Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-15, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Annabelle BD/DVD/UV combo is $0.99 plus ~$2.95 in shipping so under $5 delivered at Overstock.

http://www.overstock.com/Books-Movie...4/product.html
I bit at $3.94 shipped. Thanks.

As far as Universal monsters go, The Creature was always my favorite monster but the best of the movies is The Wolf Man.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Is it just me, or even though commentaries count, does it make a Challenge more fulfilling to move on to something else after watching a movie, then to watch the same movie over again with audio commentary?
Different strokes. Sometimes I will watch the commentary right away or put it on a list and watch the commentary next year, just depends on my mood. Sometimes a good commentary right after a good movie just hits the spot.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 10-04-15 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-04-15, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

I haven't seen Invisible Man in years, but I love them, with my favorites being the original Mummy, and the Wolf Man series.
I love the original Mummy too (though Bride of Frankenstein is by far my favorite of the old Universal horrors). It is very low key, and not at all what you think an old mummy movie would be like (it's actually the 40's Kharis movies that comes to people's mind when they think of old mummy movies). That scene where Karloff awakens still generates some chills for me.

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Watched Creep. It was interesting. I actually believed Mark even though I still see him as Pete because Pete is a creepy guy. The guy filming him, though, one of the worst actors ever. Not believable and I think I could have done a better job. That or the script he was going off of to tell him what to do sucked.
I just saw Creep ... yeah, it was ok (and very short). I guess Mark Duplass did a good job. But while he was creepy, I could never see him as anything remotely threatening or scary. I love how rotten tomatoes lists "romance" as one of the genres for this

I saw the Dr. Moreau documentary. Even though I'd heard many of the stories before, they still crack me up. Highly recommended, especially if stories of movie shoots gone to hell intrigue you. Though kind of sad that the experience drove Stanley out of feature filmmaking. Hardware and Dust Devil aren't perfect, but they have a vision and sense of style.
Old 10-04-15, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it just me, or even though commentaries count, does it make a Challenge more fulfilling to move on to something else after watching a movie, then to watch the same movie over again with audio commentary?
If I decide to listen to a commentary, it's because I really liked what I just saw and I also checked online to see if the commentary is any good. So in this case, I'm still getting something out of it.
Old 10-04-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a bunch of classics all lined up for today's horror movie marathon! Mind-reading crabs, decapitating eyeball monsters, poop zombies and Myrna Loy! Oh what bliss.

Man do I miss nookie.
Old 10-04-15, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I'll second this recommendation. It was a really good movie. I watched Burying the Ex (2014) (also with Anton Yelchin) earlier, and it was pretty good too. It's easily the best thing I've seen from Joe Dante in a decade or so.

I haven't seen her in anything before either, but I see she's in the remake of The Town That Dreaded Sundown so I'll probably check it out later today.
Yeah watched both the films and Anton is just on his game. He's a very enjoyable actor. Yeah, I saw she was in that movie (bought it, probably watched it and don't remember, so might have to check it out again). I'm shocked she has so many people follow her, but I'm taking it is because of TSwift. Glad someone else likes Odd Thomas though book Stormy and movie Stormy are a bit different.

Originally Posted by brainee
I just saw Creep ... yeah, it was ok (and very short). I guess Mark Duplass did a good job. But while he was creepy, I could never see him as anything remotely threatening or scary. I love how rotten tomatoes lists "romance" as one of the genres for this
Total romance lol. About Mark being scary,
Spoiler:
I guess that is why the filmer went back, cause he didn't think Mark could do anything and look what happened lol

Bit disappointed about Unfriended not being the first movie to be shot as a chat room. Watching The Den and looks like the entire movie is going to be filmed on a computer screen chat thing.
Old 10-04-15, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen

Different strokes. Sometimes I will watch the commentary right away or put it on a list and watch the commentary next year, just depends on my mood. Sometimes a good commentary right after a good movie just hits the spot.
Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
If I decide to listen to a commentary, it's because I really liked what I just saw and I also checked online to see if the commentary is any good. So in this case, I'm still getting something out of it.
It could be my depression talking today. Not feeling well always ruins my mood, as I did enjoy Wishmaster this morning, but now I'm not in the mood for horror at all. Gonna try to cheer myself up with some comedy, like Three Stooges, and maybe toss in a Halloween related comedy short or two.
Old 10-04-15, 01:32 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

to those interested Best Buy has the October Olive pre-orders on sale for $12.99 and the Slasher // pre-orders for $10.99 and under (DVD and Blu). Amazon has price matched the bulk of them and continue to do so. Pretty rare to get Olive new releases at $12.99 - some decent horror titles in there.

i just watched Return of the Living Dead part II, so fun - I've never seen part 3, but I plan on ordering it with the More Brains documentary soon. I know there are a couple other Return of... movies, but I've been warned to stay away from those.
Old 10-04-15, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

I had a great double feature last night with a couple of friends. We watched The Babadook, which I really liked, and The Happiness of the Katakuris, though I fell asleep for a few minutes and had to backtrack some this morning.

