Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-14-15, 06:05 PM   #51
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kstublen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,750
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

Part of my thing about physical media has always been that I can watch it without needing cable or the internet. All I need is some sort of power supply, whether it be battery-powered or electricity. I never have to worry about lag times or the internet going down, etc. I'm in control of what I want to watch, when I want to watch it and I could, in theory, watch something at any point in time for the rest of my life. Not so with this streaming or cloud nonsense where things could up and change on a whim.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-15, 07:31 PM   #52
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mister Peepers
Posts: 7,869
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

Physical media isn't going to die unless TVs start becoming something people stop buying and internet providers stop capping their internet and that's not going to happen. Also take into consideration internet service in other countries, such as Australia.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-15, 07:46 AM   #53
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 86
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I still think the best option would be doing a limited run of future seasons and making them available online. Either have Fox Connect directly sell the sets or make a deal with an online retailer like Amazon or someplace to give them exclusive rights. That way fans who still want the sets can get them but Fox doesn't have to mass produce and end up with overstock and have to sell them at a loss. It seems pretty much like a win-win scenario to me.
I like this idea but I don't see it working. The cost in producing these sets is not in replication, but in prepping the material for disc, so I'm not sure they would think it was worth spending that money for a limited return
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-15, 02:37 PM   #54
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,329
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman284 View Post
I like this idea but I don't see it working. The cost in producing these sets is not in replication, but in prepping the material for disc, so I'm not sure they would think it was worth spending that money for a limited return
Al Jean said that they're still going to do commentaries and find a way to get them on The Simpsons World app. Even if the discs were barebones though while not ideal I'd rather take than nothing at all.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-15, 04:24 PM   #55
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Bluelitespecial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 5,577
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

Well I have been collecting The Simpsons on dvd since season one. But I have fallen behind (I still haven't bought 15,16, or 17), I will buy those on bluray, and hope there might be enough of backlash that FOX might change their minds. Or another studio might pick up releasing other seasons even if it goes back to just dvd only.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-15, 05:03 PM   #56
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 12,108
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

Unfortunately it's not a surprise. Even a collector like myself (nearly 1300 DVDs and Blus) has been taken in by the allure of streaming.

I'm still keeping my physical copies for certain things (MST3K for starters), but Star Trek? Somebody's always going to have that on streaming. Adventure Time? Either on Netflix or Itunes.

Even this morning, my wife woke up to tell me she dreamed that I had bought a complete TV series DVD set (with soundtrack CDs included) and she was so mad she ran off to the jungle with Russel Brand. If she had her way, all TV shows and movies would be on streaming and all books would be on Kindle.

Does seem odd that a flagship series like this wouldn't get an exception, but maybe someone like Shout! could pick it up.
__________________
OAR (Original Aspect Ratio) is not about more image, or less image. It's about the right image.
Collection at FilmAficionado

Doctor Who DVDs needed - The Web Planet, The War Games, Ghost Light.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-15, 07:21 PM   #57
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,413
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Unfortunately it's not a surprise. Even a collector like myself (nearly 1300 DVDs and Blus) has been taken in by the allure of streaming.

I'm still keeping my physical copies for certain things (MST3K for starters), but Star Trek? Somebody's always going to have that on streaming. Adventure Time? Either on Netflix or Itunes.

Even this morning, my wife woke up to tell me she dreamed that I had bought a complete TV series DVD set (with soundtrack CDs included) and she was so mad she ran off to the jungle with Russel Brand. If she had her way, all TV shows and movies would be on streaming and all books would be on Kindle.

Does seem odd that a flagship series like this wouldn't get an exception, but maybe someone like Shout! could pick it up.
Don't discount Olive Films either as they are about to finish off King of the Hill on DVD by the year's end. So that's another option that might happen.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-15, 07:45 PM   #58
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,329
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmw650 View Post
Don't discount Olive Films either as they are about to finish off King of the Hill on DVD by the year's end. So that's another option that might happen.
I doubt that the licensing rights to King of the Hill were as much as the rights for The Simpsons would be though. I am glad that Olive Films stepped up and finished the job that Fox abandoned with King of the Hill though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-15, 07:56 PM   #59
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Auburn, Alabama
Posts: 320
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
Part of my thing about physical media has always been that I can watch it without needing cable or the internet. All I need is some sort of power supply, whether it be battery-powered or electricity. I never have to worry about lag times or the internet going down, etc. I'm in control of what I want to watch, when I want to watch it and I could, in theory, watch something at any point in time for the rest of my life. Not so with this streaming or cloud nonsense where things could up and change on a whim.
Exactly!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-15, 12:36 PM   #60
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
PatD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,421
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

Someone should organize a paper-mail petition drive to Fox Home Video. Get all Bjo Trimble on their asses.
__________________
STREAMING: All the fun of paying the fiddler and then dancing to the tune of HIS choice.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-15, 03:50 PM   #61
Senior Member
 
mythmaker18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 660
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatD View Post
Get all Bjo Trimble on their asses.
Or, indeed Gene Roddenberry (according to the Solow/Justman book).

Honestly, I don't think a letter-writing campaign would help that much in this case. Here, we have a studio who are trying to sell subscriptions to their self-owned "Simpsons World" website. What better way to drive people to this product than to make it the exclusive outlet for all remaining episodes (as well as the ones already released)?

