DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

7th Annual Criterion Challenge - Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-15, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: 7th Annual Criterion Challenge - Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Edmond O'Brien's centennial is this Thursday, Sept. 10. I wanted to watch some O'Brien films to honor it, but the only O'Brien film I can find on Criterion is THE KILLERS (1946), which I watched last night on Blu-ray. Great movie, which I've seen a number of times before, but it still seemed fresh to me last night. There were several scenes I hadn't remembered, including the one where O'Brien goes back to Brentwood to search the Swede's room, only to encounter one of the other gang members there with the same idea. This shot is from that scene:

The Blu-ray comes with the Don Siegel-directed remake which stars Lee Marvin and Ronald Reagan(!).

I'm gonna watch more O'Brien films before Thursday, but I wonder if there are any others that fit this challenge.
Doesn't look like there are any others in the CC or laserdisc lot, so pick whichever you like. I'd recommend Seven Days in May or Fantastic Voyage, myself..
Old 09-08-15, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Ebert can suck a lemon.
Not without significant difficulty.
Old 09-08-15, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
I certainly see your point, and if the film were made today I'd probably be on your side of the fence. However, with the film being essentially the first of its kind (an ethnographic study that has a narrative), I have to cut it as much slack as it needs. As Flaherty's widow said in the short interview on the disc, there was no such thing as a documentary film back then. It was seen as, first and foremost, a commercial film designed to make money.

As the rules of documentary filmmaking became codified (through the work of John Grierson and others), the documentary slowly began to take the form that it now has. Nanook didn't have that heritage to either guide it or to constrict it. To judge Nanook under today's rules is unfair to the film. Whether it conforms to anyone's idea of documentary, or whether it's simply an adventure tale, it's still a fascinating piece of cinema.

I like what Roger Ebert had to say about it:

"The film is not technically sophisticated; how could it be, with one camera, no lights, freezing cold, and everyone equally at the mercy of nature? But it has an authenticity that prevails over any complaints that some of the sequences were staged. If you stage a walrus hunt, it still involves hunting a walrus, and the walrus hasn't seen the script. What shines through is the humanity and optimism of the Inuit. One of the film's titles describes them as "happy-go-lucky," and although this seems almost cruel, given the harsh terms of their survival, they do indeed seem absorbed by their lives and content in them, which is more than many of us can say."
You talking about Nanook of the North piqued my interest, so I looked and found it on YouTube. Will probably watch it sometime this month.
Old 09-08-15, 07:49 AM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
You talking about Nanook of the North piqued my interest, so I looked and found it on YouTube. Will probably watch it sometime this month.
Shado, once you do, let me know what you think.
Old 09-08-15, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Shado, once you do, let me know what you think.
Sure thing.

I started today's viewing with an episode of Fishing with John on Hulu.
Old 09-08-15, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Skipped Genocide last night because I was too tired for subtitles, so I went with 12 Angry Men. Watched the tv play first and then did the movie.
Old 09-08-15, 04:28 PM

Skipped Genocide last night because I was too tired for subtitles, so I went with 12 Angry Men. Watched the tv play first and then did the movie.
Did/Do you prefer one to the other?

Brute Force is indeed both brutal and forceful...
Old 09-08-15, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just found an example when the Dish Guide can be wrong. Taxi Driver was supposed to be on El Rey Network, but it was some vampire movie instead.
Old 09-08-15, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ntnon
Did/Do you prefer one to the other?
I'd say I slightly prefer the TV play. I liked the juror that was the equivalent to Fonda slightly better. Even being 30 minutes shorter than the movie, I don't feel like I missed anything the movie had to offer.
Old 09-08-15, 07:33 PM

I'd say I slightly prefer the TV play. I liked the juror that was the equivalent to Fonda slightly better. Even being 30 minutes shorter than the movie, I don't feel like I missed anything the movie had to offer.
I tend to agree with most of that - and don't we also see the accused's silhouette in the TV version? - although the way I usually put it is that I broadly prefer the characters of the TV version but the actors of the film. And since a story hinges on its characters... TV just edges the film.

This is one of my favourite CC discs (helps that it's a great film, too) almost solely for the TV version. Never heard of it until I got the disc(s); now invaluable.
Old 09-08-15, 07:38 PM

Observation: Anyone else noticed how many Naked... films are in the Collection...?
Old 09-08-15, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I tend to agree with most of that - and don't we also see the accused's silhouette in the TV version? - although the way I usually put it is that I broadly prefer the characters of the TV version but the actors of the film. And since a story hinges on its characters... TV just edges the film.

This is one of my favourite CC discs (helps that it's a great film, too) almost solely for the TV version. Never heard of it until I got the disc(s); now invaluable.
I don't remember a silhouette from the TV version but they sure showed the face of the accused in the movie long enough.

