Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Fifth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2015

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-15, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,155 Likes on 946 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2015

Finally watching the much-hyped The Interview and expecting it to be terrible.

One possibility for next year's themes would be political comedy on Election Day. That would change year to year, though, so it might be annoying to plan for.

EDIT: Ooh, I forgot Lizzy Caplan was in this. I love her from Masters of Sex.
Old 11-04-15, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 199 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2015

For those following the Horror Challenge thread, my mood is doing a little better. My boxer has spent a lot of the day in bed with me, and that has helped, plus a nap after lunch helped my mood too. I've watched a couple sitcom episodes since I woke up from my nap.
Old 11-04-15, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 464 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Finally watching the much-hyped The Interview and expecting it to be terrible.

One possibility for next year's themes would be political comedy on Election Day. That would change year to year, though, so it might be annoying to plan for.

EDIT: Ooh, I forgot Lizzy Caplan was in this. I love her from Masters of Sex.
Originally Posted by Dimension X
Yes, we've done that before, with 11/1 being Horror Comedies, and Thanksgiving day for "Holiday themed comedy" movies, and family-friendly themes for the last week of the month (since the Holiday Challenge overlaps at least that much).

Thanks. Here it is, hidden so no one confuses it with this year's.

Spoiler:
THEME NIGHTS
Paste this underneath your list in spoiler tags:
November 1 – Horror comedy
November 2 – Funny guys with mustaches
November 3 – Foreign comedy
November 4 – Political comedy
November 5 – Silent comedy
November 6 – Sex comedy
November 7 – Buddy comedy
November 8 – Sports comedy
November 9 – Slapstick
November 10 – Spoofs
November 11 – Military comedy
November 12 – SciFi comedy
November 13 – Funny women
November 14 - Screwball comedy
November 15 – Crime/Caper comedy
November 16 – Sketch comedy
November 17 – Musical comedy
November 18 – Stand-up comedy
November 19 – Romantic comedy
November 20 – Comedy duos
November 21 – Black comedy
November 22 – Fantasy comedy
November 23 – Funny brothers
November 24 – Action comedy
November 25 – Workplace comedy
November 26 – The funny pages (Based on a comic strip or comic book)
November 27 – Holiday themed comedy
November 28 – Road/Vacation comedy
November 29 – Animated
November 30 – Funny kids

Veteran's Day is always the 11th (Military comedy day). Thanksgiving is on the 26th this year.

Political comedies is left over from 2012, but since this isn't a big election year, we can lose it.

I'm open to suggestions for new themes. And does anyone want the checklist updated too?
Old 11-04-15, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,155 Likes on 946 Posts

Missed that conversations, but sounds like next year will be a good time for it!
Old 11-04-15, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished Volume 1 of The Little Rascals. I don't think I remember a lot of those early shorts, but they were good. Alfalfa must not have joined the group till later.
Old 11-04-15, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

I think I'm going to get in one or two episodes of The Goodies, tonight, followed by a Norman Wisdom movie, The Square Peg, probably.
Old 11-04-15, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 149 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyMat
Well comedy is different things to different people...
You're right, of course. I need to be better and more tolerant at that, I guess!

To some degree...
Old 11-04-15, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
I think I'm going to get in one or two episodes of The Goodies, tonight, followed by a Norman Wisdom movie, The Square Peg, probably.
Woo!

I think I forgot to get/couldn't afford one if Network's Goodies releases... need to check that, and make sure I have enough.

Or was that one where there were edits or censorship or commentary issues triggering a recall..? Hm. I need to research, but my time has just been lost: new job = no spare time at all..
Old 11-04-15, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I just finished Volume 1 of The Little Rascals. I don't think I remember a lot of those early shorts, but they were good. Alfalfa must not have joined the group till later.
He (Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer) joined the "Our Gang" shorts in 1935. That same year saw Darla Hood, Patsy May, and Eugene "Porky" Lee joining the gang. Buckwheat was already a member but had somehow morphed from a girl to a boy. That's the line up most are familiar with. We saw all of the talkies in my area when I was a kid so I was very familiar with all the shorts and thrilled when they finally came to DVD, even with some of the issues in the first set. Did you know Carl's older brother, Harold (aka Slim) was also in the cast? He was normally in the background and didn't get nearly the screen time of his younger brother. Their first appearance was in the short "Beginner's Luck" in 1935. It's on disc 5 of the set so I'd guess it's also disc 5 of the individual releases.
Old 11-04-15, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
Woo!

I think I forgot to get/couldn't afford one if Network's Goodies releases... need to check that, and make sure I have enough.

Or was that one where there were edits or censorship or commentary issues triggering a recall..? Hm. I need to research, but my time has just been lost: new job = no spare time at all..
I've got -

The Goodies...At Last
The Goodies...At Last a Second Helping
The Goodies...At Last - Back for More, Again
The Goodies: The Complete LWT Series

I've never heard anything about edits or censorship on any of the sets. All the episodes I've watched seem to be complete; not that I would know if they cut out a segment of an episode.