I feel if they weren't trying to make money with that website, the DVD releases would have probably continued in some form.
__________________
"I used the bike trail with my viper blue, then some fields good thing I don't have much testycalls to crush (ouch) for the viper blue don't have springs or tampon absorbers." - Danol
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-15, 05:33 PM   #62
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 7,417
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

While I'm too lazy to look it up again right now, I read that the DVD decision IS because of Simpsons World. Just all the more reason not to use that- let it blow up in their faces.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-15, 05:49 PM   #63
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 36,480
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

Here's something along those lines. It's a fan rant rather than official confirmation, though.

http://www.examiner.com/article/no-p...e-to-low-sales
__________________
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-15, 07:48 PM   #64
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 14,329
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatD View Post
Someone should organize a paper-mail petition drive to Fox Home Video. Get all Bjo Trimble on their asses.
If it would actually work I'd be totally willing to do this. It always seems like petitions fall on deaf ears though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-15, 08:00 PM   #65
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hanshotfirst1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Livonia MI
Posts: 9,678
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD



Well, Fox has gone full-scale in their abandonment of physical media. And if this wasn't a title that'd sell, nothing will. And I have a feeling that they're not going to be the last.
__________________
"What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one."
Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death
"Smart can't beat free."
Gillian Flynn
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-15, 09:28 PM   #66
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 26,950
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
If it would actually work I'd be totally willing to do this. It always seems like petitions fall on deaf ears though.
Yeah, it's pretty much known that most people will sign a petition demanding something and never follow through.
__________________
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-15, 09:32 PM   #67
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 26,950
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

Food for thought, but Fox was one of the last studios, along with Paramount, to embrace the DVD format.

As such, it shouldn't be surprising that they - along with Paramount (who recently licensed out to Warners) - are the first studios to start dropping their support for discs.
__________________
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-15, 09:45 PM   #68
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kstublen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,750
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

When there was the backlash about the change in packaging from Seasons 1-5 (box) to Season 6 (plastic head) not only did FOX offer a mail-in program to get a box package for Season 6, but from then on out they released plastic head packages and standard box packages and later continued this for the molded head packages too.

So we're talking about a company that actually listened to its fanbase and offered a solution. I find the decision to halt production on these releases all the more confusing given their past actions.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-15, 09:49 PM   #69
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 7,417
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

Ironically they were the FIRST major studio to license movies for VHS and Beta in 1977. But I do remember they supported DIVX over regular DVD, and then their first DVDs were ridiculously overpriced as their laserdiscs had been before.

When they put out good product at a reasonable price, I buy. If they don't want my money, I'll find someone else to give it to.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-15, 09:51 PM   #70
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 7,417
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

Quote:
So we're talking about a company that actually listened to its fanbase and offered a solution. I find the decision to halt production on these releases all the more confusing given their past actions.
As has been mentioned before, most of the people who ran the home video departments back then are no longer working. It seems to get that job now you're required not to care much about it. Funny that I could probably do a better job, generate more sales and accept lower pay than those people. Heck, they could almost get away just paying me with free product!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-15, 11:02 PM   #71
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,413
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I doubt that the licensing rights to King of the Hill were as much as the rights for The Simpsons would be though. I am glad that Olive Films stepped up and finished the job that Fox abandoned with King of the Hill though.
Mike, you just never know as crazier things have happened with regards to this industry so hoping Olive Films or even SHOUT steps up and continues onward with this show (Simpsons, that is) starting at Season 18 and 19.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-15, 06:15 AM   #72
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,816
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

I think it's safe to say sales aren't the issue (or at least not entirely), and they just want to push people to FXX and the website, meaning if they aren't releasing it themselves, they aren't farming them out either.
__________________
My and the family's DVDs/HD DVDs and BDs
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-15, 07:30 AM   #73
Senior Member
 
TerryW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 879
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

And this is why we steal from corporations like this.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-15, 09:43 AM   #74
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,274
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
As has been mentioned before, most of the people who ran the home video departments back then are no longer working. It seems to get that job now you're required not to care much about it. Funny that I could probably do a better job, generate more sales and accept lower pay than those people. Heck, they could almost get away just paying me with free product!
If you (ie. Alan Smithee) truly believe in your own abilities, then have you thought about starting your own home video bluray company? Or have you already started your own home video bluray company already?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-15, 02:55 PM   #75
DVD Talk Legend
 
Chad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Posts: 10,467
Re: No More Simpsons on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatD View Post
Someone should organize a paper-mail petition drive to Fox Home Video. Get all Bjo Trimble on their asses.
There's currently a Facebook group doing just that, but at 140+ members it's not exactly setting the world on fire.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1643530482546429/

Spoiler:
1. Write to:
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, Inc.
2121 Av Of The Sts 2500 Ste 2500
Los Angeles, CA, 90067 United States

2. Sign and share these petitions from Facebook, to twitter, to Tumblr:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com//kee...g-simpsons-d/
http://www.ipetitions.com/pe/contin...s-dvd-releases

3. This is optional; E-mail to Olive Films about sub-licensing rights to Seasons 18-onward if Fox themselves aren't willing to do it. I know Shout! is a better candidate but they "would if they could".
And this is how we'll do it every month. So get ready! Our first campaign begins next Friday, April 24th!!!
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 AM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0