to predict this... well... However, you can find the actual rating by checking out some third party sites like Instant Watcher.
Spoiler:
the twist was made painfully obvious early on - so much so that I was surprised it was the film's twist (by the way, I'm usually never able to guess twists in movies!).
However, it was incredibly gorgeous, and I may have gone in expecting more of a horror movie than the "gothic romance" it was, as described by Del Toro. However, Stephen King did say the movie was terrifying, and I kind of wonder if we saw the same movie. I do want to give it another chance, as hopefully the right frame of mind will help.
I'm glad you clarified the Netflix rating system. I was going to point that out too. It's based on how you've rated previous films and what your viewing habits are. I've found their predictions to be not too bad actually, but I like bad movies, so...

As for Crimson Peak goes, the problem was that it was MARKETED as a scary horror movie, and that just wasn't the case. It is exactly as you described, a gothic romance. That's not what I, or most people who saw the advertising, went in for. It was a bait and switch. But it was definitely beautiful. I would buy it if they had released it in 3D Blu-ray.
Old 10-04-16, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I know that Jaws 3-D is a terrible movie (good thing I like terrible movies), but I didn't remember how beautiful it is in 3D until I watched the new Blu-ray. Don't get me wrong, the 3D special effects are terrible, but just the 3D of the movie itself looks extremely good. You don't have to watch too much of it to see what I mean either. The waterskiing show during the beginning of the film looks fantastic.
Old 10-04-16, 08:04 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
I know that Jaws 3-D is a terrible movie (good thing I like terrible movies), but I didn't remember how beautiful it is in 3D until I watched the new Blu-ray. Don't get me wrong, the 3D special effects are terrible, but just the 3D of the movie itself looks extremely good. You don't have to watch too much of it to see what I mean either. The waterskiing show during the beginning of the film looks fantastic.
That's great to hear. Looking forward to that on Shark Day.
Old 10-04-16, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Watched the remake of The Amityville Horror (2005). It is so disappointing because they could have fixed the problems in the first one and made an even better, more spooky movie if they had based it more on the book. Instead they just went for a lame jump scare every two minutes (seriously...I don't know if there is any other movie with more jump scares) and editing stolen from movies like The Grudge and The Ring which were popular at the time. Add in a bunch of nonsensical business with the ghost Jodie and you have a shitty horror film with good production values.

Plus you are missing the most spooky thing about the original...the movie score by Lalo Schifrin. I swear that score gives me chillbumps just thinking about it.

Also watched It Came From Outer Space in 3D last night. The good news is that the transfer is fantastic. It looks spectacular and the 3D has great depth throughout. The bad is that the 3D really isn't used much more than added depth (which again looks great) and there aren't more than a few "3D money shots." Also the story is weak. Not much fun or action to be had in this one. But it is still worth checking out, especially since it is only $7.99 at Best Buy right now.
Old 10-04-16, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Well I'm not ashamed to admit I now covet your box set with bonus that I didn't even know existed. But if you're in for the marathon too then I'll dive into it and we'll see how we do coming out the other side.
Just pulled out my horror binder So-Sr with all my Species discs. Yep, four different discs of the original film. Each with unique special features, so I can't replace the old ones of course!

I can't find the older boxset on Amazon, there are multiple other Species collections now. But the old one had separate discs of the first three films, and then this fourth disc:
And there's a 4th/bonus disc not mentioned (as of 09/20/05) in Amazon's summary:
Bonus Disc:
- The Origin featurette
- The Concept featurette
- The Discovery featurette
- Designing a Hybrid featurette
- HR Giger At Work featurette
- Species II: Eve of Destruction featurette
- Species III: Genesis featurette
- Species Alternate Ending
Old 10-04-16, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by clckworang
Going back to thread one and Stephen King discussion, I don't know how it compares to the book, but I've always been a big fan of The Dead Zone. You've got David Cronenberg directing and Christopher Walken giving a really strong performance. I also thought Martin Sheen was really good. For those who haven't seen it, I would definitely recommend it.
I enjoy both the film and the TV series, at least the first few seasons.
Good idea, I'll try to get in some Final Wars today.
Old 10-04-16, 10:06 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

my day 3 summary:

Old 10-04-16, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Crimson Peak had a strong cast, beautiful set and cinematography, but was just sort of empty and stale story-wise. But I'll definitely watch it again someday.
I watched it last night and hope to never see it again.
Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I think if they did the same story, but in an ordinary looking mansion, the film wouldn't be that appealing. It's the awesome house that makes the movie worth watching.
I didn't think the house was that good, especially considering it's not even seen until almost half way through. It has some interesting places but overall it was wasted on a very average story.
Spoiler:
Absolutely... a twist that wasn't. So... King said it was terrifying. Maybe *that's* why I don't much care for his novels or films based on them. We have different ideas of horror. I don't think a different frame of mind would help my opinion. It was a average gothic romance/drama/murder mystery story with some ghosts tacked on for "atmosphere."

