DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Does RedBox let you buy DVDs?

Old 01-27-14, 11:42 AM

Does RedBox let you buy DVDs?

There's a Pac-Man DVD that was just released exclusively to RedBox. I'd like to own it instead of renting it. I've never used RedBox, but I read a few years ago they started letting you buy DVDs from the machines for $5. Is this option still available and is it at all RedBox machines?
Old 01-27-14, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Does RedBox let you buy DVDs?

From their customer service page:

There are used discs for sale in some boxes. To see what’s for sale, press the "For Sale" button on the browse screen. If you don’t see the button, then no discs are for sale at that box.
So sounds like it's hit or miss.
Old 01-27-14, 12:15 PM

They will "let" you buy a DVD if you never check it in. In other words, they'll keep charging you late fees until the full retail price has been paid...
Old 01-27-14, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Of course you lose out on the original packaging, if there is any considering it is a RedBox exclusive. You also get the barcoded hub sticker as well.

Maybe RedBox sells them through their website?
Old 01-27-14, 03:51 PM

Also, there's a good chance that it's only "exclusive" for a limited time. There may be a retail version later.
Old 01-27-14, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It may be worth calling Redbox customer service

1 (866) 733-2693
Old 01-28-14, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by mythmaker18 View Post
Also, there's a good chance that it's only "exclusive" for a limited time. There may be a retail version later.
Oh that's a good point. This DVD is "Indiana Pac", which shows an episode from Season 1 of the new "Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures" series. It would be weird if after RedBox stops carrying it, there'd be no way for people to buy the entire Season 1 on DVD.
Old 01-28-14, 01:42 PM

Just to give an update in case anyone finds this information useful.

I called RedBox and they said that only certain RedBox locations have the option to purchase DVDs for $7, and those locations will only sell DVDs that they are removing from their inventory. The person I talked to had no idea how long they offer titles before they remove them and whether they would be available for sale before they removed them. The person also couldn't tell me which locations near me had the purchase option. I checked one near me and it didn't have it.

Anyway, I rented the "Indiana Pac" DVD and think I will keep it and pay the $25. The more I think about it, the more I'm not sure they will sell it in stores in the future. They have at least 6 different "Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures" DVDs with episodes from Season 1, and 4 of them are exclusives - 2 at RedBox, 1 at Walmart, and 1 at Target. With so many exclusives I'm not sure they would make them all non-exclusive later?
Old 02-01-14, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't know anything about this, but here is a link a S1 set on eBay. Will that get you what you want?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAC-MAN-SEAS...item51b16ed5aa

Personally I'd wait and check eBay. $25 for a used disc w/ no artwork seems really excessive.
Old 02-01-14, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks View Post
I don't know anything about this, but here is a link a S1 set on eBay. Will that get you what you want?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAC-MAN-SEAS...item51b16ed5aa
That is for the old 1980s cartoon. They created a new series last year and are releasing the DVDs now, one of which is exclusive to Redbox.