Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2015 Horror Challenge

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-03-14, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

While it's still fresh in everyone's mind...

Originally Posted by Trevor
Bats, Cats, and Rats theme
Originally Posted by indiephantom
Pregnancy horror theme
Originally Posted by SethDLH
Theme idea for next year that I don't remember being done: Violence against children or kids as victims
Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Trailer compilations count according to TV rules

Last edited by Chad; 11-03-14 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-03-14, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 354 Likes on 227 Posts
re: Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2015 Horror Challenge

Perhaps it's time to retire the "most impressive list" category/prize. Or let's just not mess with the voting and give it to Surfinhank and/or SterlingBen ahead of time. Those guys put the rest of us to shame year after year.
Old 11-04-14, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

I vote that we finalize checklist and subset pics several months in advance of the next challenge to give everyone time to buy it (hunt for lower prices). In fact we could have a OHMC deal thread where we look for deals on said movies. Might be just me being a cheap bastard but that is why I join this forum in the first place, for the deals!
Old 11-04-14, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 611 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I vote that we finalize checklist and subset pics several months in advance of the next challenge to give everyone time to buy it (hunt for lower prices). In fact we could have a OHMC deal thread where we look for deals on said movies. Might be just me being a cheap bastard but that is why I join this forum in the first place, for the deals!
I like that idea. I'm one who favors purchasing rather than streaming and that would be a nice solution.
Old 11-04-14, 04:28 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I like that idea. I'm one who favors purchasing rather than streaming and that would be a nice solution.
I third this. I hate having to go to shady websites to view some of the choices.
Old 11-04-14, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

+1 to liking the idea of solidifying subset/themes crazy early.

I'll post a few suggestions once I have a chance to mill things over. It'll be easier while horror is fresh on my brain and it makes sense for people to suggest some of their favorites from the challenge for next year.

I'd like to see more changes to sub-genres in the checklist and will make suggestions later. For one I suggest opening "Frakenstein" up to a more general "Mad Scientist," many of those are derived from Shelley's formula anyway (if not Mad Science would make a good new addition on it's own).
Old 11-04-14, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts

If it were up to me, I'd start the damn challenge at Dusk on Labor Day.

So solidifying things early is a-ok by me.
Old 11-05-14, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

LOVE the early themes narrowing idea. I had the most fun with just focusing on theme nights this year.

I'm going to work on a list for the PREGNANCY HORROR.

Also, have we done ELEVATORS AND HIGH RISES? Some of those came to mind during the challenge. I feel like there's another combination in there for a good theme night.

Also one that came to me during the challenge: MOVIE HOUSE MASSACRES- DRIVE IN THEATRES
Films that are set at movie theatres or drive-ins, or have substantial scenes set therein. Surprised at how many there are. Another list I'd like to start compiling for the challenge via Letterboxd.

yet another. MOVIE-TIE INS. Horror films that have a book written based on the screenplay or a novelization. These were popular back in the day and I have an old FANGORIA issue that lists many.
Old 11-08-14, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Evil Antiques?
Old 11-09-14, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Evil Antiques?
That's a good one
Old 11-09-14, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd like to see "Radio Horror" added as an option to the checklist, the way "Literary Horror" is now. There are so many good radio dramas to choose from. Could also be expanded to audiobooks.
Old 11-09-14, 10:22 PM

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
I'd like to see "Radio Horror" added as an option to the checklist, the way "Literary Horror" is now. There are so many good radio dramas to choose from. Could also be expanded to audiobooks.
Good idea. I also tend to favour lumping listening to audiobooks with radio/audio, rather than with physically reading a book. (Not that I have anything against them, but I tend to think it's a different experience..)

