The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-14, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Last night I watched TARZAN'S MAGIC FOUNTAIN from 1949, which was the first post-Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan movie. I enjoyed it far more than TARZAN AND THE MERMAIDS which was the finally Weissmuller pic from the year before, which was awful. I didn't find it as odd as I expected to see Lex Barker as Tarzan instead of Big Johnny W, but what was odd was the lack of mention of Boy. In the previous film he had been talked about a great deal even though he didn't appear (he was 'away at school') but he wasn't even mentioned here. It wouldn't have mattered so much except that Jane was still being played by Brenda Joyce who had previously played the character with Johnny. It was definitely a 'continuation' of that series but the lack of mention of Boy felt very strange.
Old 05-02-14, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

I decided to open with "Little House on the Prairie" s. 1 as the 2nd one is coming out soon and I wanted to decide if I liked it enough to continue to buy them. I picked up s. 1 BR when it was under 20 bucks and while I've only watched the pilot and 3 episodes, I think it was worth it. From a visual standpoint, the picture is very crisp and clear-you can tell it was cleaned up. The pilot is still a bit scratchy in places, but the episodes themselves are very nice.

Content wise, the show still delivers for me. Even the pilot is well done and kept me interested. Out of the 3 episodes, one was a bit iffy plot wise for me (Country Girls) though it is the first time we see Nellie. One thing I didn't think about until I started watching, is that since it's set far enough back in time, it ages well. There's no jarring dated technology or special effects, there's no weird clothing straight out of the 70s (or whenever) to take away from the story. It was a period piece then and it is now so I think that totally weighs in the shows favor and helped age it well.

We'll see if the next 21 episodes hold up as well or if I'll get tired of watching the Ingalls'.
Old 05-02-14, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Getting back to Star Trek: Voyager, I'm increasingly impressed with this series - reputedly considered one of the lesser. I presume it's lesser only because the others are better, rather than actually being worse...

That said, I'm wondering if anyone told the writers that Tom and B'Elanna were meant to be together/married, because it seems to be casually ignored at every turn. And the characterization/plot-jump between the end of Season 5 and the start of Season 6 is... bizarre. In an episode all about sticking to principles and not betraying one's oaths and humanity, Janeway completely shifts her position (pro-Starfleet, come what may) into a personal vendetta that includes jeopardising lives of the people she's looking down upon for jeopardising alien lives. Highly Illogical.

B'Elanna's journey to Klingon hell, Seven's reminder of the value of individuality and quality of life, and "Tinker,Tenor, Doctor, Spy" are brilliant, however. The operatic rewrite to describe Tuvok's medical state and the Doctor painting Seven were particularly hilarious! Plus the surely-classic Majel-as-computer line "Warning: Core breach a lot sooner than you'd think."

Last edited by ntnon; 05-02-14 at 04:14 AM.
Old 05-02-14, 04:43 AM

I've not watched VOYAGER much, just the odd episode here and there. I am part-way through a marathon rewatch of all Star Trek at the moment though, currently on Season 2 of Next Gen. I don't rush it, just an episode here and there, and am enjoying it thoroughly. However I'd love to be fully up-to-date as I then intend to read the post-series novels!
Old 05-02-14, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Found out last night, tennis is only to be watched when you can set aside a large block of time, no matter what the match is. Went to watch some tennis on WatchESPN last night, that I turned on about 8 or 8:30. It was still going when I couldn't hold my eyes open any longer at 11:30, and when I woke up in the night, about 2, still hadn't went off. So obviously didn't count it, since I slept through most of it.
Old 05-02-14, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Was in the mood for a nature documentary, so started today with an episode of Blue Planet. It was about the Coral seas. Corals are beautiful creatures.
Old 05-02-14, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ntnon
Getting back to Star Trek: Voyager, I'm increasingly impressed with this series - reputedly considered one of the lesser. I presume it's lesser only because the others are better, rather than actually being worse...

