Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Super Sentai Zuranger Complete Series (Shout Factory)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-26-14, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Holy crap I'm buying this!

http://toybox.io9.com/the-true-power...59/+rtgonzalez

The true Power Rangers are coming to the West for the first time ever

If you were a child of the 90's, looking at the picture above will probably elicit the response of 'Yeah, Power Rangers!' - but you're only kinda-sorta right. These are really the Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger, and they're making their way to the west for the very first time.

Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger was the 16th Super Sentai show in Japan - you can read more about the genre's development, and Marvel's role in it, here - but American audiences will recognise them as the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

Zyuranger was made in 1992, when Saban and Toei brought the idea over to the west they decided to use the Giant Robot and combat sequences from Zyuranger as the basis for a new western adaptation. The original Sentai - Legendary human warriors from a time when Dinosaurs and Humanity lived in harmony (hence the Dino-themed Zords), who were awoken from suspended animation to fight the evil Rita Repulsa Bandora - were replaced by the American 'teenagers with attitude' we came to know and love, but aside from that, MMPR's first series featured scenes and combat sequences from all 50 episodes of Zyuranger spliced in. So while MMPR fans are familiar with the series in a certain way, they've never had the chance to see the original show as it was intended, until now.

The true Power Rangers are coming to the West for the first time ever

Shout Factory will be putting out the complete series on DVD, although there's no current release date revealed there is this box art that they revealed on their Tumblr, depicting the original heroes Geki, Goushi, Dan, Boi and Mei as well as their more familiar appearances in their Sentai suits. The box art seems to imply that they'll be bringing more Super Sentai series to the west, but I guess it makes sense to kick it all off with the series that truly introduced the concept to mainstream US audiences.

It might be the Nostalgia talking, but we might have got the better opening song. Or at least, the most nineties one.

[Comics Alliance]
Box Art spoilerilzed for size
Spoiler:
Old 10-28-14, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Super Sentai Zuranger Complete Series (Shout Factory)

Will it be dubbed or in Japanese with subs.? (Hopefully the latter.)

I have several dozen episodes of Zyuranger on VHS in Japanese with no translation. I'd buy the whole series if it was subbed.

When MMPR first came on I showed an episode of Zyuranger to my then-ten-year-old daughter and her friends and one boy sat there in awe, saying "My friends aren't going to believe me when I tell them I saw this." When I asked him later in the week how it went, he said they didn't believe him, except for one girl who noticed that the Yellow Ranger didn't have a skirt on her costume like the Pink Ranger which bolstered the boy's story that the Yellow Ranger in the Japanese original was a boy, not a girl.
Old 01-23-15, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Will it be dubbed or in Japanese with subs.? (Hopefully the latter.)

I have several dozen episodes of Zyuranger on VHS in Japanese with no translation. I'd buy the whole series if it was subbed.

When MMPR first came on I showed an episode of Zyuranger to my then-ten-year-old daughter and her friends and one boy sat there in awe, saying "My friends aren't going to believe me when I tell them I saw this." When I asked him later in the week how it went, he said they didn't believe him, except for one girl who noticed that the Yellow Ranger didn't have a skirt on her costume like the Pink Ranger which bolstered the boy's story that the Yellow Ranger in the Japanese original was a boy, not a girl.
sorry to bump this old of thread but a friend of mine already received theirs and it does in fact have subs (bonus they are yellow so it's easier to read). I've heard the show is pretty bad and from what i've seen on youtube I agree. I still pre-ordered it because I'm a big fan of some of the later(and some earlier) Sentai shows and I'm guessing future releases are based on the success of this. I am a little curious to see the entire season as well.
Old 01-23-15, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83

[Comics Alliance]
Box Art spoilerilzed for size
Spoiler:
Cool. Cool cool cool.
Old 01-24-15, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by paradicelost
sorry to bump this old of thread but a friend of mine already received theirs and it does in fact have subs (bonus they are yellow so it's easier to read). I've heard the show is pretty bad and from what i've seen on youtube I agree. I still pre-ordered it because I'm a big fan of some of the later(and some earlier) Sentai shows and I'm guessing future releases are based on the success of this. I am a little curious to see the entire season as well.
Thanks for the update. I'm eager to get this. I wonder if the price ($39.99) will come down before too long. (Although I paid more than that for the handful of volumes I have of the original Zyuranger series. I have about four tapes with four eps. each and I'm guessing I paid $50-$60 total for them 20 or so years ago.)
Old 01-24-15, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know I came close to paying over a $100 for the entire series of Timeranger without subs. Hopefully this is successful since Shout has announced that Dairanger will be their next release (if everything goes well with Zyuranger). Great news but even if they release two a year it will be awhile before they get to the great seasons like Megaranger, GoGoV, or TimeRanger. I may too old to enjoy Gokaiger or ToQger if they ever get a release.
Old 01-26-15, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

