Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 8th Annual Criterion Collection Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-16, 12:28 AM

Received 516 Likes on 372 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Criterion Collection Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by LJG765
I can get 8 of the 10 from my local library and thought I could find the other 2 online, but am having trouble with finding Sid & Nancy. Can anyone confirm if Hulu has this one?
It's not on Hulu. I looked around for it and couldn't find it either. It's not on any streaming services.
Old 09-11-16, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
It's not on Hulu. I looked around for it and couldn't find it either. It's not on any streaming services.
Dang. I'm not sure why it's not streaming yet. The blu (not Criterion) is only about $15 on Amazon, so it's not like it's OOP. :/ I may try to special order it through the library as I doubt it's something I really want to buy. Dang it. I was really hoping to finish that top 10.

Ooh, I just found it. Changed my google search around. Never heard of the site before, but it seems to be the full movie...
Old 09-11-16, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Late last night, I finally knocked off another Criterion "biggie": Salesman. From my Letterboxd diary:

SPOILER ALERT FOR ANYONE READING EMAIL (AND WHO WORRIES ABOUT SPOILERS IN A DOCUMENTARY)
Spoiler:
As with the last five movies I've watched, Salesman was selected because it's on Steve Buscemi's Top 10 list of films in The Criterion Collection. It's also been on my watchlist for several years now, though more for its reputation than for its subject matter. That's the neat thing about documentaries; how interesting they are has far less to do with their subject material and far more to do with the documentarian(s) crafting them.

For instance, I recently watched Turtle Power: The Definitive History of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, a doc whose subject material I've enjoyed for 28 years. Unfortunately, the doc itself is no more engaging than reading a comprehensive Wikipedia page.

I knew going into Salesman that it was from the same team that made Gimme Shelter, which I watched four years ago almost to the day. I found the film itself interesting, but it was the totality of the Criterion supplements that I consumed the next day that really "unlocked" that film for me. I kept that in mind while watching Salesman, because I frequently had the feeling that with a little bit more elaboration here and there, a lot of the film proper would engage me more than it did on its own.

I don't have access to the film on disc, though, and the only supplement that Criterion has made available for streaming is the original trailer, showing on the film's page on their website. One thing the trailer connects most directly is the hard line between supervisor Kennie Turner about eliminating sellers who detract from moral, and central figure Paul Brennan, whom we see become increasingly demoralized and demoralizing.

Salesman may be more valuable today as a historical record than it was at the time of its release. Audiences were conscious of how obsolete the culture depicted was becoming, but everyone who appears on camera seems to be oblivious. Even Brennan's cynicism is about whether he is becoming obsolete within that world, not whether that world is becoming obsolete. We see several instances of hard sells not materialize. The closest we get to awareness that there is a world outside the Mid-American Bible Company circuit is a sequence when Brennan can't find his destination and is lost driving around a "Muslim district" in Miami, where the streets all have names like Ali Baba, Sesame, and even Harem.

In an effort to gain more insight into the film, I read Toby Miller's essay, penned for Criterion's 2001 DVD release of the film. Miller notes that
Underneath this critique of failure and smallness lies a more powerful indictment of American commercial society: its petty obsessions with status, its propensity to exploit the gullible, its way of concealing exploitation behind goodwill, and above all, its snide trick of offering religion and its promise of deliverance in the afterlife, rather than improvements in everyday life.

All true, but one thing that stood out to me that Miller doesn't mention is the toxicity of the "bootstraps" work ethic when married to the "higher calling" self-image pushed on these sellers to see themselves as serving a religious purpose, that there's greater value in what they're selling beyond the obvious tangible good that makes them superior to other door-to-door sellers of mere worldly goods like vacuum cleaners.

This is all summarized early in the film's coverage of the convention meeting, where Kennie Turner lectures about how if anyone isn't making money selling Bibles, it's their own fault, just before Melbourne I. Feltman insists that the sellers, "Stop thinking in terms of Bible peddling, because I'm confident that once you realize what you are doing for others, you and your own esteem will rise so high -- not in conceit, but in humility! -- knowing that you have the privilege and the power to be of service to others."

Only Brennan seems to be invested in his identity as a Catholic, though it's hard to tell the extent to which it's something he believes in or if it's merely something he's worked into his sales routine so thoroughly. The others all have the air of ordinary hustlers who 20 years later would instead have vied for on-air jobs at QVC and the Home Shopping Network, dedicating the same level of enthusiasm for an elaborate Catholic encyclopedia set as for an earring and necklace set of cubic zirconia. Even without anyone indicating that they're considering their "privilege and power to be of service to others", we see the pressure placed on them to justify their hustling techniques, no matter how conniving, strong-armed, or outright deceitful.

