DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 8th Annual Criterion Collection Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-16, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The 8th Annual Criterion Collection Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
Am I right in thinking you're referring to the LaserDiscs that were announced but not released, as listed in the Wiki? I'm fine with those counting. They met Criterion's criteria for selection; it was pretty much just a studio business snag that kept those from being issued in most cases. Several of them have had a DVD release, whether in the collection proper or Eclipse, leaving just this baker's dozen:

Titles Announced for LaserDisc but To Date Not Released on Any Criterion Format
Blue Velvet
The Bridge on the River Kwai
City of Hope
The Elephant Man
A Few Good Men
Godzilla vs. Monster Zero
Godzilla vs. Mothra
Godzilla's Revenge
The Lady from Shanghai
The Prince of Tides
A River Runs Through It
Salt of the Earth
Terror of Mechagodzilla

If anyone wants to go all the way down the rabbit hole, Criterion also made a small attempt at a Criterion Television Classics line. Tanner '88 was officially incorporated into the Collection on DVD, but on LaserDisc, there were also the following:

The Addams Family
"Cousin Itt Visits the Addams Family" & "Amnesia in the Addams Family"

I Love Lucy
"Job Switching" & "Lucy Does a TV Commercial"

Might be worth holding onto those two Addams Family episodes for Criterion/Horror crossover night! :P
I have all of those Godzilla movies as part of the Classic Media Collection. Looks like there is more kaiju than just the first movie.
Old 08-31-16, 06:05 PM

Received 516 Likes on 372 Posts

Am I right in thinking you're referring to the LaserDiscs that were announced but not released, as listed in the Wiki? I'm fine with those counting. They met Criterion's criteria for selection; it was pretty much just a studio business snag that kept those from being issued in most cases. Several of them have had a DVD release, whether in the collection proper or Eclipse, leaving just this baker's dozen:

Titles Announced for LaserDisc but To Date Not Released on Any Criterion Format
Blue Velvet
The Bridge on the River Kwai
City of Hope
The Elephant Man
A Few Good Men
Godzilla vs. Monster Zero
Godzilla vs. Mothra
Godzilla's Revenge
The Lady from Shanghai
The Prince of Tides
A River Runs Through It
Salt of the Earth
Terror of Mechagodzilla
Yes, that's what I was talking about. I figured that since they had been announced, they would be considered Criterion-worthy. But there was probably some licensing problem that kept them from being released.

I haven't seen Few Good Men and River Runs Through It in a long time. So I thought I might watch those again.
Old 08-31-16, 07:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Now that it is dusk, I am popping in my Fantastic Planet blu-ray to kick off the challenge. I imagine this will be a popular animation challenge crossover this year. It's a first time watch for me, so eager to see how I like it.
Old 09-01-16, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Honeymoon Killers is pretty good. Would have added it to my good/bad list if I remembered. I plan on watching it after I finish The Brood.
Old 09-01-16, 10:23 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

starting the day with Equinox. It is an old criterion DVD set i bought in 2006. its loaded with two versions of the film, two commentaries and a second dvd of special features.
Old 09-01-16, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I started the challenge last night with Billy Liar. I had to rent it from VUDU because it seems to no longer be in Criterion's control; the disc is OOP and it isn't streaming with their library on Hulu. I've challenged myself to write one blog post weekly for Flickchart, so I started with one about this film. I did, however, also dash off an entry in my Letterboxd diary:

SPOILER ALERT FOR ANYONE READING EMAIL
Spoiler:
At dusk, the annual DVD Talk forum Criterion challenge officially began! I've committed myself to watching Steve Buscemi's Top 10, and Billy Liar was first on his list. Earlier this year, I saw Tom Courtenay in the fantastic 45 Years (for which his costar, Charlotte Rampling, was deservedly nominated for Best Actress at this year's Oscars). He'll always be Strelnikov to me first and foremost, but I'll readily admit that between these other two films, I'm quickly developing a greater respect for, and keener interest in, his work as an actor.

