DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

How Many DVDs?

Old 06-21-14, 11:25 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: MT, USA
Posts: 746
How Many DVDs?

I now buy maybe 1 film a year, and am watching favorites I bought 10 years ago. Have maybe 300 films.

Been awhile since I've been on this forum, and am wondering how crazy some of you still are.
MrVette99 is offline  
Old 06-21-14, 12:27 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,614
Re: How Many DVDs?

Originally Posted by MrVette99 View Post
I now buy maybe 1 film a year, and am watching favorites I bought 10 years ago. Have maybe 300 films.

Been awhile since I've been on this forum, and am wondering how crazy some of you still are.
Given all the Mill Creek 50-film sets I've been getting, I have more than 300 films on just one shelf alone out of half-a-dozen bookcases devoted to DVDs. I still have films I taped off TV 30 years ago that I haven't yet watched. So don't worry, we're much crazier than you.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 06-22-14 at 05:36 AM.
Ash Ketchum is offline  
Old 06-21-14, 12:37 PM
  #3  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,615
Re: How Many DVDs?

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Given all the Mill Creek 50-film sets I've been getting, I have more than 300 films on just one shelf out of half-a-dozen bookcases devoted to DVDs. I still have films I taped off TV 30 years ago that I haven't yet watched. So don't worry, we're much crazier than you.
I'm afraid to count how many films or discs I own.
Trevor is offline  
Old 06-21-14, 01:22 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
EdTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 14,481
Re: How Many DVDs?

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I'm afraid to count how many films or discs I own.
Same. Back when DVDSpot was still around, I was inching close to the top 5 largest collections listed on the site. I've slowed down some since then, but not a lot.
EdTheRipper is offline  
Old 06-21-14, 01:45 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 55,771
Re: How Many DVDs?

I've dropped down to maybe 1 or 2 per month.

I think the main thing is people are realizing there is simply isn't enough time to watch hundreds/thousands of movies on disc in addition to TV, Netflix, Video game etc or whatever entertainment options there are. Plus, disposable income for alot here isn't the same as in the past. I'd rather save money for a vacation or pay my bills than have 20-100 discs sitting on my shelf unwatched.

I just dumped about 70-80 discs/sets (BD, TV shows, DVD) from my collection recently that I know I would never touch.
DJariya is offline  
Old 06-21-14, 02:10 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: MT, USA
Posts: 746
Re: How Many DVDs?

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I've dropped down to maybe 1 or 2 per month.

I think the main thing is people are realizing there is simply isn't enough time to watch hundreds/thousands of movies on disc in addition to TV, Netflix, Video game etc or whatever entertainment options there are. Plus, disposable income for alot here isn't the same as in the past. I'd rather save money for a vacation or pay my bills than have 20-100 discs sitting on my shelf unwatched.

I just dumped about 70-80 discs/sets (BD, TV shows, DVD) from my collection recently that I know I would never touch.
I bought into the Alias Series as it was nearing completion. It got to stupid for words and sold off the lot before I got 1/2 way thru it. Nearly the same with 24. How many times is it even remotely interesting to watch Jack Bauer just yell at someone to get them to confess operational details of the super top secret international terrorist plot. Honestly???

I can't remember back 4+ years, but there was some guy here that bought every version of a film. Really??? 3 or 4 nearly identical copies of the same film (theatrical release, extended release, directors cut, special edition, etc.).
MrVette99 is offline  
Old 06-21-14, 02:33 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
EdTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 14,481
Re: How Many DVDs?

Originally Posted by MrVette99 View Post
I can't remember back 4+ years, but there was some guy here that bought every version of a film. Really??? 3 or 4 nearly identical copies of the same film (theatrical release, extended release, directors cut, special edition, etc.).
Sounds like xage, and his collection of Evil Dead and Saw discs.
EdTheRipper is offline  
Old 06-21-14, 04:10 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BobO'Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,919
Re: How Many DVDs?

My database of what I own and have watched says 2030 movies. That does not include the ~410 TV season sets that I own and have watched. Add the ~700 unopened movies, ~350 unopened TV seasons and possibly include the 10-20 movies and 2-6 TV seasons I typically purchase in a month...

In spite of participating in most of the viewing challenges and pulling the majority of what I watch in those from my unopened piles they seem to grow faster than I pull things off. I haven't quite figured that one out...

If that's crazy then put me on the list...
BobO'Link is offline  
Old 06-21-14, 04:26 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 21,864
Re: How Many DVDs?

As many as the stars in the sky. Most sit unwatched these days, as I find it hard to watch theatrical content if it is not on Blu-ray or similar quality.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 06-21-14, 07:41 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 8,442
Re: How Many DVDs?

Far too many to count.
Alan Smithee is offline  
Old 06-21-14, 09:27 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwest
Posts: 3,422
Re: How Many DVDs?