Salesman is a microcosm of everything wrong with sanctified (and sanctimonious) hustling. This entire industry was built around pushing on churchgoers posh books they didn't even need at prices they couldn't afford by sellers whose status as either a world bettering agent of God or a failure with only himself to blame determined by whether or not those sales were made. Viewing the film in the wake of the 2008 economic meltdown and the bitter lessons we're collectively still processing makes Salesman all the more surreal. It's laughably naive and disgustingly cynical all at once.

As a film to be viewed, Salesman is generally interesting and moderately entertaining. As a conversation-starter, though, it's everything its makers could have hoped it might become. Often when I get around to seeing a prolific film, there's generally more a sense of satisfaction from having chipped away at my list of shame and now being able to catch references to that film. Salesman is in a smaller subset, though, of films that I now want to find others who have seen so I can discuss it with them.

Salesman entered my Flickchart at #560/1850

Salesman
-X- Decades - 1960's (1968)
-X- Spine range - 101-200 (#122)
-X- Theme - Documentaries
-X- Theme - Independent American Cinema
-X- Language - English
-X- Essay - Salesman, Toby Miller
-X- Trailer - Salesman Theatrical Trailer

Box Sets/Top 10 Lists
Steve Buscemi's Top 10
James Franco's Top 10
Jean-Pierre Gorin's Top 10
Robert Greene's Top 10
Chris Hegedus's Top 10
Neil LaBute's Top 10
Oren Moverman's Top 10

Last edited by Travis McClain; 09-11-16 at 01:11 AM.
Old 09-11-16, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Incidentally, this month's entry in the year long TCM Big Screen Series is Dr. Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. It plays one week from today, 18 September, at 2:00 & 7:00, and again that Wednesday, 21 September, at the same times. Check the official Fathom Events webpage to see if a theater near you will be showing it.
Old 09-11-16, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

TCM reminded me that it's the 75th Anniversary of Citizen Kane this month.
Old 09-11-16, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
I watched this...last year maybe? and found it a bit overrated. I can kind of see why people feel it's a classic, but it really didn't float my boat.

Just finished Sid and Nancy. I can't say that I liked it but I can't say I hated it either. It did grab my attention, kind of like a train wreck. I can see why it became a cult classic though. Don't know that I'd recommend it to most people, however. Glad I finally got it off my "to see" list.
Old 09-11-16, 10:16 PM

I watched this...last year maybe? and found it a bit overrated. I can kind of see why people feel it's a classic, but it really didn't float my boat.
I tend to agree - it falls into that unfortunate gulf caused by time: imitations and things inpired by it are so prevalent (and in parts, arguably, better) that it necessarily suffers in comparison.

It's really hard to distance yourself from NOW and imagine it then - 75 years ago, for goodness' sake!
Old 09-11-16, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Today, I watched films from two of my favorite directors: Robert Altman and Jacques Tati. Both were new to me, and both were great. First, I watched Altman's Secret Honor which is a monologue by a disgraced, fictional Nixon who rants and raves into a complex system of recording devices. It was a wonderfully executed film that had me on the edge of my seat.

Next, I watched Trafic in which M. Hulot is the designer of a "camping car" that needs to get to an important automobile expo. Tati's brilliant gags are so delightfully funny. There's a wonderful running gag involving free plaster busts of historical figures that are being handed out at a border crossing.
Old 09-11-16, 10:44 PM

Brief thoughts:
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! is really weird. Oddly realistic in a disturbing, odd manner. Stockholm Syndrome as a vaguelly positive thing...

The Spirit of the Beehive - not entirely sure I 'got' it. Intriguing Frankenstein elements, and the interviews were enlightening.

The Honeymoon Killers , based on real events, made a sort of mundane sadness ou of a Bonnie & Clyde-esque story. The ending is bleak, desperately sad, but mildly uplifting: the lov and forgiveness in the face of adversirt, perversity and psychopathic something is... complex.

The Flowers of St. Francis shows brief - often amusing, certainly moral - vignettes in the life of St. Francis. Light, but interesting.

The Silence of the Lambs is excellent.

The Exterminating Angel... I do not get the title. I don't quite get the analogy. I don't fully understand the plot. This film is fantastic.

So is Simon of the Desert. Mad. Entertaining. Well done.

Sullivan's Travels does an excellent job comparing and contrasting reality with fiction; humour with pathos. Very well cast.