I saw in Courtenay's performance a lot of nuances that resonated with me personally. I'm not prone to his kind of daydreaming or elaborate fantasies, but I did detect some strong elements of impostor syndrome at work. In his essay for Criterion, Bruce Goldstein quotes an excerpt from Keith Waterhouse, the original novelist who also co-wrote the play and film:
Waterhouse recalled in his memoirs, “It was fascinating to contrast their performances: Albert’s ‘I am star!’ Billy, Tom’s ‘I wish I were a star!’ Billy. Both interpretations are equally correct, for locked in Billy Fisher’s tangled psyche are both characters, star and nonentity.”

For me, Courtenay's "I wish I were a star" approach is the richer interpretation. It imbues specific moments with markedly different context and subtext, for one thing, but it also makes some specific parts of the story work better for me than I think they would have had Billy actually believed himself to be a "star".

Cut to the penultimate scene, where Billy leaves the train.

If Billy really does believe himself to be a star who just needs the right breaks, then him running away from the train at that moment makes no sense. He's already apprehensive, that much is clear, but what tips the scales is when he recognizes the band who had earlier that evening performed the song he co-wrote. A star desperate for a break would see this as a golden opportunity to at least try to ingratiate himself and forge a replacement for the tenuous alliance he thought he had going with Danny Boon.

However, if Billy doesn't actually believe he's a star, but rather wishes he was one, then it makes perfect sense for him to flee that setting. As someone with a strong impostor syndrome problem, I can easily understand how intimidating and outright terrifying that kind of experience could be.

I don't even think that Billy really wanted Danny Boon to come through and become his golden ticket out of Yorkshire. I think he was relieved. There's something about finding out that there are, in fact, limits to our fanciful notions that's comforting, and the prospect that there are no limits can be terrifying. Most of us have experienced that phenomenon at least once, whether it was actually applying to a school we thought we were unqualified to attend or buying an engagement ring and wondering, "What happens if she says 'yes'?"

This is a strong opening to my 2016 DVD Talk Criterion Challenge. Though I often appreciate the films I watch during these challenges, it's less common for me to so thoroughly enjoy them. Julie Christie lights up the screen every time she's in the frame. I also got a kick out of the chemistry between Courtenay and Rodney Bewes as his collaborator, Arthur Crabtree.

Billy Liar entered my Flickchart at #180/1845

Billy Liar
-X- Decade - 1960 (1963)
-X- Spine range - 101-200 (#121)
-X- Theme - Comedies
-X- Language - English
-X- Billy Liar, Bruce Goldstein
-X- Billy Liar: A Spinner of Fantasies Beset by Deep Indecision, A.O. Scott

Included in:
10 Years of Rialto Pictures
Steve Buscemi's Top 10
Donald Fagen's Top 10
Douglas Hart's Top 10
Georgia Hubley's Top 10
Dominic Monaghan's Top 10

Last edited by Travis McClain; 09-05-16 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-01-16, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I started the challenge last night with Billy Liar. I had to rent it from VUDU because it seems to no longer be in Criterion's control; the disc is OOP and it isn't streaming with their library on Hulu.
Billy Liar was snatched away, along with a large swathe of Criterion's catalog, when Studio Canal decided to take back the publishing rights to titles they control. Of course, Studio Canal hasn't re-released most of the titles they took back, and the few they have released have been substandard compared to the Criterion version.

i started last night with another Julie Christie film, Robert Altman's McCabe and Mrs. Miller that I had DVR'd from TCM. It's a brilliant, if bleak, film, and I loved the juxtaposition of Christie's savvy, pragmatic whore with a weakness for opium vs. Warren Beatty as a bumbling entrepreneurial pimp. Every part of that movie, from the Leonard Cohen score to the acting, writing, direction, and cinematography, is perfect.

PSA: Tonight (September 1) TCM will show a Preston Sturges marathon, including three Criterion titles: The Lady Eve, Sullivan's Travels, and The Palm Beach Story. Stagecoach will be shown at noon Saturday. On Sunday, Grey Gardens is on at 10:30 am, and Il Sorpasso at 2 am and Stranger than Paradise at 4 am. (all times Eastern)

Last edited by Gobear; 09-01-16 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-01-16, 12:03 PM

PHP Code:
Originally posted by Gobear

i started last night with another Julie Christie film
Robert Altman's [B]McCabe and Mrs. Miller[/B] 
I see that the blu ray criterion is coming out in october
Old 09-01-16, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ended up starting with the recent release of The Player. It falls into that "I remember seeing this once when it first came out, but not since" category. The transfer was a little soft but still entertaining. Not chockfull of extras, just a commentary and some trailers.
Old 09-01-16, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

If anyone gets Epix, Rosemary's Baby is on one of the channels tonight at 8:00.
Old 09-02-16, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

I watched The Passion of Joan of Arc as my first film for the Challenge. I feel kind of stupid in that, for all the years that I've known about the film's existence, I never once equated the use of the word "passion" in the title with "death." I should have known better, especially after Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ, but I didn't. I always thought that the film was about Joan's passionate belief in her faith, but I guess that it's about that, too.

