Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How OCD are you when it comes to collecting DVDs/Blu-rays? Two questions.

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-31-13, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts

1. If you buy a season of a TV show on disc, do you then feel compelled to buy the whole series run? And as a corollary, will you buy individual seasons of a show out of order? For instance, could you buy Season 3 of a show that had a 6-year run and be satisfied...or would you have to at the very least buy Seasons 1 and 2 to "justify" buying Season 3?

2. Do you remove every one of these that you come across, or do you leave them alone (the thing I'm talking about is the black thing above the disc, adhered to the case)?

My answers: 1) Yes, I feel compelled to buy the whole series, and I hate having gaps in a run. I picked up Season 2 of FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE SERIES at Big Lots, and it drives me nuts knowing that I don't have the other two seasons. I had Season 2 only of ALLY MCBEAL for the longest time, until I couldn't take it any more and broke down and bought Season 1. I still feel that I need to finish the series run, but as long as there are no gaps, I can wait on the others for a while. 2) I remove Every. Single. One. Why? Beats me, but I can't stand them.

Your turn. Be honest. And a Happy New Year to all!

Last edited by rbrown498; 12-31-13 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-31-13, 09:49 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts
Re: How OCD are you when it comes to collecting DVDs/Blu-rays? Two questions.

If I'm going to buy a series, I've got to have the whole thing, maybe not all at once but preferably in order. I always remove the magnetic strip, can't stand to have them in there, don't consider it any part of my collection, it's more like an intruder. I don't have a detector at my door so there's no point leaving them in there. If I ultimately sell one of my DVDs/BDs, I can't see that strip as being any kind of a deal breaker for a potential buyer. If it is, then they didn't want the Like New/spotless movie badly enough...
Old 12-31-13, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

1. No. I've bought a number of seasons of shows and not been interested enough to continue. Often a representative sampling is all I need, and of course these days a lot of shows are available via streaming. It does irk me a bit to be missing a season or two of a show I really like, or to have mixed formats.

2. Nope, doesn't bother me.
Old 12-31-13, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 625 Likes on 459 Posts

I don't *have* to have an entire run of a series but *do* complete the vast majority. There are only a few series I've collected where I don't really care much for the entire run. For such series I'll typically purchase up to the point where I lost interest during the original run *unless* there's only a season or two left and then I'll just get the whole shebang (a couple of dozen I own fit that description). I currently have 8 or 9 series (out of over 200) for which I've stopped collecting as I have all I want (cast changes, change in show content, etc. caused me to not care for subsequent seasons).

I *will* purchase out of order but will *not* start watching unless I can start with S1. If I have a gap I stop watching that series until the gap has been filled.

I remove all the security tags I can get to as long as the removal doesn't damage the case (if it's on paper/cardboard I leave it alone but it annoys the crap out of me). I absolutely *hate* those digipaks where the tag is under the plastic where it can't be removed!
Old 01-01-14, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

Regarding television shows, it can differ depending on the type of show. For dramas, I'd collect/watch them in order. I often times jump around in comedies picking up various seasons when I find a good deal. I watched season 3 of M*A*S*H recently having never watched any of the other seasons. I enjoyed it so I can see myself picking up the first 2 seasons at some point.

I've never bothered with the security tag thing you mention. Too much work involved.
Old 01-01-14, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
1. If you buy a season of a TV show on disc, do you then feel compelled to buy the whole series run? And as a corollary, will you buy individual seasons of a show out of order? For instance, could you buy Season 3 of a show that had a 6-year run and be satisfied...or would you have to at the very least buy Seasons 1 and 2 to "justify" buying Season 3?
My main concern when buying TV shows that I'm interested in is price. I have such a backlog of movies and TV seasons that I have no problem buying a later season on sale and then waiting patiently for the earlier seasons to hit a good price point before picking them up. I don't like to skip seasons or watch things out of order so any "rogue" seasons go to the bottom of my queue until I pick up the missing seasons.

If I buy a TV season, especially a later season or multiple seasons, I do feel compelled to complete the series. Not enough to pay crazy prices to do so but I'll certainly keep an eye out for deals on the missing seasons.

There's a degree of "risk" no matter how you approach this when blind buying. If you buy three seasons of a show and later come to learn that you hate the first season, you've wasted money on the additional seasons. If you pass on good deals on later seasons until you can get the first season, you may never see those deals again (Black Friday, clearance, error, release week, etc.). Since there's little that I find completely unwatchable, I tend to gamble that I'll like the show if I find the premise interesting and it has good reviews.

Originally Posted by rbrown498
2. Do you remove every one of these that you come across, or do you leave them alone (the thing I'm talking about is the black thing above the disc, adhered to the case)?
I leave them. This is another one of those situations in which I'm afraid of doing more harm than good - damaging the case trying to get a stubborn security tag off. They don't annoy me enough to mess with them.
Old 01-01-14, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

1- Depends on the price and how much I really care about it. I've bought random seasons of TV shows for around 5 bucks at Big Lots, and won't buy the rest at full price unless I watch the seasons I have and decide whether I like them enough. I've bought every Simpsons release the week they came out though, and will keep buying them as long as they keep coming out, no matter how bad the shows get.

