Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Sixth Annual Drive-in/Exploitation/B-movie Challenge April 1-30 2015

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Sixth Annual Drive-in/Exploitation/B-movie Challenge April 1-30 2015

Day 1 has been disappointment after disappointment for me so far.
Old 04-01-15, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
After watching my first movie of the challenge

I have come to the realization that I am going to need a lot more alcohol before the month is through.
Can't go wrong with Yuen Clan. I'll be popping in Young Taoism Fighter (1986), sometime in the next two or three days.
Old 04-01-15, 07:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up starting with an Andy Sidaris gem HARD TICKET TO HAWAII. the sillyness in this movie is off the charts. The random boob shots the use of 80's weapons like rocket launchers, uzi's and razor blade frisbee's made it a perfect start to the challenge.
Old 04-01-15, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Ninja III: The Domination (1984) was the perfect film to start the challenge with. The scene involving the can of V8 had me dying.

I went to a few DVD stores around the art gallery I was dropping my work at today. Managed to find a used copy of Double Dragon (1994) for only $5.99. Hopefully that film fits some sort of criteria for this challenge.

Originally Posted by desnoes
I ended up starting with an Andy Sidaris gem HARD TICKET TO HAWAII. the sillyness in this movie is off the charts. The random boob shots the use of 80's weapons like rocket launchers, uzi's and razor blade frisbee's made it a perfect start to the challenge.
I can't wait to dig into the Sidaris films for this challenge

I watched that film with a group of friends at a Bachelor Party a few years back and it was amazing.
Old 04-01-15, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I was watching The Manitou with Tony Curtis when a new checklist item occurred to me. Down on their luck. Films with actors that were once big stars but are now slumming in some crappy sub-B movie. Like Joan Crawford in Trog, or Veronica Lake in Flesh Feast, or Mickey Rooney in Silent Night Deadly Night 5.

Think of any more?
Old 04-02-15, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Anyone else get The Beyond (blu-ray) from Grindhouse? I haven't touched mine yet but it's supposed to be a good release.
It's on tap for this weekend, along with Shout!'s "Exterminators of the Year 3000," which should be here in a couple days.
Old 04-02-15, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Black Mama White Mama was pretty fun trash, highly recommended for Pam Grier's fans.

Old 04-02-15, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Double Dragon (1994) was better than I remembered. Totally forgot that Michael Berryman had a small part in it.

What's funny is that even though it's based on a video game, as a film it mirrors so many late 80s/early 90s R-Rated action flicks. Change the title and you might have had a wonky/fun Cannon film. I'm also pretty sure this is where my crush on Alyssa Milano started.
Old 04-02-15, 03:12 AM
Cool New Member

I'm starting today with the best of Elvis' narrative films, Viva Las Vegas. I've seen this one I don't know how many times!
Old 04-02-15, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Ninja III: The Domination (1984) was the perfect film to start the challenge with. The scene involving the can of V8 had me dying.

I went to a few DVD stores around the art gallery I was dropping my work at today. Managed to find a used copy of Double Dragon (1994) for only $5.99. Hopefully that film fits some sort of criteria for this challenge.

I can't wait to dig into the Sidaris films for this challenge

I watched that film with a group of friends at a Bachelor Party a few years back and it was amazing.
I have Ninja III on Blu Ray. Plan to watch it some time this month.
Old 04-02-15, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

I started out the challenge with Herschell Gordon Lewis: The Godfather of Gore (2010). It was pretty good, but after listening to twenty-odd H.G. Lewis and Dave Friedman commentaries last May, there wasn't much that was new to me (from those two) in the film. Then I followed that with two early Lewis films that were both first-time-views; Living Venus (1961) and Boin-n-g (1963). I enjoyed the first, and didn't care at all for the second.

This morning, I watched a really good documentary on Joe Sarno and his wife, Peggy, called A Life in Dirty Movies (2013). Check it out on Hulu if you're interested.

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Hey, Dimension X. Are you here? Do you want to continue our SWV cuties-talk from last year? Since then, I've finally been able to always recognize Sandy Dempsey and Lynn Harris. Won't be surprised if I run into a movie featuring one or the other.
I have a bad time remembering names. I had to look those two up (and I'm still not sure about Lynn Harris).

I'm planning on mostly continuing along with my viewing plan for the Action Challenge (watching whatever's on El Rey Thursday night and watching a few comic book serials), so I don't know how many SWV cuties I'll see, but I'm always happy to see pics.
Originally Posted by Chad
Then in an attempt to help battle a bout of insomnia I went with Ed Wood's "Necromania: A Tale of Weird Love". This probably ranked somewhere between Joe D'Amato's Erotic Nights of the Living Dead and that George 'Buck' Flower one (Satan's Lust?) I caught a few years back for this challenge. Now I know why a) the cast chose to remain anonymous and b) the Tim Burton film didn't delve into his later career. If he really was the worst director ever, well, it wasn't because of Plan 9.
I watched Satan's Lust during one of the Horror Challenges. Buck naked Buck Flower was one of the most horrifying things I've ever seen in a movie.

