Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Sixth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2015

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-15, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The Sixth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2015

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I finished S3 of Chuck a few minutes ago and am moving on to the Historical Challenge. While I didn't watch *any* episodes of The Man From U.N.C.L.E. I did manage to get in seasons of I Spy and Mission Impossible with a couple of seasons of Chuck. I also got in all the spy related movies I had lined up so overall it was a productive and successful challenge.
I had a fun challenge too. Just now finished an episode of Emeril's Florida, where he was in South Walton, and made a Red Snapper Salad in the end, on Cooking Channel on Sling TV. I'll still watch more today. Maybe some stuff will be double credit for the Historical Challenge too.
Old 05-31-15, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: The Sixth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2015

I'm not going to hit my goal of 31 films, but I've watched all the films in the "Ford at Fox" set, and all but one of the DVDs (the International Version of The Iron Horse - I might watch that next month if I get the time and I'm in the mood).

I'll probably do the prize drawing just after midnight, as I usually do, so check your PMs. I'll also announce the names in this thread, so everyone will know when it's done. Good luck, everyone.
Old 05-31-15, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
42ND STREET (1933) and GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933 are the other really good ones, although I have a soft spot for DAMES (1935) because of its upbeat take on "I Only Have Eyes for You," which was redone as a much slower doo-wop hit in the 1950s.
Thanks for the recs! Gold Diggers has been on my radar for a little while, good to know that it's a nice watch.

I watched "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" last night. This is one of my favorite movies. I never get tired of it. Gene Wilder is so creepy during the boat scene-it's my second favorite of the movie. First being when he lets them into the chocolate room. Mmm, chocolate. I love some of his and Grandpa Joe's one liners. "She has more gas than a politician!"

I upgraded versions a few years ago when they came out with that big boxed set. I love it. First, the BR quality is awesome. They remastered it or cleaned it up somehow and there is zero grain (I know in some cases, you want it, but not with these colors!) and the colors just pop. I also love all the goodies in the box set. The book, the pencil case. It's one of my favorites. Totally recommend it if you're a fan of the movie.

I'm a bit disappointed in myself that I only got through 10 movies this month for the challenge, but I just haven't been watching as much this winter/spring as I usually do. Planning on taking the next month up to ramp up for my favorite two challenges (that I'm hosting both this year! Come one, come all!) of Sci-fi/Fantasy and Animation.

I may or may not get to another today, we'll see how my motivation is a bit later in the day.
Old 05-31-15, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The three winners, chosen by random.org, are

ross_r
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
SnapDawg

Check your PMs.

You must have a US mailing address to receive your prize. Any prize opportunities not claimed by midnight 6/3/15 will be re-gifted on Thursday morning.
Old 06-01-15, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Congrats to the winners, and thanks for a great challenge Dimension. I had a lot of fun.
Old 06-01-15, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Man! Where did the month go??? What a great challenge month for me! I loved my theme and did really well, watching 68 items in total, including 24 full-length films. I exposed myself to many TV series that I had never watched before, like Numb3rs, The Mentalist, Army Wives and Fargo. I was reminded of how cool The Electric Company was when I was a kid, and learned quite a bit about it that I didn't know and enjoyed seeing Morgan Freeman in one of his very first acting jobs.

The most surprising thing? I NEVER ended up watching Nightcrawler! It was one of the reasons I chose to do the Gyllenhaal challenge in the first place. I wanted to watch it with one of my sons, but we could never coordinate our schedules. It's one of the main reasons that...

I'm keeping this challenge going! I'm still enjoying it and there are still a number of things I want to watch and have ordered from libraries outside of my city that haven't arrived yet.

So, thanks Dimention X, for hosting... PLEASE don't stop hosting it! One of the funnest things I do all year is try and think of what my next one will be.
Old 06-01-15, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Oh! And I LOVED Donnie Darko, which I watched twice, including the Director's Cut (which I bought after watching the Theatrical Cut that I got from the library). It wasn't even the story so much as it was the director's style and Jake's amazing performance. It had a GREAT cast, without a bad performance in the bunch. It was a great movie. Might watch it again during SciFi month.
Old 06-01-15, 07:49 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Awesome month, it was nice to not have any of my watches feel like a 'chore', but just watched and unwatched gems from my favorite shelves. Watched about a dozen films and no TV, a little less than I expected.
Old 06-01-15, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Thanks to Dimension X for hosting!

Based on Green Lantern: Emerald Knights and Justice League War the quality of DC animation is top notch (although I wasn't enjoying Batman: Gotham Knights).

I really enjoyed Netflix's Daredevil show; better than I expected.
Old 06-01-15, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Awesome month, it was nice to not have any of my watches feel like a 'chore'
I had a good month until yesterday when I hit a wall of Roy Rogers films that completely drained me from wanting to watch anymore westerns, so I switched to the Historical Challenge.