Personally, I'd like to (continue to) see some 'staples' of the genre permanently attached to the actors/directors lists - e.g. Karloff, Price, Cushing & Lee - alongside the niche-r and more obscure. It's nice to be inspired by new names, but it can be terribly hard to track down anything they've been in to actually watch.
Old 11-10-14, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

100% agree with this... atleast a month.
Old 11-11-14, 07:25 PM

I can see the merit in discouraging competition or curtailing arguments but it seems like the person who watches the most stuff should automatically win some prize, if there are to be prizes.
Old 11-12-14, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

First time I popped into the feedback thread. I just can't stay away from this challenge I guess. +1 to finalizing theme nights and subsets early.
Old 11-12-14, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I can see the merit in discouraging competition or curtailing arguments but it seems like the person who watches the most stuff should automatically win some prize, if there are to be prizes.
We don't need to get the challenge shut down yet another year, even if it was only a temp shut down.
Old 11-12-14, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I can see this resulting in people going all out trying to get 300 watches and massive fights ensuing questioning the legitimacy of other lists and people getting butt hurt like in years past.
Old 11-12-14, 10:00 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
We don't need to get the challenge shut down yet another year, even if it was only a temp shut down.
Yeah, even if the thread isn't in danger, I'd be against any incentive to watch the most. It just encourages cheating or making up numbers.

Maybe a new incentive could be one to encourage discussion or other forum participation?
Old 11-12-14, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I can see this resulting in people going all out trying to get 300 watches...
Really? The things people will do for a >$30 disc. I hereby offer someone a copy of Prom Night on blu-ray to clean my garage and mow by lawn.
Old 11-12-14, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really? The things people will do for a >$30 disc. I hereby offer someone a copy of Prom Night on blu-ray to clean my garage and mow by lawn.
How about just the lawn for Prom Night 2/3?
Old 11-12-14, 01:33 PM

Received 215 Likes on 159 Posts

Maybe a new incentive could be one to encourage discussion or other forum participation?
I like this idea--it levels the playing field to a certain degree. For instance, this year, I only got in 32 movies because I have a full-time job and a part-time job. I truly had only about three hours of anything resembling down-time from the time I got up in the morning until the time I went to bed. Under those circumstances, it's nearly impossible to get in more than a watch or two per day (except for weekends, naturally). Whereas watching a movie takes somewhere around an hour and a half, writing a comment about one, or replying to someone else's comment about one, takes only a few minutes. I know that I enjoy reading others' comments about the films they're watching, and I get a lot of leads for movies that I should watch from them. With more people discussing what they've watched, everybody wins.
Old 11-12-14, 02:49 PM

Maybe the subset film checklist should not be to watch a film on that list but to COMMENT on a film to count a check, honor system such as it is.
Old 11-12-14, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Yeah, even if the thread isn't in danger, I'd be against any incentive to watch the most. It just encourages cheating or making up numbers.

Originally Posted by rbrown498
I like this idea--it levels the playing field to a certain degree. For instance, this year, I only got in 32 movies because I have a full-time job and a part-time job. I truly had only about three hours of anything resembling down-time from the time I got up in the morning until the time I went to bed. Under those circumstances, it's nearly impossible to get in more than a watch or two per day (except for weekends, naturally). Whereas watching a movie takes somewhere around an hour and a half, writing a comment about one, or replying to someone else's comment about one, takes only a few minutes. I know that I enjoy reading others' comments about the films they're watching, and I get a lot of leads for movies that I should watch from them. With more people discussing what they've watched, everybody wins.
I like this idea too.
Old 11-12-14, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 962 Likes on 590 Posts

As long as you watched a minimal amount of movies and participated in the threads a bit, I think random prizes does its job (and this is coming from someone who did not get a random prize this time around).
Old 11-12-14, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I'm also against giving prizes to whoever watches the most. I think participation prizes would be much more relevant and would be more beneficial to the challenge (creating discussion) than someone just adding numbers to their list. Not sure how that kind of thing would work though. And as Spiderbite says, I think the random prizes do their job anyway.

I am, however, for finalizing the checklist etc way ahead of time, because it gives me more time to plan and I love planning But I know how much work goes into doing that, so it's not a big deal.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.