Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Third Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2013

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-13, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: The Third Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2013

I can't believe the movies I have to admit to being First Time Views in these challenges, but today, as a military themed movie, I watched M*A*S*H today for the first time!
Old 11-12-13, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: The Third Annual November Comedy Challenge *Discussion Thread* Nov 1-30, 2013

Originally Posted by pacaway
I can't believe the movies I have to admit to being First Time Views in these challenges, but today, as a military themed movie, I watched M*A*S*H today for the first time!
I saw - and thoroughly enjoyed - Stripes. What's starting to get to me, though, is that having formerly (mostly) only seen Bill Murray in Ghostbusters, the more of his films I watch the less I like him. I imagine it could just be his "comedy persona" that I'm not liking much rather than him, but still... watching things in the 'wrong' order he seems to be getting cockier and more irritating by the film..!
Old 11-12-13, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ntnon
I saw - and thoroughly enjoyed - Stripes. What's starting to get to me, though, is that having formerly (mostly) only seen Bill Murray in Ghostbusters, the more of his films I watch the less I like him. I imagine it could just be his "comedy persona" that I'm not liking much rather than him, but still... watching things in the 'wrong' order he seems to be getting cockier and more irritating by the film..!
He has often played that arrogant, overconfident jerk, you're right. But he is great in so many other movies, more so when he plays it straight and isn't intentionally trying to ham it up. Maybe that exactly proves you're point about his "comedy persona". Of course that worked perfectly for him in Groundhog Day.
Old 11-12-13, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Just started disc 2 of Vandread this morning. I'm enjoying the series. 5 more episodes, and then onto Vandread The Second Stage and the OVAs.
Old 11-12-13, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Sunday, I finally watched It with Clara Bow. While I had seen a couple of Bow's shorts (or clips of her in feature films), I hadn't seen her arguably most famous film, and I absolutely loved it. Of course, it's a silly little story that relies on plot contrivances and a dynamic woman falling for an extremely bland man, but Bow is so infectiously jovial that I bought into the film.

I also rewatched Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (on BD no less). My college roommate was a huge Mike Myers fan, so this film was often on in our apartment and I found it really annoying. I was not into parodies or broad comedies at the time. However, now I enjoyed it. Like Clara Bow, Mike Myers is so excited that you can’t help but find something like charm in his performance. Oddly enough, Myers isn’t the first thing I think about when remembering the movie. I think first of Will Ferrell’s cameo as Mustafa, Mindy Sterling as campy Frau Farbissina, and sexy Michael York as debonair Basil Exposition (I have a thing for Michael York).
Old 11-12-13, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I also rewatched Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (on BD no less). My college roommate was a huge Mike Myers fan, so this film was often on in our apartment and I found it really annoying. I was not into parodies or broad comedies at the time. However, now I enjoyed it. Like Clara Bow, Mike Myers is so excited that you can’t help but find something like charm in his performance. Oddly enough, Myers isn’t the first thing I think about when remembering the movie. I think first of Will Ferrell’s cameo as Mustafa, Mindy Sterling as campy Frau Farbissina, and sexy Michael York as debonair Basil Exposition (I have a thing for Michael York).
Used quote this time as I'm on my ps3. I always think of who does number 2 work for?
Old 11-12-13, 10:47 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Check out Broken Flowers for a great non-cocky Bill Murray. It gets mixed reviews, but I really liked it. Murray has a great understated tone. And how can I forget Rushmore? Although I guess he has a bit of snarkiness in that. He's done so many great movies. I actually like his 'tude.
Old 11-12-13, 04:45 PM

He has often played that arrogant, overconfident jerk, you're right. But he is great in so many other movies, more so when he plays it straight and isn't intentionally trying to ham it up. Maybe that exactly proves you're point about his "comedy persona". Of course that worked perfectly for him in Groundhog Day.
Hm. Groundhog Day. One of my favourite films..... which does indeed probably disprove my fear that the persona was him, so I'll claim foolhardiness based on not having seen it in ages and be reassured! Thank you.
Old 11-12-13, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Michael York is indeed great (no 'thing' here, though! ). I'd never seen Austin Powers until this week - I'd started to watch at least one (probably) two of them when they came on TV over the years, and had always turned them off when they just weren't funny (or were smutty - particularly if in company). That, plus not really liking Mr Myers and also having watched Ms Hurley attempt to act her way through Bedazzled the other day, I approached it with great trepidation.