2- I keep the security tags as they are, since I consider them part of the original packaging. I remember the first DVD I got with a security tag (it was "Hair") and thought the store had stuck it in there themselves, but turned out studios were putting them there. That's OK with me, however since they started shipping discs in slipcovers with no shrinkwrap on them, I've refused to buy any from stores that stick price tags on them. I don't want to risk ruining the slipcover removing them, and leaving them on looks like I'd bought it used, which I never do. One thing I've done with all media that includes labels on the shrinkwrap (like listing of DVD features, or on records and CDs saying "Contains the hit song....") is I cut those out with scissors and keep them inside the cover, as I also consider those part of the original packaging. The labels on top (which seem to be disappearing from DVDs and Blu-Rays) I've carefully peeled off and stuck on any empty surface I can find- on DVDs usually it's the back side of the cover insert, on Blu-Rays they usually stick on the inside of the cases themselves unless it's a stupid Eco-Case.
Old 01-01-14, 02:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

1 - Yes, I feel compelled to complete the run; but I'm very patient and will wait for $5 per season on stuff I don't care for much.

2 - It has to stay. It is part of the total original package and removing it would be as bad as throwing away the slipcover or the spine sticker.
Old 01-01-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

Purchase based on pricing and deals. But recently I've only been buying 'complete series' so it's not an issue. I normally want to get the whole series, if it's a series I'm interested in buying most of, odds are I'll like or at least tolerate the remaining seasons.
I generally watch in order, but that's due more to my completionist/want to check them off nature than anything else, at least for shows where the order doesn't really matter.

I don't think I ever really noticed that thing. If it's loose, I'm sure I take it off, but if it's not, they're probably still there.
Old 01-01-14, 02:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only OCD thing I can think of is that I have Superman/Batman Public Enemies and Superman/Batman Apocalypse. They both have slipcovers, but my copy of Public Enemies didn't come with it as Amazon seems to have been a bit of a butt about not sending it even after 3 tries.... Kind of bugs me, but I've dealt with it.
Old 01-01-14, 02:55 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

1. I always start with season 1, and will see it out if it maintains my interest.

2. I pull the security tags. Hate 'em.
Old 01-01-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

These issues bothered me when I had 200 DVDs in my collection...back in 1998. Once you get a few thousand in your collection, it gets hard to care at all about them. People need to learn to channel their OCD tendencies into more fruitful endeavors.
Old 01-01-14, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
These issues bothered me when I had 200 DVDs in my collection...back in 1998. Once you get a few thousand in your collection, it gets hard to care at all about them. People need to learn to channel their OCD tendencies into more fruitful endeavors.
I only wish this were true for me--I'm over 4,000 now and it probably drives me crazier these days than it did when I only had a couple hundred. If I could channel my OCD tendencies into another direction, I surely would...but it's the C in OCD that prevents my letting go.
Old 01-01-14, 06:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Absolutely agree 100%
Old 01-01-14, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

1) I'm not a big TV guy at all so I can live without complete seasons

2) I used to ALWAYS have to remove those whenever I would go store-hopping, where I used to live, about 5 years ago (Target,B&N,Best Buy and Suncoast were all within walking distance next to each other and, after purchasing discs, I'd have to reach in and tear those suckers out so they wouldn't set off alarms at other stores I'd go to) I'll echo what BobO'Link said about the digipack problems. My Once Upon a Time in America was a casualty.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 01-01-14 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-01-14, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

For Japanese series that tell a complete, self-contained story (the overwhelming majority of them), I'll get the complete series if the price is right or if I really want it bad enough. And I have about 100 complete Japanese series, both anime and live-action. For long-running, open-ended series, like Dragonball Z, Pokémon, and Naruto, I won't get the whole series. Although between DVDs and taping off TV, I probably have most of DBZ and Pokémon anyway.

For American series, no. E.g., I have season one of Police Story, season three of Bonanza and season one of The Untouchables and feel no compulsion to get the rest.

Yes, I pull the magnetic strip off as soon as I see it.
Old 01-01-14, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

I'm not compelled to buy the whole series run and unless it will somehow tear the packaging I always remove the security tag.
Old 01-01-14, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to be a little OCD where TV seasons are concerned, same with movie series. As I've gotten older, I've managed to break myself of that. Financially, it makes no sense, and it's just depressing letting them just sit there on the shelf unwatched. I buy what I think will have some repeat value for myself. For instance, I purchased the first season of "Human Target" but not the second because I didn't enjoy the second season. If I were ever to buy season of the original "Dallas", I'd probably skip the "dream" season. Additionally, I have no problems purchasing seasons out of order.

As for the black security tags, I don't sweat 'em.
Old 01-01-14, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

1. I will stop collecting a season if I feel the show took a quality dip, and it doesn't hurt the overall arc as much. I stopped 24 after season 4 for example...come to think of it, 24 is the only show I stopped buying. I guess if I buy a TV show on DVD/Blu-Ray I'm sticking till the end of watching for a Complete Series box set.

2. Always. I hate em.
Old 01-02-14, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. I have 120 tv shows at last count. I prefer to get the complete series sets especially if they have more extras. I don't need to buy a series in order and have some random seasons thanks to deals at Big Lots. I don't watch them out of order they just stay in the unwatched until the series is complete. Am actually working on updating my list of tv seasons and seeing what I still need to buy. I have some where am only missing a season or two. I like to spent no more then $10/season so I have patience.

2. They brother me but not enough to spent a long time trying to remove them.