As you can see from my avatar, I'm happy about winning a prize.
Old 06-01-15, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

Thanks for running the challenge, DX! This was my second-highest total, and the highest involved a number of TV titles so this might be my longest challenge in terms of length. I saw a lot of great stuff, including some important first-time watches. I'm a bit disappointed that I only made it halfway through my Fred-Ginger marathon, but I might just finish it off since film #9 would count toward the historical challenge.

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Actually, I'd be all for a musicals challenge. This month I've watched The Last Five Years twice as well as Into the Woods and parts of Les Miserable. I'm not sure I go a month without popping in a musical - at least as background noise.
I watched Last Five Years (only once though) for this challenge as well! I'm a big fan of Jason Robert Brown, and I like both Kendrick and Jordan. Not an easy watch but really good.

Originally Posted by LJG765
I do like the music! Julie Andrews is one of my favorite actresses. I haven't seen every movie she's made, but I've never seen a movie with her in it that I didn't like. I've been thinking about popping in the "Princess Diaries" soon just because I love her in them. She makes a great queen. If I was thinking, I should have picked up "Victor/Victoria" which I've never watched for this challenge, too. Maybe I'll do it anyway.

Just finished watching "State Fair" the 1945 version. Loved the costumes. The music was alright. Got a bit hokey in parts, but I was pretty much expecting that. I'd watch it again. Though, I think that I'll watch the version with Pat Boone first, just so I've watched them both. Maybe next year!
You haven't watched V/V for this challenge, or you haven't watched it at all? Definitely worth seeing. I rewatched it recently.

The 1945 State Fair would qualify for the historical challenge, but I'm not sure the Pat Boone version would. I think I've only seen it once.

Originally Posted by LJG765
This may be the first Busby Berkeley film I've watched! --Nope, just checked, this is my second, "Million Dollar Mermaid" was the first and they both do have big production numbers.
I need to watch some Esther Williams!

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
42ND STREET (1933) and GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933 are the other really good ones, although I have a soft spot for DAMES (1935) because of its upbeat take on "I Only Have Eyes for You," which was redone as a much slower doo-wop hit in the 1950s.
I watched a few Busby films for the Oscar challenge, and other than 42nd Street they tend to run together, but I should watch more. Not sure I've ever seen the Gold Diggers that's getting so much conversation here.
Old 06-01-15, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pacaway
I'm keeping this challenge going! I'm still enjoying it and there are still a number of things I want to watch and have ordered from libraries outside of my city that haven't arrived yet.
I'm continuing my challenge also. I'm lucky with mine though because John Ford made so many westerns, so I can list what I watch in my Historical Challenge list. I'll probably throw in a couple of non-Ford films that I happen to watch too.
Originally Posted by pacaway
So, thanks Dimention X, for hosting... PLEASE don't stop hosting it! One of the funnest things I do all year is try and think of what my next one will be.
Thanks. We'll see how I feel about that next year.
Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Thanks to Dimension X for hosting!

Based on Green Lantern: Emerald Knights and Justice League War the quality of DC animation is top notch (although I wasn't enjoying Batman: Gotham Knights).

I really enjoyed Netflix's Daredevil show; better than I expected.
Are those the only three DC animated movies you've seen? It's generally agreed on the internet that DC's animated stuff is tops. I have two Batman films from Netflix sitting here I'll probably watch tonight. I haven't seen Daredevil yet (or any other new Marvel TV show). I'm planning to watch it soon, and maybe watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. season one during the Sci-fi Challenge.
Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
As you can see from my avatar, I'm happy about winning a prize.
Take your time picking out your prize.

That's one down. Two more responses to go.

Last edited by Dimension X; 06-01-15 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-01-15, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I may continue my challenge as well. Some days I just feel like watching what I want.
Old 06-01-15, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

My grand foreign film/television challenge ended with 47 entries. I wasn't able to reach any of my set goals with the exception of finishing my Jacques Demy box set. I'm very close to finishing the Martin Scorsese's World Cinema Project set, but I was never in the mood to watch the last film (a drama from Senegal).

On the plus side, I was able to watch films from 14 different countries and also finish watching Rosemary & Thyme on Netflix. Also, I had a lot of fun (and a bit of depression) over the course of the month. Ran and The Young Girls of Rochefort were definitely the high points with the child-endangerment dramas Grave of the Fireflies and Salaam Bombay! both being just a bit too soul-crushing to be "enjoyable."
Old 06-01-15, 12:08 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I hit my goal of 50 in my Poverty Row Challenge on Saturday so I just took a challenge break on Sunday. Since most of these films clock in at around an hour doing 50 wasn't much of an effort although I am looking forward to doing more reading the the near future. I also watched one serial, Burm-Em-Up Barnes (hyphens optional). It's pretty good for an older serial and the Alpha Video DVDs I watched were some of the better ones I've seen from that company.