Gods of the Plague. I didn't quite follow everything, and didn"t enjoy it much. Seemed bleak and fatalistic.

The Lady Eve is utterly fantastic. Fonda is baffled and bemused; Stanwyck is masterful, and everyone else is excellent. The frustrated, hungry father. The cardgames. The batty plot. The bodyguard. The script. The ending.

In the Realm of the Senses.... errr... wasn't expecting this at all. 90odd minutes of wall-to-wall sex. Surprisingly well crafted for what it seems to be.

Stagecoach is excellent. Particularly John Wayne's character's attitude. Very commendable.

Return of the Prodigal Son... I already don't remember any of it. Sorry..

Grey Gardens: I find it comforting and commendable that the Beales seem to know their flaws and failings, try to change, try to apologise, but ultimately are happy with their life. Albeit while complaing...

Conquest of the Air - very interesting documentary, with one of my favourite lines. (That I wrote down and lost.) Something about magic and wings not being enough to fly..

Il Sorpasso - excellent, madcap fun.: !

Pearls of the Crown - Excellent.

Citizen Kane - Mixed feelings.
[B[]Oearls of the Deep[9 Odd.
Old 09-11-16, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I tend to agree - it falls into that unfortunate gulf caused by time: imitations and things inpired by it are so prevalent (and in parts, arguably, better) that it necessarily suffers in comparison.

It's really hard to distance yourself from NOW and imagine it then - 75 years ago, for goodness' sake!
I first saw Citizen Kane four years ago in a screening at a preserved theater where it very likely may have played when it was originally released. I knew well beforehand what the "Rosebud" in question really was, so that part of the narrative was never a mystery for me. I'm still not entirely sure I understand why it being a mystery for the characters in the story became conflated as some kind of mystery for us the viewers.

I found Welles charismatic and entertaining simply to watch. His performance there reminded me at times of some of the work James Gandolfini did as Tony Soprano, imbuing what in some respects is a larger than life caricature with surprising nuance and sophistication. There were moments when Welles would shift his posture that elicited strong reactions from the audience; often laughter, but I distinctly recall one moment where there was an audible expression of suspense and tension. I can't now recall what was happening in the film to provoke it, but it was palpable.

I think that's one of the most important things to consider about films of its vintage: They were crafted only with being exhibited before a theater audience in mind. The acting style was even then distinguishable from stage theater acting, but there was still concern that people in the balcony be able to follow along on a screen considerably smaller than the large format screens of today.

Normally, whenever people talk about those acting conventions, they're making apologies for exaggerations that may seem primitive today, but my point is that they were effective and can still be effective in the appropriate setting. There's just no way to approximate that audience reation factor in an at-home viewing.

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Today, I watched films from two of my favorite directors: Robert Altman and Jacques Tati. Both were new to me, and both were great. First, I watched Altman's Secret Honor which is a monologue by a disgraced, fictional Nixon who rants and raves into a complex system of recording devices. It was a wonderfully executed film that had me on the edge of my seat.
Man, Philip Baker Hall mesmerized me as Nixon! I was conscious while watching it of several historical inaccuracies to dispute; some of which I suppose may not have been clearly understood then to have been inaccurate. It didn't matter. There's such verisimilitude to Hall's performance that the film feels accurate, if only to itself. I think an important reason it works so well is that Hall doesn't necessarily "play Nixon". He's recognizable as the former President, but he doesn't make a conspicuous show of recreating Nixon's speech pattern or affecting his physical quirks. Instead, he relies more on conveying Nixon's intensity and inner volatility, and he nailed that.
Old 09-11-16, 11:26 PM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
I just watched my first Ozu film ever, Tokyo Chorus from the Eclipse Series 10 set. I really liked it. I think that I'm going to dig Ozu.
...and now I've watched my second Ozu film, I Was Born, But....

I enjoyed it quite a bit, but regardless of its importance in his oeuvre, I still prefer his earlier Tokyo Chorus by a small margin.

