Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Sixth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2015

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-15, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: The Sixth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2015

Originally Posted by davidh777
You haven't watched V/V for this challenge, or you haven't watched it at all? Definitely worth seeing. I rewatched it recently.

The 1945 State Fair would qualify for the historical challenge, but I'm not sure the Pat Boone version would. I think I've only seen it once.

I need to watch some Esther Williams!
I haven't watched it at all. Really should, though! The '45 one is the one I watched, but like I mentioned, I'm skipping the historical challenge this year to save up some energy for July and August challenges.

Thanks to Dimension X for hosting and to Goldenwheels for prizes!
Old 06-02-15, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: The Sixth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2015

Okay, the final winner, ross_r, selected the six DVD Twisted Terror Collection.

Another cool pick. I don't own that set, but I'm pretty sure I have all the movies in it.

Congratulations to the winners (and again, thanks for the quick responses), and to everyone else, better luck next time.

Thanks again to GoldenWheels and Hamilton Books for the prizes. And thanks to everyone who participated in the Challenge. I enjoyed looking at your lists, and I hope everyone had a good time. I did. I saw several terrific films I hadn't seen before, and a couple I had. What more could I ask for out of a month of movie watching?

Last edited by Dimension X; 06-02-15 at 04:27 AM.
Old 06-02-15, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm kind of doing a post challenge day today, since with my mom in the hospital, I'm extremely depressed today. I didn't even want to wake up this morning, if you catch my meaning.
Old 06-02-15, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Will get the prizes picked today and let you know when they go out guys! Thanks!
Old 06-02-15, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I'm kind of doing a post challenge day today, since with my mom in the hospital, I'm extremely depressed today. I didn't even want to wake up this morning, if you catch my meaning.
Sorry to hear that. I hope you both feel better soon.
Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Will get the prizes picked today and let you know when they go out guys! Thanks!
Man, I hope you're posting from home. Nobody needs to be at work this early in the morning.

Last edited by Dimension X; 06-02-15 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-02-15, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dimension X
Sorry to hear that. I hope you both feel better soon.

Man, I hope you're posting from home. Nobody needs to be at work this early in the morning.
Thanks for the well wishes.
Old 06-02-15, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My dad just talked to my mom and she's ok. She should be home today.
Old 06-02-15, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
I haven't watched it at all. Really should, though! The '45 one is the one I watched, but like I mentioned, I'm skipping the historical challenge this year to save up some energy for July and August challenges.
Yes, you should fit it into a future challenge! I also have the V/V stage version but haven't watched it.

I realized Yankee Doodle Dandy could fit into my historical challenge!
Old 06-02-15, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Congrats to the winners!

Thanks for running things Dimension X - I'm already ready for next year!

Thanks again to Hamilton Books for prizes!
Old 06-02-15, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, the final winner, ross_r, selected the six DVD Twisted Terror Collection.

Another cool pick. I don't own that set, but I'm pretty sure I have all the movies in it.
I *do* own that set and it's very good.

As has become typical of the great deals at Hamiltonbook.com I paid a bit more for my set than they're currently selling it for *including* shipping on a single item. Sometimes I think Goldenwheels somehow gets wind of what I've purchased elsewhere and gets it for them at a lower price.
Old 06-02-15, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I *do* own that set and it's very good.

As has become typical of the great deals at Hamiltonbook.com I paid a bit more for my set than they're currently selling it for *including* shipping on a single item. Sometimes I think Goldenwheels somehow gets wind of what I've purchased elsewhere and gets it for them at a lower price.
I also own that set and it's well worth the price.

The Amityville Horror Trilogy blu-ray set is about $20 cheaper than Amazon. I did an order for that and Blood Feast, which was over 50% cheaper than Amazon.

