Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Challenge Proposal: Adding a 13th?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: Should we add another Challenge?
Thank you sir, may I have another
43.24%
Just say no
51.35%
Twikoff
5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-16, 01:38 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

We are considering adding another Challenge. While we cover most genres in our existing 12 and a quarter Challenges, a few are not fully represented.

Here is the current schedule:
DVDTalk Challenge Schedule

Month
Month-long Challenge
Partial Month Challenge
JanuaryTVvarying Academy Award
Februarynonevarying Academy Award; quadrennial Leap Day
MarchAction/Adventure/Crime/Mysteryvarying Academy Award
AprilDrive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie/Cultnone
MayMake-Your-Ownnone
JuneHistorical Appreciationnone
JulySci-Fi/Fantasynone
AugustAnimationnone
SeptemberCriterionnone
OctoberHorrornone
NovemberComedyHoliday starts week of Thanksgiving
DecemberHolidaynone

The possible addition would probably be Drama, with the possible substitution/inclusions of Romance and/or Musical. We want to tackle the issue in steps, so step one is whether we want to add another Challenge or not. We're not voting yet on what to add or when to add it, but just whether or not we even want another Challenge. If we decide we have enough interest in another, we'll later hammer out the details as to what genre(s) and when.
Old 09-11-16, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Challenge Proposal: Adding a 13th?

I remember having almost exactly this same debate not that long ago....

Conclusion then was "no," was it not?
Old 09-11-16, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I vote no because one new challenge request made a bunch of people insane.
Old 09-11-16, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
I remember having almost exactly this same debate not that long ago....

Conclusion then was "no," was it not?
For drama, yes, we decided against it.

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Please don't take it personally, Golden. Adding a new challenge to a full schedule warrants some discussion.

I voted yes just to keep the conversation going.
Old 09-12-16, 08:48 AM

MP, you're confusing.

It was your request.

It might turn out exactly how you proposed it.

And the "insanity" is three or four people passionate about trying to make our community a better place. Are one or two of them confusing passionate debate with attacks and getting too personal in their retorts? Yes, but this is the Internet, it happens. We'll all calm down and soon enough.
Old 09-12-16, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777
For drama, yes, we decided against it.

Please don't take it personally, Golden. Adding a new challenge to a full schedule warrants some discussion.
I'm not taking it personally. I just think things got weird, especially yesterday, and if I was a brand new person here that suggested the challenge, I'd leave and not look back.

I'm not pissed off or anything and leaving the forum. I'm still here for some challenges.

Originally Posted by Trevor
It might turn out exactly how you proposed it.
While I see what you say, it doesn't really look like that from the comments from you and others.

I'm a member of another community that I've long since gone inactive at but they have a section for challenges. You have your regular monthly challenges like here but they also let people start threads for unofficial challenges. There's no overseeing committee like this place seems to have turned into, they just let people do it. If it becomes inactive, because some of them are ongoing challenges based on film lists containing 1,000 films or so, they push the thread to a challenge archive section along with the normal monthly ones that end.

Point being, there isn't a mentality that you have to do every challenge and nobody cares there's an official challenge going on with a few other unofficial challenges.

While we do have an unofficial one going on, it seems like it would upset some folks if someone made an unofficial challenge that lasted one month that they just decided to start up without asking. Just one day a new challenge thread pops up. That sort of thing.

On a somewhat related topic, any chance we could get the official compendium challenge posts updated?
Old 09-12-16, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

While we do have an unofficial one going on, it seems like it would upset some folks if someone made an unofficial challenge that lasted one month that they just decided to start up without asking. Just one day a new challenge thread pops up. That sort of thing.
Hmph... let 'em get upset. Why *can't* you have concurrent challenges, official or otherwise? Or is that the 500lb. gorilla in the corner?

If a new, "unofficial" challenge popped up and it was in a month with a "official" one I like I'd look at it, and if it sounded fun, either try to meld both or go full OCD and try both individually. But that's because I love watching movies and TV shows. While I have a few hands-down favorite genres my collection has a little of everything and I'm always looking for new excuses to watch something.

Like you commented about another site - if it's not a "hit" it'll go away. Otherwise there's something "different" for those who don't care for the "main" challenge.
Old 09-12-16, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I like how the vote is now 13-13, with one twikoff.
Old 09-12-16, 03:52 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Voted 'no' because "drama" seems too open ended and likely already encompassed in many of the other challenged. I was tempted to just not vote because I don't always participate in the challenges, but I think part of the problem is that there are perhaps too many challenges already - they start to seem frivilous. I say this with respect to challenge aficionados because I know a lot of people enjoy them.
Old 09-12-16, 04:17 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Voted 'no' because "drama" seems too open ended and likely already encompassed in many of the other challenged.
The vote isn't for a Drama challenge. It's whether to add another challenge. The details about the challenge (genre/time/length) would be decided later.
Old 09-12-16, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Hmph... let 'em get upset. Why *can't* you have concurrent challenges, official or otherwise? Or is that the 500lb. gorilla in the corner?

If a new, "unofficial" challenge popped up and it was in a month with a "official" one I like I'd look at it, and if it sounded fun, either try to meld both or go full OCD and try both individually. But that's because I love watching movies and TV shows. While I have a few hands-down favorite genres my collection has a little of everything and I'm always looking for new excuses to watch something.

