DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ASYLUM DVDs - Dont they get sued?

Anyways, its been a week now.. but here is one example of their "Ripoff" DVDs

Obviously this one is a rip off of this movie called Cloverfield

Dont they get sued by Studio Companies?
Old 01-24-08, 10:32 PM

Naw, they won't get sued. The studios don't see them as a threat so they don't bother. They're really only a danger to really stupid people walking through Blockbuster and people like me who have a morbid fascination with them and buy everyone they come across.
Old 01-24-08, 10:33 PM

Here are more examples of their DVD Movies

I AM OMEGA

I Am Legend Ripoff

Alien vs Hunter

Alien vs Predator Ripoff
Old 01-24-08, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by dcrw6
Naw, they won't get sued. The studios don't see them as a threat so they don't bother. They're really only a danger to really stupid people walking through Blockbuster and people like me who have a morbid fascination with them and buy everyone they come across.
Thanks for your insight...

Hehehe... for some reason I took the Bait and bought this DVD.. only to cry watching it in dismay
Old 01-24-08, 10:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or Ratatoing for that matter. More ripoffs:

Last edited by dx23; 01-24-08 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-24-08, 11:47 PM

Oh my God, the date on the disc made me laugh so hard
Old 01-25-08, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i was amazed to find a giant spider movie in alien vs hunter

i must see transmorphers now...amazing
Old 01-25-08, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Didnt they produce SNAKES ON A TRAIN?
Old 01-25-08, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by salamander2
Didnt they produce SNAKES ON A TRAIN?
Yup, that was them.
They've also done...
King of the Lost World (King Kong)
The Hitchhiker (The Hitcher)
Halloween Night (Halloween)
When A Killer Calls (When A Stranger Calls)
There are lots more. When they first started, they did produce more original flicks. I guess they realized how gullible the average movie renter is and started churning out these rip offs instead.
Old 01-25-08, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
are any of these even worth a rental?
Old 01-25-08, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

those covers are awesome .. keep 'em coming
Old 01-25-08, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This isn't all that different to what people like Roger Corman have been doing for years.
Old 01-25-08, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One word: Desperation.
Old 01-25-08, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
I guess you could at least fool little kids with the children's movies. I noticed one of these advertised at Redbox. Something about a Bee that was an obvious ripoff of "Bee Movie"
Old 01-25-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe there's an animated flick called Reef Tale or something like that as well.

I've never watched any of these, but I did almost buy Snakes on a Train. I even liked the trailer for that one.
Old 01-25-08, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L
I believe there's an animated flick called Reef Tale or something like that as well.

I've never watched any of these, but I did almost buy Snakes on a Train. I even liked the trailer for that one.
Actually, I think Reef Tale was by the Weinsteins....
Old 01-25-08, 02:08 PM
Banned

Murder by Design
Resident Demon
Pirates of Treasure Island
The Da Vinci Treasure
Exorcism: The Possession of Gail Bowers
Hillside Cannibals

They also like to slap Bram Stoker's name onto all of their vampire movies, because, you know, Stoker wrote a lot of vampire stories set in modern America.

They also like to use the tagline to attach their movie to another movie. You know some movies say "From the director of Blade Runner" or "From the producer of Black Hawk Down"? Well The Asylum likes to do "In the tradition of Star Wars."

If you want to see something funny beyond belief, the director of Transmorphers spends a lot of time on the IMDB message boards defending The Asylum.
Old 01-25-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Legolas
If you want to see something funny beyond belief, the director of Transmorphers spends a lot of time on the IMDB message boards defending The Asylum.

"Ok

As some of you may know, I often like to jump on the boards and discuss the films with the fans, whether it be to defend a film or thank them for praise. There are far too many posts for me to respond to directly, so I thought I would simply make a few points, then never speak of these boards or this film again.

First off, I haven't seen the final film. From talking to the cast and crew in America (I am in Romania making a sci-fi channel original at the moment) the sound mix for the film is pretty atrocious. Furthermore, I understand that a lot of the film is out of sync. The Asylum works very quickly, often times there is less than three months from the time a film is green lit until it shows up on video store shelves. Given those parameters, I am not surprised that there are technical issues with the final product. This was a very ambitious film given the time frame and the budget. The sound guys over there do their best given their resources. However, sound is half of a movie. If the sound is truly as bad as I hear it is, it is no wonder that people think the movie is awful. How can you get into a film or judge an actor's performance when the sync is off by more than a second in some cases? This is unfortunate and in many ways unacceptable. As I said, I have yet to see the final product, but based on the hate mail here, I doubt it looks and sounds anything like the film I left before jumping on the next show.