I need to watch Necromania: A Tale of Weird Love all the way through. I compared two versions I have that had different lengths, and the shorter one didn't have the hardcore scenes deleted, as I'd expected, but actually had different softcore sex scenes. So Ed Wood actually did film more than one take of a scene (at least in that case).

Hell, I'm always up for watching some Rene Bond. I guess now's a good a time as any to watch it.

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-02-15 at 04:27 AM.
Old 04-02-15, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished Death Kappa, a movie I rented last month on Amazon Instant Video. It was ok, but also quite cheesy in some spots. I wonder if it was actually a spoof of kaiju movies. The monsters were decent though. But then, as a fan of monster movies, I probably have a high tolerance.
Old 04-02-15, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I started out the challenge with Herschell Gordon Lewis: The Godfather of Gore (2010). It was pretty good, but after listening to twenty-odd H.G. Lewis and Dave Friedman commentaries last May, there wasn't much that was new to me (from those two) in the film. Then I followed that with two early Lewis films that were both first-time-views; Living Venus (1961) and Boin-n-g (1963). I enjoyed the first, and didn't care at all for the second.
Lewis commentaries were always good. I backed the lost films kickstarter but I still haven't gotten around to watching any of them yet.

Lloyd Kaufman are good because he talks a lot during them but it's only good up to a point. If the commentary was recorded with Bush Jr in office, they're all going to have a point where he starts going off on the guy. I didn't like the guy but the same political crap in each movie commentary wears thin really quick.

Then he also does the "Hollywood is shit* and we're the best!" a lot.

*except for when we were getting our films played in major theaters but then we started making box office bombs and couldn't get our stuff played anymore, so now they suck

He sounds like a bitter ex that just can't let go since he goes off on that tangent in so many of his commentaries.
Old 04-02-15, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For as bad as day 1 was (reviews on each movie coming this afternoon) day 2 has started out that good with Day Of Anger. I've wanted to see this spaghetti for a long time and Arrow's new Blu-ray was worth the wait. And on top of that they just announced a Blu-ray for Cemetery Without Crosses coming in July!
Old 04-02-15, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by bookercarringto
I'm starting today with the best of Elvis' narrative films, Viva Las Vegas. I've seen this one I don't know how many times!
That's a very good one, although I'd rank FLAMING STAR and KING CREOLE higher. As far as Elvis musicals go, VIVA's easily the best, simply because he's got a formidable female co-star (Ann-Margret) who's treated as his musical equal in the film. If only he'd done more films with female singers who could do duets with him. His one film with Nancy Sinatra (SPEEDWAY) was a disappointment because she didn't do any songs with him.
Old 04-02-15, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
That's a very good one, although I'd rank FLAMING STAR and KING CREOLE higher. As far as Elvis musicals go, VIVA's easily the best, simply because he's got a formidable female co-star (Ann-Margret) who's treated as his musical equal in the film. If only he'd done more films with female singers who could do duets with him. His one film with Nancy Sinatra (SPEEDWAY) was a disappointment because she didn't do any songs with him.
I thought Sintra *did* sing with Elvis in Speedway. One duet, "There Ain't Nothing Like A Song." She also sang "Your Groovy Self" without Elvis. But yeah... a chance was missed. However the music wasn't as good as that in Viva Las Vegas so maybe it was a good thing.
Old 04-02-15, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I thought Sinatra *did* sing with Elvis in Speedway. One duet, "There Ain't Nothing Like A Song." She also sang "Your Groovy Self" without Elvis. But yeah... a chance was missed. However the music wasn't as good as that in Viva Las Vegas so maybe it was a good thing.
Hmmm...I'll have to check again. Thanks.
Old 04-02-15, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I have Ninja III on Blu Ray. Plan to watch it some time this month.
It's amazing. Be sure to post your thoughts after you watch it!

Love the obviously opening credits reference to Cannibal Holocaust (1980) in Hobo With A Shotgun (2011).

First time watching Nail Gun Massacre (1985). That last 30-40 minutes was so tough to get through. The killer's laugh/voice was hysterical though.
Old 04-02-15, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lewis commentaries were always good. I backed the lost films kickstarter but I still haven't gotten around to watching any of them yet.
I watched Ecstasies of Women and Linda and Abilene on Netflix sometime last year. Neither movie was anything to write home about. I haven't watched Black Love, yet. (I'd really like to see The Magic Land of Mother Goose, Jimmy, the Boy Wonder, and/or Miss Nymphet's Zap-In. Especially the last one, since Debbie Osborne is in it.)