Thanks to Dimension X for running this and congratulations to the prize winners and all the participants.
Old 06-01-15, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
...It's generally agreed on the internet that DC's animated stuff is tops. I have two Batman films from Netflix sitting here I'll probably watch tonight. I haven't seen Daredevil yet (or any other new Marvel TV show). I'm planning to watch it soon, and maybe watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. season one during the Sci-fi Challenge....
I've also got Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. on my list. I have Son of Batman and Batman Year one lined up along with Superman / Shazam and Superman: Doomsday (there wasn't enough "time" in my superhero challenge) so might just continue on with them. I'd seen the Wonder Woman animated a long time ago when it was on Netflix and enjoyed that one.
Old 06-01-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've also got Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. on my list. I have Son of Batman and Batman Year one lined up along with Superman / Shazam and Superman: Doomsday (there wasn't enough "time" in my superhero challenge) so might just continue on with them. I'd seen the Wonder Woman animated a long time ago when it was on Netflix and enjoyed that one.
I bought Wonder Woman on Amazon Instant Video, but haven't gotten around to watching it.
Old 06-01-15, 02:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

really didn't much take part of the discussion side of this challenge (sorry) but I didn't realize how fun an 'animal' themed challenge would be - there's a ton of stuff - barely scratched the surface of my 3D David Attenborough / BBC blurays

of course I loved 'Born Free'.

'Zombeavers' was silly but could have been extra gory if it had been a Troma release.

'Tiny Giants' (3D) was outstanding.

Big 'River Monsters' fan, so that was pretty easy to sit back and enjoy

'Jaws 2' a film I had never seen prior to this challenge was sort of a letdown, the movie kind of collapsed on itself and just became a teenagers in peril plot. I had always heard that one victim was chomped on and his body was lifted into the boat minus the bottom half of him, alas... that was just a friend wishing this movie had been rated R and featured more gore

Animal Planet's 'Killer Hornets from Hell' has given me a fear of Asian giant hornets

Jurassic Park III - a guilty pleasure, but hey it's 84 minutes sans credits and is less bloated than 'The Lost World: Jurassic Park II'
Old 06-01-15, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always look forward to this challenge every year. Thanks for the prize!
Old 06-01-15, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've seen all those DC movies on your list. I watched Son of Batman last week.

I have Batman vs Robin and Batman: Assault on Arkham here to watch.
Originally Posted by SnapDawg
Always look forward to this challenge every year. Thanks for the prize!
Congrats. That's two down, one to go.

I'll send both your info and your picks to GoldenWheels, and I'll announce their prize picks here later tonight.
Old 06-01-15, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I finished up with 22 kung fu films, only four of which were first-time viewings. But of those four, two were quite good, including Yuen Wo Ping's DRUNKEN TAI CHI (1984), starring Donnie Yen in an auspicious film debut, and Joseph Kuo's THE CAVALIER (1978), a comedy starring Doris Chen as a girl who has to marry the first man who can beat her in kung fu and when one finally does she and her grandfather pursue the man, a Ming rebel being chased down by Ching soldiers, so it's a mix of hilarious comedy and some serious anti-Ching kung fu battles.

Plus I watched a bunch of old favorites like NINJA HUNTER, SHAOLIN TRAITOROUS, DEMON STRIKE, HITMAN IN THE HAND OF BUDDHA, HELL'Z WINDSTAFF, THE WOMAN AVENGER, RING OF DEATH, KUNG FU GENIUS and LADY CONSTABLES.
Old 06-01-15, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The first two prizes have been chosen. Still waiting to hear from ross_r.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi selected Force: Five on DVD.

SnapDawg chose American Whiskey, Bourbon & Rye: A Guide to the Nation's Favorite Spirit by Clay Risen.

Cool picks.

Your info has been forwarded to GoldenWheels, so he can work his magic.

Last edited by Dimension X; 06-01-15 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-01-15, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

I totally tanked this challenge thanks to the sell of my house taking way longer than it needs to (still not finished with all the paperwork). I'll try to do better next year. Thanks Dimension X for hosting the challenge and congrats to the winners.
Old 06-02-15, 12:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool notified I won prize. thanks Dimension X. I'll send PM. Thanks
ross_r
Old 06-02-15, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ross_r
Cool notified I won prize. thanks Dimension X. I'll send PM. Thanks
ross_r
Take as much time as you need picking your prize. I just wanted to know that you know you won.

That's the last one. Thanks for the quick responses, folks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.