Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-15, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Came home to a nice surprise tonight. House of Usher on MGM HD. They're having horror movies at midnight every night in October. It's such a great thing is what I was thinking while watching this movie. October rocks!
Old 10-02-15, 12:52 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 11th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Started things off with A Nightmare on Elm Street tonight, it just never gets old!
Old 10-02-15, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Just couldn't get into Mark Duplass as a "Creep". Every time he was onscreen I kept thinking of Pete from The League. A failed experiment, IMO, and probably due to his brother not being involved.

I enjoyed it. Usually I prefer the "less is more" approach like Willow Creek took, but they showed the creature in all its glory, and it didn't even remotely come across as hokey. Really starting to become an Eduardo Sanchez fan.
Interesting to hear about Creep. It's got what, a 95% on tomatoes. Going to give it a try, but I do agree, every time I see him, I do think of Pete. Type casting FTW lol
Old 10-02-15, 01:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Shocked how many people enjoy It Follows. Did the plot and the way the characters handled situations not piss anyone off?
I liked It Follows, but that annoyed me too. I liked it because the tension and atmosphere were very good and there were some genuinely creepy parts. But my biggest complaints were the total lack of logic - not just in what the characters did or didn't do, but the lack of logic surrounding the 'creature'. They seemed to change the rules of how it behaved only for a shock or to keep you on your toes, and I think they could've done this without so many plot holes.

And regarding Creep; I love Mark Duplass, but have never seen The League coz it's not my thing, and I thought he was the best thing about Creep. I was really looking forward to it and I just thought it was ok; it didn't really seem to make any sense and was a bit uneven. But I just think Mark Duplass is great in everything and he did creepy well.
Old 10-02-15, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

If anybody else is doing daily video reviews on youtube, let me know so I can subscribe. I just got done with Seth's (Celluloidterror)

Originally Posted by JOE29
Came home to a nice surprise tonight. House of Usher on MGM HD. They're having horror movies at midnight every night in October. It's such a great thing is what I was thinking while watching this movie. October rocks!
Yeah, they got Twins of Evil (A personal favorite) airing tomorrow. I probably won't have time to revisit it this month, but it'll just be a cool feeling to know that it'll be sitting in the DVR.
Old 10-02-15, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mightysparks
I liked It Follows, but that annoyed me too. I liked it because the tension and atmosphere were very good and there were some genuinely creepy parts. But my biggest complaints were the total lack of logic - not just in what the characters did or didn't do, but the lack of logic surrounding the 'creature'. They seemed to change the rules of how it behaved only for a shock or to keep you on your toes, and I think they could've done this without so many plot holes.

And regarding Creep; I love Mark Duplass, but have never seen The League coz it's not my thing, and I thought he was the best thing about Creep. I was really looking forward to it and I just thought it was ok; it didn't really seem to make any sense and was a bit uneven. But I just think Mark Duplass is great in everything and he did creepy well.
Yeah and the pool scene, wow.
Spoiler:
Bitches, you KNOW how strong and smart IT is, you really think IT would fall for that?

Shocked you like Mark and not seen The League. Would have never known about him if it was not for that show. What did you think of The Lazarus Effect? Did you like him in that as well?

Originally Posted by cwileyy
Started things off with A Nightmare on Elm Street tonight, it just never gets old!
Wish I could say the same thing. Being someone who loves actual acting, Nancy (Heather L) is terrible...
Old 10-02-15, 03:35 AM

Shocked you like Mark and not seen The League. Would have never known about him if it was not for that show. What did you think of The Lazarus Effect? Did you like him in that as well?
I tried watching the pilot for The League, but in films or in real life, as soon as someone starts talking about sport my brain just switches off. From what I saw, it wasn't really my kind of humour either. I didn't like The Lazarus Effect, but I liked him in it. I've liked him in everything that I've seen him in and I like all the Duplass Bro's films I've seen as well. I got into them as directors first because I really loved Baghead and so I got really into mumblecore too. But I also like Mark as an actor and I think he has really great screen presence, so I'll [at least try to] watch anything he's in (also I find him attractive so that helps )
Old 10-02-15, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Started this morning with an an episode of 100 Years of Horror. I'm enjoying working my way through the series. Plan to watch mostly horror today, so got an early start as soon as I woke up.
Old 10-02-15, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I assume watching the Horror Hall of Fame counts as a title? I think it's 90 mins.
Old 10-02-15, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I started my morning off with After School Massacre....somehow worse then Zombeaver.

sadly i have enough time to finish this up and then head into work.
Old 10-02-15, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wish I could say the same thing. Being someone who loves actual acting, Nancy (Heather L) is terrible...
There are so many things wrong with that statement, I'll just let it be.