And enjoyed it thoroughly! Ms Hurley was actually fairly good, the plot was strong (enough), the references and parodic elements all worked well, and Mr Myers did a great job. (I'm sure some modicum of enjoyment also came in no small part because Mr Ferrell was barely in it, too..!)
Old 11-12-13, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hm. Groundhog Day. One of my favourite films..... which does indeed probably disprove my fear that the persona was him, so I'll claim foolhardiness based on not having seen it in ages and be reassured! Thank you.
No time like the present month to rectify that problem! That should be an annual view!
Old 11-12-13, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Michael York is indeed great (no 'thing' here, though! ). I'd never seen Austin Powers until this week - I'd started to watch at least one (probably) two of them when they came on TV over the years, and had always turned them off when they just weren't funny (or were smutty - particularly if in company). That, plus not really liking Mr Myers and also having watched Ms Hurley attempt to act her way through Bedazzled the other day, I approached it with great trepidation.

And enjoyed it thoroughly! Ms Hurley was actually fairly good, the plot was strong (enough), the references and parodic elements all worked well, and Mr Myers did a great job. (I'm sure some modicum of enjoyment also came in no small part because Mr Ferrell was barely in it, too..!)
Welcome to the dark side!
Old 11-12-13, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

IMHO the first film is a fairly good spy spoof. Not great, but definitely worth a few viewings. I got a few chuckles from it and, like you, was surprised that Ms. Hurley can actually act if everything is in place.

The second was OK but the comedy frequently felt forced or unfinished. I picked up the third for $1 at BL several years back. If they'd given *me* the $1 *and* the DVD it would still be overpriced! I found it puerile or disgusting most of the time. I've kept it because my OCD won't let me break up the "set" but it'll *never* be viewed by me again.
Old 11-12-13, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I've been remis!

Yesterday, 11/11/13, was Trevor and Jen's 2 year anniversary and Jen *still* lets him hang with us!

Everyone wish them well!

Belated Happy Anniversary, Trevor!
Old 11-12-13, 09:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The Black Adder or all the Blackadders..?
All of the Blackadders. The first season is by far my least favorite.
Old 11-13-13, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I've been remis!

Yesterday, 11/11/13, was Trevor and Jen's 2 year anniversary and Jen *still* lets him hang with us!

Everyone wish them well!

Belated Happy Anniversary, Trevor!
Happy Anniversary Trevor.

Started on Disc 2 of Tales From the Crypt Season 2 today. Never realized it was a comedy until I saw someone list it. But after seeing a few episodes, I can see how some have some dark humor in them.
Old 11-13-13, 08:57 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Thanks Bob and all. Yes, some how, Jen has put up with me for two years and seems ready for 100 more.

Started the month strong with the crossover time and then daily episodes of Arrested Development, Orange is the New Black, and/or Teen Titans Go!; but have now slowed down due to life getting in the way and a push to finally finish Lost. This last season seems like a big joke so far, so maybe I can count it ...?
Old 11-13-13, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Happy Anniversary Trevor.

Started on Disc 2 of Tales From the Crypt Season 2 today. Never realized it was a comedy until I saw someone list it. But after seeing a few episodes, I can see how some have some dark humor in them.
The Crypt Keeper segments are definitely comedy, and the stories can be too. Maybe I'll watch a few.
Originally Posted by Trevor
Thanks Bob and all. Yes, some how, Jen has put up with me for two years and seems ready for 100 more.
I keep forgetting your anniversary. I meant to make the 11th "Romantic Comedy" day last year, and I forgot again this year (but Veteran's Day would've won out anyway). Maybe next year.
Originally Posted by Trevor
Started the month strong with the crossover time and then daily episodes of Arrested Development, Orange is the New Black, and/or Teen Titans Go!; but have now slowed down due to life getting in the way and a push to finally finish Lost. This last season seems like a big joke so far, so maybe I can count it ...?
I know it's comedy, but I haven't listed any of the Teen Titans Go! eps I've watched because IMDb doesn't call it "comedy," and I didn't want anyone to complain. I'll list the ones I watch from now on (if they show any more I haven't seen before).
Old 11-13-13, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watched a couple episodes of Lost in Space today, as imdb had comedy listed as one of the genres. However, seeing as the first season is more serious and I don't own season two, I'm only watching season three in this challenge. Season three seemed more of the comical Dr. Smith I always thought.
Old 11-14-13, 02:13 AM

Miss Congeniality is hilarious. Plus, I had no idea that Michael Caine and William Shatner were in it. And it really is just packed full of quotable and memorable lines... although it's tempting to think that nothing tops Michael Caine saying "Be the crown..." This is going to be high up on my list this month, I suspect.

