Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-14, 07:58 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Full disclosure: I work with lrend so...

I'm the source of the film that was viewed (and a dozen or so others for this year) and try my best to get older material in lrend's hands but it's not always successful. lrend is also the person who loaned me the Rob Zombie movies. To say our tastes in horror are almost polar opposites is, on occasion, a understatement. Many of the older (pre 80s or so) horror films I've loaned have been returned with a "It was kind of boring" type review so this is high praise indeed!
I actually enjoyed it. I also watched Count Dracula's Great Love and it was pretty good too. I watched Snow White: A Tale of Terror today and I really enjoyed it. I'm excited to watch Black Sabbath and Black Sunday.
Old 10-03-14, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 10th Annual October Horror Movie Challenge (Oct 1-31) Pt

Originally Posted by asianxcore
It's almost like if you make a Horror film not quite look like a Horror film, it automatically gets attention/praise nowadays. The Battery (2012) felt like two people wandering and sitting around for 101 minutes.
I like a mix of things in horror films, but the thing I like most about zombie films is when they focus on the people. For me The Battery was an unromanticised version of the zombie apocalypse, focusing on the 'boredom' of it and how 2 different people deal with it. I really love that kind of thing. The Spanish film, 'The Desert' (which I think still hasn't been released) is very similar - 3 people boarded up in an apartment and you never see outside the apartment as it focuses on a love triangle (isn't as soap opera-y as it sounds) and the boredom/slight cabin fever. Not all films do that WELL (Dead Within was just boring and not very good), but I'm happy more films like that are coming out and getting attention - I don't read any horror news, so didn't know what the general reception was to The Battery, but I'm glad to hear it's generally positive.
Old 10-03-14, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, all of the Psycho sequels are surprisingly entertaining and decent. I had nothing to base my preconceived notions that part 4 would suck but I am pleasantly surprised. I'm hoping the Bates Motel made for tv movie will be as good.
Old 10-03-14, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The Daimajin trilogy was a nice change of pace as far as Kaiju films go, and pretty spectacular effects considering the time period. That said, it tends to repeat the same formula every film:

-Villagers pray to avoid vengeful side of demon god statue sitting atop mountain
-Rival clans from nearby villages clash; winner takes prisoners to forced labor camps
-Villagers continue praying
-Other than occasional 'act of god', majin remains idle for 90% of the movie
-Prisoner(s) attempt escape, fail, and are sentenced to be executed
-Villagers catch wind of this and start praying really fucking hard
-Statue rises; Hulk smash

Anyway, off to catch Afflicted. Been hearing good things.
Old 10-03-14, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Currently drinking:

As I watch Sam Neil and his wife go insane in this:

If anyone needs a Cronenberg fix but they are out of Cronenberg flix, check this one out.
Old 10-03-14, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
On top of my brief reviews from yesterday's viewing I watched Annabelle today and wrote a full review on it if anyone is considering seeing it this weekend and wants some thoughts on it - http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...elle-2014.html
Was going to see if anyone saw this. Your quote "In fact "bad and cheap" can describe many of the issues this film has." was the exact issue I had with the trailer and I wrote about. It looks awful, rushed (which is another word I believe you used) and basically nothing like the Conjuring, which isn't a good thing seeing as how much money that film made.

If you already paid money for the film, might as well check it out right?
With only so much time in the day (and the Giants keep winning), got to pick and decide which films to watch. That said, since I already own it, I can watch it any time. I want to use my time for good tasting horror

The ABCs of Death 2 (2014) wasn't too shabby.

There are a lot of bad to mediocre shorts again in this entry, but the high points are worth the wait.

None hit quite as hard as Timo Tjahjanto's "L is for Libido" from the first film, but there are a few that come close (Chris Nash's "Z is for Zygote" is awesome).
I really hated the first one expect maybe 4-5 shorts. Just utter trash. I won't waste my money again on this, but since I do LOVE Tristan Risk, I am curious how the Soskas' entry was?
Old 10-03-14, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Bio-Zombie is really fun, enjoyed that one a lot and has been a standout so far.

First time viewing of Jacob's Ladder was enjoyable but seemed overly political and not as gonzo as I'd expected.
Old 10-03-14, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Was going to see if anyone saw this. Your quote "In fact "bad and cheap" can describe many of the issues this film has." was the exact issue I had with the trailer and I wrote about. It looks awful, rushed (which is another word I believe you used) and basically nothing like the Conjuring, which isn't a good thing seeing as how much money that film made.
The Conjuring was also pretty successful at being an effective and well made film. Annabelle simply isn't. I think you'll be on the same page as me judging by your comments so I would suggest saving your $.
Old 10-03-14, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Just watched Urban Legend. A 1998 movie, one of the first DVD's that I ever bought back when DVD's were first released.. Not a bad movie, I enjoyed it very much.

What would you think of Apocolypto as a horror movie? It has a lot of the elements, blood, dismemberment, chase scenes, sacrifice, murder? I was scrolling through the TV and came across this.
I never thought to use this one, but it's a good candidate.
Old 10-03-14, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Bio-Zombie is really fun, enjoyed that one a lot and has been a standout so far.
Dubbed or subbed?