I finished the four Critters movies yesterday (only seeing the first one before). I was surprised how enjoyable they were. I think the trick is owning the comedy from the beginning.

I also have to say I cannot believe every Critters movie is rated PG-13. Not just blood or nudity-wise, but there are some horrific images that even made me a little squeamish.
Old 10-02-15, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

For today's theme movie, I chose The Beyond on Hulu. It had some good jump scares, and a suitable creep factor. All in all, I think it was a decent movie.
Old 10-02-15, 07:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Woke up to bank fraud, so life is keeping with the horror theme. Luckily, my bank is awesome and already refunded most of the stolen money.

Yesterday, I watched Mother of Tears, which I liked until they got to the demonic, underground showdown at the end.

Deadly Blessing was a first watch from Wes Craven. I found it entertaining, but probably because I found the horse and buggy/Amish vibe thing an interesting background for a horror film.

Cooties was awesome. I love horror comedies and this was great. Well known stars, highly quotable, disrespectful kids that go from obnoxious to terrifying. Everything worked well for me here.

Rewatched From Dusk Till Dawn. I'm not sure I ever saw it again after my initial viewing in the late 90s. Holds up very well, despite almost 20 years. That very last scene, perfect.

Watched Deep Rising for the ocean checklist item. Overall, pretty standard, boring stuff. The monster looked sort of cool, but I never cared about any of the characters or what happened to them.

Started The Happiness of the Katakuris, but that movie is super weird and I was tired, so I paused it about 20 minutes in. I'll get back to it shortly.

Really pleased about my pace, but all the kids were at school yesterday. My viewing will suffer until Tuesday when they all go back again.
Old 10-02-15, 07:43 AM

Because of a discussion that has come up on my forum, I'm curious to get opinions from people who actually like horror; why do you think people who don't like horror are so anti-horror? And I don't mean people who just don't like gore or to be scared. I mean the people who think horror is just worthless trash. I don't understand how people can be willing to analyse and try to understand everything except horror films...
Old 10-02-15, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
There are so many things wrong with that statement, I'll just let it be.

I finished the four Critters movies yesterday (only seeing the first one before). I was surprised how enjoyable they were. I think the trick is owning the comedy from the beginning.

I also have to say I cannot believe every Critters movie is rated PG-13. Not just blood or nudity-wise, but there are some horrific images that even made me a little squeamish.
I may have to plow through these today after work...either than or continue my journey through F13th.
Old 10-02-15, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Last night I rewatched Gremlins and watched Gremlins 2: The New Batch for the first time. The first film is obviously a classic, and I don't have much to say about it, except that I really like Frances Lee McCain's big scene as the mom being harassed by gremlins. It strikes the perfect balance between funny and scary, and I like how resourceful she is.

Despite it's reputation, I wasn't expecting the lunacy of the sequel. It starts off being a satire of corporate culture and modernization, but abandons that to be zany and overly meta. The gremlins mutate; Hulk Hogan breaks the fourth wall; there's a musical number; Robert Prosky spends the entire movie dressed like Al Lewis; people have last names like Catheter and Bloodstone. It's just a mess. I did enjoy some of the endless cameos and bigger character actors showing up for bit parts; my favorites were Kathleen Freeman as Microwave Marge and Henry Gibson as a smoking guy.

Afterward, I decided to switch gears and watched The Quatermass Xperiment, a 1955 sci-fi horror film about a space travel experiment going awry and unleashing an alien monster onto Britain. It's quite creepy and just my cup of tea. It made me think of First Man into Space and The Thing From Another World. Brian Donlevy plays the titular professor, and there are definite parallels between his cold, obsessive pursuit of progress and the horrific alien.
Old 10-02-15, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

I was hoping I could watch Monster Squad again with my son after I watched it (I was kind of vetting it for him as it has been years since I watched it) but forgot some of the kind-of-weird things that made it PG-13. Swears and slurs mostly. Too bad. He's still a few years off.