I really forced myself to revisit Sleepy Hollow for yesterday's theme and was happy I did. I can understand how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of the tea, but they filmed the hell out of that movie. It looks great. I found that I enjoyed it a lot more than the only other time I watched the whole thing, which was way back when it was first in theaters.

Speaking of Christopher Lee, I was shocked that Sleepy Hollow and Corpse Bride were the only qualifying films I have of his on Blu-ray, although The Wicker Man Blu-ray is en route. I have Wicker Man on DVD, and it was the only other qualifying movie in my collection. I was shocked by that, especially since Lee is my favorite Dracula. I really need to do something about that oversight in my collection by next challenge.

How have the Hammer films been treated on Blu-ray? I see some on Amazon. How do the U.S. releases compare to the UK, especially in terms of picture quality?
Old 10-04-15, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

The Hammer films have received far better special features in the UK. WB just released their first four Hammers this week on Blu-ray.

I ended up watching A Plague So Pleasant, a micro-budget indie horror about the aftermath of the zombie apocalypse. In this world loosely modeled after The Walking Dead's apocalypse, the government has made zombies a protected species and they roam the streets. Not a great movie by any stretch but it does get points for creativity.

http://www.doblu.com/2015/10/02/a-pl...easant-review/
Old 10-04-15, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This comes out Tuesday, not sure how I feel about it though...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mQSRVSOB0FU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And this on Halloween

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KQhEvC3znpk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-04-15, 02:06 PM

Received 516 Likes on 372 Posts

Bit disappointed about Unfriended not being the first movie to be shot as a chat room. Watching The Den and looks like the entire movie is going to be filmed on a computer screen chat thing.
The Collingswood Story (2002) was people chatting with webcams. It even got mentioned in some Unfriended reviews. It can be hard to find, but it's a good flick.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-x-DWZjKWz4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-04-15, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, I'm new to this. Do episodes of The X-Files count?
Old 10-04-15, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Had a nice Christopher Lee marathon yesterday morning/afternoon. I started with silent, menacing Lee in Horror of Dracula. Then I shifted to charismatic, jovial Lee in The Wicker Man. Lastly, I settled on "oh hey, it's Christopher Lee" cameo in Sleepy Hollow. I'd seen all three before, and it was nice revisiting them.

In the evening I when out with friends for Indian food and a college staging of Rent, one of my favorite musicals. During dinner, I was trying to explain Hammer horror films to a group of people who'd never seen them. The opening of Horror of Dracula certainly sums them up: a well-lit yet grimy crypt, a close up on Dracula's name on his coffin, and then garish, bright red blood splattering.
Old 10-04-15, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by massivemoviefan
The final arbiter of whether something counts is if you feel it is horror.
Old 10-04-15, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I'll second this recommendation. It was a really good movie. I watched Burying the Ex (2014) (also with Anton Yelchin) earlier, and it was pretty good too. It's easily the best thing I've seen from Joe Dante in a decade or so.
Enjoyed Burying the Ex, especially for the trademark Dante film references throughout. Although the similarities to Life After Beth were pretty staggering.

Also enjoyed The Hole. Might be in the minority on that one.

I usually distance the commentary from the film by a couple of weeks.

I saw the Dr. Moreau documentary. Even though I'd heard many of the stories before, they still crack me up. Highly recommended, especially if stories of movie shoots gone to hell intrigue you. Though kind of sad that the experience drove Stanley out of feature filmmaking. Hardware and Dust Devil aren't perfect, but they have a vision and sense of style.
Excellent doc.

And maybe old news, but he's currently attached to direct a feature film adaptation of Lovecraft's The Colour out of Space.

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
And this on Halloween

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KQhEvC3znpk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Last I heard it had been delayed until 2016. Is this recent?
Old 10-04-15, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
The Collingswood Story (2002) was people chatting with webcams. It even got mentioned in some Unfriended reviews. It can be hard to find, but it's a good flick.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-x-DWZjKWz4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Interesting. I thought it was a unique idea, but I guess not now.
Old 10-04-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by massivemoviefan
Certainly episodes like "Squeeze", "Tooms", "Home", "Ice", etc... are horror, even if the series as a whole is not.
Old 10-04-15, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Certainly episodes like "Squeeze", "Tooms", "Home", "Ice", etc... are horror, even if the series as a whole is not.
Thanks. I'm doing a re-watch at the moment in anticipation of the new series in January, but I'll only count episodes in the challenge which 'feel' like horror to me.
Old 10-04-15, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Chad
Last I heard it had been delayed until 2016. Is this recent?
I just got that off the imdb page so your info is probably more accurate.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 10-04-15 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-04-15, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Total romance lol. About Mark being scary,
Spoiler:
I guess that is why the filmer went back, cause he didn't think Mark could do anything and look what happened lol
Though that final scene,
Spoiler:
with Josef in the Peachfuzz mask sneaking up on Aaron with an ax had me giggling. Not sure if that was the intent of the filmmakers

