DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/622672-100-movies-31-days-10th-annual-october-horror-movie-challenge-oct-1-31-pt-2-a.html)

SterlingBen 10-04-14 01:26 AM

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane (Post 12257405)
Good news & bad news. The bad news is that I watched Dracula 3000. The good news is that I can not possibly encounter a much WORSE movie for the remainder of the month.

I own that movie! It had my childhood crush in it. Miss July 1989!

shadokitty 10-04-14 01:27 AM

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

A few days ago I watched The House That Screamed on Hulu. The only saving grace I thought was it was an Elvira movie. Are all Elvira movies that unwatchable?

asianxcore 10-04-14 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by indiephantom (Post 12257140)
Looking forward to it. I was a pretty big fan of most of the shorts in the first, and I've avoided any spoilers. Don't even know the directors yet, but I'm all in for it tomorrow.

I only knew 1 or 2 before going in and like you I kept myself in the dark. If you are a genre fan, you'll have a grin on your face when you see some of the names involved in this one.

Finished watching Evil Dead (2013). I adore this film and love that Robert Tappert, Sam Raimi & Bruce Campbell were all involved in producing. The characters are shallow and mostly just fodder for sight gags, but the film is lean & unrelenting from beginning to end. It hits stomps on the gas pedal pretty early and doesn't stop until the credits roll.

brainee 10-04-14 02:14 AM

And mrm1138 almost tricked me into traveling back in time to 2006 to start my list! :lol:

To kick off my viewing, I had Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931) saved on my DVR from last month's TCM pre-code Hollywood showings. And it's certainly packed full of stuff that Hollywood couldn't get away with again until the sixties. This version absolutely crushes the bigger budgeted 1941 remake.

I saw Wes Craven's Deadly Blessing for the first time too. I liked how I wasn't really sure what was going on right up until the end. Unfortunately, when we got to the end it was awfully silly.
Spoiler:
After all that, it was a crazy cross-dressing hermaphrodite with a bad case of unrequited love. And he/she killed a few Amish guys ... I guess because they piss her/him off. And that's not counting the "real" monster that pops out at the end literally out of nowhere - it struck me like a cheap attempt at a final jump scare ala Carrie and Friday the 13th.

shadokitty 10-04-14 02:48 AM

Just watched my first Universal film for the month by revisiting The Wolf Man. I've always had a fondness for the Universal Monsters. Maybe it's because I grew up watching them on Saturday matinees on tv.

jacob_b 10-04-14 03:05 AM

So far, my favorite films I've watched have been Sleepaway Camp and Dolls. Really surprised that even though these are older films, the acting isn't bad (Dolls had characters I really enjoyed) and outside the fashion and effects, it's pretty well done to today's time.

shadokitty 10-04-14 03:26 AM

I dozed off earlier tonight, but since then have been wide awake. So thought why not put my insomnia tonight to good use and work on the Challenge. Horror lends itself well to late night viewing anyways.

hbilly 10-04-14 04:56 AM

Watched my first and hopefully last dud this October. Something called "Day of the Ax". Warning: don't watch anything released by Brain Damage Films.

indiephantom 10-04-14 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by SethDLH (Post 12257248)
Wow, all of the Psycho sequels are surprisingly entertaining and decent. I had nothing to base my preconceived notions that part 4 would suck but I am pleasantly surprised. I'm hoping the Bates Motel made for tv movie will be as good.

Totally agree with this. I've been a fan of all 4 in the series with Perkins from the beginning. Always said is was the most consistent of horror series. If memory serves that Bates Motel was a disappointment, but I haven't seen it since I was young.

shadokitty 10-04-14 06:38 AM

Even before breakfast I started my day long horror marathon today with Texas Chainsaw. Keeping in mind that I am not very familiar with the TCM franchise, so can't really make comparisons to the other movies, but it seemed like a decent enough movie, and I enjoyed the ending.

BobO'Link 10-04-14 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by shadokitty (Post 12257468)
A few days ago I watched The House That Screamed on Hulu. The only saving grace I thought was it was an Elvira movie. Are all Elvira movies that unwatchable?