Is ok...I didn't want to explain what being a virgin meant either!
Old 10-02-15, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

What made you like Absentia? I thought it was pretty overrated personally.
I didn't know anything about it going into it, but went with it when a friend recommended it. I thought the sisters were really believable and it felt like a really good mystery. It reminded me of a long episode of the X-Files with some really creepy moments. I'm not raving, but it was one of the better ones that I've seen in the past year.
Old 10-02-15, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Just couldn't get into Mark Duplass as a "Creep". Every time he was onscreen I kept thinking of Pete from The League. A failed experiment, IMO, and probably due to his brother not being involved.

I enjoyed it. Usually I prefer the "less is more" approach like Willow Creek took, but they showed the creature in all its glory, and it didn't even remotely come across as hokey. Really starting to become an Eduardo Sanchez fan.
I never watched The Leauge, so it worked for me... he fit the description.
Old 10-02-15, 09:36 AM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I started collecting horror soundtracks on vinyl over 2 years ago. This is the first October I have enough to play a different one for each day of the month, so I'll be adding them to my list this year. First one of the month is The Equestrian Vortex, which is the fictional film within Berberian Sound Studio. Creepy soundtrack that would work well in a haunted house.

Old 10-02-15, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Congrats to Mightysparks for getting her list made official on Icheck. Saw it today in the blog.
Old 10-02-15, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

So far Blood Beach, which is on Youtube, is a challenge highlight for me - it's got a novel setup, some 80s cheesiness, and John Saxon with Burt Young hamming it up as hard boiled detectives.
Originally Posted by mightysparks
B...why do you think people who don't like horror are so anti-horror? And I don't mean people who just don't like gore or to be scared. I mean the people who think horror is just worthless trash...
Any time someone ventures to offer an unsolicited opinion about what another person enjoys it's likely a sign they are projecting their own neediness onto others.

However... as much as I enjoy horror movies, they are worthless trash. They're morally questionable often challenging viewers with social taboos just to be provocative. There are other genres that try to offer more substance or uplifting messages and produce more of a 'feel good' vibe that is more functional - some people need more reassurance from society (even through media). Also depending on where someone "is" they might be more sensitive to the 'devil may care' attitude horror material takes towards death (zombies may not be so cool if your spouse just died).

Horror provides a 'fun' diversion but often pushes the envelope to where it's more a guilty pleasure than something I'd share with my family because so much of it can be immature, over the top gorey, or profanity filled. This isn't necessarily unique to horror movies; many action or drama movies are even more so mindless but maybe take a less challenging approach. For example, I watched Houses That October Built and think it had a lot of subtext that made the film more 'meta' than the shaky cam jumping and cussing that filled too much of it's run time (not sure if I just read too much into it) but there were some eyerolling moments with the characters sitting around smoking pot (and overselling the high at that) or every other word being a cuss word to the point it seemed dismissing (this isn't even to mention any gore or scary imagery).

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-02-15 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-02-15, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

I really tried to get into American Horror Story Murder House but just found it to be so boring.

Cooties, on the other hand, what an awesome flick!
Old 10-02-15, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
So far Blood Beach, which is on Youtube, is a challenge highlight for me - it's got a novel setup, some 80s cheesiness, and John Saxon with Burt Young hamming it up as hard boiled detectives.
You've added something to my "to watch" list. I haven't seen that film in 30+ years!
Old 10-02-15, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
I was hoping I could watch Monster Squad again with my son after I watched it (I was kind of vetting it for him as it has been years since I watched it) but forgot some of the kind-of-weird things that made it PG-13. Swears and slurs mostly. Too bad. He's still a few years off.

Is ok...I didn't want to explain what being a virgin meant either!
How old? I remember seeing that flick when I was about nine and loved it but, as some may say, times are different these days for kids and these types of flicks.

I admit, even the back then me, was like DAMN at the "GIVE ME THE AMULET YOU BITCH" part.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.