Like you commented about another site - if it's not a "hit" it'll go away. Otherwise there's something "different" for those who don't care for the "main" challenge.
I'm tempted...
Old 09-12-16, 07:59 PM

I'm a member of another community that I've long since gone inactive at but they have a section for challenges. You have your regular monthly challenges like here but they also let people start threads for unofficial challenges. There's no overseeing committee like this place seems to have turned into, they just let people do it. If it becomes inactive, because some of them are ongoing challenges based on film lists containing 1,000 films or so, they push the thread to a challenge archive section along with the normal monthly ones that end.

Point being, there isn't a mentality that you have to do every challenge and nobody cares there's an official challenge going on with a few other unofficial challenges.

On a somewhat related topic, any chance we could get the official compendium challenge posts updated?
Last point first, yeah, I will try to do that this week. Although others are always welcome to help out in there, particularly those who might want to improve on my limited table skills.

And yes, I can see how maybe the whole process here is bothersome to some people. Nothing has ever been official, and there's nothing to stop anyone from even starting their own conflicting horror challenge with different rules.

Personally, I like the idea of some structure and restraints on them. I think the vote is proving that we have enough challenges already. Having more, particularly many more if we go to your other forum's method, seems like anarchy to me, but I'm a obviously biased.

And having just 12 for the 12 calendar months seems perfect (with our calendar quirk 13th Challenge for fun).

I like the sense that these Challenges are icons of the forum, bigger than me, or anyone. When I participate in one, particularly Horror, it's nice knowing that it was here before me, will be here after I'm gone, and will always be internally consistent and somewhat stable. We maintain the old threads and many of us keep all of our list history in our signature. I know there are much better ways to describe what I'm trying to say here. There's like a grandeur in having them being set in their months, continuing on year after year, their stats and data existing for future generations (on this forum dedicated to a dead media format I know I know, but I'm trying to get on a roll......).

And besides, to scratch that itch of individuals wanting something different from what we offer, and there being multiple 'unofficial' challenges, that's why we created the Make Your Own Challenge. And why I've always thought we should extend it to two different months a year.
Old 09-12-16, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

...and besides, to scratch that itch of individuals wanting something different from what we offer, and there being multiple 'unofficial' challenges, that's why we created the Make Your Own Challenge. And why I've always thought we should extend it to two different months a year.
Are you saying, if you had your way, there'd be TWO MYOC a year? Am I hearing that correctly?
Old 09-12-16, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by pacaway
Are you saying, if you had your way, there'd be TWO MYOC a year? Am I hearing that correctly?
I've said that many times, but I'd prefer at least one of them to be more structured. Like either set voted on themes for everyone, like months of Drama, Romance, and Musical rotating every three years, or three different themes for the month with individuals choosing one.

But that was before my whole Challenge thought process potentially changed very recently. More later, I'm still stewing on some things.
Old 09-13-16, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I've said that many times, but I'd prefer at least one of them to be more structured. Like either set voted on themes for everyone, like months of Drama, Romance, and Musical rotating every three years, or three different themes for the month with individuals choosing one.

But that was before my whole Challenge thought process potentially changed very recently. More later, I'm still stewing on some things.
I do like that idea though
Old 09-13-16, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by pacaway
I do like that idea though
Thanks!

To avoid the confusion of the same conversation happening in both threads, maybe we all should pretty much stop posting in this thread and keep everything in the Compendium thread? Or vice versa, I don't really care, but one place seems simpler and the bulk of the convo is in the Compendium thread I think.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/55...endium-21.html
Old 09-13-16, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

I vote no. I already dont like how some chalenges bleed into others, so adding another one will just make it more convoluted.
Old 09-13-16, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
The vote isn't for a Drama challenge. It's whether to add another challenge. The details about the challenge (genre/time/length) would be decided later.
Which is probably the wong question/order...
Old 09-13-16, 05:26 PM

I'm tempted...
If you do, please mention it in whatever month's thread so I will (have more likelihood to) notice.
Old 09-13-16, 05:56 PM

I'm always looking for new excuses to watch something.
This should be either a forum motto, a Challenge motto, or just a mantra to always consider when thinking about stuff.
Old 09-13-16, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks!

To avoid the confusion of the same conversation happening in both threads, maybe we all should pretty much stop posting in this thread and keep everything in the Compendium thread? Or vice versa, I don't really care, but one place seems simpler and the bulk of the convo is in the Compendium thread I think.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/55...endium-21.html
I'll start a new thread/pole and give it a week to see if we should switch to the old thread.

edit: Not trying to be mean, just a bit snarky. I had the most unbelievably dumb experience with work about an hour ago. It was almost an entire day of dumb events but the one after I left takes the cake and wins the award in all the time I've worked there (about a decade). It's one of those things that might make one question if they're secretly on their own Truman show.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 09-13-16 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by ntnon
Which is probably the wong question/order...
Where were you when I was asking how to do best poll it?
I'll start a new thread/pole and give it a week to see if we should switch to the old thread.
Old 09-14-16, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Why not a whole year challenge of one movie type?
Old 09-14-16, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Why not a whole year challenge of one movie type?
Are there enough Barney movies to last a year? Yes, I'm talking about the dinosaur.
Old 09-14-16, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Are there enough Barney movies to last a year? Yes, I'm talking about the dinosaur.
Seeing as how it came around when I was a young child and I'm 29 now, I am sure there are lol

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.