IMHO it's actually one of the better films she's skewered and rather undeserving of such treatment, but she's still a hoot! One of those "lost classic" type films, although the print on the Elivra version is rather bad. If that's what you are asking about, then yes, most are that unwatchable.

Originally Posted by shadokitty (Post 12257506)
Just watched my first Universal film for the month by revisiting The Wolf Man. I've always had a fondness for the Universal Monsters. Maybe it's because I grew up watching them on Saturday matinees on tv.

That's the same way I was introduced to the Universal Monster films. It was great! The station which aired them around here actually had the unedited version of Frankenstein (you saw the monster toss the girl into the water like she'd done with the flowers - a scene which was edited from most broadcast versions). I started my grandson on those and he really likes them! :)

BobO'Link 10-04-14 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by brainee (Post 12257495)
To kick off my viewing, I had Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931) saved on my DVR from last month's TCM pre-code Hollywood showings. And it's certainly packed full of stuff that Hollywood couldn't get away again until the sixties. This version absolutely crushes the bigger budgeted 1941 remake.

The 1931 version is one of my favorites. I've never understood all the love for the 1941 version with Spencer Tracy. It's good, but not *that* good. Yet the 1941 version is the one that gets all the re-releases while 1931 production is currently OOP. Perhaps that's because the later release is more "kid friendly."

J. Farley 10-04-14 07:52 AM

Just watched Satan Place: Soap Opera from Hell, an incredibly obscure anthology, and wow, what a trip. Definitely a one of a kind experience. It's ultra low-budget, trashy, truly bizarre and has some hilarious characters. I had a blast with it.

I also revisited Jaws 3 for the first time in well over a decade. I'd only seen it once before and hated it, but I enjoyed it for the cheesy little treat it is this time around. Bess Armstrong didn't hurt either, and the shark hunter has one of the most miserable deaths you could imagine.

shadokitty 10-04-14 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 12257560)
The 1931 version is one of my favorites. I've never understood all the love for the 1941 version with Spencer Tracy. It's good, but not *that* good. Yet the 1941 version is the one that gets all the re-releases while 1931 production is currently OOP. Perhaps that's because the later release is more "kid friendly."

I haven't watched it yet, but I think the one on my DVR is the 1931 version. I recorded it off of TCM, and it is the one with Frederic March.

Gobear 10-04-14 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by shadokitty (Post 12257588)
I haven't watched it yet, but I think the one on my DVR is the 1931 version. I recorded it off of TCM, and it is the one with Frederic March.

That's the one. I watched it last year for the challenge, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The 1920 silent version with John Barrymore is also worth a watch.

Trevor 10-04-14 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by shadokitty (Post 12257588)

Originally Posted by Gobear (Post 12257601)
That's the one. I watched it last year for the challenge, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The 1920 silent version with John Barrymore is also worth a watch.

The Jeykll & Hyde story has always been one of my favorites, and I can never resist buying DVDs of the different versions of the story. I think I'm well over 20 now. When I started the obsession I thought there'd be only 4 or 5.

Spiderbite 10-04-14 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 12256815)
Last night I watched Wolf Creek for the Summer theme. Boy, this one was heavy, I think it fills my quota for grim, brutal film this year. Last year I watched The Girl Next Door which I'm still recovering from. Wolf Creek was very well done, and the movie hinged entirely on the performance of John Jarratt as the seemingly friendly villain. He is instantly likable yet there is a darkness lurking underneath that comes to the surface at just the right moments. The film featured some beautiful shots of Australian landscapes and there was consistent tension as the leads tried to escape the sadistic Aussie.

I am going to one-up you and challenge you to see Martyrs (2008) if you haven't already seen it. I watched this last night and just wanted it to end...but in a good way if that makes any sense.

It was one of the most brutal watches I have had to endure in a long time. It is kinda like a cross between Hostel and Human Centipede but not as crass (for lack of a better word). And that really probably isn't a great comparison. All I know is that the French can sure make some fucked up movies.