Let me also reiterate the point that I, Leigh Scott, am not the Asylum. I do not title the films, schedule their release dates, or decide on their marketing campaigns. The film I made was based on an idea I had several years ago. If the Asylum saw fit to time it out to TRANSFORMERS, then so be it. I get paid the same if the film rents five times or five million times. Of course, I knew their intentions, but to imply that I personally am a rip off artist or profit from people's ignorance is misguided and just plain wrong.

As for the people who download this film illegally, there is no excuse for your behavior. Period. I wonder how justified and smug you will be when you receive the indictment from the justice department. I have personally forwarded the IP addresses of all of you proud downloaders to the state attorney general. Your opinions are not valid, not welcomed and should be disregarded. It is disrespectful and immoral. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

As for you foreign downloaders, I am not surprised that you did not like the film. The language barrier is a big deal. I just got finished working with a bunch of Romanian actors whose acting style is very different from their American counterparts. Plus, based on your postings here, your command of the English language is spotty at best. I am not surprised that you may miss a nuance or a good performance. Again, since the film has not yet been released overseas, screw off. You stole the film. You are a criminal and should be regarded as such. Your opinion is negated by your lack of moral compass.

As for you wannabe filmmakers who think you can do a better job, I guarantee that all of you high school students and wedding videographers who think you could make a better movie are diluted. There is no way that any of you, with your lack of experience, could make an even watchable film under the constraints that I had, let alone a good movie. Filmmaking is hard. Especially when you are given 12 days and well under a quarter million dollars to work with. Seriously. I hope that you have the chance one day to do it, so you can appreciate the hard work and true challenge that filmmaking really is. Sure, your DV film shot in your basement is praised by your classmates and your relatives, but try doing that with a crew, group of actors, producers, deadlines etc. You will fail. Let me know if you want to try. I will personally front the money to watch one of you fall on your faces. I've watched, at the Asylum, as men in the 40s and 50s with several films under their belts, crack under the pressure. To say that it can be done better is to demonstrate a lack of understanding of the filmmaking process.

As for the effects, they suck. Synapse FX bit off more than they could chew and disappointed all of us, mostly me. For an effects heavy film, it is very disappointing. The effects being bad has less to do with me or the Asylum trying to be cheap than the VFX company being in over their heads. Sure, there are some really talented and great guys working there (who I would hire in a second) but over all the company as a whole does not function properly.

Now, do I think this is a masterpiece? No. Do I think this is the greatest movie ever made? No. Do I think that this is the best I can do as a filmmaker? No. But, do I think this film is cool for what it is, made for under a quarter million dollars and in the tradition of films like STARSHIP TROOPERS and the 80s FLASH GORDON, yes. Do I think that the film would be ten times better with a competent sound mix? Yes.

If you are looking for a multi million dollar studio film, look elsewhere. This is a low budget, B movie made for the same amount of money as indie films and films made in people's basements. Within those parameters, it is a testament to the hard work and creativity of the people behind it. No, I'm not going to get a different job and work at Burger King. No, the actors in the film shouldn't move back to the midwest. Quite the opposite. The fact that the film has some redeeming qualities, is 90 minutes long, and holds your attention means that all involved have bright futures in the entertainment world. Direct your ire at the idiots who spend millions of dollars and spend years making films that are marginally better. That is the true waste of time and talent.

Sincerely,

Leigh Scott

PS. Stop with the superlative "Worst Movie Ever" crap. It's not, far from it."
Old 01-25-08, 02:33 PM

check out their list of movies:

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0043571/

I actually rather enjoyed "King of the Ants"
Old 01-25-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
Let me know if you want to try. I will personally front the money to watch one of you fall on your faces.
Sincerely,

Leigh Scott
I'm sure there are a number of people - myself included - that would like to know where to sign up.
Old 01-25-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So is "Alien vs Hunter" better than Aliens vs Predator?
Old 01-25-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
are any of these even worth a rental?
Not really...they're not even good to make fun of, honestly.
Old 01-25-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Someone nees to open a production company called Looney Bin pictures and make a better version of the crap that Asylum dishes out.
Old 01-25-08, 04:09 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by UAIOE
So is "Alien vs Hunter" better than Aliens vs Predator?
It would almost have to be.....

I actually sort of liked the first one, C-.
Old 01-25-08, 04:19 PM
Suspended

Wait. I didn't fully comprehend at first, but have slowly and painfully understood that these are REAL "films".

E

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.