Anyway, the first half dragged for me, but after she was taken to the torture room, I became a lot more involved in the story. I was surprised by the blood-letting scene, and by the shots of the breast-feeding child during Joan's burning. The cinematography was incredible, and the film out-Fellinis Fellini in the sheer number of remarkable faces that are shown. Falconetti must have cried at least a quart of tears during the filming.

The film also reminded me that, although I've put off seeing a fair number of classic films because I asssume that they'll be difficult to enjoy, I'm almost always wrong about my assumptions regarding these classics once I see them.

It was a good one to start with.
Old 09-02-16, 10:27 AM

Today was a John Ford / Howard Hawks marathon:

I started off with two John Wayne movies Stagecoach (1939) and Red River (1948). Followed that up with another classic western, My Darling Clementine (1946). And then finished with Only Angels Have Wings (1939).

I'd seen the 3 westerns many times. But this was my first time watching Only Angels Have Wings. That was a great movie. I can't believe I haven't seen it before. Definitely a 5-star classic.
Old 09-02-16, 08:34 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave

If there's anyone out there that doesn't have Hulu, this would be a good time to get that free trial. They're going to lose the Criterion Collection in a couple months.
...do what? I must've missed that announcement...
Old 09-02-16, 08:39 PM

Certified Copy captivated and moved me more viscerally than perhaps any other movie I've watched in recent memory. I wrote about it in the discussion thread that year, as well as in my Letterboxd diary. Since streaming it three years ago, I've bought it on Blu-ray, and that's on my list of discs in my library I intend to explore during this year's challenge.
Likewise. Twelve Angry Men is one of the few other films that just mesmerises me as much as Certified Copy does.
Old 09-02-16, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Travis will have more info, but basically Criterion is creating their own online streaming service. I believe it is in beta right now and going live sometime later fall. The same time as Hulu's agreement with them runs out.
Old 09-02-16, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by LJG765
Travis will have more info, but basically Criterion is creating their own online streaming service. I believe it is in beta right now and going live sometime later fall. The same time as Hulu's agreement with them runs out.
It's TCM and Criterion making yet another streaming service that'll run about 10 bucks.
Old 09-02-16, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
It's TCM and Criterion making yet another streaming service that'll run about 10 bucks.
Hmm...

Does that help explain TCM's lne-up this month, I wonder - I count about 25 eligible films throughout September.
Old 09-03-16, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by ntnon
There's a thread about it in the Streaming Talk section:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-t...ilmstruck.html
Old 09-03-16, 08:34 AM

Wages of Fear is a 2.5 hour gripping film about four guys working for an oil company on a suicide mission
Old 09-03-16, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
There's a thread about it in the Streaming Talk section:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-t...ilmstruck.html
Oh... I must've completely ignored the Criterion angle! Thought that was 'just' TCM..
Old 09-03-16, 12:59 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
If it only costs 10 bucks per month I would be ecstatic. I have Hulu which has a lot of Criterion films but this new streaming site promises to have additional extras that I love. There is no other streaming site at all that has decent horror, sci-fi and Academy Awards films like TCM. We cut out our cable a year and a half ago and it is by far the channel I miss most, especially at Halloween. I will gladly pay for this channel!
Old 09-03-16, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Finally watched Mulholland Drive! I'd only been familiar with one scene.

I felt like I was sailing along until the last hour, when my head exploded, ha ha.
Old 09-03-16, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thursday night, I was able to attend a stage performance of The 39 Steps by Actors Theatre of Louisville. This adaptation was written in 2005, and skews farther into broad comedy and even some slapstick rather than the escalating tension of the Hitchcock film. It's terrific fun, and I would certainly recommend catching it. I'm kind of curious to revisit the 1935 film now, which I realized as the play progressed I had conflated in parts with The Lady Vanishes.