I'm closing in on 1000 (counting TV season sets individually). I've been in the 900's for several years now, though, so I've definitely slowed down considerably since my heyday about 12 years ago when I was adding DVD's at a rate of about 20-30 a month.
joliom is offline  
Old 06-21-14, 09:34 PM
  #12  
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
kd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 9,388
Re: How Many DVDs?

I count TV seasons as 1: 802 DVDs/820 titles (according to DVD Profiler), counting everything: 1329 discs.

Last edited by kd5; 06-24-14 at 03:09 PM.
kd5 is offline  
Old 06-21-14, 09:41 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Hazel Motes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,061
Re: How Many DVDs?

I have just about 2000 dvd's and blu rays. About 700 blu's and 1300 dvds. But the blu's are catching up more and more. A lot of stuff I have isn't available on blu ray. Like a lot of Film Noir and old Gangster stuff. I'm updating my criterions VERY slowly. I started with the REALLY old criterion dvd's, which I've mostly upgraded to blu. But a lot of stuff I can't be bothered to upgrade. Like my Cassavetes 5 films set, my Fanny & Alexander deluxe edition box set and my Adventures of Antoine Doinel box set. The quality is so high on those and the sets are so nice, that I really have no desire to upgrade them at this point.

Plus I don't discriminate between blu's and dvd's, it really doesn't bother me if I have to watch something on dvd.
Hazel Motes is offline  
Old 06-21-14, 09:51 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
rbrown498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,394
Re: How Many DVDs?

According to Film Aficionado, I'm up to 4,205, which counts every package as one item. If you break it down further, I'm up to 5,348 titles and exactly 6,600 discs. About 400 of that first figure are Blu-rays.

Thanks to this thread, I'm now hell-bent to get rid of some of this crap.
rbrown498 is offline  
Old 06-21-14, 10:07 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 13,015
Re: How Many DVDs?

According to Aficionado I have 1200, which seems to be counting titles instead of discs.
milo bloom is offline  
Old 06-22-14, 02:01 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 8,442
Re: How Many DVDs?

Thanks to this thread, I'm now hell-bent to get rid of some of this crap.
Alan Smithee is offline  
Old 06-22-14, 10:43 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 1,402
Re: How Many DVDs?

My buying has significantly slowed down from what it was during my peak years of 2005-2008. I was in college from 2008-2010, so I didn't have a disposable income and buy the time I got a job, I think the collecting bug left me. I also joined Netflix in 2009, so that help with movies I just wanted to check out.

I've been collecting movies since the late 90s. First it was VHS (I think 1998 was when I actively began buying VHS tapes), then DVDs in late 2000. I think after collecting this stuff for over 15 years, I've reached a saturation point where I own most of what I want and don't feel a need to buy massive amounts of movies just to buy them. A couple years ago, I had over 870 titles in my collection. Now, I have around 750 and plan on dumping at least a dozen more titles I have no interest in revisiting.

Unlike comic books and video games, which I do like to reread/replay, I rarely feel like rewatching movies once I've seen them. Even in my early days, I rarely rewatched anything except for select anime, horror, and sci-fi movies. I think I had more fun discovering movies than actually collecting them. I loved going to Suncoast or FYE (anyone remember when it was called "The Wall"?) and just browsing the DVDs looking for something interesting to buy. It was pretty much the same feeling I would get when my brother and I would go to our local video store (which still exists, btw) on Fridays to look for horror movies to rent for the weekend.

Once I started to get rid of DVDs, I realized how easy it was and that I didn't need all those movies, most of which I watched once or maybe twice and had no desire to revisit. Having a near-constant backlog didn't help either. I got so sick of having a backlog of movies I either previously saw and kept skipping over or sat there for years until I had no desire to watch and dumped them. My backlog ended up becoming an annoyance and pain in the ass that I forced myself through, which I'm sure helped take a lot of the fun out of collecting. After I cleared my backlog up early last year, I began taking a more critical approach to buying movies. Usually, before I buy a movie, I ask myself if I would watch it again. I find the answer is overwhelmingly "no".
big e is offline  
Old 06-22-14, 12:39 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,784
Re: How Many DVDs?

Originally Posted by rbrown498 View Post
According to Film Aficionado, I'm up to 4,205, which counts every package as one item. If you break it down further, I'm up to 5,348 titles and exactly 6,600 discs. About 400 of that first figure are Blu-rays.

Thanks to this thread, I'm now hell-bent to get rid of some of this crap.
I read through some of that, but got a little sidetracked musing how apparent non-DVD-collectors wound up at DVDTalk...

I have too many DVDs, Blu-rays, probably books and comics, too. But I watch and read them as well as just collect them, so I rationalise it as normal enough. Probably in the 1000s.
ntnon is offline  
Old 06-22-14, 12:46 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,784
Re: How Many DVDs?

Originally Posted by big e View Post
Once I started to get rid of DVDs, I realized how easy it was and that I didn't need all those movies, most of which I watched once or maybe twice and had no desire to revisit... Usually, before I buy a movie, I ask myself if I would watch it again. I find the answer is overwhelmingly "no".
Am I the only person who doesn't think that..? Personally, and from multiple friends and family members I HAVE regretted getting rid of things. At least a dozen people have pointedly had to re-buy things they regretted getting rid of... and often paid more for what they considered an error...