That's not to say that there weren't some great things in I Was Born, But... -- I thought at times that it almost resembled a Japanese take on the Our Gang series, and the plot device of home movies in 1932 (!) was very, very cool. It was enjoyable, and I'm ready for more Ozu.
Old 09-12-16, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Two interesting films I checked out this weekend were Phoenix and Secret Sunshine. The German film, Phoenix, played like a slow burn with a great ending. The Korean pic, Secret Sunshine, was hard to watch and a bit depressing. What I liked about it is it defied the traditional ways and cliches that typical screenwriting takes. Plus, it has solidified my love for Song Kang-ho, mostly notedly known for Snowpiercer in the States. Check that out if you haven't seen it already. I want to see all his movies now.
Old 09-12-16, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
I first saw Citizen Kane four years ago in a screening at a preserved theater where it very likely may have played when it was originally released. I knew well beforehand what the "Rosebud" in question really was, so that part of the narrative was never a mystery for me. I'm still not entirely sure I understand why it being a mystery for the characters in the story became conflated as some kind of mystery for us the viewers.
That's a really good point. I guess it's an easy narrative hook, and making it out to be a mystery-of-sorts (that never gets solved) is easier to talk about than making it out to be a broad biography. Possibly?

I found Welles charismatic and entertaining simply to watch. His performance there reminded me at times of some of the work James Gandolfini did as Tony Soprano, imbuing what in some respects is a larger than life caricature with surprising nuance and sophistication. There were moments when Welles would shift his posture that elicited strong reactions from the audience; often laughter, but I distinctly recall one moment where there was an audible expression of suspense and tension. I can't now recall what was happening in the film to provoke it, but it was palpable.

I think that's one of the most important things to consider about films of its vintage: They were crafted only with being exhibited before a theater audience in mind. The acting style was even then distinguishable from stage theater acting, but there was still concern that people in the balcony be able to follow along on a screen considerably smaller than the large format screens of today.

Normally, whenever people talk about those acting conventions, they're making apologies for exaggerations that may seem primitive today, but my point is that they were effective and can still be effective in the appropriate setting. There's just no way to approximate that audience reation factor in an at-home viewing.
Quite. And, for me, if you vet into the mindset it doesn't matter or stand out. The 'over-dramatic'-type of criticism doesn't usually strike me as fair or reasonable because it seems no more of a contrivance than anything else used in a medium whose purpose is entertainment, usually through fiction. So exaggeration or grandiosity seems completely normal - within that context.
Old 09-12-16, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man, Philip Baker Hall mesmerized me as Nixon! I was conscious while watching it of several historical inaccuracies to dispute; some of which I suppose may not have been clearly understood then to have been inaccurate. It didn't matter. There's such verisimilitude to Hall's performance that the film feels accurate, if only to itself. I think an important reason it works so well is that Hall doesn't necessarily "play Nixon". He's recognizable as the former President, but he doesn't make a conspicuous show of recreating Nixon's speech pattern or affecting his physical quirks. Instead, he relies more on conveying Nixon's intensity and inner volatility, and he nailed that.
I agree. I thought it was shrewd that Altman included closeups of actual pictures of Nixon on the walls of the study. The film is about the aura and legacy of Nixon, a composite of all we know and surmise, treating both with the same reverence. I'll admit that I'm not overly familiar with Nixon; most of my understanding comes from pop culture (including the Oliver Stone film and caricatures on Futurama) and my grandpa's dislike of him. Like you, this portrayal feels "right". My favorite moments were when thinks better of his rhetoric and calmly tells Roberto to erase everything after certain points. It's this roller coaster of bombast and self-censorship that most of us keep sequestered to our inner monologue.
Old 09-12-16, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's a really good point. I guess it's an easy narrative hook, and making it out to be a mystery-of-sorts (that never gets solved) is easier to talk about than making it out to be a broad biography. Possibly?
I'm adding this to the list of things for me to read about more later. Out of curiosity, I looked up the original trailer, which I'd never seen. It's rather novel! For those who, like me, may have been unfamiliar with it, it's much more akin to what we're familiar with as EPK's today. Nothing is said to even suggest that there's any kind of investigation or mystery to the film. The best is that, at the end of the trailer, Welles gives us a montage of characters in the film commenting about Kane. Some reinforce one another, some contradict one another. But there's certainly nothing in the trailer that would account for "What is 'Rosebud'?" having been established as a talking point, much less the defining one.

Quite. And, for me, if you vet into the mindset it doesn't matter or stand out. The 'over-dramatic'-type of criticism doesn't usually strike me as fair or reasonable because it seems no more of a contrivance than anything else used in a medium whose purpose is entertainment, usually through fiction. So exaggeration or grandiosity seems completely normal - within that context.
I'll grant that sometimes it takes me awhile to acclimate to the conventions or aesthetics of a given film, but I've found that the more consciously I've worked to understand them, the easier that's gotten, and the more I've been able to appreciate what I watch. Like anyone else, I suppose I have some quirks to my taste. I have no problem getting into silent films and rarely think twice about how exaggerated those performances are, but I often have to make myself be patient with, say, a contemporary comedy.