Last night, I sat down to stream Steve Buscemi's #2, Brute Force...and promptly fell asleep. Gonna start over from the beginning here shortly. It's been quite some time since I fell asleep watching something. I hate getting old.
Old 09-04-16, 12:22 AM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

I just watched my first Ozu film ever, Tokyo Chorus from the Eclipse Series 10 set. I really liked it. I think that I'm going to dig Ozu.
Old 09-04-16, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rbrown498
I just watched my first Ozu film ever, Tokyo Chorus from the Eclipse Series 10 set. I really liked it. I think that I'm going to dig Ozu.
In 2012, I streamed The Only Son and There Was a Father. Both were terrific, though the latter was distressful for me to watch for personal reasons. There isn't much point in me sharing what I noted about There Was a Father, but here's what I wrote in my Letterboxd diary at the time about The Only Son. There are spoilers, so I'm sharing this more for others for who have already seen it who might want to discuss it, though I also know some people don't really care about such things.

SPOILER ALERT FOR ANYONE READING EMAIL

Spoiler:
It wasn't really intentional that I should follow In the Realm of the Senses, a Japanese film set in 1936, with Hitori musuko [The Only Son], a Japanese film made in 1936. Rather, I came to discover that I could knock out three of the few remaining checklist items for my Criterion Challenge if I watched this and its companion piece, There Was a Father.

Watching The Only Son in 2012 is nearly surreal. It's as timely now as it ever was, which is frankly discouraging. Otsune is a working poor widow pressured into sacrificing even more of herself to scrape up the money to send her son, Ryosuke, to school. She's made to see that without an education, her son will never have a chance to better himself and certainly not if he remains in their quaint, dead-end town.

However, when we catch up to Ryosuke as an adult, we discover that for all her sacrificing and all his hard work, he's no better off than he would have been otherwise. He's a night-time teacher, living in what could charitably be described as a dump with his sweet wife, Sugiko, and their infant son.

We watch as he scrounges to put on airs to impress his mother, trying to wow her with the hustle and bustle of Tokyo. He borrows money from colleagues to effectively rent some status symbols to validate his mother's investment in him. She sees through the charade, however, and more importantly - these are not things that she values. It means nothing to her to watch a talkie film.

It's simultaneously amusing and deflating to see the cliche of the struggling academic living off ramen noodles dating as far back as this film, but sure enough Ryosuke buys three bowls of it for dinner one night, trying to impress his mother that things are just fine. It's not only his mother, though; it's Ryosuke himself who feels disappointment and shame at not having lived up to his end of the bargain: to become "a great man."

How familiar is it to hear Ryosuke's frustration that all his hard work means nothing? That he had already tried to make it, only to be stymied by an economy that shut out so many that success is a bottleneck in which scant few really have even a chance? That he's just one of millions to see their ambitions and talents dashed on the shoals of an indifferent economy? The only way it could be timelier is if Ryosuke still had massive student loan debt and a medical condition.

It isn't until Otsune sees her son forfeit borrowed money to help his neighbor after her son is injured by a horse that she is comforted. Finally, this is something she recognizes and values. Though she has defied his capitulation to circumstance, arguing that he's still young and that he is wrong to give up on himself now, she is able to return home confident that her son has, indeed, turned out well. She discusses him with her coworker, and we can tell she's trying to put a nice spin on his circumstances and her visit, but when she reflects on who he is, rather than where he is, we recognize genuine maternal pride.

So many stories about characters in similar straits devolve into the kind of "bootstraps" rhetoric that's as insulting as it is saccharine, but The Only Son nimbly avoids those pitfalls. We're left with Ryosuke resolved to go back to school and become a high school teacher, but we know it's going to be challenging. How will he even pay for it? How will they manage while he's in school? These questions are left unanswered. We've seen enough to know that this is not a happily-ever-after resolution.

Rather, what matters is that we see Ryosuke embraces the challenge. Each generation sacrifices to improve the chances of the next, and we see that while Ryosuke won't be the one in the family to "make it," he will continue the generations-long task and that maybe, just maybe, his son will get a fair roll of the dice.

Hitori musuko [The Only Son] entered my Flickchart at #132/1429

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.