As for Crimson Peak goes, the problem was that it was MARKETED as a scary horror movie, and that just wasn't the case. It is exactly as you described, a gothic romance. That's not what I, or most people who saw the advertising, went in for. It was a bait and switch. But it was definitely beautiful. I would buy it if they had released it in 3D Blu-ray.
Yep... bait 'n switch to the max! I started my viewing at ~8pm and was surprised I didn't fall asleep on it! It *does* have some good cinematography, set design, lighting, music, acting, but not much of a story. I was *very* disappointed in this one.
Old 10-04-16, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

It's past midnight for me. I'm in Eastern time, so I put the movie in right after midnight.
Well that makes much more sense! hahaha
Old 10-04-16, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Last night, I watched Crimson Peak for the third time and was very satisfied with the BD. While this may be premature to say since the film only came out last year, it's one of my favorite films, especially recent films. I try to stay away from trailers and marketing when I can, so I went into the film knowing the director, the cast, and a bit about the film's aesthetic. I was delighted that it was a Gothic Romance; no one makes those anymore!

I commented yesterday that I understand some of the criticisms of the film, but after seeing it again, I think that the story is actually quite rich. Sure, it's a bit heavy-handed (you see, the ghost is a metaphor), but it's drawing on a genre that isn't known for subtlety. The main trio of characters are types, but they are fleshed out by nuanced performances. The "twists" can be guessed before they are revealed, but that seems the point. We as the audience know how twisted and damaged other people can be, but the characters living in the moment refuse to see or believe until things are made explicit.

A lot of Gothic literature is about the breakdowns in society and individuals due to anxieties about the world both changing and remaining stagnant. Del Toro expertly mines these anxieties and heightens them for his characters. They are so tied to this decaying house that it's difficult to see where one ends and the other begins. He brings in aspects of industrialization and American decadence and elitism that are pushing their way to prominence. There's a lot to unpack in his ghost story!

If the film had done well, I think it would have been interesting to see a sequel about the house set in more modern times.
Old 10-04-16, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm really enjoying the videos that are being posted! You guys have impressive shirts. I would love to be videos breakdowns, but I'm not great with technology... also I don't have cool horror shirts!
Old 10-04-16, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Well that makes much more sense! hahaha
I play fast and loose with my tracking days for theme purposes. Those hours from midnight until dawn might be used for binging on the (technically) previous day's theme, or I might start at midnight for the next day's theme. So a day on my list could conceivably be as few 12 hours or as many as 36.
Old 10-04-16, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Looking forward to your thoughts!

If anyone has seen Fright Night 2: New Blood (and sorry if you did), I really thought they should have cast Bruce Campbell as Peter Vincent. That whole time I could see Bruce playing this character.
I watched this on Netflix this past Sunday. And yeah, it was bad. But I do agree with you about Bruce Campbell. Would have helped as that was the worst Peter Vincent the franchise has seen.
Old 10-04-16, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I play fast and loose with my tracking days for theme purposes. Those hours from midnight until dawn might be used for binging on the (technically) previous day's theme, or I might start at midnight for the next day's theme. So a day on my list could conceivably be as few 12 hours or as many as 36.
I am similar, although I usually lean toward the dawn rule that we use for Halloween.

Originally Posted by exharrison
I watched this on Netflix this past Sunday. And yeah, it was bad. But I do agree with you about Bruce Campbell. Would have helped as that was the worst Peter Vincent the franchise has seen.
I have a friend who loves the sequel, even saying he prefers it to the original. Needless to say, I don't put much stock in his opinions on movies.
Old 10-04-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

I like Fulci, so every couple of years I try to like House by the Cemetery.

I guess I'm watching it again in 2018, cuz I don' like it this time either.
Old 10-04-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I am similar, although I usually lean toward the dawn rule that we use for Halloween.

I have a friend who loves the sequel, even saying he prefers it to the original. Needless to say, I don't put much stock in his opinions on movies.
Which sequel? We're talking about the sequel to the remake. That sounds like your friend might like the sequel to the original 80s flick. I've heard that opinion a number of times. I watched them both just before October for reviews and address that opinion in my review of the second.
Old 10-04-16, 02:00 PM

What was that? A prize entry docked for everyone who bumps the old thread starting now? I'll second that.
Old 10-04-16, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
I like Fulci, so every couple of years I try to like House by the Cemetery.

I guess I'm watching it again in 2018, cuz I don' like it this time either.
According to my lists I watched that one October 19th, 2011 and gave it 3/5 stars. So I guess I sort of liked it? I don't recall much about it but that *was* the year I watched 159 movies and completed the checklist and theme nights. Much of that month is a blur...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.