That said, I'm wondering if anyone told the writers that Tom and B'Elanna were meant to be together/married, because it seems to be casually ignored at every turn. And the characterization/plot-jump between the end of Season 5 and the start of Season 6 is... bizarre. In an episode all about sticking to principles and not betraying one's oaths and humanity, Janeway completely shifts her position (pro-Starfleet, come what may) into a personal vendetta that includes jeopardising lives of the people she's looking down upon for jeopardising alien lives. Highly Illogical.

B'Elanna's journey to Klingon hell, Seven's reminder of the value of individuality and quality of life, and "Tinker,Tenor, Doctor, Spy" are brilliant, however. The operatic rewrite to describe Tuvok's medical state and the Doctor painting Seven were particularly hilarious! Plus the surely-classic Majel-as-computer line "Warning: Core breach a lot sooner than you'd think."
Voyager has always been one of my favorite Star Trek series as well. Playing Star Trek Online, and reading those comments on Voyager has me tempted to re-add Star Trek as another tier in my challenge.
Old 05-02-14, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LJG765
I decided to open with "Little House on the Prairie" s. 1 as the 2nd one is coming out soon and I wanted to decide if I liked it enough to continue to buy them. I picked up s. 1 BR when it was under 20 bucks and while I've only watched the pilot and 3 episodes, I think it was worth it. From a visual standpoint, the picture is very crisp and clear-you can tell it was cleaned up. The pilot is still a bit scratchy in places, but the episodes themselves are very nice.

Content wise, the show still delivers for me. Even the pilot is well done and kept me interested. Out of the 3 episodes, one was a bit iffy plot wise for me (Country Girls) though it is the first time we see Nellie. One thing I didn't think about until I started watching, is that since it's set far enough back in time, it ages well. There's no jarring dated technology or special effects, there's no weird clothing straight out of the 70s (or whenever) to take away from the story. It was a period piece then and it is now so I think that totally weighs in the shows favor and helped age it well.

We'll see if the next 21 episodes hold up as well or if I'll get tired of watching the Ingalls'.
I've always enjoyed Little House on the Prairie. I own A New Beginning season on DVD, and may watch it next month for the Historical challenge.
Old 05-02-14, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by sharktrager
Last night I watched TARZAN'S MAGIC FOUNTAIN from 1949, which was the first post-Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan movie. I enjoyed it far more than TARZAN AND THE MERMAIDS which was the finally Weissmuller pic from the year before, which was awful. I didn't find it as odd as I expected to see Lex Barker as Tarzan instead of Big Johnny W, but what was odd was the lack of mention of Boy. In the previous film he had been talked about a great deal even though he didn't appear (he was 'away at school') but he wasn't even mentioned here. It wouldn't have mattered so much except that Jane was still being played by Brenda Joyce who had previously played the character with Johnny. It was definitely a 'continuation' of that series but the lack of mention of Boy felt very strange.
I've not seen any of the post-Weissmuller Tarzan films in decades. When I was a kid a local station ran a Tarzan/Shirley Temple block *every* Saturday afternoon at one o'clock. They ran *all* the Tarzan films and I watched every one, every week. I liked Brenda Joyce as Jane and it didn't hurt that she was in that first film with Barker as it helped ease the transition.

I don't recall missing Boy in that film but he'd gotten older and I watched mainly for Tarzan anyway. At this point Sheffield had left the Tarzan series to star in the Bomba films so that's probably why Boy wasn't mentioned. What I recall bothering me more was that Jane was a different actress for each of the 5 films with Barker and several films into that series they tried to introduce a replacement for Boy.

Even though I generally liked the Barker films I was always excited when the Weissmuller films made it back around on the schedule. For some reason I prefered even the lesser of those to the Barker films, though looking at some of the synopsis of the Barker films I can't imagine why. I remember seeing those and, from what I recall, the plots were generally superior to those last few Weissmuller films.
Old 05-02-14, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I've not seen any of the post-Weissmuller Tarzan films in decades. When I was a kid a local station ran a Tarzan/Shirley Temple block *every* Saturday afternoon at one o'clock. They ran *all* the Tarzan films and I watched every one, every week. I liked Brenda Joyce as Jane and it didn't hurt that she was in that first film with Barker as it helped ease the transition.