I didn't like how the last holdout in the TV version finally changed. I rewound it a few times but it just sounds like he screams some sort of gibberish word. Right before that he was talking about how it's going to be a hung jury, so if I hadn't already watched the movie, I wouldn't have been sure he changed his vote. In fact, I'm still not 100% sure it's not a hung jury because it ends right after the judge asks the jury for their decision.
Old 09-09-15, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Started early today by finishing the supplemental material for Armageddon
. I was just going through them a little at a time.
Old 09-09-15, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched Genocide last night. I'll probably ditch this set. As with the others, it had a decent enough idea but then slowly went bad towards the end.

So a movie about venomous insects that upon biting, turns it's victim insane before they finally die turns into
Spoiler:
an anti-war film where a crazy Jew lady that escaped the Holocaust somehow decided to create these insects to kill off all humanity. She doesn't care if she dies as well until the insects get loose and she's stuck in a room with them. At that point her story changes. Then the US blows up the Japanese islands with an H bomb but it doesn't matter because the insects all survived and so did the lady that took a small boat off the island not too long before the bomb blew up everything.
Old 09-09-15, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Over Labor Day weekend, I took some extra time off work and visited a friend in Kentucky. We were so busy that the only films we watched was Mommie Dearest and Area 51. Before she moved away, we liked to get together and watch camp classics as well as what we called "Netflix dreck".

Before I left on my vacation, I watched Some Like It Hot which is a film I didn't care for the first time I saw it. The film topped many critics' lists, and I watched it with a friend who was working his way through several AFI lists. He hated it, and I didn't find it very funny at all. However, I've since been exposed to different forms of humor over the years, and Wilder's masterpiece has become one of my favorite comedies. I especially find Jack Lemmon's character and performance to be delightful. He's got this nervous mania that I enjoy.
Old 09-09-15, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I started Tanner '88 today. The series interested me, as political satire always interested me.
Old 09-09-15, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I started Tanner '88 today. The series interested me, as political satire always interested me.
Let me know what you think. I watched it several years ago when I was working my way through Robert Altman's filmography. As a Sex and the City fan, it was fun to see Cynthia Nixon. Also, there was a followup called Tanner on Tanner that's worth checking out after you finish the series.
Old 09-09-15, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I finally got my first batch of movies from the library today so I'm eager to delve in. 12 Angry Men, My dinner with Andre, Tootsie, Notorious and Foreign Correspondent are the ones I received today. I'm eager to watch Notorious and Foreign Correspondent as they are the last 2 Hitchcock films that qualify for the challenge that I haven't watched yet. I spent last challenge focusing on him so it'll be nice to finish these off. I still have a couple more of his that don't qualify for Criterion that I should watch (Rear Window, for example) but I'll worry about those later.

I'm really not trying to finish the check list this month, I decided. I decided to just get movies that I have an interest in seeing that I have not watched before or have watched long ago where I don't remember a lot about them.

I just wanted to add that I saw Nanook of the North last year and enjoyed it. You really do have to know it's the first of it's kind. It's kind of like watching propaganda. You know that there is a definite slant, but still has a good reason for being and has merit anyway.
Old 09-09-15, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Let me know what you think. I watched it several years ago when I was working my way through Robert Altman's filmography. As a Sex and the City fan, it was fun to see Cynthia Nixon. Also, there was a followup called Tanner on Tanner that's worth checking out after you finish the series.
I've only finished the first episode so far, but it's shaping up to be an enjoyable watch.
Old 09-09-15, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just finished watching 12 Angry Men and really enjoyed it. The time went by quite quickly. I thought I had seen the movie, but after watching it, I'm pretty sure I saw a play version, but not this movie version. Well worth the watch if anyone is on the fence about it.
Old 09-09-15, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by LJG765
I just finished watching 12 Angry Men and really enjoyed it. The time went by quite quickly. I thought I had seen the movie, but after watching it, I'm pretty sure I saw a play version, but not this movie version. Well worth the watch if anyone is on the fence about it.
If you have the actual CC discs, do try and get to some of the extra bits, because they're also fascinating.
Old 09-10-15, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you have the actual CC discs, do try and get to some of the extra bits, because they're also fascinating.
I do! I was planning on watching the interviews tomorrow most likely. I was watching with someone else tonight so skipped them for Hitchcock's Notorious.

While a good film, not my favorite of his. Probably in the top five, though. Towards the end, it was a little frustrating watching all the times Alicia is treated like a commodity by every man around her, including Devlin. But, I do like the closing scene quite bit.
Old 09-10-15, 11:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

can I watch my UK blu of The Brood and count it?
Old 09-10-15, 11:21 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
can I watch my UK blu of The Brood and count it?
Yes. The film is what counts, not the medium.
Old 09-10-15, 11:22 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yes. The film is what counts, not the medium.
I only ask cause it's not actually out ...yet. but cool - thanks!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.