Originally Posted by Blood Feast
For those who think they've seen everything comes the world's only anti-drug, pro-Jesus, turkey-monster gorefest! Driven mad by his addiction to reefer, muscle-bound biker Herschell (Steve Hawkes) takes a job at a turkey farm, where he's fed meat treated with an experimental drug. You can probably guess what happens next.
Old 06-02-15, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
The Amityville Horror Trilogy blu-ray set is about $20 cheaper than Amazon. I did an order for that and Blood Feast, which was over 50% cheaper than Amazon.
Originally Posted by Blood Feast
For those who think they've seen everything comes the world's only anti-drug, pro-Jesus, turkey-monster gorefest! Driven mad by his addiction to reefer, muscle-bound biker Herschell (Steve Hawkes) takes a job at a turkey farm, where he's fed meat treated with an experimental drug. You can probably guess what happens next.
Blood Freak is the one with the turkey monster. Blood Feast is an H.G. Lewis flick.
Old 06-02-15, 08:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't watch a ton since I had a pretty limited challenge goal, but with the 18 films I watched I did manage to knock out my entire backlog of Eurocrime discs and had a great time with them, so I consider that a win.
Old 06-03-15, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Blood Freak is the one with the turkey monster. Blood Feast is an H.G. Lewis flick.
And that's why typing that name out didn't seem right each time.
Old 06-03-15, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Packages are in the mail fellows, enjoy and please let me know if you don't have them within a few weeks (it should be much sooner).

Thanks to ross_r, I also got my own copy of Twisted Terror....right before I packed his copy, I noticed it had been razor slashed when opening the carton--so he gets the new one and I get the slashed one. I literally just read about "Eyes of a Stranger" in that Mammoth Book of Slasher Films the night before so this was nice bit of serendipity.

And BobO', I swear I don't buy things right after you got them just to vex you!
Old 06-03-15, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Packages are in the mail fellows, enjoy and please let me know if you don't have them within a few weeks (it should be much sooner).

Thanks to ross_r, I also got my own copy of Twisted Terror....right before I packed his copy, I noticed it had been razor slashed when opening the carton--so he gets the new one and I get the slashed one. I literally just read about "Eyes of a Stranger" in that Mammoth Book of Slasher Films the night before so this was nice bit of serendipity.

And BobO', I swear I don't buy things right after you got them just to vex you!
Sure seems that way sometimes! In all fairness they usually show up with you a year or more after my purchase. I'll get them when they go OOP or in seemingly short supply only to have them go way up in price and then bottom out 12-24 months later as a cache is found and sent to closeout vendors.

I purchased the Twisted Terror set to get a copy of Dr. Giggles and found other good films as a bonus! I've not yet watched Eyes of a Stranger - hopefully I'll remember come the Horror Challenge this year!
Old 06-03-15, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sure seems that way sometimes! In all fairness they usually show up with you a year or more after my purchase. I'll get them when they go OOP or in seemingly short supply only to have them go way up in price and then bottom out 12-24 months later as a cache is found and sent to closeout vendors.
What usually happens to me (okay, not usually, but it's happened enough times to vex me) is, a day or two after I order from them, I'll get one of the mail order catalogs, and find a ~$2 book I'd like to have. It's not cheap enough with the shipping cost added to order it alone, so I have to hope they still have it (and that I remember to order it) next time I order something from them.

I think the young people call these "First World Problems."
Old 06-03-15, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What usually happens to me (okay, not usually, but it's happened enough times to vex me) is, a day or two after I order from them, I'll get one of the mail order catalogs, and find a ~$2 book I'd like to have. It's not cheap enough with the shipping cost added to order it alone, so I have to hope they still have it (and that I remember to order it) next time I order something from them.

I think the young people call these "First World Problems."
I have that happen too. I use the online Wish List to track those things and make a point to check it anytime I'm ready to place a order just in case there's something I want that I've forgotten about. Of course I've had stuff sell out when doing that but it's a chance you have to take. If it's something I *really* want I'll find a few other items to help offset the shipping charge, suck it up, and place the order. That's not too difficult for me to do and often I pay far less for what I've ordered than had I used Amazon.

Speaking of Amazon - *beware* as there's a MP vendor calling themselves "Hamilton Book Company." If you look at their profile you get this:
Hello, and welcome to Fairfield Township Books! We specialize in used books of all kinds. We ship via the US Postal Service from Hamilton, OH
I don't know if they are attempting to piggyback on the Hamilton Book (aka Edward R. Hamilton Bookseller Company) name but you would think they'd call themselves something like "Fairfield Books" on Amazon.

Here's a listing with them as one of the vendors:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

I was "Wow! Hamilton sells used stuff on Amazon now! I'll contact Goldenwheels and ask about this one." when I discovered it wasn't who I thought.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 06-03-15 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-03-15, 09:11 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I'll contact Goldenbooks and ask about this one." when I discovered it wasn't who I thought.

Old 06-03-15, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor

Fixed! I typed "books" toooooo many times!