They didn't talk about the three "lost" films (or Alley Tramp, Monster A-Go Go, or Jimmy, the Boy Wonder) in the documentary. I can sorta see skipping the films he just did camera work on though.
Lloyd Kaufman are good because he talks a lot during them but it's only good up to a point. If the commentary was recorded with Bush Jr in office, they're all going to have a point where he starts going off on the guy. I didn't like the guy but the same political crap in each movie commentary wears thin really quick.

Then he also does the "Hollywood is shit* and we're the best!" a lot.

*except for when we were getting our films played in major theaters but then we started making box office bombs and couldn't get our stuff played anymore, so now they suck

He sounds like a bitter ex that just can't let go since he goes off on that tangent in so many of his commentaries.
I find Lloyd Kaufman amusing in small doses, and I've never listened to any of his commentaries (and it doesn't sound like I need to be in any hurry to do so). I'm really not much of a Troma fan, so I probably don't own more than one or two anyway.
Old 04-02-15, 02:18 PM
Cool New Member

Watching Keoma now.
Old 04-02-15, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I watched Ecstasies of Women and Linda and Abilene on Netflix sometime last year. Neither movie was anything to write home about. I haven't watched Black Love, yet. (I'd really like to see The Magic Land of Mother Goose, Jimmy, the Boy Wonder, and/or Miss Nymphet's Zap-In. Especially the last one, since Debbie Osborne is in it.)

They didn't talk about the three "lost" films (or Alley Tramp, Monster A-Go Go, or Jimmy, the Boy Wonder) in the documentary. I can sorta see skipping the films he just did camera work on though.

I find Lloyd Kaufman amusing in small doses, and I've never listened to any of his commentaries (and it doesn't sound like I need to be in any hurry to do so). I'm really not much of a Troma fan, so I probably don't own more than one or two anyway.
I liked The Magic Land of Mother Goose and Jimmy, the Boy Wonder but it's been awhile. I have Miss Nymphet's Zap-In, Alley Tramp, and Monster A-Go Go but I think I've only seen the last one. I haven't seen the Miss Nymphet's Zap-In, I have no idea if I've seen Alley Tramp, and I'm sure I've seen Monster A-Go Go but can't remember a thing about it.

Have you read The Godfather of Gore Speaks? It's in my pile of things to read. It's only a couple hundred pages but looks decent. I'm guessing most of it would have been covered by the commentaries and the documentary.

As for Troma, I like the stuff in the 80s and that's about it. Stuff after that just seems to be trying to hard and all the self awareness of the latest Toxic Avenger film ruined it for me.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bookercarringto
Watching Keoma now.
Love Keoma. Also love the dead cat wailing in the theme song!
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I decided to Google Miss Nymphet's Zap-In to see if maybe it was on YouTube, and darned if it doesn't show up as a "Gratis Download" on Vinegar Syndrome's site. Had to go through a few hoops and clicks (it takes you to another site), but it's downloading and it didn't cost anything. I'll post back on video quality, etc, later.

Fleshpot on 42nd Street, Guru, the Mad Monk, The Night Hustlers, and Silent Night, Bloody Night are also available as "Gratis Downloads" in case anyone wants to give it a try.

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-02-15 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-02-15, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked The Magic Land of Mother Goose and Jimmy, the Boy Wonder but it's been awhile. I have Miss Nymphet's Zap-In, Alley Tramp, and Monster A-Go Go but I think I've only seen the last one. I haven't seen the Miss Nymphet's Zap-In, I have no idea if I've seen Alley Tramp, and I'm sure I've seen Monster A-Go Go but can't remember a thing about it.
Alley Tramp and Monster A-Go Go both had Image/SWV DVD releases. I've had them both for a long time, and have watched them at least a couple times. I remember first seeing Monster A-Go Go back in the '80s on TV.
Have you read The Godfather of Gore Speaks? It's in my pile of things to read. It's only a couple hundred pages but looks decent. I'm guessing most of it would have been covered by the commentaries and the documentary.
No, I haven't read that one (or Dave Friedman's book). I'll have to keep an eye out for a decent price on it.

I remember in one of the commentaries I listened to last year, that Dave Friedman said he had finished a second book, but he had problems with his publisher, so it was just sitting around collecting dust.

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-02-15 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-02-15, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I started out the challenge with Herschell Gordon Lewis: The Godfather of Gore (2010).

Is that available to watch on streaming through Roku?

I was also wondering about Death Race 1 - 3. Are they close enough in spirit to Death Race 2000 to be considered suitable carsploitation films?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.