I also re-watch at least as much as I watch for the first time (I suppose watching with a child helps with that!), and find many first-time watches are things I can definitely see myseld watching again..
ntnon is offline  
Old 06-22-14, 01:27 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,614
Re: How Many DVDs?

I have a problem with duplicates in two categories: 1) either bought unwittingly, having forgotten that I'd already acquired it; or 2) having bought single volumes from TV series that I wound up buying as a complete box set later on. I have a pile of these duplicate DVDs/CDs in my foyer. I want to give them away or donate them to a library or collection, but I don't know who. The other option is to sell them back to Book Off, the used book/CD/DVD/game dealer where I actually bought most of them. But my big fear in doing that is: I might end up coming across them on the shelf on a visit to the store and buying them again! I'm thinking of photographing every cover in that pile and carrying the pix with me so I won't ever do that.
Ash Ketchum is offline  
Old 06-22-14, 03:01 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 20,893
Re: How Many DVDs?

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
I have a problem with duplicates in two categories: 1) either bought unwittingly, having forgotten that I'd already acquired it; or 2) having bought single volumes from TV series that I wound up buying as a complete box set later on. I have a pile of these duplicate DVDs/CDs in my foyer. I want to give them away or donate them to a library or collection, but I don't know who. The other option is to sell them back to Book Off, the used book/CD/DVD/game dealer where I actually bought most of them. But my big fear in doing that is: I might end up coming across them on the shelf on a visit to the store and buying them again! I'm thinking of photographing every cover in that pile and carrying the pix with me so I won't ever do that.
I use the Blu-ray.com app on my phone with my entire collection and that has helped me avoid duplicates. My suggestion will be to download that if you can...
LorenzoL is offline  
Old 06-22-14, 03:27 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 21,864
Re: How Many DVDs?

Originally Posted by ntnon View Post
Am I the only person who doesn't think that..? Personally, and from multiple friends and family members I HAVE regretted getting rid of things. At least a dozen people have pointedly had to re-buy things they regretted getting rid of... and often paid more for what they considered an error...

I also re-watch at least as much as I watch for the first time (I suppose watching with a child helps with that!), and find many first-time watches are things I can definitely see myseld watching again..
There are smart ways to thin the herd and dumb ways. Some people get too zealous in their haste to clear space and dump stuff they'll regret.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 06-22-14, 03:41 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
adrenaline78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Janesville, WI
Posts: 3,147
Re: How Many DVDs?

I've bought exactly 1 dvd in the past 2 years. It was an OOP dvd from europe that was never available in the US. Speed Zone. I buy blu-rays very sparingly too, maybe 1 every other month now. Had to cut back a ton as we went to a cash only system.
adrenaline78 is offline  
Old 06-22-14, 03:43 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,614
Re: How Many DVDs?

I just went through four or five boxes of kung fu VHS tapes in my closet and there's so much good stuff in there that I never upgraded because they came from gray-market companies who simply transferred the VHS to DVD when they made DVD editions so there was no improvement in quality. And they're all things I haven't watched in years and now I want to watch again. As well as titles I never actually watched, such as Sammo Hung's PAINTED FACES. Time to watch some of them for the Historical Challenge. I may have to transfer all of these to a digital format before I get too old to lug the boxes down from the closet. I'd hate getting rid of the physical tapes, but I have this nightmare scenario where in 20 years or so my daughter will decide I can't take care of myself and put me in a nursing home and force me to get rid of them. This is what middle-aged single fathers in this position have to look forward to. Time to get back to those yoga sessions.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 06-22-14 at 04:45 PM.
Ash Ketchum is offline  
Old 06-22-14, 03:51 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 1,402
Re: How Many DVDs?

Originally Posted by ntnon View Post
I read through some of that, but got a little sidetracked musing how apparent non-DVD-collectors wound up at DVDTalk...
I think you can be a movie buff or film collector and not have to own 100s of movies.

Originally Posted by ntnon View Post
Am I the only person who doesn't think that..? Personally, and from multiple friends and family members I HAVE regretted getting rid of things. At least a dozen people have pointedly had to re-buy things they regretted getting rid of... and often paid more for what they considered an error...

I also re-watch at least as much as I watch for the first time (I suppose watching with a child helps with that!), and find many first-time watches are things I can definitely see myseld watching again..
The only DVDs I've ever regretted selling off were my ADV sets of Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon R, but since Sailor Moon is being re-released starting later this year, I don't feel too bad about it.

When I dump movies, I'm not just pulling random movies out of my collection; they're typically movies I've been thinking about getting rid of for a while. Lots of them are blind buys I purchased years ago where I just wanted to check the movie out (which Netflix has helped me avoid) or they're movies I just fell out of love with.
big e is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.