Has anyone seen The House at the End of Time? I just watched that and really really liked it. Billed as Venezuela's first horror movie, though like Pan's Labyrinth horror is probably not the most appropriate categorization. It's one of those movies best gone into knowing as little as possible. Just go into it with an open mind, especially when it comes to straying from the haunted house formula that it seem to start with. This is a good counter-example to people who say that horror movies don't have redeeming values, being thought-provoking, emotional, and even uplifting.
Old 10-04-15, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All it took was to step away from the challenge for a few hours. While I can't guarantee I'll watch nothing but horror tonight, as the way I approach challenges now, is if something good catches my eye while browsing Dish or Sling TV, I'll watch that, but a good portion will be horror. I learned last year during this challenge in fact, it is easier to keep the fun in the challenges if you don't limit yourself to nothing but challenge eligible material during the month.
Old 10-04-15, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Has anyone seen The House at the End of Time? I just watched that and really really liked it. Billed as Venezuela's first horror movie, though like Pan's Labyrinth horror is probably not the most appropriate categorization. It's one of those movies best gone into knowing as little as possible. Just go into it with an open mind, especially when it comes to straying from the haunted house formula that it seem to start with. This is a good counter-example to people who say that horror movies don't have redeeming values, being thought-provoking, emotional, and even uplifting.
I watched it with my movie group last year, and we all enjoyed it quite a bit. I agree that the less known going into the film, the better.
Old 10-04-15, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
I've got a few more for you... HorrorHound's mini feature on the Monster VHS also included:

Island of Lost Souls (1932) [Criterion]
The Monster & the Girl

I've also included in my sub-list as possibilities-worthy-of-consideration/investigation:

House of Fear
The Cat & the Canary (1939) with Bob Hope
The Uninvited (Criterion) (the same list said "The Unseen" is a followup)
The Cat Creeps
Murder in the Blue Room
Secret Beyond the Door
Curucu, Beast of the Amazon

I seem to remember debate over whether (m)any of the Rathbone Sherlock Holmes' should be on the list as as-"horror"-as-some - and that may be more valid now that Spider-Woman is striking back....
You have to be very careful as some "Universal" titles are really Paramount titles MCA Inc. purchased in 1958 when Paramount sold 764 of its pre-1948 films. In the early 60s MCA Inc. took over Universal and was later sold with the MCA name being dropped in favor of calling the studio Universal Studios Inc.

I'd love to include Island of Lost Souls (1932) but it's a Paramount title, as is the wonderful The Cat & the Canary with Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard, as are The Monster & the Girl, The Uninvited, and The Unseen. There are quite a few more Paramount "horror" titles which could be included if I were not limiting my list to only those films produced by Universal.

While produced by Universal, The Cat Creeps is Mystery, House of Fear is Crime/Mystery/Thriller, Murder in the Blue Room is Comedy/Mystery/Musical, Secret Beyond the Door is Drama/Film-Noir/Mystery/Romance/Thriller, and Curucu, Beast of the Amazon, even though having a "monster," is a adventure film.

And yes, several of the Sherlock Holmes films *could* be included as they actually have horror genre tags. But there's a part of me that just can't put those in a Universal Horror Film list. I struggled with including Tower of London as well as Night Key, but as I included others which are on horror film collections, as they are, I went ahead but added the qualifiers like on those other non-horror films I included.

I actually have a bit of a problem including the Inner Sanctum films *but*, in spite of them not feeling like horrors, they *do* have horror tags. Honestly, if I'm going to keep them I probably should add the Holmes films...

Last edited by BobO'Link; 10-04-15 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-04-15, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Yeah watched both the films and Anton is just on his game. He's a very enjoyable actor. Yeah, I saw she was in that movie (bought it, probably watched it and don't remember, so might have to check it out again). I'm shocked she has so many people follow her, but I'm taking it is because of TSwift. Glad someone else likes Odd Thomas though book Stormy and movie Stormy are a bit different.
I haven't read the book, but I plan on keeping an eye out for a cheap copy so I can read it eventually. I assume it was in the book, maybe, but the scene near the end
Spoiler:
where Odd jumps in the van that's about to explode and drives it away is exactly like a scene I saw recently in some other movie. I wish I could remember what that other film was. It's bugging the crap out of me.

Enjoyed Burying the Ex, especially for the trademark Dante film references throughout. Although the similarities to Life After Beth were pretty staggering.
Haven't seen Life After Beth (not sure if I'd heard of it before or not), but I'll be sure and check it out.
Haven't seen that one either. I'll get to it, eventually.
Old 10-04-15, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love The Hole (no relation to my moniker )

What is this Arrow sale that people keep mentioning? Is this something that happens on their web store? I'm new to purchasing Arrow releases, but so far I'm pretty darn impressed. What they've done with Walerian Borowczyk's films have been nothing short of amazing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.