I highly recommend this movie for those of you who haven't seen it. But it is one of those movies that I don't know if I could watch again anytime soon.

lrend 10-04-14 10:50 AM

I watched Byzantium last night. It started off slow but it actually ended pretty good. I'm not sure I would recommend it though.

asianxcore 10-04-14 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by lrend (Post 12257667)
I watched Byzantium last night. It started off slow but it actually ended pretty good. I'm not sure I would recommend it though.

I really enjoyed Gemma Arterton's role in that film, as well as Neil Jordan doing another Vampire film but I didn't like Saoirse Ronan in it.

I'm past the halfway point to my goal of 31. Watching films like a madman because I know I (probably) won't have time later this month.

Spiderbite 10-04-14 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by lrend (Post 12257667)

I really enjoyed that movie when I saw it months ago and would not hesitate to recommend it. Great vampire flick.

DaveyJoe 10-04-14 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite (Post 12257654)
I am going to one-up you and challenge you to see Martyrs (2008) if you haven't already seen it. I watched this last night and just wanted it to end...but in a good way if that makes any sense.

It was one of the most brutal watches I have had to endure in a long time. It is kinda like a cross between Hostel and Human Centipede but not as crass (for lack of a better word). And that really probably isn't a great comparison. All I know is that the French can sure make some fucked up movies.

I highly recommend this movie for those of you who haven't seen it. But it is one of those movies that I don't know if I could watch again anytime soon.

You know, as a French horror fan, Martys has been on my list for years, but I've just never gotten around to it. I was going to check it out for this year's challenge, I even moved it to the top of my Netflix queue, but after Wolf Creek, I'm not sure I want to watch another movie like that so soon. Your comments have reignited my interest, though, I must accept your challenge. I will try to fit this in before the end of the month!

Undeadcow 10-04-14 11:16 AM

A Bucket of Blood was much better than I expected.

I was disappointed in Martyrs; the first half is really good but the last half and especially the end are eyerolling levels of bad to the point of ruining the movie. Maybe I'm due to watch it again or had too high expectations when I saw it. It was refreshingly brutal and serious without being too trendy (or interjecting irreverent humor) just wish it'd have gone in a different direction.

mightysparks 10-04-14 11:16 AM

Got through a few films today:

Bijitā Q (2001) was pretty dull, aside from a few funny/awkward moments. Frankenstein (1994) was too melodramatic and fluffy (and I'm not a fan of the book, so the fact that it followed it closely didn't help). Scream and Scream Again (1970) was weird, but not that entertaining. Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers (1988) I liked better than the first, thought it was fun and funny. The Signal (2007), I thought I was going to hate and it's been my first favourite of the challenge. One of the strangest films I've ever seen, the second part is hilarious, and I'd gone in expecting generic crap. Also AJ Bowen is really hot. Hasta el viento tiene miedo (1968) was a standard, cheesy ghost story. ABCs of Death 2 (2014) was uneven and no really great segments (I thought the same more or less about the first one, but it had Libido). So, pretty happy to get a new favourite in especially when it was something I was sure I was going to hate - I've put if off for YEARS.

Clock's gone over midnight, but going to fit in one more before bed.

brainee 10-04-14 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite (Post 12257654)

Originally Posted by Undeadcow (Post 12257701)
I was disappointed in Martyrs; the first half is really good but the last half and especially the end are eyerolling levels of bad to the point of ruining the movie. Maybe I'm due to watch it again or had too high expectations when I saw it. It was refreshingly brutal and serious without being too trendy (or interjecting irreverent humor) just wish it'd have gone in a different direction.

I really liked Martyrs (if like is a word you can use for a movie like this). For me, where it went in the end is what elevated it from being just another brutal home invasion/torture movie. Though I can certainly understand how this movie divides viewers, even horror fans.

Trevor 10-04-14 01:19 PM

I just watched The ABCs of Death and don't think I'll be watching the sequel. A couple of interesting moments, but way too much gross.