I agree. I thought it was shrewd that Altman included closeups of actual pictures of Nixon on the walls of the study. The film is about the aura and legacy of Nixon, a composite of all we know and surmise, treating both with the same reverence. I'll admit that I'm not overly familiar with Nixon; most of my understanding comes from pop culture (including the Oliver Stone film and caricatures on Futurama) and my grandpa's dislike of him. Like you, this portrayal feels "right". My favorite moments were when thinks better of his rhetoric and calmly tells Roberto to erase everything after certain points. It's this roller coaster of bombast and self-censorship that most of us keep sequestered to our inner monologue.
Including the photos of the real Nixon was a nice touch, and one I'd forgotten! As soon as I read that, though, I was reminded that I also appreciated their inclusion. I found it an interesting way to emphasize to us as viewers to be mindful that this film was an interpretation of Nixon, and encouraging us to reconcile it with our own.

Sure, we're going to compare notes about any interpretation of people or events, but it's less common for us to be so explicitly prompted to do that throughout the film at hand. Normally, there's more of a sort of "Wait till we're finished!" attitude, asking us to hold off on thinking about what we know or believe until the movie is over. Altman instead seemed to interrupt the film with the pictures as a way of taking our temperature. "Does this surprise you? Does this seem right to you? Is that how you remember it?"

Incidentally, for further reading, I would recommend David Gergen's memoir, Eyewitness to Power: The Essence of Leadership from Nixon to Clinton. He was a speechwriter for Nixon, and had some insights that I found a helpful lens for reading or hearing other takes on him. Gergen also worked in the Ford, Reagan, and Clinton administrations. These days, he's a political analyst for CNN. I'd also recommend reading his account of working for President Reagan, if only because there are some magnificent anecdotes throughout that section!
Old 09-13-16, 12:39 PM

With hesitation, deviation and repetition*, I've been lossely watching CC films that have the phrase "of the" in the title. It's quite fun!

Juliet of the Spirits is the latest "weird, but enjoyable" foreign offering this vague plan has led me to. I may seek it out in November.

*Anyone?
Old 09-13-16, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Incidentally, for further reading, I would recommend David Gergen's memoir, Eyewitness to Power: The Essence of Leadership from Nixon to Clinton. He was a speechwriter for Nixon, and had some insights that I found a helpful lens for reading or hearing other takes on him. Gergen also worked in the Ford, Reagan, and Clinton administrations. These days, he's a political analyst for CNN. I'd also recommend reading his account of working for President Reagan, if only because there are some magnificent anecdotes throughout that section!
Thanks for the recommendation! It sounds like a fascinating book, and I've added it to my reading list.
Old 09-13-16, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yesterday, I watched ... And the Pursuit of Happiness, a Louis Malle documentary about immigrants in the United States. He travels the country and interviews people from all walks of life, statuses, and situations. Malle weaves a tapestry that is beautiful and complicated. It feels like a documentary that needs to find a modern audience, especially due to much of the reactionary rhetoric dominating the conversation around immigration.
Old 09-13-16, 11:34 PM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

I just finished up watching the third film in the Silent Ozu: Three Family Comedies Eclipse set, Passing Fancy. I loved it--easily my favorite of the three films in the set, which by default makes it my favorite Ozu film (so far). I've enjoyed them all, so now I'll be on a quest to watch his other films. I won't get around to them this month, though--too many other films I've set aside to watch.
Old 09-14-16, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Okay, folks... What should I watch?
Le Corbeau,
The 400 Blows, or
The Hidden Fortress

?????????????????????????????????????????
Old 09-14-16, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pacaway
Okay, folks... What should I watch?
Le Corbeau,
The 400 Blows, or
The Hidden Fortress

?????????????????????????????????????????
Definitely The 400 Blows
Old 09-14-16, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I think I'm going to have at least one missed item on my personal checklist this month. With a bit of thinking, I have HBO, Disney, and 3D covered; but I can't think of a way to cover Star Trek this month.
Definitely The 400 Blows
Alright... I'm breaking the seal right now!

Thanks!
Old 09-14-16, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pacaway
Alright... I'm breaking the seal right now!

Thanks!
Huzzah! You're welcome! I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on it. It was one of the first Criterion movies I bought.
Old 09-14-16, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Huzzah! You're welcome! I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on it. It was one of the first Criterion movies I bought.
I'm going in completely blind. I have no idea what it is about.
Old 09-14-16, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, now that I've watched it, I STILL don't know what it's about! LOL

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.