...and on the other hand, I finally saw Buckaroo Banzai after years and years of hearing how it's an endlessly quotable piece of cult brilliance. And I did not get it, or enjoy it or remember anything that even approaches quotability . Maybe I was in the wrong mood or something...? I was really disappointed.
Old 11-14-13, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I know it's comedy, but I haven't listed any of the Teen Titans Go! eps I've watched because IMDb doesn't call it "comedy," and I didn't want anyone to complain. I'll list the ones I watch from now on (if they show any more I haven't seen before).
Nuts to the IMDb. DC/Warner make it, and they say "..a series of fun, frantic and entirely new comedic adventures on Cartoon Network. Mixing super laughs with its super heroics, Teen Titans Go! focuses on the funny that happens in between saving the world and living together as teenagers without adult supervision."
Old 11-14-13, 02:28 AM

IMHO the first film is a fairly good spy spoof. Not great, but definitely worth a few viewings. I got a few chuckles from it and, like you, was surprised that Ms. Hurley can actually act if everything is in place.
My impression is that everyone involved actually put the effort into making a "spy spoof," and enough people understood what that entailed to do a great job. If I remember right, Mr Myers is actually one of those 'true fans' of various things. (Which make some of his turns all the more disappointing, but the good choices better.)

The second was OK but the comedy frequently felt forced or unfinished. I picked up the third for $1 at BL several years back. If they'd given *me* the $1 *and* the DVD it would still be overpriced! I found it puerile or disgusting most of the time. I've kept it because my OCD won't let me break up the "set" but it'll *never* be viewed by me again.
That was my impression of the whole series, so I was really pleased to find it so easily dismissed by the first. The childishness was definitely there, but it was the right sort of childishness. It felt like actual satire/lampooning ("Pussy Galore") rather than smut-for-its-own-sake. I assume both that the sequels either misunderstood the popularity of the first OR (more worryingly) noticed that a large part of their audience just wanted 'Galore' jokes.

I really don't like the 'modern' (esp. Sandler/Ferrell/Russell-------Brand) school of sex/bodily functions/swearing passed off as a joke. Those things are not funny because they exist, at best they can (sometimes) be made funny through context and intent.

(At the risk of undermining that point, but in an attempt to underscore it, South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut is very, very funny and clever because it takes all these childish, 'rude' elements and a) adds context, b) subverts the smut, c) ties it to satire and "reality" and d) shatters the criticism by being so over the top and up front with it all. Billy Connelly is a comic genius who happens to swear a lot. Stand ups who just shout "F--k!" instead of tell jokes are talentless fools.)
Old 11-14-13, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by MrTerrific
All of the Blackadders. The first season is by far my least favorite.
Good, good! I will note, though, that for me the first series improves immeasurably after repeated viewings - and might possibly be better appreciated if one reads up on the actual history. The Blackadder seems, on reflection, to be a fairly decent alternate world send-up of real history; the later series' better fit into the 'sitcom' mode (while still being great fake-history and parody in addition to broad comedy). For historical and social commentary, obviously, nothing beats the end to Goes Forth, but the disturbing accuracy of some of the the best comic moments in The Third (electioneering, pimpernel, class) are brilliant on several levels. Rowan Atkinson is best in II, and Miranda Richardson is superb... so every version has is great points! I've decided, though, that "least favourite" is quite a good way of putting it - it used to be the "worst," for me, but now I think that that sells it short, so I like your choice of words!
Old 11-14-13, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got seriously burned last night (figuratively of course). Spring Breakers showed up on Netflix and allmovie.com called it a comedy. (All-be-it a 'black comedy'). There is nothing funny about that movie. And I don't mean I didn't get the jokes, I mean it is not a comedy! Beware! It is one of the worst movies I've seen. Seriously 0 stars on ANY scale. The pacing is horrendous and it has no flow whatsoever. Just offensive and boring. Not entertaining in any way. Even the continuous glimpses of soft-core nudity do not make this film worth wasting your time on, and it is NOT comedy in any way.

Save yourselves!
Old 11-14-13, 09:51 AM

Nothing Sacred... "show them the finger, babe."

Ernst Lubitsch's That Uncertain Feeling is great. Really laugh-out-loud funny on many occasions. Really very enjoyable.

Last edited by ntnon; 11-14-13 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-14-13, 10:06 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I got seriously burned last night (figuratively of course). Spring Breakers showed up on Netflix and allmovie.com called it a comedy. (All-be-it a 'black comedy'). There is nothing funny about that movie. And I don't mean I didn't get the jokes, I mean it is not a comedy! Beware! It is one of the worst movies I've seen. Seriously 0 stars on ANY scale. The pacing is horrendous and it has no flow whatsoever. Just offensive and boring. Not entertaining in any way. Even the continuous glimpses of soft-core nudity do not make this film worth wasting your time on, and it is NOT comedy in any way.

Save yourselves!
I actually bought Spring Breakers because I was intrigued by the hype. It might be the most poorly-directed movie I've ever seen. Completely inept storytelling. It's not even really a story. Some stuff happens... on rare occasion. James Franco sucks. I guess if you like redundancy and an aimless, meandering story, you might like this movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.