Originally Posted by JOE29
What would you think of Apocolypto as a horror movie? It has a lot of the elements, blood, dismemberment, chase scenes, sacrifice, murder? I was scrolling through the TV and came across this.
Did not strike me as one.
Old 10-03-14, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Dubbed or subbed?
I caught the dubbed version of Bio-Zombie; I think I recall someone saying the dubbed version was better in the case of Bio-Zombie. Is there much difference?
Old 10-03-14, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I wouldn't classify Apocalypto as horror. It lacks ghosts, vampires, werewolves, demons or reanimated corpses. They are Mayans, not monsters.
Old 10-03-14, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SethDLH
The Conjuring was also pretty successful at being an effective and well made film. Annabelle simply isn't. I think you'll be on the same page as me judging by your comments so I would suggest saving your $.
And some great actors. This had no big name actors and not that based on a true story feel that it should have had. Sadly, I'll end up seeing this on, but thanks to playoff baseball, might keep getting pushed back. My friend is just curious about the doll, but we both know it will be trash. I'm praying to the horror gods that this gets destroyed by Gone Girl in the box office, though it will still be a "success" thanks to a $5M budget.

Just watched Urban Legend. A 1998 movie, one of the first DVD's that I ever bought back when DVD's were first released.. Not a bad movie, I enjoyed it very much.
This movie I liked. I knew going into it that it would be your classic 90's teen cheese actors, but you knew there would be nice kills based off of urban legends. Always down for some urban legends.
Old 10-03-14, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would there be any strong objections if one was to add The Incredible Shrinking Man to one's film count if it was being shown as part of a "horror host" television program? If you have MeTV in your area, it will be playing on Svengoolie tomorrow evening (check your local listings). Also, I guess the Museum of Broadcast Communications in Chicago is holding a special "Evening with Rich Koz" on October 10, where they'll be unveiling a new Svengoolie exhibit. As much as I would love to attend, I think I'll just wait for him to show excerpts from the evening on his show.
Old 10-03-14, 10:51 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Haven't you had hardware issues just about *every* Horror Challenge?
Ghost in the machine?
Old 10-03-14, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I caught the dubbed version of Bio-Zombie; I think I recall someone saying the dubbed version was better in the case of Bio-Zombie. Is there much difference?
This was me for dubbed being the better version. You defiantly didn't get Bill and Ted from the sub.
Old 10-03-14, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=jacob_b;12257318 This movie I liked. I knew going into it that it would be your classic 90's teen cheese actors, but you knew there would be nice kills based off of urban legends. Always down for some urban legends.[/QUOTE]

My wife recognized one of the actors from Dawsons Creek. That was pretty funny.
Old 10-03-14, 11:05 PM

Also does anyone have a good source for horror movies made for kids? Not trash like Sherk does generic Halloween or Vampire Air Bud.

I am thinking movies like
Ice Cream Man
The Willies
The Gate

ect.
"Made for," is a little subjective, excepting three-quarters of Scooby-Doo, the just-out Toy Story of Terror, and a few others. Ghostbusters is family-friendly, obviously, and my daughter (really, really) loves Monster Squad.

We'll also probably wind up watching Disney's Halloweentown, don't have The Watcher in the Woods, though. (At the moment, riding high on Monster Squad, we're heading onwards to Universal Monsters...! )
Old 10-03-14, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by dcrw6
...luckily my son only recently has gotten old enough to actually pay attention to films and care about seeing them so now I can plan around for him. I got to show him Monster Squad for the first time and it was really nice to share that with him. And I always forget how damn well made that movie is.
Yeah! It is very entertaining, and even surprisingly deep occasionally (don't judge by appearances gets hammered home on a dozen different occasions). Plus, every year I forget there's a closing credits theme song, so it's become a yearly pleasant surprise!
Old 10-03-14, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gobear
I'm assuming we're omitting concert films and just counting films that highlight one band's/ performer's music on the soundtrack. Bob Dylan got I'm Not There, Talking Heads had True Stories (which seriously needs a Blu upgrade), and Prince had several films, most notably Purple Rain. The Who also had Quadrophenia, which is a Criterion must-own.
Soundtrack by one band... Queen and Flash Gordon.
Old 10-03-14, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Good news & bad news. The bad news is that I watched Dracula 3000. The good news is that I can not possibly encounter a much WORSE movie for the remainder of the month.
Old 10-03-14, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I just finished up Nightmare on Elm Street 3 with a friend, and we're now moving on to my new Blu-ray of Sleepaway Camp. It's my friend's first time watching it. It should be interesting to see what she thinks of it!

I don't see it at all as a horror movie.

Originally Posted by nezumi
Would there be any strong objections if one was to add The Incredible Shrinking Man to one's film count if it was being shown as part of a "horror host" television program? If you have MeTV in your area, it will be playing on Svengoolie tomorrow evening (check your local listings). Also, I guess the Museum of Broadcast Communications in Chicago is holding a special "Evening with Rich Koz" on October 10, where they'll be unveiling a new Svengoolie exhibit. As much as I would love to attend, I think I'll just wait for him to show excerpts from the evening on his show.
Incredible Melting Man is classified as horror, and we're allowed to watch movies with horror hosts. In fact, horror host is one of the possibilities on the optional checklist. I would say that as long as you watch the whole movie, give or take some cuts that are usually made for TV, you should be gold.
Old 10-03-14, 11:50 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Currently drinking:
I'm jealous of all the different beers you are able to get your hands on.
Old 10-04-14, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown
Escape From Tomorrow was disappointing, in that I have no idea what I just watched. Half hour of perv dad followed by an hour of WTF is going on now? I had my hopes way too high for this one.
Originally Posted by indiephantom
I really dug this one. It's a nice trippy choice, but I can understand anyone not liking it.
I found Escape From Tomorrow lukewarm also, pretentious with some pacing problems but it oozed style and started from a cool idea (even if execution was hit/miss). Not enough substance.
Old 10-04-14, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
I just finished up Nightmare on Elm Street 3 with a friend, and we're now moving on to my new Blu-ray of Sleepaway Camp. It's my friend's first time watching it. It should be interesting to see what she thinks of it!
Just did my first time viewing of Sleepaway Camp via YouTube. Let us know what she thinks of it!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.