What's with that dude on the right side of the cover? Did someone paste that guy from Community's face on this???
Old 01-26-15, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Just checked the link. Have to assume this is the real picture but this looks like a worse paste job on that head:

Old 01-26-15, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just watched the "Happy Birthday Zack" episode of MMPR and it includes a flashback to Rita's monster in a previous battle and it's a shot from Zyuranger with the guy on the right in the picture above in that exact costume battling the monster. I wonder if that's the only shot used in MMPR where we get to see a Zyuranger character out of costume.
Old 02-09-15, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, Amazon gives only one entry for "Language": English. Can anyone who has this set confirm for me firsthand that there is a Japanese track with English subs.?

Thank you.
Old 02-15-15, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is from Shout Factory, I can't see it getting released without subs. I got the 3 Japanese Transformers series & they are all subbed.
Old 02-18-15, 09:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I got mine yesterday from Amazon. I only had time to watch about 10 minutes of one episode but I can confirm Japanese audio (the only choice as far as I could tell) with removable English subtitles. The subs are yellow, easy to read and include the lyrics to the opening song and the monster names that flash on the screen when the beasties first appear. From this quick look it seems that Shout Factory did a pretty good job.
Old 02-18-15, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by omike
I got mine yesterday from Amazon. I only had time to watch about 10 minutes of one episode but I can confirm Japanese audio (the only choice as far as I could tell) with removable English subtitles. The subs are yellow, easy to read and include the lyrics to the opening song and the monster names that flash on the screen when the beasties first appear. From this quick look it seems that Shout Factory did a pretty good job.
Great news...thank you! Just what I wanted to hear. Time to order...
Old 07-02-22, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Shout Factory is getting back into the Super Sentai game with Chikyuu Sentai Fiveman. The DVD is coming on September 20th, and it’s not going to be on TokuSHOUTsu.

Preorders are up on Shout’s website, where it’ll be an exclusive for some unspecified number of months.
Old 07-05-22, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, this thread is a blast from the past. Since my hesitancy expressed seven years ago, I've acquired and enjoyed every Super Sentai box set release from Shout Factory. My favorite so far is Chojin Sentai Jetman (1991), the only season released by Shout Factory (until the upcoming Fiveman) that was never adapted for Power Rangers. I have a whole shelf of these sets. I especially loved Gekisou Sentai Carrangers, the basis for Power Rangers Turbo. It's the one season played explicitly for laughs--and it's very funny.

Of course, I'll always have a special affection for Zyuranger, my first exposure to Super Sentai:

The following 2 users liked this post by Ash Ketchum:
Adam Tyner (07-05-22), PhantomStranger (07-06-22)
Old 07-06-22, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

If you're that into Super Sentai, I highly recommend checking out the anime Samurai Flamenco. Hilarious and inspired deconstruction/spoof of that genre.
Old 09-07-22, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Our latest Super Sentai release, Bakuryū Sentai Abaranger: The Complete Series, is available for preorder and exclusive EARLY shipment as a part of our new Shout Debut program*!

The meteorite believed to have once killed off the dinosaurs actually rattled the Earth into two parallel universes — Another Earth and Dino Earth, where dinosaurs continued to thrive. Now they have evolved into the Saurians, a race of humanoid dinosaurs, and the Bakuryū, a race of mechanized dinosaurs. But the wall between our universes has been breached. The Evolians that have been at war with the Saurians and Bakuryuū have invaded, and it's up to the Abarangers to protect the world!

Bakuryū Sentai Abaranger: The Complete Series streets on November 8, 2022. Includes all 50 episodes!
Link!
Old 12-12-22, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^
Why is this not on Amazon? I've never ordered from Shout Factory before.
Old 12-12-22, 02:53 PM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

It's supposed to be exclusive to Shout Factory for a few months then available everywhere else later. But they haven't said how long it will be exclusive to their website.

For what its worth, I have ordered from the SF website, and they shipped quickly and in boxes and never had any problems.
Old 01-27-23, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Getting a wider retail release in April (I'm assuming)!