I don't know why Netwerk couldn't release complete series sets of 1-8. There are Goodies episodes available on youtube.
Old 11-05-15, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
He (Carl "Alfalfa" Switzer) joined the "Our Gang" shorts in 1935. That same year saw Darla Hood, Patsy May, and Eugene "Porky" Lee joining the gang. Buckwheat was already a member but had somehow morphed from a girl to a boy. That's the line up most are familiar with. We saw all of the talkies in my area when I was a kid so I was very familiar with all the shorts and thrilled when they finally came to DVD, even with some of the issues in the first set. Did you know Carl's older brother, Harold (aka Slim) was also in the cast? He was normally in the background and didn't get nearly the screen time of his younger brother. Their first appearance was in the short "Beginner's Luck" in 1935. It's on disc 5 of the set so I'd guess it's also disc 5 of the individual releases.
I might get time to watch some of them this month, as I have some on my Netflix queue. I only own volume 1 and 2. Just started volume 2 with 'A Tough Winter'.
Old 11-05-15, 10:49 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm getting more laughs out of Rizzoli & Isles than half the comedies I'm watching. And they don't count!
Old 11-05-15, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really struggled with today's theme, Silent comedy, as part of me wants to watch Mel Brooks' Silent Movie again but another wants to stick with the unopened pile, which has *zero* silent films from which to choose. So... I finally settled on the Laurel and Hardy short in which they first appeared together, "Lucky Dog" (1918). That fulfills the checklist item and lets me get on with the unopened pile with as short a diversion as possible.
Old 11-05-15, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For today's theme, I chose to watch the film Dimension X recommended, The General, on YouTube. It truly is a classic.
Old 11-05-15, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We went to Amazon, searched for "silent shorts" and wound up with 'The Best of the Keystone Kops.'

Which a) doesn't feature the Keystone Kops, b) surely isn't anybody's definition of 'best' and c) ...we switched it off after two shorts, because there seemed to be very little comedy. Or plot. Or anything. Very disappointing "Bangville Police" seemed to be a mild mistaken identity farce about non-exiatent burglars and, for some reason, a baby cow. "Her Painted Hero" made almost no sense, and reading the summary still doesn't make sense. Several people like the lady. They have long, uncaptioned conversations about who-knows-what and someone may or may not end up with her. She's probably an actress. The End. Disappointing.

But, earlier, Harold Lloyd shorts on Hulu were typically jaw-dropping in the stunt departmart. Even if he's safe and there are nets or hidden ledges... it's dangerous and mesmerising.

Last edited by ntnon; 11-05-15 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-05-15, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always considered Mr Bean episodes to be silent comedy.
Old 11-05-15, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tomorrow I'll probably just watch something for the theme. I'm on a hunting and fishing show kick lately. Probably because my dad is taking me on my first hunting trip since I was a kid this weekend. I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 11-05-15, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've got -

The Goodies...At Last
The Goodies...At Last a Second Helping
The Goodies...At Last - Back for More, Again
The Goodies: The Complete LWT Series

I've never heard anything about edits or censorship on any of the sets. All the episodes I've watched seem to be complete; not that I would know if they cut out a segment of an episode.
I just had a brief look, and can't obviously see what I was thinking... I thought the box of the first three releases had an issue with OOP discs or recut releases or something. Aybe not!

I don't know why Netwerk couldn't release complete series sets of 1-8. There are Goodies episodes available on youtube.
Because the earlier series was BBC, and Network lost the BBC licence to 2|entertain...
Old 11-05-15, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 122 Likes on 94 Posts

Tomorrow I'll probably just watch something for the theme. I'm on a hunting and fishing show kick lately. Probably because my dad is taking me on my first hunting trip since I was a kid this weekend. I'm really looking forward to it.
Have fun and dress warmly!

I've been watching shorts from the Slapstick Encyclopedia and knocking some checklist items off. I'm pretty sure I received this a year or two ago for winning the Comedy challenge. It's def. come in handy for the checklist!
Old 11-06-15, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LJG765
Have fun and dress warmly!

I've been watching shorts from the Slapstick Encyclopedia and knocking some checklist items off. I'm pretty sure I received this a year or two ago for winning the Comedy challenge. It's def. come in handy for the checklist!
Thanks.
Old 11-06-15, 09:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I liked Carlos Mencia's tv show ('Mind of Mencia'), but man oh man, his one man shtick (in 'Three Amigos') is so foul and mean - it was one major turn off. The portion with Pablo Francisco though was a riot and his impressions were spot on ...and funny. (lose a fan, gain a fan).

Last edited by Giles; 11-06-15 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-06-15, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just finished watching Knocked Up (2007). That was painful. I watched the "Extended/Unrated" version which seemed to go on forever so I checked the run time for the theatrical release. The "Extended" version is only *4* minutes longer! The film runs at least 30 minutes past its welcome and frankly would be overly long at 90 minutes. I believe I chuckled twice and both times were from comments made by the kids in the film. Do yourself a favor and avoid this one.
Old 11-07-15, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I already stopped theme nights. I just don't care for most sex comedies.
Old 11-07-15, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got an early start to the challenge today. I was browsing the Dish guide, and found F Troop on MeTV. I hadn't seen that show in years, since it was on Nick. Back when it was Nickelodeon.
Old 11-07-15, 05:55 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 701 Likes on 467 Posts

I already stopped theme nights. I just don't care for most sex comedies.
I typically find them worthless trash as well.

I counted The Final Girls as sex comedy since the whole thing was about horror tropes like the virgin living and showing boobs bringing the killer. Freaking fantastic film by the way.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.