I don't recall missing Boy in that film but he'd gotten older and I watched mainly for Tarzan anyway. At this point Sheffield had left the Tarzan series to star in the Bomba films so that's probably why Boy wasn't mentioned. What I recall bothering me more was that Jane was a different actress for each of the 5 films with Barker and several films into that series they tried to introduce a replacement for Boy.

Even though I generally liked the Barker films I was always excited when the Weissmuller films made it back around on the schedule. For some reason I prefered even the lesser of those to the Barker films, though looking at some of the synopsis of the Barker films I can't imagine why. I remember seeing those and, from what I recall, the plots were generally superior to those last few Weissmuller films.
I'm gradually acquiring the Bomba (and indeed the Jungle Jim) movies in preparation for the B-movie challenge next year. Interesting to read what you say about Jane being played by different actresses in each of the Barker movies, I wasn't aware of that.
Old 05-02-14, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ntnon
I've always liked Voyager more than some of the others, especially TNG (as I've mentioned before, probably my least favorite Trek series).
Old 05-02-14, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
...Sheffield had left the Tarzan series to star in the Bomba films so that's probably why Boy wasn't mentioned.
In doing some supplimental reading it turns out that is incorrect. Yes, he'd left the Tarzan series but that was because he'd gotten "too big for the part" (he was 16 in Tarzan and the Huntress, his last film as Boy) which is why he was "away at school" in Tarzan and the Mermaids. There was never any intention for Sheffield to return to the role and they'd apparently not considered a replacement until later into the Barker run. Monogram found out Sheffield had been dropped and hired him for the lead in the Bomba series. He did 12 Bomba films and then left acting.
Old 05-02-14, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I got together with some friends and watched lots of gossipers in Sweet Smell of Success, one of my favorite films. All of my friends enjoyed it, and we had a great conversation about it afterward. I'm still in awe of the use of shadows and framing. In several scenes, the positioning and movement of the characters make me think of a chess match or a ballet.

After I got home, I watched the first episode of One Tree Hill. I'm hoping to get through the backlog of teen dramas in my unwatched list. The episode dredged up a lot of the warm, fuzzy feelings I have of the show.
Old 05-02-14, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

May 2, and I just finished Blue Planet. If I keep this rate up, I'll finish all my documentaries before the Historical Challenge, which is no problem. Documentaries are one of my favorite genres and I love to rewatch them.
Old 05-02-14, 11:52 AM

It's not on my challenge list but my kids are making me watch Beethoven - the one with the dog. He's so cute!
Old 05-02-14, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I got together with some friends and watched lots of gossipers in Sweet Smell of Success, one of my favorite films.
I'll be watching this for the first time on the Criterion Blu-ray for my National Film Registry Challenge. I've seen clips and it looks astounding.
Old 05-02-14, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by indiephantom
I'll be watching this for the first time on the Criterion Blu-ray for my National Film Registry Challenge. I've seen clips and it looks astounding.
Awesome! It's a great film, and the Criterion BD looks absolutely amazing. You've probably seen it, but I'll share this short commercial Criterion did.
Old 05-02-14, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Here's the list of participants and challenges from the list thread as it is now. Let me know if I've made any mistakes.

Name
Challenge Theme
Dimension X "Something Weird Video Challenge"
terrycloth "The Super Heroic Wrestling Challenge!"
Cardsfan111 "Operation: Cut the Cord" Challenge
shadokitty "Sports/Documentary/Animal Shows Challenge"
Mondo Kane "Comic Book/Superhero Challenge"
pacaway "Cleaning Up 'The Things I'm Planning On Watching Soon', or 'I've Bought Recently and Haven't Put Away' Lying Around the Bedroom, Before My Wife Kills Me" Challenge
KaBluie "The Original And It's Remake(s)" Challenge
SterlingBen "31 Days Of Black Friday Challenge"
LJG765 "TV Shows on DVD/BR" Challenge
lisadoris "Women Solving Crimes Challenge"
Trevor "Criterion Supplements" Challenge
malazar "30 for 30/JoJo's/Criterion Challenge"
MrTerrific "The West Wing / Farscape Challenge 2014"
mrcellophane "The Helen Lovejoy Challenge"
Greg MacGuffin "X-Files Challenge"
BobO'Link "Run Away The British Are Coming" Challenge
indiephantom "National Film Registry Challenge!"
Bladz "2014 Weird Movie Challenge"
The Man with the Golden Doujinshi ???
acubfaninmd "I Check Movies Challenge"
ntnon "Adaptations and Spin-Offs / Classics and Lists" Challenge
pagefrance "MUSIC ON DVD CHALLENGE"
sharktrager 30 Rock/ST:TNG/Knots Landing/Dark Shadows/Tarzan Challenge
davidh777 "Finish Unwatched TV and Watch Warner Archive MOD" Challenge
wayoutjunk "Musicals Challenge"
omike "Made In Japan Challenge"
SnapDawg "Kaiju Film Challenge"
walletboyniac "The Wild, Weird World of Japanese Cinema" + "I'm Gonna Finish Frasier" Challenge
ross_r "Rock Concert Tour Marathon" Challenge
Indy24LA ???
JennandTheCats "The Beginning, The End & Somewhere In Between" Challenge
mcline87 "CATEGORICAL MAYHEM" Challenge
PCBreakdown "Underwatched Movie Challenge"
Giles "Just the Facts" Challenge
konekonoir "The Family Movie and Television Challenge"
HyperWeather "The Sports Challenge Season 2"
ororama "Cops, Detectives, Criminals and Crime on TV" Challenge
Old 05-02-14, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For my next DVD set, decided to revisit Season 1 of Ancient Aliens. I don't believe any of the 'theories', but it makes for entertaining viewing, and you still learn about ancient people.
Old 05-02-14, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with my two watches today...

I enjoyed Iron Man 2 alot more then i remember and i disliked The Incredible Hulk alot more then i remember. I havent seen either one since theyre theatrical run i believe.

i also read 5 issues of Indestructible Hulk and some Moon Knight going to read some journey in mystery and get ready to watch thor!
Old 05-02-14, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycloth
I enjoyed Iron Man 2 alot more then i remember and i disliked The Incredible Hulk alot more then i remember. I havent seen either one since theyre theatrical run i believe.
I also liked IM2 more the second time I saw it (Prior to first seeing Avengers on BD)

I don't own Incredible Hulk and I haven't seen it in it's entirety since it's theatrical run either. But the DVR's set for a recording later on this month (It's either or FX or AMC) Wonder how that revisit will go.
Old 05-02-14, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Started re-watching The Closer last night and this is the first time I've seen these episodes since the series finished. It's weird seeing where the characters began considering where they ended up.
Old 05-02-14, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycloth
with my two watches today...

i also read 5 issues of Indestructible Hulk and some Moon Knight going to read some journey in mystery and get ready to watch thor!
I've only watched IM2 once, but it was better than I thought it was going to be from the previews. Incredible Hulk was awful though. It's my least favorite of these movies and very low on the list for me in general. As much as I usually enjoy Ed Norton, I was glad when Ruffalo took his place in The Avengers.
Old 05-02-14, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im a huge fan of the Hulk growing up with the comics and tv show and was seriously disappointed in the Hulk so i think when i went in to seeing The incredible hulk my expectations were low and walked away with a decent action movie, but yeah with so many great comic movies since I guess i held it to a higher standard and prefer the new bruce banner so much more.

Iv now read some thor books and first appearance of Loki and watching Thor
Old 05-02-14, 06:44 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Finally decided to go with the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon Challenge. It might be a cheat, but I don't wanna be tied to anything right now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.